PDA

View Full Version : quicken spell on SCAG cantrip?

Spiritchaser
2015-11-25, 04:13 PM
This is mostly hypothetical I don't currently have a paladin but...

Could a MC melee sorcerer quicken a green flame blade... Or booming blade... And functionally make an at will melee attack as a bonus action?

As I read it... Yes.
Fairness? Not radically different from what polearm mastery can do... Of course that takes a feat... But this costs sorcery points.
Fun... Could be?

Thoughts?

PeevedPenguin
2015-11-25, 04:20 PM

Could a MC melee sorcerer quicken a green flame blade... Or booming blade... And functionally make an at will melee attack as a bonus action?

As I read it... Yes.
Fairness? Not radically different from what polearm mastery can do... Of course that takes a feat... But this costs sorcery points.
Fun... Could be?

Thoughts?

After going over the written rules of the cantrips and for quicken spell it does seem that it is legal, at least in terms of RAW. I myself am thinking about making a fighter/sorcerer that relies on this.

Another question which could be raised is whether or not one could use twinned spell in conjunction with GFB/BB in order to attack everything next to you. While it would certainly be very cool, it raises the question of exactly how many attacks you could do for the spell. If you had a sorcerer/fighter action surge while surrounded and cast 2 twinned GFB to hit everything around him, he would be making 18 attacks. A little crazy if you ask me

manny2510
2015-11-25, 04:20 PM
Yup, surely the best investment of sorcery points out there. /s

Gignere
2015-11-25, 04:23 PM

As I read it... Yes.
Fun... Could be?

Thoughts?

It works, but like you said quite costly to quicken a cantrip. Much rather quicken bless or quicken scorching ray follow with your normal melee attacks + smiting for an awesome nova.

Zman
2015-11-25, 04:41 PM
Yes, it is legal.

Now, you absolutely cannot Twin Greenflame Blade as it does not have a single target, but you can Twin Booming Blade. So, with an action surge you could go Twinned Booming Blade, Action Surge Twinned Booming Blade, Quicken Booming Blade. This is a total of five attacks, costs 4 spell points and requires an action surge. There will have to be at least 2 seperate targets as a Twinned spell cannot target the same target twice. This requires Fighter2/Sorcerer4 to pull off.

I have a character that will make use of this concept, though he currently isn't a high enough level.

coredump
2015-11-25, 04:45 PM
Quicken will work, but the MC hit is a pretty big one in this case.

You can't twin GFB since it has a second target.

I think it is debateable if you can twin BB, but my guess is it was intended to be allowable.

Zman
2015-11-25, 04:53 PM
Quicken will work, but the MC hit is a pretty big one in this case.

You can't twin GFB since it has a second target.

I think it is debateable if you can twin BB, but my guess is it was intended to be allowable.

I really would like to know why you believe it is debatable if you can Twin BB??

Spiritchaser
2015-11-25, 05:03 PM
I was thinking that a Dragon sorc 8 paladin 12 could have a rapier ( 4.5) dueling style (2) DEX bonus (5) elemental weapon ( 2 x 2.5 +5 for a Dragon sorc with a mid level slot) improved divine smite(4.5) and green flame blade fire damage to primary target (3x3.5 +5 for dragon sorcerer)

41.5 damage average (before accuracy concerns) on a bonus attack for 2 sorcery points and no spell slots doesn't seem bad.

If you happen to have elemental adept (which you probably won't) and happen to be an oathbreaker (which you probably aren't) and if you happened to use a 7th level slot for your elemental weapon (which you probably shouldn't) then it would be 53 (Edit oops 50) points

More if you used a greatsword.

Maybe more again with a greatsword, great weapon mastery etc...

Corran
2015-11-25, 05:05 PM
Yes, it is legal.

Now, you absolutely cannot Twin Greenflame Blade as it does not have a single target, but you can Twin Booming Blade. So, with an action surge you could go Twinned Booming Blade, Action Surge Twinned Booming Blade, Quicken Booming Blade. This is a total of five attacks, costs 4 spell points and requires an action surge. There will have to be at least 2 seperate targets as a Twinned spell cannot target the same target twice. This requires Fighter2/Sorcerer4 to pull off. Agreed. Though I remember reading in some thread that targeting a secondary target with GFB is optional, meaning that it is a secondary effect that the caster can choose to ignore for some particular castings of this cantrip should he choose to. And hence he should be able to twin it. Not sure if it is exactly RAW however, probably it isn't.

I have a character that will make use of this concept, though he currently isn't a high enough level. Out of curiosity, will you use the mobile feat in this build?

Zman
2015-11-25, 05:40 PM
Agreed. Though I remember reading in some thread that targeting a secondary target with GFB is optional, meaning that it is a secondary effect that the caster can choose to ignore for some particular castings of this cantrip should he choose to. And hence he should be able to twin it. Not sure if it is exactly RAW however, probably it isn't.

Out of curiosity, will you use the mobile feat in this build?

But the spell is capable of targetting more than one, that is the same reasoning you can't Twin say Eldritch Blast, the spell is capable of targeting more than one creature, etc.

I would love it if I had the room for it, but the character will be comfortable mixing it up in Melee, standard defenses will be a quickened Blurr and Shield for 21-23AC(Disadvantage). I need all the ASI I can manage, haha. I'm also picking up Spell Sniper Eldritch Blast, sure not as good as Warlock 2, but that is IMO kind of a cheesey dip and a little bit too good, plus I don't want to RP a patron.

Malifice
2015-11-25, 08:35 PM
Yes, it is legal.

Now, you absolutely cannot Twin Greenflame Blade as it does not have a single target, but you can Twin Booming Blade. So, with an action surge you could go Twinned Booming Blade, Action Surge Twinned Booming Blade, Quicken Booming Blade. This is a total of five attacks, costs 4 spell points and requires an action surge. There will have to be at least 2 seperate targets as a Twinned spell cannot target the same target twice. This requires Fighter2/Sorcerer4 to pull off.

I have a character that will make use of this concept, though he currently isn't a high enough level.

Leaves you very light on for the rest of the AD though.