PDA

View Full Version : Abjurant Champion build Help

Nosta
2015-11-25, 11:06 PM
I have always loved the gish build and for a while I've been wondering what a really powerful gish build would look like

stats 18 18 18 16 16 14
level 20
this needs to be a powerful anti hero that will oppose my players

all 3.5 and dragon magazine allowed

can some one throw me some ideas

I want her to mainly be a melee fighter who can boost her self and her damage out put through magical means

Xervous
2015-11-25, 11:11 PM
Wizards have a much easier time managing 9ths and 16 BAB owing to the spell level advantage they have on sorcerers.

17th effective wizard level gets you 9ths to play with and anything above 16 BAB is only a minor smidgen of attack bonus, so it's the goal to aim for if you want the best of both worlds. In truth, much of the damage potential will be sourced from the casting side, gish class levels or non casting +1 BAB classes can be used to add flavor but they won't do too much beyond that in general. A stack of buffs will get your gish hitting like a truck, the rest of things can be devoted to keeping him from going splat.

If you don't mind missing out on 4 attacks with your full attack and are happy with 3, there are a few caster (1/2 BAB) PrCs that can seriously boost the character's survivability. Damage is easy to push out through the roof, but making something your players won't just smear into paste with a stray glance could be in your interest if you want to get some actual use time out of this character.

Jade Phoenix Mage (if you ignore the hardbaked fluff)
Wizard 5 / Warblade 1 / Jade phoenix mage 2 / Abjurant Champion 5 / Jade Phoenix mage +7

17 wizard casting
17 BAB

Other generic Wizard Gish stub
Wizard 4 / Lion Totem Barbarian 1 / Fighter 1 / Spellsword 1 / Abjurant Champion 5 / ++(6 bab over 8 levels missing only 1 caster level)
++ 4 ruamspellingpls battlemage / +2 spellsword / 2 any fullcaster
++ 8 eldritch knight

17 wizard casting
16+ BAB

Variant
Wizard 6 / Fighter 1 / Spellsword 1 / Abj Champ 5 / ++ (6 BAB over 7 levels, can miss 2 caster levels.)

17 Wizard casting
16+ BAB

probably will fall asleep before I get to other stuff >_>

sleepyphoenixx
2015-11-26, 02:16 AM
Wizard 6/Swiftblade 9/Abjurant Champion 5 is one of the more often recommended gish builds, and for good reason.
17 BAB, 9th level spells, big defensive abilities and an action economy advantage all from a single, undispellable spell that you get to quicken for free (in addition to a whole lot of other stuff. You get some serious value out of Haste with those class features). Throw Abjurant Champion on top of that and you have a pretty well rounded package with good synergy among its different elements.

You really can't do much better, which is why the build is so popular and probably the standard which other gish builds should be judged against.