PDA

View Full Version : Moglin 5e

Thecutter0
2015-11-25, 01:52 PM
I'm trying fix up some homebrew I was given and I'm looking to make it on par with other races as far as playability. This is what I have thus far, the sub races are my addition so that's what we have to work on.

Moglin:
Ability score modifier: +2 CHA, +1 WIS
Alignment: Any good (I'll allow any too, it's just lore vise they are either NG or CG, or ebil - basically CN - at worst)
Size: Small
Speed: 25 FT
Skills:
Ageless: They cannot be magically aged and aren't effected by old age
Nature stick: You are proficient with quarterstaf
Healing nature: You gain the ability to cast Healing Word once per short rest as a bonus action and charisma is its spell casting stat.

So currently I added this:
-Yellow Moglin: Just the above
-Red: +1 CON instead of +1 WIS proficient in medicine
-Blue: +1 INT instead of +1 WIS You lose your Healing nature and gain one Necromancy cantrip. And you can take a feat that allows you to resurect one skeleton per day and keep it as a minion.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-11-26, 04:13 AM
First impression: looks underpowered. Let's do a quick analysis...

Yellow Moglin
3 ASI
-1 Small
0 Ageless
0 Quarterstaff (is there any class that doesn't get this?)
1 Healing nature
SUBTOTAL: 3

Red
*No change*

Blue
-1 No healing nature
0.5 Cantrip
SUBTOTAL -0.5

So the race comes out at 2.5-3 points overall. That's seriously underpowered. Perhaps I'm underrating healing nature, but even if I am, the race is still weak (especially the blue one). It needs stronger features in both the base race and the subraces, and a clearer demarcation between the two.

I take they're supposed to the a primitive, mystical people, like GRRM's Children of the Forest? If so, you could easily give them Fey Ancestry. A skill proficiency wouldn't hurt as well, to bulk them out a bit.

Thecutter0
2015-11-26, 05:54 AM
First impression: looks underpowered. Let's do a quick analysis...

Yellow Moglin
3 ASI
-1 Small
0 Ageless
0 Quarterstaff (is there any class that doesn't get this?)
1 Healing nature
SUBTOTAL: 3

Red
*No change*

Blue
-1 No healing nature
0.5 Cantrip
SUBTOTAL -0.5

So the race comes out at 2.5-3 points overall. That's seriously underpowered. Perhaps I'm underrating healing nature, but even if I am, the race is still weak (especially the blue one). It needs stronger features in both the base race and the subraces, and a clearer demarcation between the two.

I take they're supposed to the a primitive, mystical people, like GRRM's Children of the Forest? If so, you could easily give them Fey Ancestry. A skill proficiency wouldn't hurt as well, to bulk them out a bit.

They're mostly just strange rabbit people that are very primitive due to low inteligence. They actually live peacefully in cities and urban environments and actually tend to gravitate to people for protection.

Red is the most minor of sub races, being based on a certain one that technically is just famed not really all that different, so it's hard not to make it too different but not the same while staying true to the source material.

Blue is based on the least moglin like moglin, Zobrack. He doesn't heal, he makes undead. I was thinking of adding the ability to heal undead with necrotic damage as part of his feat, but I'm still thinking there.

Thecutter0
2015-11-26, 10:45 AM
Adding the lore from the AQW site for them.

Moglins are an intelligent race of creatures that inhibit the world of Lore. These adorable little critters come in an array of different colors and have large distinguished ears, stubby arms and legs, and sport a long, softly curved tail. Moglins hold a significant role in the balance between Order and Chaos. Why do such little cute things always hold such secrets?

Generally, Moglins are carefree and friendly, offering a helping paw to any hero who needs assistance. Some Moglins, however, can be grouchy, have a horrible temper, or are just pure evil. Throughout your travels in Lore, you will encounter many Moglins of all shapes, sizes, colors, and demeanors. Below are some of the most famous—or famously notorious—Moglins in AdventureQuest Worlds.

JNAProductions
2015-11-26, 01:39 PM
Healing Nature is unlimited out of combat healing. That's kinda broken, even if it's on a weaker chassis.

Make it a more powerful heal and once per short rest, or keep the same heal and make it a bonus action (and once per short rest).

Thecutter0
2015-11-26, 02:11 PM
Healing Nature is unlimited out of combat healing. That's kinda broken, even if it's on a weaker chassis.

Make it a more powerful heal and once per short rest, or keep the same heal and make it a bonus action (and once per short rest).

I changed it, though I'm gonna have to play around it for scale. Earlier levels 1d4 is great, but higher levels even 1d12 seems low to me.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-11-26, 02:51 PM
I changed it, though I'm gonna have to play around it for scale. Earlier levels 1d4 is great, but higher levels even 1d12 seems low to me.

The easy answer is: just give them Healing Word as innate spellcasting. Once per short rest, scaling as half ECL (rounded down).

Thecutter0
2015-11-26, 03:41 PM
The easy answer is: just give them Healing Word as innate spellcasting. Once per short rest, scaling as half ECL (rounded down).

Trying using charisma as its scaling for my first test.