PDA

View Full Version : Your greatest opponent....

Ranis
2007-06-05, 09:12 AM
I'm making a room in a dungeon filled with Mirrors of Opposition, for the PC's to fight their greatest inner demons, basically, their characters, but with exact opposite alignments. I want this fight to be extremely inwardly reflective, and impossible to do unless each character figures something about themselves out to make the illusion caused by the Mirror to go away.

I am quite stumped. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Here's the PC roster, if it helps. I want to tailor homebrew monsters for each PC to fight individually.

Yuri-CG Frontline cleric wannabe paladin. Uses some of the more...unscrupulous spells that a cleric has access to to kill his opponents.

Micheal-CG Greatspear o'matic fighter. NEVER talks.

Garret-CG Warmage. VERY militaristic approach to everything. Has advanced mathematical knowledge for the time.

Rob-LG Paladin/Bard/Fortune's Friend. Plays the bagpipes. Is always upbeat about things.

Kris-CN Rogue. Likes to mess with things and get in places he doesn't belong.

Reubyn-LG Druid. Likes to grow things in places where things shouldn't be able to grow. Has a keen respect for life in all forms.

Uruviel-TN Sorcerer. General flavor sorcerer, hasn't shown much personality.

Gar-CN Barbarian. Likes to smash stuff. Low INT score.

ANY kind of input or help would be appreciated.

Tyger
2007-06-05, 09:23 AM
The first one that comes to mind is Yuri... and that'd be a blackguard. He's already using some of the more "unscrupulous" spells... and he wants to be a paladin?? Dude is already on the path of the blackguard, rationalizing his actions as "But I'm doing good!" which as we all know is the route straight to hell.

He's easy. Let him see just what happens when you use those sorts of tactics in the name of Light.

Garrett could face a Wildmage version of himself. Chaos unchained. No discipline, but phenomenal power.

Rob, think Dirgesinger from Heroes of Horror. Great morose counterpart.

Your Druid... well, pretty much anything undead. Why not a necropolitan version of himself, or a Dread Necromancer, revelling in undeath and showing no resepct for life at all.

The rest, well, without reasonably defined personalities, or at least goals, its hard to match them up with anything.

Fixer
2007-06-05, 09:25 AM
I'm making a room in a dungeon filled with Mirrors of Opposition, for the PC's to fight their greatest inner demons, basically, their characters, but with exact opposite alignments. I want this fight to be extremely inwardly reflective, and impossible to do unless each character figures something about themselves out to make the illusion caused by the Mirror to go away.

Here's the PC roster, if it helps. I want to tailor homebrew monsters for each PC to fight individually.

Yuri-CG Frontline cleric wannabe paladin. Uses some of the more...unscrupulous spells that a cleric has access to to kill his opponents.

Garret-CG Warmage. VERY militaristic approach to everything. Has advanced mathematical knowledge for the time.

Rob-LG Paladin/Bard/Fortune's Friend. Plays the bagpipes. Is always upbeat about things.

Reubyn-CG Druid. Likes to grow things in places where things shouldn't be able to grow. Has a keen respect for life in all forms.

{table]Yuri|Honorable Monk-type character. Fights with honor and the saves should be good versus the spells. Have him preach to Yuri about how dishonorable he is and how the world acts justly in that he was never be a paladin and should never have worn cleric's vestments in the first place.
Micheal|Talkative Rogue or Swashbuckler. Complete Scoundrel and Complete Adventurer have some great Bluff-based feats to build a rouge around. Make some great comments about the character and jibe him continuously.
Garret|Ninja. Hit and run. Don't let him rest and keep him moving. Hide in plain sight. Won't say anything.
Rob|A Warlock as evil as they come. Keep up in the air and belittle his very religion. Make it a point of targetting the bagpipes.
Kris|A Cleric. Focus on the will-save. Quest spell, if possible. Preach to him about the sins of his choices.
Reubyn|Wait, how can you have a CG Druid? Ok, that aside, a Defiler from Complete Divine. Stereotypical, but the character seems the stereotypical.
Uruviel|What kinds of spells? For some reason I think a Scout would work well here. Keep on the move and hit for skirmish.
Gar|A wizard. Demean him with intelligence. Mirror images, illusions, conjurations, etc.[/table]

Oeryn
2007-06-05, 09:30 AM
Something you may want to think about, as well, is setting. Instead of just having the "opposite" appear where the characters are, have each of them sucked away (even if it's only in their mind) to a strange place. Have that place be something completely opposite of the way the character sees the world, and let them battle there.

For example, let the orderly, math-based guy have to fight some sort of teleporter, or shape-shifter, inside an M C Escher painting. Or have the druid fight in a decaying garden in a crumbling castle, in the middle of a vast wasteland. You can use the setting to throw them off, as well as the opponent.

Ranis
2007-06-05, 09:31 AM
The first one that comes to mind is Yuri... and that'd be a blackguard. He's already using some of the more "unscrupulous" spells... and he wants to be a paladin?? Dude is already on the path of the blackguard, rationalizing his actions as "But I'm doing good!" which as we all know is the route straight to hell.

He's easy. Let him see just what happens when you use those sorts of tactics in the name of Light.

Garrett could face a Wildmage version of himself. Chaos unchained. No discipline, but phenomenal power.

Your Druid... well, pretty much anything undead. Why not a necropolitan version of himself, or a Dread Necromancer, revelling in undeath and showing no resepct for life at all.

The rest, well, without reasonably defined personalities, or at least goals, its hard to match them up with anything.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Excellent. I want the characters to face the darker side of their personalities. Really stand up for what they beleive in, or fall to their darker side. Any other suggestions will still be a fantastic help, guys.

lotofsnow
2007-06-05, 09:34 AM

Just to save you some time looking, Dirgesinger is a PrC from Libris Mortis, not Heroes of Horror.

Tyger
2007-06-05, 09:39 AM
Just to save you some time looking, Dirgesinger is a PrC from Libris Mortis, not Heroes of Horror.

Whoops, good call Lotofsnow. My bad. Didn't have my books here. Thanks!

Green Bean
2007-06-05, 09:53 AM

Reubyn-LG Druid. Likes to grow things in places where things shouldn't be able to grow. Has a keen respect for life in all forms.

Instead of going the direction of making the doubles opposite of the players, I'd make them the same, then push them a little further.

Yuri would face a cleric who uses 'dangerous spells', but actively takes pleasure in the suffering it causes.

Michael would face a silent warrior; one who ignores everything, including pleas for merccy, surrenders, etc. For an added bonus, make his eventual death in total silence.

Garret would face a warmage, but one who has taken logic too far. Cold and methodical, Garret's nemesis would carry out his plans with cold precision, regarding everyone but himself as expendable.

Rob would face a cheery, upbeat, yet sociopathic foe, a la 'The Joker'

Kris would face a sneaky rogue who likes getting in places where he doesn't belong. Of course, he's a stone cold killer, and his sneaking just helps that.

I'm not so sure about Reubyn. I need more information about his flaws.

Uruviel would face a powerful sorceror, one who has totally lost his/her mind because the magical energy it wields.

Gar would face a crazed barbarian (and I mean crazed, animalistic, brutal barbarian; mouth foam, attacking the walls, clawing at a foe's eyes, the works).

Basically, the idea is that the players get the impression that "this could be you". There's a great deal of RP potential in that.

Ali
2007-06-05, 12:34 PM
I think Michael should face a fighter. But the fighter should prepare a trap for him, and when Michael becomes trapped in it, the fighter says that he only fights people who can answer a certain riddle first, because he thinks intellect is what makes an opponent worthy. That should make Michael talk, I reckon...

Gar should be put in a maze with slow moving constructs that he can't hurt. Then he would have to realize that in this situation, 'smashing' doesn't work, and he will have to run.

Ranis
2007-06-05, 01:07 PM
I think Michael should face a fighter. But the fighter should prepare a trap for him, and when Michael becomes trapped in it, the fighter says that he only fights people who can answer a certain riddle first, because he thinks intellect is what makes an opponent worthy. That should make Michael talk, I reckon...

I agree about the fighter, but I was thinking more along the lines of a spiked chainmonkey, who will disarm him. Making him worthless, because I know for a fact that he has no other weapons. Then, the illusion will tackle him and try to kill him slowly, taunting him the whole time, mocking his silence. Until he talks. and refutes it.

Thoughts?

EvilElitest
2007-06-05, 02:45 PM
Ok the best i've seen so far are

Himself as a blackguard

The Mercyless fighter

The chaos mage

A character based of of Kimblie from Full Metal Alchemist, an upbeat Nyholitic phycopathic killer

The Joker

I think their is a deflier class on these boards, sort of an anti nature druid

The overly lawful dude

The animalistic dude

I did this once, but it was against a powergaming wizard, i simple copied his character sheet and made him fight himself that little bastard

From,
EE

Bassetking
2007-06-05, 02:45 PM
Yuri: One Word. Wrack. More Words: Take some domains from the Spell Compendium, and show him the absolute depths of what a cleric can do, when devoted to the right domains. Try "Pestilence" and "Suffering", Though, Both "Wrath" and "Retribution" are fun to use.

Michael: Warblade or Swordsage. Use the new rulings on Intimidate and Challenge from ToB, and combine things like Avalanche of Blades and Raging Mongoose to make him regret making the number of attacks he usually does. His opponent is a fast-talking Taunt Machine. Loves the sound of his own voice nearly as much as he loves the sounds of his foes suffering.

Garrett: Warmage, you say? We can rebuild him. We can make him faster, stronger, more adept at both combat and the manipulation of the primal forces of the Aether.... But why do that, when a Rogue, with Maxed UMD and a wand of Maximized Magic Missile can be ever so much more fun! As has been said before, this one is an attrition-fight. Keep Garret unbalanced and off his A-game. Use the environment to provide out rogue a lot of hiding areas, cover, and ambush locations.

Rob: This one, try a different tactic. Rob's character is obviously that of party support and comic relief. So... Abuse that. Make Rob's foe a comically, insultingly over-represented caricature of himself. A bumbling, oafish buffoon. Your goal here is not to physically trump Rob, but to display to him his "Worthlessness", and overall meaninglessness contribution to the party. Play on the character's fears that he is, in fact, weaker, and of less worth than the rest of the party. This one is a mind-****, rather than a fight, so don't hesitate to give your puppet some serious Mind-affecting stuff. Suggestion and Domination.

Kris: Overwhelming Physical Might scares the BEJEEZUS out of Rogues. A War-cleric or Supercharger can really put the fear of melee into a rogue.

Reubyn: I've seen the Blighter suggested... And I'd say "Nah, too easy."

Go Green, and go green BIG. Show him the true force and fury of nature, with something like, say a Verdant Keeper, with Greentouched Summoning.

Uruveil: Generic Sorcerer, eh? Hit him with a Hulking Hurler, and let him see the manifestation of true, unceasing strength, and how it utterly trumps his arcane might.

Gar: Toss Smashy McThumperson a cookie. Fill the room with dozens upon dozens of unmentionably weak versions of himself. Play upon and against his "I smash stuff good!" thoughts, with pale imitations of his own might.

brian c
2007-06-05, 03:09 PM
Gar would face a crazed barbarian (and I mean crazed, animalistic, brutal barbarian; mouth foam, attacking the walls, clawing at a foe's eyes, the works).

If you go this route, check out the Feral template in Savage Species, although like a lot of things in that book you should take it with a grain of salt- it has a +1 LA but most people think that's not enough, so maybe nerf it a little for +1 or leave it alone for a greater challenge

Yechezkiel
2007-06-05, 03:13 PM

Is the alignment a typo, or is this a House Rule?

Malek
2007-06-05, 03:36 PM
Garrett: Warmage, you say? We can rebuild him. We can make him faster, stronger, more adept at both combat and the manipulation of the primal forces of the Aether.... But why do that, when a Rogue, with Maxed UMD and a wand of Maximized Magic Missile can be ever so much more fun! As has been said before, this one is an attrition-fight. Keep Garret unbalanced and off his A-game. Use the environment to provide out rogue a lot of hiding areas, cover, and ambush locations.

Hmmm... wouldn't Artificer from Eberron serve the purpose better than Rouge? :smallwink:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-05, 03:54 PM
The barbarian's opposite should be something like the Incredible Hulk, something that gets stronger the harder you hit it.

For the Spear user send in a Greatsword wielder. The German and Swiss two-handed swords were supposedly developed against pike formations. A longsword and buckler user could work as well. He should use lots of taunts in opposition to the silent guy.

For the Druid I would suggest an Ooze that eats everything in its path. It's a weird form of life and in opposition to his ethics.

For the Cleric, make an Abjurer and give him some of the mean anti-buff spells from Complete Arcane. Otherwise an Ur Priest (Complete Divine) is always fun. Or if you have the Fiend Folio a Fiend of Blasphemy is a awesome opposite for a cleric.

A Nishru can make a nice opposition for a rogue who likes to steal stuff but its a hard monster to find stats for. Perhaps an advanced or awakened Rust monster? Or some kind of guardian golem.

JackMage666
2007-06-05, 04:24 PM
Cleric - Blackguard/Ur-Priest
Fighter - Weapon Sunderer/Disarmer. A Monk should work pretty well.
Warmage - Illusionist/Abjurer. Negate his spells. Illusionist because it's opposes logical thought. Wid Mage works too... Perhaps an Illusionist/Wild Mage?
Paladin/Bard - Silence spells. An Evil whisper gnome would be an interesting challenge. Comic relief gone wrong.
Rogue - Contruct of himself, made of alchemically treated gold. Can't sneak attack him, and he gets beaten by his desire.
Druid - I'd go with a Construct Blighter. Metal man crushing nature. Druids hate that.
Sorcerer - I'd say Wizard. Debate Cha and Int, and cast Feeblemind.
Barbarian - A Swashbuckler. Uses tricky fighting and intelligence against his high Str. Duelist works well, too.

Lolzords
2007-06-05, 04:54 PM
Rob-LG Bard

Reubyn-LG Druid.

Is that even possible?

Yechezkiel
2007-06-05, 05:00 PM
Is that even possible?

Well, the Paladin could be a former Bard, but the Druid... can't be anything but some form of Neutral. That's what I was asking above, could just be a House Rule thing.

And just the other day someone was telling me something about certain Dragonblooded Druids can be non-neutral, depending on their draconic descent? Who knows...

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-05, 07:03 PM
I agree with everyone who believes in making this person's opponant a blackguard. I would make them use spells to an extreme, as kind of an exaderation of what the cleric does and his liberal use of killer spells.

A devious, diabolical warrior who likes to taunt and attempt to demoralize his opponant. Always has a wicked smile and a menacing glare in his eyes.

A mage that is perhaps insanely devoted to one purpous, but does things erratically(I don't know how to pull off a LE alignment and still be his opposite). But let him just let his magic fly, no knowledge or thought, just magic.

Paladin of Slaughter/Bard/Dirgesinger. Constantly in a state of sorrow and angst, let him talk about hos miserable life is and how he's going to make sure everyone's as miserable as he is.

A very by-the-book regulations driven rogue, looks down on those who deviate from the law in anyway.

Perhaps a red dragon shaman with a taste for destruction and chaos. He likes to see things burn, especially natural things.

This is a tough one. I don't know an opposite for TN, except maybe one of the extreme alignment. Otherwise, no idea.

Very intelligent knight, likes to smash Gar.

Setra
2007-06-05, 08:33 PM
Instead of going the direction of making the doubles opposite of the players, I'd make them the same, then push them a little further.

Yuri would face a cleric who uses 'dangerous spells', but actively takes pleasure in the suffering it causes.

Michael would face a silent warrior; one who ignores everything, including pleas for merccy, surrenders, etc. For an added bonus, make his eventual death in total silence.

Garret would face a warmage, but one who has taken logic too far. Cold and methodical, Garret's nemesis would carry out his plans with cold precision, regarding everyone but himself as expendable.

Rob would face a cheery, upbeat, yet sociopathic foe, a la 'The Joker'

Kris would face a sneaky rogue who likes getting in places where he doesn't belong. Of course, he's a stone cold killer, and his sneaking just helps that.

I'm not so sure about Reubyn. I need more information about his flaws.

Uruviel would face a powerful sorceror, one who has totally lost his/her mind because the magical energy it wields.

Basically, the idea is that the players get the impression that "this could be you". There's a great deal of RP potential in that.
I'd go with these.

They seem pretty good.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-06-05, 08:42 PM

Feral Frenzied Berzerker. Done and done.

EagleWiz
2007-06-05, 08:47 PM

One who respects ALL life and grows carnivorious plants and flesh eating ooze and such. Wants to kill the PC in order to stop his "Insane Killing Spree as he has killed many during his adventurers and is sure to kill more"

Also because he is a LG druid.

Setra
2007-06-05, 08:53 PM
One who respects ALL life and grows carnivorious plants and flesh eating ooze and such. Wants to kill the PC in order to stop his "Insane Killing Spree as he has killed many during his adventurers and is sure to kill more"

Also because he is a LG druid.
Um.. if he respected ALL life...

Wouldn't he also respect the life of the PC?

EagleWiz
2007-06-05, 09:08 PM
Yes but by killing the PC he would save more lives then would be lost (1)

Typical cold, calculating etc.. LN

The_Snark
2007-06-05, 09:26 PM
Yes but by killing the PC he would save more lives then would be lost (1)

Typical cold, calculating etc.. LN

That guy would have to be pretty crazy. In its lifetime, any carnivorous animal is going to eat far more creatures than it will create through reproduction. Same for herbivores, really; plants are alive, and herbivores have to eat more than carnivores do, as a rule.

So really, he'd need an ulterior motive to want to kill the PC in particular.

Since these are creatures out of a mirror, I'd go with a rather crazed, cancerous druid, constantly growing things, creating creatures (including odd abberations and oozes) without any regard for consequences.

I'd agree with whoever said that the mirror versions didn't necessarily have to be complete opposites; they should be eerily similar, with flaws twisted and magnified until the character is completely evil. Far scarier than the generic alignment-switched matches, such as a blackguard for a paladin and a blighter for a druid.

Ranis
2007-06-06, 02:32 PM
What book is the Wild Mage PrC in?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-06, 02:54 PM
What book is the Wild Mage PrC in?

Complete Arcane, though it may also be in a 3.0 Forgotten Realms book.

Starbuck_II
2007-06-06, 03:21 PM

Dark Cleric Blackguard wannabe (but not).

Up close warrior that talks alot.

Troll with armor with fire and acid resistance (so can't be kill with damage easily).

Morose Necromancer.

LE Knight: doesn't like people going where don't belong.

A NE Druid: "Now let me show you what you lost by stop being Neutral"
Since Druids lose all class abilities by turning non-nuetral; this one is cakewalk.

Beguiler maybe.

Warblade maybe.

Or just a decent int Warrior.

The Mormegil
2007-06-07, 12:39 PM
One word: HOMEBREW.

I find that the perfect way to go, especially in my (absolutely overpowered) campaigns.
Why bother trying to make a good challenge out of books when you have the party's sheets and can create something new?

Example: I had quite a headache trying to find out a challange for a full wizard. Then I decided that his (own) challenge was a sorceror (low Int) that could counterspell a spell per turn AND cast a spell, making him need to cast two spells per round to get out of it...

Only feedback? I sometimes kill...

So:
1) Make the challenge be inside their minds. COOL.

2) Yuri -- Yes, absolutely, Blackguard is ok. But make it be surrounded by minions, that aren't even evil, just forced to do that. Make BBEG use Spell Turning (maybe a Greater, homebrewed one; or better: everytime he casts, he hits a minion...) and so he could either go "combat mode" and try to kill a full melee type with lots of minions that flank-and Sneak Attack- or cast area spells that kill minions as well. See what he comes out with. Oh and be sure he KNOWS the minions are frightened and don't want to fight.
Last step to go Paladin...

3)Micheal -- This is difficult, but maybe a foe that talks continously about what he'll do to his family/friends/anything he loves, even his spear, and challange him to react. He has an AC higher than he could ever hit and immunity to criticals. And if it's not too much, even a decent DR. All this vanish if he shouts his anger and fear in his face.

4)Make a poet (maths). He is a bard/cleric of Art (concept) that uses Energy Immunity, Death Interdiction and Shield to be immune to almost everything. He starts talking about how much Art is great and that kind of stuff. He uses absurde tecnics and takes every blast personally. He grows mad and evil when the PC start talking or thinking (own mind projecton, remember?) about logic. Hates soldiers and uses some common bad jokes about them.
Way to kill? Best him with a joke.

5)Rob -- Difficult to DM this, but it should be a foe that sings silly and macabre themes, like some tale with a bad end.
-Once upon a time there was a princess trapped inside a tower. A prince came to save her but the Orc guarding the tower killed him and showed his head to the princess. Then he ate her and the prince's corpse. They weren't good enough and he vomited them. And their rests lived happily ever after... maybe. Heee-heee-heee!-
To beat him: try to fascinate him by bardic music, singing the true story or something like that.

6)Kris -- easy enough: he is clearly against the personification of Law and Guardians. Some golem should do. Or better, use an Inhevitable that reminds him about all the rules he went against and the right punishment for all of them. Use Dante's *counterstep* (is it right? I'm quite sure it isn't-but...) rule. Explain him that he did it for goodness or so.

7)Reubyn -- Place him in a castle that was destroyed by nature, with giant elementals killing mens and elves all around and his master/father/head of his order/thing turned into a wooden creature (MMIII) that explains him how this is right in the name of nature. If he can argue promptly and well, the battle begins. If not, wait untill he do something, but say a man dies every few seconds, burned to crisps, drowned, crushed and smashed in terrible and cruel ways. If he does't do anything for too long, he'll remain there staring at their deaths untill the party enter his mind, best his foe and rescue him (this is the bad ending for all of them, some way). If he reacts, make him fight a NE (CE if it's a houserule) wooden druid that looks exactly like his master or father and beg for pardon and grace when wounded, just to cure and stab him in the back...

8)Uruviel -- Mage Killer feat tree, but with some despeller and teleporter ability (houserule his robe bypass CL modifiers or so). He HATES arane magic, with all heart. Full Bab foe with lots of mobility and True Seeing to have him K.O. in a few rounds. Then he sits on him and starts a digression on how much pain and suffering ARCANE magic can cause. Tell him about the first fireball he casted and about all the pain he caused with it. Burn him alive to share the pain. Hmmm... this is a bit too powerful and I don't know how to beat it. Essencialy, he's right. Maybe fanatic, but right. Nothing more on Uruviel?

9)Gar -- Since he has a low INT score, he has a simple mind. So simple he came out only with a bigger, badder himself. Add Feral, make him Big. Only way to kill him?
-Why Great Gar strikes Gar?
-'Cause Gar loves to strike and little Gar is little.
-Gar don't want to be hurt. Gar likes to strike but Gar not like to be strike. Gar don't want Gar to strike Gar. If Great Gar don't strike Gar, Gar give him his puppy!
First step in Diplomacy.
Ok, this was pathetic, but barbarian IS pathetic, for what I know...

Anyway, this is what I'd do. Tell us how it's gone!