PDA

View Full Version : Need help building a campaign

Colt
2007-06-05, 09:39 AM
I'm going to be DM'ing my first game sometime here soon, and I'm having trouble working out some kinks in my campaign. The whole game will be loosely based on the Scarlet Monastery instance from World of Warcraft, for those of you that don't play, here's a general overview The Monastery (http://www.wowwiki.com/The_Scarlet_Monastery)

I'll probable have them run both Library and Graveyard Wings in order to get the scarlet key which opens the Armory and the Cathedral. I was wondering if someone could help me work out stats for the monks, mages and warriors, that would be really nice... this will be a level 3 game, so i'm guessing most guys will be fairly weak, thus requiring the enemies to be around level 3... I'm really new to this, so any advise would be very welcome. I'm also having trouble with statting out some of the bosses, especially Herod and Whitemane...

SpikeFightwicky
2007-06-05, 10:59 AM
I'm going to be DM'ing my first game sometime here soon, and I'm having trouble working out some kinks in my campaign. The whole game will be loosely based on the Scarlet Monastery instance from World of Warcraft, for those of you that don't play, here's a general overview The Monastery (http://www.wowwiki.com/The_Scarlet_Monastery)

I'll probable have them run both Library and Graveyard Wings in order to get the scarlet key which opens the Armory and the Cathedral. I was wondering if someone could help me work out stats for the monks, mages and warriors, that would be really nice... this will be a level 3 game, so i'm guessing most guys will be fairly weak, thus requiring the enemies to be around level 3... I'm really new to this, so any advise would be very welcome. I'm also having trouble with statting out some of the bosses, especially Herod and Whitemane...

Ok, I'm up to the challenge. I'll do a basic write-up of the 'minions' and see if it's what you're looking for. Be posting again soon. It'll be a little limited (level 3 max), but should work out.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-06-05, 12:48 PM
It's not so bad with the bosses. Just pretend you were making a character of that level (thought Herod and Whitemane should likely be a little higher level, maybe 4). For example, from the library wing (I think, could be armory), the houndmaster is one of the first mid-bosses. He has a couple of hounds with him, so this lends itself to a druid or ranger (animal companion type). Since the ranger won't have a companion at level 3, we'll go the druid route (and he uses martial weapons, so we'll add in a couple of NPC classes to get him up to speed).

So we end up with something like this, at a CR 3, so it 'should' be a good challenge:

Houndmaster Loksey
Medium Humanoid (Human), level 2 warrior, level 2 druid

Hit Dice: 2d8+6 + 2d8+6, (30 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 leather, +2 dex, +2 heavy wooden shield), Touch 12, Flat-Footed 15
Armor Class (when battle ready): 21 (+3 leather, +2 dex, +2 heavy wooden shield, +2 natural, +2 deflection), Touch 14, Flat-Footed 19
BAB/Grapple: +3/+6
Attack: Club +7 melee (1d6+3) or longbow +6 ranged (1d8)
Full Attack (with shillelagh): Club +8 melee (2d6+4) or longbow +6 ranged (1d8)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Druid Spells
Special Qualties: Druid spells, animal companion, nature sense, wild empathy, woodland stride
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +2, Will +5
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Handle Animal +4, Intimidate +4
Feats: Improved Toughness (b), weapon focus club,
Environment: Scarlet Monastery - Armory
Organization: Hunting pack (Self plus 1d3 riding dogs/hyenas (combat trained))
Challenge Rating: 3
Posessions: Club, heavy wooden shield, +1 leather armor, 2 potions of shield of faith +2, 2 potions of barksin +2, 2 potions of cure moderate wounds, masterwork longbow
Alignment: C/E (thinks he's C/G)
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +0

COMBAT:

Druid spells: Caster level 2nd, spell DC = 11 + spell level
Spells per day w/ bonus from wisdom: 4/3
Typical prepared spell list:
0th - Resistance x2, Cure Minor wounds x2
1st - Shillelagh, Magic Fang, Cure light wounds

Animal companion - Riding Dog named Scruffy
Medium Animal

Hit Dice: 2d8+4, (13 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
BAB/Grapple: +1/+3
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6+3 plus trip)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d6+3 plus trip)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualties: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Jump +8, Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +3, Survival +1
Feats: Alertness, Track(B)
Challenge Rating: - (animal companion)

Notes: Wisdom is only 12 because he only has the 2 levels in druid, so a higher wisdom wasn't really necessary. If he were higher level, this would likely change. Unless he's surprised, he'll likely have his buffs up and running, and Scruffy will have magic fang. If this is too easy, adding another level of druid would help both the Houndmaster and Scruffy.

Is this sort of what you're looking for?

Colt
2007-06-05, 03:05 PM
That's Wonderful! Thanks a lot. I guess this would almost be better off in the Homebrew section, but i've always thought it would be cool to have a WoW D20... Scarlet Monastery is a great start. Hopefully I'll be able to start working on some of the trash mobs (unnamed enemies) some time soon.

The only thing that's hard about Herod is that he is a fighter, but he has some spells too... That and I can't decide who the final boss should be, the Whitemane/Mograin fight or the Herod fight...

Swooper
2007-06-05, 04:43 PM
You realize there already IS a Warcraft D20 system out there? Other than that, it can't be too hard to design the minions, using wizards, monks, paladins, clerics and warriors of the appropriate levels (about 1-3).

Edit: Also, that's not a campaign, that's a dungeon :smallwink:

Umarth
2007-06-05, 10:53 PM
You realize there already IS a Warcraft D20 system out there? Other than that, it can't be too hard to design the minions, using wizards, monks, paladins, clerics and warriors of the appropriate levels (about 1-3).

Edit: Also, that's not a campaign, that's a dungeon :smallwink:

Except they have to run it 6 times to get the right drop.

Now it's a campaign.