PDA

View Full Version : FR: Quest for the Forgotten Key IC (Oak)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

knewsom
2007-06-05, 10:38 AM
It was spring in Cormyr, and the wild grass that grew in green clumps and waves at the side of the Old Traveler's Road blew in the gentle morning breeze, re-grown now from a long cold winter - soft fluffy white clouds dotted a rich blue sky, and the sun warmed your skin, as you walked in and out of its patches dotting the well worn ruts of the road on the way to Ulryn's cottage. Perhaps you read the sign posted outside a few of the local taverns, or perhaps you simply heard the rumor that Ulryn was looking for a group of stouthearted adventurers to reclaim a lost item of some sentimental value, either way, you decided that the 500 gold reward sounded more than worth the trouble and headed to the north side of town, outside the city walls as directed. The sun lazily rose in the sky, and you arrived at the cottage at about 10:00 in the morning, as per the request on the advertisement. Upon sighting the cottage, you noticed that there was already a bit of a crowd gathering outside Ulryn's humble home. Assuming that he must know for sure that so many people have gathered outside, you didn't bother knocking on the door. The crowd continued to grow larger and more diverse. Mostly Humans, but certainly a couple Dwarves, Halflings, and Elves could be found amongst the crowd, as well as some other individuals whose origins you couldn't quite place. At about 11:00, people were beginning to get restless, and some of the adventurers and fortune seekers turned and left.

"I didn't come here to waste my whole morning," grumbled one short, balding, but burly looking monk.

"The old fool probably forgot that he posted an ad in the first place," spat a nimble looking half-elf.

"Why should I bother? There are so many others, there's no way I'd get noticed in this crowd," sighed a downtrodden gnome.

As the group thinned, you found yourself beginning to wonder if the trip was really worth it, the warmth of the day increasing as the sun now approached it's zenith.

Toliudar
2007-06-05, 11:33 AM
Eberhart

Trudging stolidly through the spring mud, Eberhart tried to enjoy the sunshine. They'd gotten precious little of that for years, and it was a beautiful thing that Lager had taught him to enjoy its warmth on his face.

Shifting the shortbow on his back, the young dwarf thought back over all the twists of recent years that had brought him here, with this magnificent brother of his, and that maybe he should feel lucky after all.

Nah.

Arriving at the cottage to the existing crowd, and having met other travellers back in town who had suggested - by word or look - that they might be coming here too, Eberhart tried not to get too dispirited. The brothers found a place to wait outside the cottage. He shrugged to Lager.

Well, worst he can say is no. We'll get some work here this summer. You with the outdoors, me with the indoors, and together with a quick knock to the skull.

With a grim smile, he tugged one of his maces free and held it out to Lager in salute.

1337_master
2007-06-05, 02:20 PM
Meh, This work had better be Worth it. Xaal Mumbles to himself

Foobar
2007-06-05, 03:22 PM
Lager

Course. As usual. Got to say usually when it's your turn to pick our job, I don't get to spend this much time outside. Getting a little tired of waiting, though. Want to speed this up a bit?

Lager heads over to the house and knocks firmly on the door. Not waiting for the answer, he walks back over to his twin.

Maybe that'll bring the old coot out of his shell.

PolkaBear
2007-06-05, 09:57 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros
A pacing human (?) with red eyes and silver hair.

I thought I was in trouble with Solun because of that incident with the barber; but apparently not. I guess he finally sees my potential. This is the first time he's trusted me with an assignment all to my own. The 500 gold isn't bad, either. I get to set a thief straight and pad my own pocket. A tithe to Hoar, of course.

Whoever this 'Ulryn' is, he won't be sorry he asked me to help him get back what was taken from him.

Toliudar
2007-06-05, 11:11 PM
Eberhart

Tucking away his mace, Eberhart joined his brother at the door.

For someone complaining about spending time indoors, you're sure eager to get inside. What happened to the whole "The essence of a successful hunt is patience" stuff?

1337_master
2007-06-06, 12:25 AM
After hearing What "Eberhart" said, I scuffle to myself.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-06-06, 12:59 AM
Jericho

Jericho had read the sign on a tavern wall about a man names Ulryn looking for workers, and better yet, offering 500 gold no doubt.
A pretty good salary considering odd jobs and other jobs he'd taken paid considerably less.
So, on this bright day, as he cursed the sun, he made his way towards the large gathering. It was bright, and the large crowd was surely only going to add to the misery of the day. So, as he made his way, he decided to play a depressing little tune on his flute. Set in low keys.
Perform: [roll0]

As the crowd grew restless and complained, he stopped, and scorned them in his heavy accent.
"Ye know lads and lasses. Iff'n it were me who had attracted a large number of people, indeed I'd make'em wait too. Thin out the impatient ones don't ye think? Iffn' ye can' e'en stick around for a mesely hour, I don' think ye'd be good fer the job."

Toliudar
2007-06-06, 07:34 AM
Eberhart

Turning his sun-bronzed face to Jericho, Eberhart turns his attention from his brother at the door.

Yup, and what's the point of saying that? If you're right, you just tellin' everyone to wait longer, smart boy, which means YOU'RE waiting longer too.

Shaking his head, Eberhart trundles around to examine the cottage's windows.

He's not expecting to be able to see in, although that'd be great. He's actually trying to look for any magical wards on the windows. Not touching, just looking. He's going to do anything about that...yet. Since nothing's going on, he'll - what the heck - take twenty on the searches, giving a total search of 27.

knewsom
2007-06-06, 11:58 AM
Lager grasped the large brass knocker, worn from years of exposure, and gave a hearty knock.

...and waited.

.....and waited.

........and waited.

By this point, Jericho's depressing tune had long since ended, almost everyone had left, still cursing under their breaths, and calling Jericho a fool to boot, and just when you were about to turn and leave, you heard.....

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-06-07, 12:21 AM
Jericho

The bard laughed at Eberhart's remark.
"Aye lad, it does mean I surely will. But is a man, who cnna' even wait a short day, worth the trouble of a lifetime?
What I meant was, if ye canna' wait, a short period of time, will ye have the patience, and the mental set, for what lies ahead of ye?"

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-06-07, 12:23 AM
Jericho

The bard laughed at Eberhart's remark.
"Aye lad, it does mean I surely will. But is a man, who cnna' even wait a short day, worth the trouble of a lifetime?
What I meant was, if ye canna' wait, a short period of time, will ye have the patience, and the mental set, for what lies ahead of ye?"
And then, he thought he'd heard something

Toliudar
2007-06-07, 09:53 AM
Eberhart

Turning from his examination of the cottage window, Eberhart turned and squinted at the laughing man.

You know, I know a bunch a dwarves who talk just like you? You spend any time in the north?

PolkaBear
2007-06-07, 04:06 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Annoyed by the delay, Meiphren amused himself by materializing a greenish blade out of thin air. Every time he flicked his wrist, the blade disappeared; and he grunted with frustration.

"Maybe somebody got to this guy already, to prevent him from reclaiming his property. Or maybe--" He stopped and cocked his head, as if straining to listen.

knewsom
2007-06-08, 02:16 AM
Meiphren, Jericho, and Eberhart heard a barely stifled laugh coming from the direction of the gable directly above the porch. What started as a stifled snerk grew louder until you could all hear it, but when your eyes finally found the spot that the now rolling laughter was coming from, there appeared a well aged Elf sitting atop the gable - you could swear there was nothing there at all earlier.

"Ohh, I just couldn't take it anymore. The five of you were so good to wait - patience is such an important virture you know!"

Ulryn snapped his fingers and dissapeared again, leaving the gable empty, and only a moment later the front door of the cottage opened up, his thin form reappaering in the doorway, a hint of a laugh still on his face.

"Although you nearly spoiled my little test, now didn't you Jericho? tisk tisk, you've made me wait far longer than I should have had to wait, but no matter. Come in, come in. It may have been a very warm day, but it'll soon be a chilly evening."

Foobar
2007-06-08, 07:25 AM
Lager

Not entirely certain of what happened, but sure that he was somehow the butt of the joke, Lager stiffens and seems ready to walk off.

500 gp, Lager, 500 gold. And it's not like it's the first time you've been laughed at.

Lager takes a deep breath and then walks into the cottage.

Toliudar
2007-06-08, 10:01 AM
Eberhart

Throughout the elf's tomfoolery, Eberhart deliberately holds his arms at their sides, so as to avoid having them spring to his back to grab his bow. He took no pleasure from a test that would have been passed as easily by a stone. Sometimes, it felt like the young dwarf had spent his whole life waiting. He was ready, now, to act. Worse, he could tell that his brother felt the same way.

Ritually touching the doorjamb on the way into the cottage, Eberhart steps in, expecting the same jumbled mess that he glimpsed from outside.

A few good strikes at the joists there, there, and at the corners, and this bloody shack is falling in on the giggler's ears. See how much he's laughing THEN!

PolkaBear
2007-06-08, 01:34 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

And now he's laughing at us! As if it's hilarious! This sort of treatment won't go unremembered. If I can't find a fitting response to this sort of thing, then perhaps I'm no proper servant of Hoar.

Meiphren shook his head and followed the elf.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-06-10, 12:26 AM
Jericho

Jericho smiled triumphantly to himself. None-the-less he followed the old man into the cottage.

knewsom
2007-06-10, 02:19 PM
The old elf raised an eyebrow suspiciously at the dwarf as he touched the entryway to the cottage, almost as if examining it for weaknesses.

"Take no offense at my laughter dear friends, I was merely pleased with how well my little test worked - after all, everything in this life is a test, or so it would seem. That was just my way of screening out the bad apples. Make yourselves at home in the parlor, I need to fetch something from upstairs."

You sat on musty old couches and trunks in a cluttered sitting area by a hearth that must have raged constantly in the winter months, but that now sat cold and unburning. The room was cluttered beyond belief, with bits of spell components, prescious metals, gems, paintings, sticks, stones, and countless baubles scattered throughout the room on dusty shelves. The room, and even the whole cabin had a very warm and familiar feel about it, and you immediately felt comfortable here. He skittered down the narrow stair hiding something behind his back, and approached the group.

"The reason I have called you here today is to fetch an item of mine which has great personal importance to me."

Ulryn brought the item from behind his back, and you all saw before you a strange looking box with a single drawer. It was made out of wood (oak, you presumed), and had a beautiful golden inlay pattern. The handle was detailed and as ornate as the drawer and the box itself. The box had no lid, and it appeared that the only access to the interior was through the drawer.

"You see, I have no way of knowing what I've put in this drawer, and the key is what's missing. This is no ordinary drawer or box - it has properties beyond imagination - it's name, is the Drawer of Forgetting."

Toliudar
2007-06-10, 03:27 PM
Eberhart

The dwarf settles on the floor of the cottage, placing a hand to the floor as if to steady himself. He grinned at his brother - we're in!

As the box is brought forward, Eberhart gives the others a minute to examine it, then thrusts his head forward, staring intently at it. All previous thoughts of haggling a deal with the elf are forgotten as the dwarf is caught up in conundrum of it.

So, this chest thing is called the Drawer of Forgetting, and you forget whatever you put in it? Do you at least remember where you last put the key?

Searching the box without touching (unless permission to touch is given through the elf's body language) - taking 20 for a total of 27 on the check). Looking for writing, decoration, scratches, marks, and any guesses he could make about the size and shape of key that the drawer would take.

Foobar
2007-06-10, 03:56 PM
Lager

Seeing his brother's grin, he smiles slowly and nods.

He sees it, too. This job is a good fit for us. I do the the big searches, he does the small scales. And it looks like there are enough others to round out our skills. This may have promise. Of course, it's probably just his recipe for that Act Like An Idiot potion. Elves. Well, as long as his gold is good.

Lager watches Eberhart inspecting the furniture, becoming interested in spite of himself.

Why can't you just pick it? Or force it open? Or use magic to open it? You could always get a new lock made for it.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-06-10, 04:01 PM
Jericho

Jericho got as good a look as he could at the item without straining himself.
It was a strange little curiosity, but the answer itself could have been very simple.
"Aye, tis a strange thing indeed. But I have to ask....Did ye perchance put the key inside th' box? Not tha' ye'd really know now."

Bardic Knowledge to see if there's anything more to this Drawer of Forgetting.
[roll0]

PolkaBear
2007-06-10, 04:09 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren's left eyebrow formed a silver arch. "So the key's been stolen, eh? But if you don't even know what's inside the box, why would opening it be of 'great personal importance'?"

His tone became slightly obnoxious and superior: "Hoar does not designate his servants to pursue petty matters. The injustice in this world is too great to waste time chasing...trinkets and oddments."

His voice warmed slightly, losing its edge; and his red eyes glinted. "Now if the box contained treasure beyond words, or if the thief were taunting with your loss, then it would be a different situation entirely. Such things are worthy of 'creative' solutions and imaginative retribution."

Although worship of Hoar is not as popular as, say, devotion to the Church of Tyr, you might still have heard enough of his doctrine to know that this man's words are probably not entirely orthodox.

Toliudar
2007-06-10, 05:41 PM
Eberhart

Hoar...Hoar...one of those upstart human gods with an inflated sense of their own importance, no doubt.

The dwarf's eyes twinkle with sudden amusement.

The great Hoar smiles, then, on those who pursue profit in their retributions? How enlightened.

And Lager, it's so good to see you coming around to my way of thinking. Because when you've got is a set of locksmith's tools, everything starts to look like a lock. Still, I'm guessing that if this is some kinda fancy forgetting-magic-thingy, it's not going to be as easy as that.

knewsom
2007-06-10, 06:02 PM
"Oh, I'm afraid you're mistaken about the nature of this drawer. Forgetting an item or where you've put it is no uncommon thing. Neither would forgetting a birthday, or the favorite food of a loved one. But can you imagine forgetting whole stretches of your life? Days? Weeks? MONTHS, just GONE in an instant? People coming to talk to you whom you've never laid eyes on, treating you with familiarity, but it doesn't ring a bell. Can you imagine forgetting a lover? A friend? A birth? A death? The power of the drawer is deep and unpredictable. Generally you will lose any memories attached directly or sometimes even indirectly to whatever object is placed inside. It can be a great blessing, or a terrible curse. If it were broken or forced open, I'm afraid any memories you had attached to the item inside would be lost forever. Were the KEY inside the box, I'm sure that would account for my forgetting where it was, but how on earth would I have locked it in there if that was so? I never said that the key was stolen, only lost. I need the five of you to solve this mystery for me - I'm too old to go galivanting about looking for lost memories. When you get to be as old as me, though I suspect most of you won't live a third as long as I have, your memories become the single most prescious posession you have. So yes, the treasure inside could be unimaginable. It could be anything. And I suppose it's easily worh the gold you'll be paid for your trouble... Well, the gold and the supplies you'll be recieving."

PolkaBear
2007-06-10, 09:51 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

The tiefling had the decency--imagine that!--to look abashed at the dwarf's observation. His mouth opened, but his retort was strangled before it could come out.

If there's a tithe given to further the work, then surely it's a fitting repayment...right? After all, the worker is worthy of his wage; so it's only just that the one who rebalances the scales be recompensed for his intervention.

But is it right that the one to whom justice is restored be the one to provide the recompense? Surely it is more fitting that it be the offender that pays what is due.

His mouth clapped shut. Oh, I wish I had paid more attention to Solun during his lectures. I know he addressed this issue; I just can't remember what he said.

The elf's explanation interrupted these thoughts.

"So wait--it wasn't stolen? Why did you contact our temple for help then?"

Ulryn didn't, in fact, contact the temple. The cleric Solun had heard the of the general call for help that the elf had published. He (Solun) was annoyed with Meiphren, and thought that this was an easy way to get the tiefling out of his hair for a while--and perhaps give him some experiences which would mature him.

Despite his pious proclamations, the avaricious aspect of his fiendish blood was simmering at the mention of the gold and supplies.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-06-11, 02:35 AM
Jericho

"Well, with breaking it open out of the question, I guess that starts us off then.
Would ye happen to have any leads where we should start?"

Jericho wasn't sure searching for a key was going to be a story worth telling later in life, but his knowledge of such stories and items, told him it was probably going to grow on a much larger scale.
Atleast, with an item that removes memories associated with the contents, must surely be powerful, and if someone took the key, they must have had a very good reason indeed.

Foobar
2007-06-11, 07:36 AM
Lager

Knowing that this was more his brother's sort of thing, Lager is content to relax, listen, and observe his comrades. He glances out the windows, perks up to listen as birds chirp or at any natural sounds from outside. Other than that, he looks slightly bored.

knewsom
2007-06-11, 11:31 AM
From what Eberhart could tell from his inspection of the drawer, they key would be a typical looking skeleton key, about two inches in length, and probably made of gold. There was indeed writing on the box, in fact, two distinctly different sets of text, which you don't even recognise - it's not elven, dwarvish, or any of the languages used by men that you've seen.

Ulryn scratched his chin. "Yes Jericho, I do have a general idea of where would be a good place to start looking. The last memory I have of the key was the feeling of it in my pouch as I felt for gold to pay the inkeeper in the town of Forrest Gate to the west of Arabel, set amongst the King's Forrest. Here is a map (http://www.visioncollective.com/knewsom/Cormyr.gif). I will also help equip you for this journey. My many years of wizardry and adventuring have left me with a great many things for which I have very little use. Please, tell me a bit about each of you - your strengths, your weaknesses, so I might better know what would help you, and so that each of you might get to know each other a bit better. The journey may not be incredibly far, but it could take some time, and is bound to be difficult. If you have any specific needs, let me know, and I'll try to meet them. My cottage may look small, but believe me, I've a great many more places to keep things than it would appear. And Meiphren, I haven't a clue as to what you're talking about, but I suppose it's possible it was stolen - I simply don't remember, which is really quite a connundrum."

PolkaBear
2007-06-11, 02:58 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

The wizard's answer was enough to satisfy Meiphren. But you wanted to be satisfied, didn't you, a whispering thought insinuated. Meiphren scowled and flicked at his ear as if brushing away a fly.

"Supplies? Uh, yeah. Well, I'm set for food and drink. I'm better in a fight than I am anything else, I guess. I've never had to face down a real magician, though, and this sort of task seems to be the type to attract their attention; so anything that would help me against spells would help. Other than that...I dunno, do you have some better armor than this? It's stout and well-made, but not very impressive. That's probably not the sort of thing a wizard like you would have hanging around." Plus, it was my uncle's--and I'd rather forget him if I could.

"Oh, yeah. What do you know about this--" he manifested his mindblade "--sort of thing? I've been told it's a 'divine grace of the mind,' or something like that; but the old man didn't know too much about it. Whatever it is, maybe it would be pertinent to outfitting."

"Let me think about your supplies question, though. Maybe I'll come up with something more helpful."

Toliudar
2007-06-11, 06:21 PM
Eberhart

The dwarf's attention is only half on the conversation, still focused as he is on the box.

Hmm. Looks like this will take a skeleton key, about 2 inches. Gold, if it matches the housing.

There's writing on here, Ulryn. I don't get it. Do you know what it says, or is this part of the "forgetting" thing? And if you don't know what it is, I'd like to get some ink and parchment so that I can try to copy it for later.

Oh, uh, me, right! Well, Lager's your man in a fight, but I know how to break things. Sometimes fix em too, later. Usually, I use these.

A pair of finely-crafted steel maces hang from his belt. Both have a rounded and a flat surface.

And...supplies? Food's good. Maybe a wagon, if we're all travelling together. And...well, I used up most of my acid and alchemist's fire when we were torch - well, back in Sembia. You got anything like that?

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-06-11, 08:06 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros
"Oh, yeah. What do you know about this--" he manifested his mindblade "[color=orange]--sort of thing?

And that's when Psyloke stabs you in the face. :smallbiggrin:

Jericho

Jericho shrugged. He didn't really think he was lacking in any general faculties. But then, he wasn't exactly one to admit faults anyhow.

"I don't know of anything physical where I would need aid. However, if you have anything that could help me from being snuck up on, or even outflanked, that'd help."

Foobar
2007-06-12, 07:48 AM
Lager

Grinning, Lager chimes in

Eberhart there is ugly and dumb. Got anything that can fix that?

He chuckles at his own wit.

Not sure that I need anything. General supplies for a trip for these city folk might be good, and I could use some rations. I got ok weapons and armor, I guess. Love the forest, though. Used to sneak out of the caves to wander them in the snow and ice. Drove everyone crazy doing that. Dunno what I need. Maybe you can tell me better than I can, anyway.

He looks at the old elf for a long moment. Then, he surveys the room, as if to see if there is something there that he desperately needs.

Toliudar
2007-06-12, 01:48 PM
Eberhart

Snagging his brother's leg, Eberhart twists and pulls him down off of his seat onto the floor next to him. He is grinning hugely.

Ugly! Says the guy who can't stay in one grove too long cause the bark starts peeling off the branches.

He turns to the elf, with a laugh like a strangled snicker.

I tell you what this guy's gonna need! Healing potions!

Abruptly, his smile disappears, and he shrugs.

Actually, a few emergency potions of healing would be great.

PolkaBear
2007-06-12, 10:08 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren nodded. "Those are always handy when you don't have a cleric around. I usually did. So does that mean that none of you can cast a simple healing spell? Uh...no shame in that; I mean, I can't."

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-06-13, 12:15 AM
Jericho

The bard shook his head.
"Aye, I know a few spells. Though I haven't yet had the time to study any healing spells. Given time though I can learn a few."

1337_master
2007-06-13, 01:00 AM
Xaal waits for a good moment to go up to Jericho and ask:

excuse me,Are you in the need of the services of an archer sir?

knewsom
2007-06-13, 01:31 PM
Ulryn chuckled as the dwarves tussled on the ground. He began rummaging through a nearby trunk, tossing junky looking items over his shoulder as he went (some of which you'll have to duck to avoid getting hit by), muttering under his breath.

"Let me see.... Now where did I put that... I know it's in here somewhere... Ah yes, rusty gauntlets, circlet of fools, thumb gloves, aaaannnddd...."

Ulryn stood up, a large piece of what appeared to be black silk in his hands, and a big smile on his face.

"Voila!"

Blinking in confusion at the many blank faces in the room, he sighed.

"What, none of you have ever seen a portable hole before?"

Ulryn tossed the fabric against one of the walls where it stuck and became a three-foot hole. Ulryn promptly climbed in and began rummanging through an even larger amount of possesions, still calling out to the group from inside as he looked, even larger items flying out of the hole this time, and landing on the ground.

"Now, many have called me a fool for bieng such a packrat - I've never thown ANYTHING away you see, but I KNEW this stuff would come in handy sooner or later."

A mithral breastplate, some gloves, and a gorget clanged into the pile, followed by what looked like a couple magic wands, a stack of cloaks, and a strange box-like device which landed with a resounding thud.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-06-13, 02:39 PM
Jericho

Jericho jumped as the elf put a hole in the wall.
"Holy f***ing ****! In all my days I've never seen such a thing."
The bard then turns his attention to Xaal.
"From the looks lad I beleive we'll all be in need of a good archer."

knewsom
2007-06-13, 02:46 PM
From inside the hole you heard the sound of Ulryn chuckling to himself as he rummaged about, with the occasional clatter and a single solitary crash, followed by a curse in a language you've never heard.

"#*$*@! I always liked that mirror. Eberhart, while I'm looking, you can copy the writing on the box if you desire, but copy the two languages on different pieces of paper if you would, please."

1337_master
2007-06-13, 02:56 PM
"Well than I'm your man, sir." replies Xaal, All I require are the Objects that would Be beneficial to Me.

Foobar
2007-06-13, 03:33 PM
Lager

Lager blinks a couple of times slowly as the hole opens on the wall. He looks carefully at it before putting his head out the window to look at the other side of the wall.

Well, I'll be....

He casually wanders over and sticks his head in the hole, crouching to avoid the objects flying out of it. Reaching around inside it, he taps thoughtfully at the boundary.

Not stone. Not felt anything like it. That hole opened just like Eberhart's mouth, although it doesn't hold as much.

He looks over all the items stuffed in the portable hole.

Spot+7 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2737418&posted=1#post2737418) for anything interesting.

Toliudar
2007-06-13, 08:30 PM
Eberhart

Shrugging as the elf disappears into the...whatever the hell that "portable hole" thing is, Eberhart scootches over on the floor to examine the gloves and cloaks that have been tossed out. He glances up at Xaal and nods.

This might'a been the one time bein' late works for you. Saved you a few hours of Lager's company.

Examining the gloves and cloaks, looking for something of masterwork quality. Might be something good against the chill of outdoors. Appraise +2

1337_master
2007-06-13, 08:41 PM
Xaal Raises an Eyebrow and says in a confused voice, What?

Toliudar
2007-06-13, 10:41 PM
Eberhart

The dwarf grins crookedly at the archer, and returns to examining the clothes.

Oh. Ulryn's test for us - it was seeing who else would give up and go away. So by coming late...never mind.

1337_master
2007-06-13, 11:35 PM
"OOOOOOHHHH...Well that makes...a little sense..."

knewsom
2007-06-14, 01:45 AM
The air inside the extradimensional space felt eerie, like a charge of static electricity. Ulryn poked his head out from the top of the hole and looked down at Lager. As he looked up to see Ulryn in the odd position, he noticed that everything inside the room was stuck to the ceiling - or perhaps, that the inside of the portable hole was completely upside down compared with the rest of the world.

"Hey, hey, quit peeking - I'm sure there'll be more goodies in here for you later," He smirked.

He swung out of the hole, nimbly for such an aged elf, and landed somewhat uneasily astride the pile of goods he pulled out of the strange apparation.

"Now now, what have we here... OK, the cloaks are for each of you to help avoid unseen eyes and move more stealthily when required. The mithral breastplate is up for grabs, for our Bard I have a wand of magic missiles and for our ranger, a wand of cure light wounds, for the bard also a gorget to help protect against strikes to the throat, Aaaand...."

Ulryn picked up a small bag from the pile, which he emptied into his hands with a gleeful smile. It was full of rings and amulets.

"A ring of protection for you each! Xaal, a pair of gloves that I believe will make you even more accurate. Well, that's that, I suppose, unless any of you has a more specific request - I think I have a cache of basic weapons and armor here somewhere as well... But in any case, here is 20 gold apiece for miscellaneous expenditures, and here is a map that will lead you to Forest Gate."

The map (http://www.visioncollective.com/knewsom/Cormyr.gif) he hands to Lager.

"Oh yes! I nearly forgot." He picked up the small boxlike device that had landed with such a thud. "This is a portable fortress if you REALLY end up in a bind, you'll find a way to contact me inside. Please only use it if you MUST - this thing attracts so much attention."

Foobar
2007-06-14, 08:10 AM
Lager

Lager picks up his stuff and opens the map. He grunts.

Good map. Shouldn't be any trouble to find that place. Any way to be sure we've found the right key?

Stopping to look over the items, he thinks out loud.

Something that would let us tell if something is magical might help...

Toliudar
2007-06-14, 09:01 AM
Eberhart

Wow. A good idea, Lager? We'll mark today on the calendar.

Eberhart gratefully takes the cloak and ring, and an extra bundle of arrows.

Well, no time like the present. I'm guessing we're all walking - is that good for everybody? And does anybody need to go back into town for their stuff, or can we take off from here?

PolkaBear
2007-06-14, 09:02 AM
Meiphren Dunapuros

"It's almost like shopping in the Church armory." He grinned. 'Course, it's not like they ever let me get near it. Wish I knew why.

"Not to be choosy, or anything; but is there some convenient way to cart this stuff around? My pack is useful; but once you start loading it down, it starts to chafe."

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-06-14, 10:42 AM
Jericho

Jericho ( I'm assuming this is how it works) straps the gorget around his neck thoughtfully, and puts the wand of magic missile into an extra loop in his belt. His swings the cloack over his shoulders and puts the ring on his right middle finger.
"I'm more then greatful for your generocity.
But lads, I've all my gear with me, so I'm ready to go whenever."
Still a bit awed at the thought of a portable fortress.

Foobar
2007-06-14, 05:33 PM
Lager

Thanks for the stuff. Guess we should be on our way to do your job. By the way, how do you activate the Fortress?

knewsom
2007-06-15, 01:38 PM
"It can easily be activated by speaking the command word." Ulryn opened his mouth to speak it then thought better of it. "The word is spelled A-E-L-U-M-I-T-A-R. As for a more convenient way of carrying these things, it doesn't seem to me that you all have more than you can carry easily... If you like, you can take the mule from the stable with you, though he's still young and sometimes a bit ornery."

PolkaBear
2007-06-15, 01:47 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

"How's that? 'Aelumi--' uh, never mind."

"About the mule: I'm not all that good with animals. Let's just say that in my opinion, they're good mostly for eating. So unless someone else is a rabbit-hugger, I guess I'll make do with my pack."

"And that about does it for me. Ready to go? And thanks, Ulryn. You won't regret choosing us."

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-06-15, 03:11 PM
Jericho

"I may be able to handle a mule. Ornery is just another challenge"
Besides, it just might fight on their behalf sometimes. Somethinh to bear alot of weight is also good when transporting fallen allies of course.

Toliudar
2007-06-15, 04:58 PM
Eberhart

Eberhart sees that the amulet has not yet been claimed, and picks it up to examine it. Well, it probably won't kill me. He slips it into a side pocket.

Pushing down the contents of his pack, Eberhart lays his old cloak on top - good for an emergency blanket, he supposed.

Right, bro. You got the map. Which way now?

1337_master
2007-06-16, 05:28 PM
If no one else grabs the gloves, I take them up, and Put them on my hands.

PolkaBear
2007-06-16, 08:15 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

"Forest Gate is north of Suzail. I'd rather avoid going back--uh, through--Suzail. Lotsa traffic around the capital, you know. It would slow us down."

"Is there a more direct route? Lemmee see the map."

[If Lager allows him a look at it:]

"Ah, there we go. We cut out to the west and enter the forest--there's a gorgeous inn with a small pair of serving girls at that crossroads." He blinked and paused, then continued. "It's the King's Forest, so I'm guessing that it should be well patrolled. If not...then we get to try out these new toys."

He sounded as if he'd welcome the chance to do so.

Foobar
2007-06-16, 08:33 PM
Lager

I've been managing Eberhart here for years. A mule should be no problem. Yeah, that path is as good as any, and I'm all ion favor of avoiding cities. Here, I'll hold that fortress thingy. Let's get going.

With a nod of thanks to the old elf, Lager grabs some standard supplies and heads out the door to wait on the rest of his companions.

Toliudar
2007-06-16, 09:16 PM
Eberhart

Eberhart smiles faintly at Meiphren's comment. Sounds like we're not the only ones on this team who haven't made friends EVERYWHERE we go. Interesting. Who knows? I may actually get to like this priest.

Mumbling something about how Lager and the mule should get along just great, since they're both stubborn a**es, Eberhart also nods to their new employer and takes his leave.

The King's forest? I'm new around here. What king, and does he actually spend time there?

knewsom
2007-06-17, 12:47 PM
"Meipheren, it must have been some time since you've been in the King's Forest... I'm afraid it's mostly overrun with Orcs and Goblins... the great kingdom of Cormyr isn't what it once was - the power of the Purple Dragons is failing, and they're trying their best to protect the cities that are still free - luckily we managed to win Arabel back, but the kingdom has not yet fully recovered, I'm afraid. I'd be surprised if your serving wenches were still at the inn, if that inn even still exists - to my knowledge, Forest Gate is the closest thing to a town in the forest."

knewsom
2007-06-17, 12:54 PM
"Eberhart, that is a difficult question to answer - the political history of Cormyr is long and turmultuous, moreso lately than ever. At the moment, the ruler of the kingdom is the Princess Alusair, assisted by the dowager queen Filfaeril. There are however, many other interests at work, and unseen forces that maniuplate this place."

PolkaBear
2007-06-18, 02:47 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

"Naw, I was talking about an inn on the road between here and Suzail, not actually in the King's Forest. I've never been there, myself. Never had reason."

"If something did happen to that inn, though, that'd be a shame. A real shame."

"Everyone ready? Let's get the mule and split."

Foobar
2007-06-18, 04:31 PM
Lager

As the rest of the party emerges, they find Lager angrily glaring at a mule. A short rope lies tied around its neck, and even the least attuned to animal behavior can sense something of smug satisfaction in its demeanor.

Durn thing bit me. Had to smack it a couple of times to get it to let go. You should like him, Eberhart. He fights dirty. Ready to go?

He gives it a surprisingly affectionate clout on the head before helping to load the packs. He takes the rope and wanders off, whistling tunelessly, and rubbing the red marks on his arm.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-06-19, 02:15 AM
Jericho

"I'm ready. I won't say the sooner we get this done the better, as that usually brinGs bad luck.
But let the gods smile on our journey, and deliver us peaceabley.... And if thEy can't manage that, then f**k 'em."

1337_master
2007-06-19, 08:19 AM
Good, sooner the better. now lets stop talking ABOUT leaving and actually leave.

knewsom
2007-06-19, 11:33 AM
......AND, you departed, the late afternoon air turning to cooler evening air after a few hous as you walked. The crickets came and chirped, and as the sun went down, the buzz of midges filled your ears, and much to your surprise, the mule pretty much behaved itself, with the exception of trying to eat Lager's beard once or twice. You're now about two hours' walk from Arabel, and you haven't seen an inn or a shop or anything now for about two miles. The sound of a creek grows as you continue, and you find a sizeable clearing in the sparse forest and farmland by its side - an ideal camping spot.

Foobar
2007-06-19, 02:24 PM
Lager

Looking around at the campsite, Lager grunts. He motions for the party to stay put and explores the site, looking for tracks or other indications of recent visitors.

Survival +9, Knowledge Nature +8, Search +6 please.

He returns to the group.

Don't know that any of us are in that big a hurry, and I don't think we'll find anywhere better than here. What do you say we set up camp, and then we can take a shot at catching some game?

Lager goes over to the mule to start unloading, idly dodging a nip and swatting the mule between the eyes.

If anyone doesn't want to stop, no problem.

PolkaBear
2007-06-19, 03:13 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

"Dwarves can see in the dark, right? We could keep going until we reach an inn, then. Unless you're tired now, that is."

Apparently he's somewhat oblivious to concerns of the non-dwarves in the group.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-06-20, 02:19 AM
Jericho

The Bard took a look around the area. Seemed like a nice place to rest, however if they could go on further, there was no real reason why they shouldn't.
He sufficed to meet himself half way.

"Ifn' ye don' mind me sayin'. This place is as good as 'ny other."

knewsom
2007-06-20, 12:52 PM
Lager sees what he believes to be a deer trail to one side of the camp, but which way they were headed, he hasn't a clue.

1337_master
2007-06-21, 02:53 AM
I say we count our blessings for this Site, and camp here.

Toliudar
2007-06-21, 09:18 AM
Eberhart

Right, then. Here we stay.

Eberhart sticks close to Lager for the most part, going off only to gather wood for the fire at one point.

Seeing his brother staring at the ground, Eberhart groans.

Hunting? Already with the hunting? We've got full packs already. Can't we wait till the straps aren't digging into my shoulders so bad to add more meat?

Regardless of his protests, if Lager is intent on following up on his search for fresh game, Eberhart will accompany him. Once the chores are done, Eberhart settles by the fire, lost in his own thoughts and an examination of his new medallion.

knewsom
2007-06-22, 12:44 PM
Lager and Eberhart don't seem to find recent signs of deer passage, and shortly give up on the whole hunting idea. Such undertakings are generally better left for the dusk hours anyways.

You all make camp, and enjoy the fire's warmth - the evening air is cool, almost chilly, but certainly not cold. In fact, things seem almost perfect. Just as you're about to go to bed....

listen and spot checks everyone please

1337_master
2007-06-22, 10:33 PM
[roll0] spot
[roll1] listen

knewsom
2007-06-24, 12:11 PM
Whilst Lager was staring into the fire, he heard a rustle in the trees, he turned his head in exactly the right direction, but didn't see a single solitary thing moving. Xaal, on the other hand, didn't hear anything, but caught Lager's glance over behind them to the West, and followed suit, just barely catching a glimpse of a pair of black humanoid eyes gleaming in the firelight, perched on a branch some 15 feet off the ground, less than 20 feet into the forest to the west.

Foobar
2007-06-25, 08:23 AM
Lager

Exchanging a glance with Eberhart, Lager stands up slowly.

He and I have done this so many times already. Too many. I draw attention, he does something sneaky. Too bad I'm better at sneaking than he is, but, hey, you work with what you've got.

He walks over to the fire, making a big show of tending to it, cursing floridly in dwarven.

PolkaBear
2007-06-25, 09:01 AM
Meiphren Dunapuros

The dwarf's cursing puzzled Meiphren. "What's wrong with the fire? Need a hand with it? I'm good with fires."

He liked to play with fires, rather.

1337_master
2007-06-25, 11:28 PM
Ooooookay...What the hell is that? calmly speaks Xaal as he draws his bow.

knewsom
2007-06-26, 12:18 AM
As soon as Xaal reaches his bow, a louder rustle in the tree is heard, then a light thump on the ground, and the backside of a brown lithe humanoid with dark hair in dredlocks is the only thing you see as it bolts into the forest.

Toliudar
2007-06-26, 09:08 PM
Eberhart

Listen and Spot (1d20+6=23, 1d20+6=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1122533)
Well, better late than never.

Eberhart smoothly draws his bow and nocks an arrow, tracking the retreating creature. He wishes that he had a moment to glare at Xaal, but some things will have to wait.

Initiative, Shortbow attack and damage, extra sneak damage if the creature is running. (1d20+3=16, 1d20+4=16, 1d6=4, 1d6=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1122544)

Foobar
2007-06-26, 11:43 PM
Lager

Giving Xaal the glare he knew his brother would like to deliver,

Hasty, all of you, too hasty. Brother, if he wasn't hostile before, he is now. You always get trigger happy when we're out of the city. And, you, Xaal, why didn't you just scream "RUN AWAY" at him?

If we're still on initiative and he hasn't already gotten completely away, [roll0] for initiative. If not, I attempt to track him, [roll1]

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-06-27, 01:26 AM
Jercho

The bard watched as Eberhart apparently shot at something. He yawned and scratched his chin.
"I don' mean ta intrude lad, but, did I miss somethin'?"

knewsom
2007-06-27, 01:29 AM
skipped ini, he had a prepared action, which was to bolt if he was noticed.

The lithe form vanished into the brush before any of you had a chance to take a shot at him - he moved with a speed greater than most anyone you've seen move without magical aid. Lager begins to track him, and sucessfully follows a set of tracks for about 500 feet out of camp, at which point they become more difficult to follow.

make another survival check to continue to track, as well as a listen and spot check, along with anyone else who decides to accompany Lager

1337_master
2007-06-27, 11:58 AM
I roll my eyes and sit down.

PolkaBear
2007-06-27, 12:42 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren's red eyes caught the firelight and glinted. A scout for those bandits? Perhaps. It's probably something interesting, in any case. Let's see if the dwarf can find it.

He followed Lager out of the camp.

Toliudar
2007-06-27, 03:10 PM
Eberhart

Nocking another bow and silently noting his brother's criticism for further discussion later, Eberhart keeps silent and follows Lager into the woods.

knewsom
2007-06-28, 12:12 PM
Lager, Eberhart, and Meiphren, I'll need marching order, and listen and spot checks.

Toliudar
2007-06-28, 04:17 PM
Eberhart

[I'm assuming that Lager's going first, and Eberhart is fine to bring up the rear.

Listen and Spot (1d20+6=16, 1d20+6=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1125944)]

knewsom
2007-06-28, 08:14 PM
Suddenly the lithe form bolts from the woods just to the side of Lager as he continued his attempt to track the mysterious observer, closing the short distance between them in no time at all and hacking viciously at him with a tomahawk, doing ten HP of damage, before turning to run into the woods again.

the man appears to be an elf, but has black dredlocks, dark eyes, and skin that is a much darker shade of brown than you are used to seeing. the only clothing he wears is a loincloth, and some studded leather armor.

eberhart sees him quickly, and gets an AOO. Meiphren doesn't see him until after the attack - roll for initiative.

[roll0]

knewsom
2007-06-28, 08:15 PM
the rest of you who are back at camp, listen checks please.

Toliudar
2007-06-28, 09:17 PM
Eberhart

Hearing a noise from the bushes, Eberhart instinctively sights and lets fly with an arrow. He then steps out, still bow in hand, ready to try to circle behind the elf while he's focused on Lager.

To confirm: the elf moved up and hit Lager this round, so next round he's running back off into the woods?

Initiative (1d20+3=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1126502)
Shortbow attack and damage (1d20+4=17, 1d6=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1126506)

Yup, good thing we're not too hasty to judge what's dangerous, bro.

1337_master
2007-06-29, 03:57 PM
Listen [roll0] -2 penalty because of lack of intent

knewsom
2007-06-29, 08:03 PM
Xaal hears a shout and some scuffling in the woods where his companions went.

1337_master
2007-06-29, 11:16 PM
Huh.... I get up, and Look into the forest.

[roll0]

knewsom
2007-06-29, 11:17 PM
you don't see anything, but then again, it did sound like they were a few hundred feet away.

knewsom
2007-07-01, 12:25 PM
Ok, Eberhart lets fly an arrow at the invader with a cry of rage - cutting a gash in his shoulder, as his brother Lager falls to the ground, completely unconscious. The lithe brown man bolts into the forest once more, with incredible speed. It's Meiphren's turn.

PolkaBear
2007-07-02, 09:38 AM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren took half a step in the direction of the fleeing elfling, then stopped. Could be running into a trap. Besides, that lad was fast.

He turned back and helped Lager up from where he had fallen.

Foobar
2007-07-03, 09:53 AM
Lager

Lager gasps with shock, instinctively covering the wound with his hand before everything becomes dark and he slumps to the ground.

Sorry, guys, I'm back. Been working until 3 AM every night. I leave you all a nice character, and you go and get him killed!

1337_master
2007-07-03, 12:31 PM
I Re-draw my bow, and I walk into the forest, listening and looking for any trace of the search party

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

knewsom
2007-07-03, 01:06 PM
A moment or two later, as Xaal is walking through the woods towards where he heard the commotion, a shadowy form darts from a tree nearby him, swinging his tomohawk with skill and a shreik, but Xaal just manages to duck underneath it. He let fly an arrow from his bow, but the lithe form was too quick, tumbling under the shot as he bolted back into the woods.

Lager opened his eyes as the mysterious attacker's shriek echoed through the night. Meiphren and Eberhart definitely heard it too, as did Jericho.

Toliudar
2007-07-03, 10:10 PM
Eberhart

Huh. Maybe this wasn't the best location for a campsite, bro.

His voice takes on real concern, although his eyes continue to scan the trees.

You all right?

Ready an action to fire at the first sign of someone other than our group.

Attack, damage and sneak attack damage (1d20+3=22, 1d6+1d6=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1133978)

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-07-04, 01:37 AM
Jericho

Jericho stands up. Just like people. Something moves and you automatically chase it, now they're obviously in a fight, typical.
"It would be perfectly reasonable to stop this non-sense you know."

Actions:
[roll0] Initiative. Will draw weapons and stand guard by fire, readying action, Daunting Presence for first unfamiliar face to show up.
DC 13 Will Save or be shaken.

1337_master
2007-07-05, 12:59 AM
Heres My initiative...

[roll0]

knewsom
2007-07-05, 12:58 PM
By the time Xaaltruya nocked another arrow to his bowstring, the man had already pegged it back into the woods. He could chase after if he wanted, but the mysterious fellow was moving VERY quickly.

311, let me explain what happened in game terms. he snuck up on you, attacked you, you dodged thanks to uncanny dodge feat, and he ran off into the woods as his move action - his tumble check negated your AOO. at this point, you can either shoot at him even though you can't really see him (your attack would be at -4, total concealment), or you can follow suit, or you can do something completely different.

1337_master
2007-07-05, 02:54 PM
Hmmmm...Might be a trap... Xaal thinks to himself.

Eh, I attack [roll0]

knewsom
2007-07-06, 11:25 AM
You're not certain whether you hit or miss - your arrow dissapeared into the darkness of the forest ahead of you. The rustling of the underbrush ceases after a moment, and the silence of the forest wells up around all of you. Several minutes pass - you see, and hear, nothing.

1337_master
2007-07-07, 03:27 AM
Hmmm... I put away my Bow, And a say, Is anyone Here?

Toliudar
2007-07-08, 11:16 AM
Eberhart

Eberhart's voice is low and strained as he tries to rouse the cleric to action.

Hey, Meiphren. You're, like, a priest or something, right? Can you help Lager? I'll keep an eye out.

knewsom
2007-07-09, 01:28 PM
The silence of the woods overwhelms you - there is NOTHING out there, no birds, no animals, even the wind is calm. After a few more moments, a nightengale breaks the silence, tree frogs begin to sing, and everything seems as though it's back to normal... despite the fact that you are all spread well out through the forest, and one of you is badly wounded.

PolkaBear
2007-07-09, 03:11 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren sucked a breath between his teeth. He kept his voice low, though. "Sorry. I worked for the churchmen; I wasn't one of our clerics. I was the muscle."

Fitting action to his words, he easily picked up Lager and set the dwarf on his feet. The rough handling of an injured man warranted a curse or three.

Foobar
2007-07-09, 05:05 PM
Lager

Lager twitches a couple of times. He starts mumbling to himself, only a few words recognizable.

What? ... eyes, red eyes ... darkness...

He starts to shake and then jerks upright. He immediately slumps, rubbing his head and clawing for the wand. He waves it with his eyes closed and immediately looks better. Standing up,

Did anyone see what that thing was? Where are the others? Is everyone ok?

He looks around quickly until he locates his brother and then relaxes slightly.

Toliudar
2007-07-09, 10:50 PM
Eberhart

The dwarf lets up only a bit on his short bow.

Hey, easy with him there, man!

A genuine note of concern for his brother penetrates Eberhart's gruff manner.

Little tree-basta's popped in and out on us twice now, faster'n you can belch. I don't relish the thought of camping out next to that. I say we go back for the others, make a better effort to actually find this guy. But only if yer feelin' up to it, Bro.

Foobar
2007-07-10, 09:35 AM
Lager

Course I'm up for it. Let's go find everyone before they kill themselves running into trees.

Lager jumps to his feet, sways only for a few steps, and heads off in generally the right direction to get back to the campsite.

Toliudar
2007-07-10, 09:59 AM
Eberhart

Nodding, Eberhart again takes rear-guard, glancing nervously over his shoulder reflexively.

Too many bloody trees.

PolkaBear
2007-07-10, 10:45 AM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren took up the rear position, looking out into the colorless world of night for any sign of the attacker's return.

[roll0]
[roll1]

knewsom
2007-07-12, 07:01 PM
on the way back you see Xaaltruya, still looking off into the woods where he had fired an arrow.

Foobar
2007-07-13, 10:20 PM
Lager

Xaal, did you get him? I hope you left something for me. I'd like to have a short, sharp, discussion with our fast little friend. Where is he?

Lager looks around for signs of his assailant.

PolkaBear
2007-07-14, 11:06 AM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren keeps scanning the woods and following the others back to the campsite, his blade held ready.

1337_master
2007-07-14, 09:09 PM
Xaal waits for a moment as if he is sort of out of mind...

huh? oh, I'm sorry. that bush was shaking a little while ago, but I shot it and it stopped, I've been waiting to see if it is to come out. Here, lets see if its dead.

I rumble through the bushes to look for the source of the rattling.

Toliudar
2007-07-15, 10:50 AM
Eberhart

The dwarf gives his brother a He shot a bush? look, and watches the archer head into the underbrush.

We, uh, figured we could hook up with Jericho and all of us together might go and try to find this guy. How bout you come with us?

knewsom
2007-07-15, 01:52 PM
Xaal wanders about 20' into the woods, tromping about, but not finding much. Just when he's about to turn and leave, a wild shreik of rage is heard from directly above, as the spry foe attacks from above, seemingly coming out of nowhere. His tomahawk swings with deadly accuracy this time, and even Xaaltruya's deft ability to dodge unseen blows doesn't save him this time as it connects with the elf's neck, doing 8 damage. This time he doesn't turn to run but squares up to fight, his lithe musculature flexing, his primitive looking weapon dripping with blood.

PolkaBear
2007-07-15, 03:02 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren heard Xaal's cry of pain and turned to see the axe-wielding aggressor yet again. "What's your issue, you elfling freak? Why are you so gods-bent on attacking us? We didn't do anything. Can't you see we'll kick your butt?"

Toliudar
2007-07-15, 06:24 PM
Eberhart

Pleased that the homicidal freak was finally intent on staying put, Eberhart glanced over at his brother.

Adroit and sinister? he murmurs.

Eberhart circles left of the group, where Meiphren is graciously taking focus.

Hide and move silently (1d20+6=25, 1d20+6=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1152726)

His goal is to move around to about 20-30' away from the insane axe-wielder.

Toliudar
2007-07-17, 05:53 PM
You might get +1 to damage with point blank shot.

knewsom
2007-07-17, 07:53 PM
The elf's brown eyes narrowed as Meiphren spoke.

"You're the ones who chased after me, remember? Shooting at me as I fled? I was just curious to see what you were up to is all... But if it's a fight you want, then by the gods, it's a fight you'll get!"

PolkaBear
2007-07-17, 10:26 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren was tempted to agree to the offer of a fight, but his sense of fair play prevailed.

"Wait a minute, brown-butt. You attacked my friend first. Get your facts straight before you start throwing charges around!"

Then again, maybe he was just being asinine.

Foobar
2007-07-18, 04:49 AM
Lager

Rubbing his arm, Lager shoots a dirty look at the archer.

We can keep this going if you want. I prefer to talk. Or, even better, to listen. Who are you? Why were you skulking around out there? Not that skulking is bad, mind you.

He glances at his brother, who is, yet again, doing a distressingly bad job of skulking.

knewsom
2007-07-18, 10:37 AM
The brown elf shifted his weight slightly from one foot to the other, keeping his eyes on all of you.

"You spotted me in the trees... I fled, and heard the twang of a bow and the whistle of an arrow as it flew over my head through the trees. Then you all followed me so I defended myself. If you must know I was skulking because skulking is what I do."

sense motive everyone please

PolkaBear
2007-07-19, 06:20 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren accepted the elfling's account that the bowshot had instigated the attack upon Lager. That must have been Xaal. Foolish, bow-happy idiot.

He rounded on the archer. "What'd you go and shoot at him for? You don't go shooting people if you don't know their business. Who knows who else he has backing him up--you don't want to bring them all down upon us, do you?"

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-07-20, 01:03 AM
Jericho

((Figured I'd post for once.))

After a while of waiting things seemed to calm down. Jericho sighed, put his swords away, and sat on a log where he had originally been siiting. He drew out his lute and began to play.

((Sorry, too early to be creative, going to take music from Cradle fo Filth Today. For copyright purposes: "Her Ghost, In The Fog"))

Perform (+2 for masterwork lute) [roll0]
"The moon she hangs like a cruel portrait,
Soft winds whisper the bidding of trees,
As this tragedy starts with a shattered glass heart,
And the midnightmare trampling of dreams.
But oh, no tears please,
Fear pain may acompany death.
But it is his desire, that shephards incertanty,
As we, shalt see..."

10 Go to
20 Round One of Performing
30 End

1337_master
2007-07-20, 02:42 AM
Xaal Puts away his Bow

I apologize, horrible things can Come from a rumbly bush. And I've been near one too many rumbly bushes.

Toliudar
2007-07-20, 10:13 AM
Eberhart

Wait a minute - sure, we attacked! You were hiding in a tree, an' when Xaal here tried to talk to you, you jumped out and ran. Like we asked: what was your purpose in spying on us?

The dwarf steps a bit closer to the elusive woodman, his bow lowered but still at ready.

Sense Motive (1d20+6=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1160847)

Readying an action to shoot him if he attacks or runs.

knewsom
2007-07-22, 02:41 PM
The wild-elf's weight shifted from foot to foot as Eberhart approached him suspiciously.

"Like I told you, I was curious. If you think you want to fight me, then bring it on... Otherwise put that damned bow away."

As he spoke, his eyes narrowed, and he poised himself to attack Eberhart if he made another false move.

Foobar
2007-07-22, 05:32 PM
Lager

Arr, don't give us that guff. You weren't just casually sneaking around. What were you really doing?

He glances at his brother before looking back to stare at the elfling.

knewsom
2007-07-24, 12:49 PM
The dark wild elf's eyes narrowed. His lips curled in anger.

"Are you calling me a liar?"

intimidate [roll0]

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-07-24, 10:41 PM
Jericho

The bard was getting a bit nervous. It wasn't usual to hear your companions shouting after chasing something in the bushes and suddenly go quiet without returning shortly afterwards. Never-the-less, he simply continued his song. Raising his voice however that his companions might hear him.

"She was divinity's creature
That kissed in cold mirrors
A Queen of Snow
Far beyond compare
Lips attuned to symmetry
Sought her everywhere
Trappastine liquored eyes
An Arabian nightmare

She shone on watercolours
Of my pondlife as pearl
Until those who couldn't have her
Cut her free of this World

That fateful eve when
The trees stank of sunset and camphor
Their lanterns chased phantoms and threw
An inquisitive glance, like the shadows they cast
On my love picking rue by the light of the moon"

Toliudar
2007-07-24, 11:57 PM
Eberhart

The dwarf pointedly does not put away the bow.

Nah. He's calling you a skulking spy. Which is about what you said yourself. So, if "what you do" is spy on travellers, then maybe you're up to teling us why you'd be doing that? Unless you like four-to-one odds.

Foobar
2007-07-25, 09:14 AM
Lager

Grunting, Lager stares at the creature in their midst.

I want to know what you're doing here and why you're watching us. Tell us the truth. I don't want to fight, but I prefer that to letting someone who attacked me skulk after us all the way through the forest.

knewsom
2007-07-26, 02:08 AM
The elf scoffed lightly at Eberhart's threat of four-to-one odds, almost relishing in the thought before looking at Lager with a sigh.

"The simple truth is that if I told you, I'd suffer a fate worse than death. I'll just sum it up by saying that I'm not here by my own choosing - believe me, I'd much rather be at home in Chondalwood, so you'll either have to kill me... or learn to like me."

Foobar
2007-07-26, 02:41 PM
Lager

Looking him over carefully, Lager relaxes slightly. A look of mild distaste floats over his face.

If you're the sort that forces yourself onto those that don't want you, fine. I'd never be so desperate for companions. But I don't reckon you're dangerous right now, so do what you like.

He looks over at the others to see if they agree.

PolkaBear
2007-07-26, 04:16 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

"That doesn't make any sense," scoffed Meiphren. "What, you'd be buggered by your bosses? And you must be crazy to suggest that we'd prefer to offer a seat by our fire to a skulking spy than to squeeze the truth out of him in a painful manner of our choosing."

Toliudar
2007-07-26, 05:17 PM
Eberhart

What? My choices are to fight this guy, or take him on as a companion after he spied on our camp. Easy choice.

I got a better idea. What if we all just agree to part company now, and nobody gets hurt. Well, hurt more. If we see each other again, there's either more information coming to us, or blood between us. Clear enough?

knewsom
2007-07-27, 12:12 PM
The wild elf's dark eyes narrowed and his expression grew cold, but with a hint of sadness.

"Have it your way then. But the next time I'm attacked, don't think I'll be as easy on you as I was this time."

Without waiting for a response, he turned and started walking into the woods.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-07-27, 09:09 PM
Jericho

Jericho started to worry a bit more.... They were probably doing it on purpose... If they'd been picked off, whomever did it, would have definitely coem along for him too. So he simply continued singing and playing.

"Putting reason to flight
Or to death as their way
They crept through woods mesmerized
By the taffeta ley
Of her hips that held sway
Over all they surveyed
Save a mist on the rise
A deadly blessing to hide
Her ghost in the fog

They raped left
Five men of God
Her ghost in the fog

Dawn discovered her there
Beneath the Cedar's stare
Silk dress torn, her raven hair
Flown to gown her beauty bared
Was starred with frost, I knew her lost
I wept 'til tears crept back to prayer

She'd sworn me vows in fragrant blood
Never to part
Lest jealous Heaven stole our hearts

Then this I screamed
Come back to me
I was born in love with thee
So why should fate stand inbetween?
"

knewsom
2007-07-27, 10:47 PM
The sound of Jericho's dirgesong finally begins to reach your ears as the wild elf disappears into the woods. Something about it doesn't sit quite right - some of you don't know quite how to feel about this. For some reason, you're certain you'll see his face again, or at least his vicious blade. The effect of the adrenaline wearing off combined with the sound of Jericho's singing make for a mood that is really quite sad.

1337_master
2007-07-29, 06:58 AM
well....looks like we'll be heading back then...Okay. I'll take first watch for four hours, who is interested in taking second?

Toliudar
2007-07-30, 01:48 PM
Eberhart

Eberhart glances over at his brother before speaking.

Given the sneaky-sneaky going on here, I'd say we double up on the watches, and since Lager and I see in the dark...all the better. Lager, why don't you join Xaal here, and I can sit with Meiphren. We'll figure out what to do about a third watch - maybe I can take more time. Now, how about we go and find a way to shut Jericho up, before he wakes up the rest of the forest.

He listens to the others while heading back towards the source of the song.

Foobar
2007-07-30, 03:56 PM
Lager

Following Eberhart, Lager comments,

You want to shut up a bard now? That's new. The last one you'd sit and listen to for hours. All that sighing for, well, I guess she was attractive for an elf, but seriously.

Lager continues looking for Jericho.

Toliudar
2007-07-30, 04:06 PM
Eberhart

I'm telling you, she was hitting on ME. And besides, she was solid for an elf, and if you looked at her JUST right...

Anyway, Just because my beard parts in a way that makes me look all dashing and rebellious, and yours looks like you combed it with a tree root...don't go getting all bothered-like.

But don't worry - you can moon over this one. After all, it's your turn.

Eberhart still holds his bow, not QUITE trusting the wild elf to have departed.

PolkaBear
2007-07-30, 04:12 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren rolled his eyes at the brothers' banter; but deep inside was a sense of longing at never having experienced a close fraternal relationship.

"The dark doesn't bother me, either; so however we're splitting up the watch is fine with me."

Foobar
2007-07-31, 10:36 AM
Lager

Lager rolls his eyes.

It's kind of fun how all your women hit on you by heading out with other guys.

Lager continues to listen for the bard and scan the forest for signs of life.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-07-31, 03:25 PM
Jericho

With a sigh of relief Jericho quit playing. He had managed to hear his compatriots over his own singing.
"Over here lads," he yelled out into the woods, "Now tell me you've atleast got an interesting story... Not something stupid, like you shot first at nothing and got whooped."

PolkaBear
2007-07-31, 03:48 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren snorted. "Yeah, something like that. A skinny little brown elfling clobbered one of the dirt brothers over the head; and our little archer here shot his stuff off prematurely. Good times all around."

Toliudar
2007-07-31, 06:59 PM
Eberhart

Much as I enjoy Tokugal's company, PolkaBear, I think you mean Meiphren.

"Dirt brothers." Huh. I kind of like it.

Lager did indeed get slashed up for his courage in going first and all. Your fantastic knowledge of all things extend to knowing anything about sewing up sword wounds?

knewsom
2007-08-01, 01:47 PM
Remember guys, Xaal still has a nasty cut on his head as well where the Elf surprised him with an attack as well.

When you finally settle in for your watches, the hours pass slowly, the fire continues to crackle, and the night passes quietly.

The next day, you all awake feeling rather disheveled and tired afterwards - that night was not the restful start to an adventure you were looking for.

PolkaBear
2007-08-01, 11:15 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

As Meiphren rolled the kinks out of his shoulders from a night on the road, he noticed the wound on Xaal's forehead. "You might want to get that looked at," he suggested unhelpfully. "There's a bit of grass stuck in the scab now. Hm. Maybe it's a bug."

Foobar
2007-08-02, 04:10 PM
Lager

Or maybe just get it fixed.

Lager pulls out his wand and taps Xaal once on the wound.

That ought to do it. OK, let's pack up and be off.

He's clearly eager to travel deeper into the forest.

Am I still wounded, too? I've lost track.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-08-02, 08:19 PM
Jericho

The bard awoke feeling rather tired still, not discouraged however. He was used to waking up not feeling too well.
He shook his head whipping his dread locks around and making a sound sound he had a face made of rubber.
"Mornin' lads. So, who's goin' to be handlin' our caboose fer the day?"

PolkaBear
2007-08-03, 05:57 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

"What is that supposed to mean? 'Handling our caboose'?"

Toliudar
2007-08-05, 05:59 AM
Eberhart

I don't know what you mean by that, man, but any of you try handling my caboose, and you'll find a mace in yer ear. Meanwhile, let's get out of here soon as we can. Skulking elf-boy could be around anywhere.

He is quickly and industriously checking his own pack, and slings it over his shoulder with determination.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-08-05, 08:01 PM
Jericho

Jericho smiled to himself. They didn't get the joke, but he felt clever none-the-less.
"I meant the ass."
Jericho attempted to cox the mule to move along.

((don't tell me you forgot about it already.))

Handle Animal: [roll0]

Foobar
2007-08-06, 09:46 AM
Lager

Looks like you could use some help with that. I'm done packing already. I'll help out.

Lager wanders over and gives some assistance with loading the mule.

Handle Animal [roll0]

He looks around expectantly, and, when everyone is ready, he heads off.

knewsom
2007-08-06, 01:22 PM
Jericho's efforts are futile, but the experienced hand of the dwarven ranger cull's the mule's quiet rebellion, and it gets moving and keeps pace with the rest of you as you head off down the road, keeping an eye out throughout the day for the wild elf who fought you briefly but fiercely, but dont' see or hear anything - if he's still following, he's keeping a good distance. You pass numerous carts and wagons on your way, many of whom are carrying wounded members of their party, and others who are carrying less than half of the goods you would expect them to be.

After a long day of walking in warm sunshine, the fireflies start to come out, and the sun begins to set - it's about 9:00 now, and you've made it to the edge of a small town called Immersea.

PolkaBear
2007-08-06, 01:41 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

"What say we break for the night in town here? Maybe with solid walls around us we can keep that elfling off our backs. I'm not convinced that he's smart enough to let well enough alone."

Foobar
2007-08-06, 02:53 PM
Lager

Lager snorts.

I prefer sleeping outdoors, but I gave that fight up long ago for Mr Satin Sheets over there. Sure, let's head into town. We might find another bard for him to chase after. Or, at least, I cold tankard of ale.

knewsom
2007-08-06, 08:00 PM
Oh, and I'll need willpower saving throws for all of you, 'cept the mule.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-08-06, 09:58 PM
Jericho

The bard stretched his arms.
"I got no problem takin' shelter 'ere t'night.
Anyone else feel like we're goin' into the belly of the beast though?"
Jericho hadn't quite liked what he'd seen earlier... It was almost as if they were wlaking into trouble.

Will Save: [roll0]

knewsom
2007-08-07, 07:54 PM
Jericho and Meiphren succeed, but the others have forgotten the reason for their quest. That they are searching for a key is all that can be remembered, and it finally dawns upon them as you walk into town that they can't remember what the key is for.

The temperature here is a bit cooler, the "Wyvern Water" off to the east keeps it that way. The sound of ropes and timbers creaking in the docks mix with the sound of evening crickets and midges as you walk through town, many of the various shops closing up as you pass, it is afterall, nightfall. Eventually, you come to the Five Fine Fish Inn, famed for their robust Ale.

Foobar
2007-08-07, 10:06 PM
Lager

Rubbing his hands eagerly, Lager eyes the tavern.

Now, this is what I'm talkin' about. If I have to be in a town, let me at least be in a tavern. Come, friends, first round is on my brother! Ow!

He glances darkly at the mule, who, when Lager was distracted, took the opportunity to nip his arm. He rubs the bite, grumbling to himself.

knewsom
2007-08-07, 10:39 PM
Having deposited the mule in the stable to the side of the Inn, (Lager, handle animal please to avoid being bitten harder this time) you walk into the inn, and the sound of bawdy laughter and people eating and drinking fills your ears. The aroma of sheppard's pie and stale beer fill your noses. The sight of a crowded dining area lies before you (including two full-plate clad knights with shields sitting beside them, wearing much the same attire as you've seen while walking through town - knowledge local check DC10 to know what that's the uniform of). As you approach, a stunningly beautiful halfling standing on a stool behind the bar leans forward.

"What'll it be, kids?"

Foobar
2007-08-08, 08:56 AM
Lager

I wonder if Eberhart's going to go after her, too.

Lager looks around at his group.

Anyone else want one?

He heads over to the bar and smiles at the halfling.

One tankard of something good to drink. Looks pretty busy tonight. Any occasion, or is it always like this?

Lager has his coinpurse tucked inside his clothes. He took out a few small coins before going into the tavern. After waking up nude on top a garbage pile with a sore head a few times, he's learned to be more careful.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-08-08, 03:16 PM
Jericho

The bard enters the tavern, apparently this place was known for it's ale...And there was nothing like a good drink after a long day.
He'd taken a special notice to the uniforms however and searched his mind of where he might have known them from.
(If I am able to use Bardic Knowledge, not yet sure where it all applies.)
[roll0]
(And if not, or if I can and fail)
But he couldn't seem to find anything useful about it.

(Regardless)
He's taken by surprise by the halfling a moment, but smiles politely.
"Well madame, I'll take two pints of yer finest ale fer starters. And would yeh by chance allow people to play?"
He flashed his flute tied to his hip.

PolkaBear
2007-08-08, 03:56 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren nudged Lager. "Well, there's tonight's bard for your brother. Might make things a bit awkward on the road, though."

He looked over the halfling woman [OOC: "Stunningly beautiful," eh?] and seemed to like what he saw. He was careful not to leer, however. The manner in which his cousins had treated attractive women had always bothered him; so he refrained from imitating them--which earned him much derision and mockery.

Nevertheless, he did his best to speak politely. "I guess all of us 'kids' are of a mind to be set up with a mug or two. I also wouldn't mind a plate, if the pie's good tonight."

Mmmm! Shepherd's pie!

knewsom
2007-08-08, 08:21 PM
For those of you who made the check, Jericho included, the knights are Purple Dragon Knights, sworn protectors of Cormyr. Lager manages to avoid being bitten again. ;)

The halfling grabs four large wooden mugs, and fills them with a pump-style tap nearby on the bar. The ale it pours forth froths into the mugs with each pull, sudsing and filling the air with the aroma of something between a triple bock ale and barleywine. She deftly set them on the bar with a slight thunk.

"That'll be 5 silver per ale please, and no, no special occasion tonight - just lots of travelers, it seems that plenty of people are trying to get out of western Cormyr. If you all plan on staying here tonight, you'd best make your arrangements soon, our rooms are filling up. All we've got left is a master suite and three bunks in the men's dorm. And the kitchen closes at ten, that's only an hour from now."

She ignored Meiphren's lustful looks with well practiced ease, and turned her head and shouted to someone in the back.

"Torvald! A plate of sup!"

A large middle-aged Illuskan pokes his head out from the kitchen window, his red and white hair and beard tied into braids.

"Al'right, al'right, one sheppard's pie comin' up."

She turned to Jericho with a somewhat serious look on her face. "If you want to play, go right ahead, but many of these people have been through hard times recently. Don't depress my patrons, people don't tip well when they're sad! If you do, I'll have Torvald back there throw ye out, hear?"

Moments later, a large wooden bowl with steamy-looking and yummy-smelling contents is set on the sill of the kitchen window, and the sound of a bell ringing is heard. The halfling hops off the stool, clambers onto the counter underneath, grabs the dish, hops back down deftly, and climbs back onto her stool, setting the bowl down by the ale without spilling a drop. She reaches into her apron and produces a wooden spoon, placing it in the bowl with a sigh.

"Here's yer food. One gold."

Shortly afterwards, a scruffy looking man with leather armor and a shield approaches the halfling and reserves a spot in the male dorm for the night.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-08-09, 12:45 PM
Jericho

Jericho left a gold on the counter and took his two pints.
"Keep the change love."
He winked, downed one of the ales in about 14 seconds.
"My father alwasy said drinkin' the way I do could kill a man, but since when was living fun anyhow?"
He grinned to his compatriots as wiped his mouth.
"Think I could talk one of you into reserving the suite while I try to rustle up some spare coin?"
Without waiting for a response he took his last glass and turned on his heels.
He spotted an empty table and practically jumped atop it, doing his best to grab the attention of the bar.
He'd remembered doing this countless times before, before his home was raided.

"Good evening lads and lasses, gentelemn and madames, lords and ladies."
He said in a voice loud enough to project around the tavern.
"My name, just so happens, to be Jericho. Now I look around and I see so many glum faces, but, tonight I've come to fix that. We've got good ale, and good food, and that's reason enough to be happy.
Now tell me, have any of you heard of the 'Tale of Maxely?' "

((Perform check to see what I can pull up their attention: [roll0]

In retrospect should have put more ranks in it.))

knewsom
2007-08-09, 01:58 PM
The halfling, clearly not amued by Jercho's 'keep the change' comment, takes the gold, bites it to be sure it's real, and puts it in a pouch at her hip. Barely any change in the croud is discernable when Jericho addresses them loudly, most people continue in their conversations, laughing and drinking their rich ale. I'll also need a fortitude save for each of you drinking, one for each beer.

Foobar
2007-08-10, 08:43 AM
Fortitude [roll0]

knewsom
2007-08-13, 02:43 PM
Jericho stumbles slightly as he walks to a suitable area to perform, and the next time he spoke, his words slurred slightly. You get the impression that if he had another, he might get pretty drunk. Everyone else seems fine for now.

PolkaBear
2007-08-15, 12:34 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren accepted his plate of food with a nod, and returned to the short woman a gold piece. Then he took his fare to find a seat somewhere and listen to Jericho make a fool of himself.

Did any of us make our check to identify the guys in armor?

knewsom
2007-08-15, 12:54 PM
Actually the DC was 12, so I think you're the only one who doesn't know who they armored men are

The halfling accepts the gold coin and moves about behind the bar, filling others' orders and cleaning occasionally.

I'll need another perform check from Jericho to see how he plays, at -2 from the booze.

Foobar
2007-08-16, 02:12 PM
Did you tell the rest of us who they are? I don't remember seeing it.

knewsom
2007-08-16, 02:23 PM
OH! I'm sorry... I had typed that whole thing up, I thought I posted it! They're Purple Dragon Knights, sworn guardians of Cormyr.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2007-08-16, 02:45 PM
Jericho

The bard had forgotten what he was about to say... There was something he could recall about not drinking before a show... But that only applied to elves...Right?

PERFORM: [roll0]
+2 negated by the -2.

As Jericho's mind refocuses he'd completely forgotten about the story he'd planned on telling; And instead drew his lyre and played a few notes.
"Or... Or how 'bout the tale...*hic* of the rise of the Hag countess?"

Foobar
2007-08-17, 09:07 AM
Lager

After Lager and his companions settle at a small table in the corner to listen to Jericho play, he takes a long swig from his tankard and grins happily.

Ahhh, that's much better, isn't it?

Wiping his beard, he settles back in his chair and surveys the room slowly, looking and listening for anything interesting or out of place. Then, he focuses on the Guards.

General survey
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Guards
Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]

PolkaBear
2007-08-17, 10:30 AM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren stood looking for a few empty seats for several moments, until a group that apparently didn't care for Jericho's musical stylings got up and vacated their place at a table.

He sat down next to Lager and thunked his plate on the table. "Busy place tonight, no? Scarcely a seat to be found. Who are all these bully-guards? Think they're after the key to that box, too?" He tried to keep his voice low so that it would hardly carry over the murmur of general conversation.

1337_master
2007-08-19, 12:13 PM
"Who knows..." ...I could try to give you a good ear if you want it... goes the seemingly forgotten Xaal with a smirk on his face. and his hood's shadow over his eyes.

knewsom
2007-08-19, 01:40 PM
At the mention of the drawer, the ultimate purpose for the quest re-established itself in the minds of those who had forgottten it (at least, for anyone who heard Meiphren)... as though triggered by it's mere mention. Jericho plays excellently, and many bar partrons gradually take notice throughout his performance. When he finishes his first song, a large number of people applaud, and the mood in the tavern lightetns, smiles cross a good many faces, and Lager notices that once Jericho delved into his second performance, a couple people even started dancing, and the halfling behind the bar stood with the large Illuskan watching and smiling as though it had been a good long time since the mood has been this good in here. Lager also notices that the Purple Dragon Knights in the room have kept a very wary eye on the half-orcs present, looking at them with an air of suspicious racial superiority, but also, it seemed, pity.

Foobar
2007-08-22, 08:12 PM
Lager

Lager finishes his ale and, with a satisfied sigh, nods to his companions before heading back to the bar. Holding up a single finger to the halfling, he waits for his second ale of the night. When she arrives with it, he smiles at her, dropping a coin on the bar. As she prepares to leave, he says to her,

The townfolk seem to be pretty down. Usually, J would have the entire tavern dancing a jig when he plays like this. Is there trouble we should know about?

He smells the ale appreciatively. With his initial thirst sated, he sips from his tankard, savoring it.

PolkaBear
2007-08-22, 11:09 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Lager's inquiry earned a slow appreciative nod from Meiphren. It seems he can handle people well when he's not insulting them. That was a smooth question. Maybe we'll learn what these soldiers are doing here. Is a mercenary band bivouac'ed nearby or something? They're awfully pretty compared to the mercs I've seen.

Toliudar
2007-08-23, 10:36 AM
Eberhart

The dwarf was content to let his brother do the talking. He split his time amongst listening with undisguised surprise and appreciation at how good the blowhard Jericho was at turning a tale, sipping appreciatively at the brew, and glancing appreciatively at the fine-looking halfling barmaid. In short, an evening full of appreciation for him.

Oh, right. The box. Funny, I should forget a thing like that. Maybe I should write it down or something...meh. In the morning.

He leans in close at Lager's question, ostensibly to hear the answer but really to find out if the barkeep was wearing perfume.

knewsom
2007-08-23, 11:05 AM
The hafling gave Lager a wry but sad look and a nod.

"You and your friends must really not be from around here. Either that or, no offense to you Mr. Dwarf, you musta been living under a rock not to know the troubles this land's been in as of late. I don't suppose we've ever really recovered from the time of troubles, when Orc armies swept through Cormyr... now there's thousands of them in the King's Forest... The Purple Dragon Knights are stretched thin just trying to protect travellers and towns... several of which have already been abandoned. Most of the folk here are passing through, trying to find a new home, or even just safety from the raids. Immersea is still relatively safe, but we dont' know for how long... So if the folk seem down, it's probably because their home was burnt to the ground and all their worldly possesions stolen by orcs."

1337_master
2007-08-23, 03:43 PM
orcs...eh? troublesome semi-kin. *sigh* sorry for your troubles...hey, is there anything We could do to solve the problem once and for all?

Toliudar
2007-08-24, 11:12 AM
Eberhart

At the barkeep's mention of orcs, Eberhart reaches instinctively for a mace before forcing himself to relax. The archer's words bring a snort to him.

Dwarves have been trying to find the final solution for orcs for a long time - 'bout as long as you elves. See if your bow is quick enough to deal with a whole army.

He jerks a thumb at Lager, and then himself, similing at the bartender.

He's Mr. Dwarf, I'm Eberhart. We'll be having another, if you don't mind, Miss...?

He slips a pair of gold pieces onto the bar.

knewsom
2007-08-25, 01:53 PM
The halfling shrugged.

"I think about all you can do is keep your own hide safe, but if you're the dedicated type, head down to Suzail and speak with a recruiter - the Puple Dragon Knights are always looking for more daring and grim people to kill for them..."

With a smile, she turned to Eberhart, taking his gold and pouring two more ales with ease.

"YOU hit the nail on the head, Mr. Eberhart... you've got remarkable manners for a dwarf, you know. The name's Melinda Thornbush, but everyone calls me Mellie."

Toliudar
2007-08-26, 02:45 AM
Eberhart

Passing one of the beers to his brother, Eberhart smiles broadly at the compliment.

Mellie - that's a very pretty name. And there's a lot about me that's remarkable. Just ask my - no, on second thought, don't. He's the jealous type, and would only slander me up and down, given the chance.

Not that orcs aren't bad enough, but you, uh, don't know if there was any talk of some non-orcy leaders or allies with the raiders?

Foobar
2007-08-27, 09:28 AM
Lager

A dark expression comes over Lager's face at Mellie's explanation.

Orcs. Why does it always have to be orcs? I hate orcs.

Smoothing out his face, Lager comments,

Why would I have to slander you? If I wait long enough, you'll do it to yourself.

Turning back to the halfling, he goes on,

Thank you for the information. I hope we get a chance to help deal with those vermin for you.

He strides back to his table, irritated, and mutters to his friends,

Orcs in the woods. Anyone else want to volunteer to help wipe those things out?

knewsom
2007-08-27, 01:02 PM
The halfling looks somewhat bemused at the Dwarves' antics and Eberhart's honey-coated words.

"Well, the last time we had this much trouble with Orcs, there was certainly some non-orc leadership involved... from what I hear it was very complex actually, and very dangerous for a great many adventurers who tried to get to the bottom of it. But that was then, and this is now... the Orcs don't seem to be attacking with any particular strategy or organization... their poor tactics means we can still fight them off even if we're outnumbered... it certainly wasn't that way last time... they practically rolled over the whole country."

Foobar
2007-08-29, 02:20 PM
Lager

After sipping his drink quietly for a few seconds, Lager returns to his feet. With a quick look at his companions, who did not seem as energized by the news of orcs as he was, he wandered over the the Purple Dragon Knights.

Gentleman, my name is Lager, and I was wondering if I might join you for a few moments. My companions and I are traveling through town, and I have heard there are orcs to deal with now. I was hoping you might share some information to help us travel more safely.

He pauses for a moment before adding with a grim smile

Or maybe where to go to be of some small assistance.

He does not whisper but does do his best not to attract too much attention from the other patrons of the travern.

PolkaBear
2007-08-29, 02:52 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren listened to the conversation around him, nodding happily to Jericho's music and still sipping his first ale.

Toliudar
2007-08-29, 04:43 PM
Eberhart

He watches his brother go over to join the knights. No surprise that he's eager to blunt his sword against more orc skulls. Huh. Not much profit in it, but it's not like that elf seemed like he was in SUCH a hurry for that key...thing...for the...box! That's right, the key for his box. Heh heh. Box.

Turning back to the barkeep, he smiles broadly and nods towards Lager and the Purple Dragons.

Yup, we're experienced fighting orcs. Might say, it kind of ran in the family. Of course, Lager's the real fighter. I'm more of a lover, myself.

He looks around at the inn before returning his gaze to Mellie.

Awfully brave of you, to be here in the middle of all this trouble. This your bar? It's very welcoming, a friendly place. Makes you feel at home as soon as you come through the door. And for a dwarf more used to stone tunnels than fireplaces, that's an accomplishment.

PolkaBear
2007-08-31, 01:20 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

"It's as welcoming and as friendly as your gold will stretch," the tiefling muttered into his mug.

"No fireplaces? 'Utsa matter, Eberhart, did they put the matches on the top shelf?" He smiled until he saw the glare that Mellie--who scarcely reached five feet herself--directed at him. His red eyes widened and he stuttered an apology, then stared down at the table embarrassed.

Toliudar
2007-09-01, 10:00 AM
Eberhart

The big man's words barely penetrated Eberhart's newfound feelings of goodwill.

Down below, Meiphren, fire's a precious thing, contained in forges, and heat for nurseries. Heat is life, but too much of it sucks the air from the tunnels and leaves you sluggish. So we dwarves get used to cold stone.

He turns back to Mellie, and turns on the high beam smile.

'Course, that also means that we come to prize a bit of warmth above near to all things. Gold's a beautiful thing, but without a warm and beautiful woman to wear it, it is only half of what it can be. Shape it into a lovely necklace, a hoop for the ear, and gold springs fully to life.

He glances back at the human, already with eyes downcast.

My guess is that your god teaches you the real value of money, yeah?

PolkaBear
2007-09-01, 12:44 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Hearing no offense in the dwarf's voice, Meiphren again raises his eyes and offers a sheepish grin. "Yeah--though it depends on who you ask. One of the priests cursed it, complaining all the time about rich people buying their freedom and corrupting fair judgment with bribes. The other priest took the attitude that when the scales of justice are out of balance, a hefty sum of gold on the weak side can restore equality."

knewsom
2007-09-01, 03:27 PM
The room hushes slightly as Lager addresses the Purple Dragon Knights. They put down their tankards and listen to his monologue and are all quiet for a brief moment before laughing heartily as a group.

"Help? From you, dwarf?" laughed a cocky looking stout blonde man.

"Heh, where were your kind last time we needed a hand?" Scoffed an older battle worn man as he turned back to his Ale.

One of them, a tall muscular human with long wavy black hair and thick stubble on his face who would be very handsome but for a nasty scar and a broken nose that leans to the left side of his face stood and approached closer, speaking to Lager and to reassure his comrades.

"Now now... I've fought beside a dwarf or two in my time... Small in stature perhaps, but not short on courage... Well, if it's safe traveling advice ye be wanting, the best I can say is to head East... stay far from the woods, and be wary of silence. When Orcs are near, the birds tend to disappear. The safest would be to book passage on a ship... head up the wyvern water for Arabel, or down river towards Suzail. Cormyr has never been the same since the time of troubles, and the power of the Orcs seems to be waxing. They're everywhere in the King's Forest... We have embattlements protecting what towns we can, but several within the forest have been lost... only here - Immersea, and Forest Gate just north of Suzail remain safe, mainly because they're important trade waypoints. If you wish to hire protection from the State, you may, but you'll have to apply via magical correspondance or in person with the Minister of Trade in Suzail... it seems he's the one in charge of our military more often than not these days, not the Commanders or the Lords of the Capital, as in the days of old..."

The man sighed.

"If ye want to be helping, stay out of our way, and don't get yourself killed. If you're hell bent on killing Orcs, dwarf, see commander Williams tomorrow at the barracks just west of town. There may be a trade convoy that could use protection or a group of refugees - we're stretched thin as it is just keeping the town safe, and many travelers fall prey to Orcs on the roads."

knewsom
2007-09-01, 03:33 PM
Millie gave Eberhart a sad smile.

"Where I'm from, the warmth of a hearth and the comfort of a nice sofa or armchair are the most cherished center of any home... We try to provide a small piece of comfort for our customers... these days, a warm fire and a strong mug of ale are the greatest comforts many can look forward to, so we'll be keepin' this place open about as long as we possibly can. Torvald and I have seen our fair share of travels and battle... it's nice to have a piece of home for a time, even if it WONT last forever. You're right about Gold... it's only good if you've got something good to DO with it... though I prefer good company and fine food to even the finest adornment."

Foobar
2007-09-04, 08:58 AM
Lager

Calmly looking at the two who spoke before the apparent leader, Lager comments,

If you reject help when it's offered, seems likely you'll end up needing it later. And being rude makes it less likely to be offered.

Turning back to the leader, Lager says,

Thanks for the advice. If I have my way, my companions and I will speak to Commander Williams tomorrow. If we get a chance, hopefully, we can ease your next battle a bit. Who shall I tell him sent us?

After hearing the answer, Lager returns to his group.

Lots of orcs to deal with. The guard there said that we could probably hook up with a caravan to protect going generally the same way we are. Strength in numbers, getting paid to kill orcs and travel where we want to go. What could be better than that? You all in?

PolkaBear
2007-09-04, 09:10 AM
Meiphren Dunapuros

"Sounds good to me." He chuckled. "Your brother was just telling me that the gold wouldn't motivate him. I guess I'll be noble, then, and unburden him of his share of the payment."

knewsom
2007-09-11, 02:05 PM
The knights scoffed at Lager's scolding, and turned back to their drinks. The dark haired man who was speaking to Lager shook his and and introduced himself as Seargent Read.

As Lager returned to the bar and his group, he noticed another man step to the bar and ask Millie the price for the remaining suite.

Toliudar
2007-09-11, 05:31 PM
Eberhart

Before the stranger appears, Eberhart continues to banter with Millie.

There is indeed nothin better in the world than good company with a warm chamber and a cold ale, although there is something extra special about a beautiful woman's face, set off by just the right earrings and necklace...

His smile vanishes at the approach of a stranger, and he examines the man coldly as he speaks with Millie.

Taking advantage of his position at the bar, Eberhart will look the man over carefully, partially to make sure he's not some disguised version of the crazy lurking elf from the forest. :smallwink: Search +7, Sense Motive +6, if that's helpful.

knewsom
2007-09-12, 09:42 AM
well, the man is rather short, middle aged, and has close-cropped blone hair, with a mustache. He notices the two dwarves giving him a hard look, and finishes paying millie nervously before leaving in a hurry. You don't seem to notice anything particularly odd about him, other than the fact that he's just rented the last room in the inn.

:smallamused:

knewsom
2007-09-12, 09:44 AM
Millie turned to Eberhart with a shrug and a smile.

"Well speaking of a warm chamber... I sure hope you all have a place to stay tonight, because that man just rented the last room in the inn, except for a couple bunks in the male dormitory."

PolkaBear
2007-09-12, 10:14 AM
Meiphren Dunapuros

"What about the common room here? We're not so uppity as to need a private room. Don't you rent out space on your floor for the night? Most places do."

knewsom
2007-09-15, 03:02 PM
"Like I said, we have a common male dormitory and a common female dormitory, as well as private rooms and the main hall. The main hall is sizeable, but we don't allow people to sleep here so we can maintain a cleanly and welcoming atmosphere. If you like, you can also rent space in the stables, which, seeing as there are only two beds left in the dormitory, you'll probably have to do."

PolkaBear
2007-09-17, 08:54 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren sighed. "Well, we'll need space for all of us. Perhaps the Dirt Brothers can share a bunk. How much for the dormitory? I'll take one of those."

Foobar
2007-09-17, 08:55 PM
Lager

Noticing the consternation of his companions, Lager wanders back up to the bar. After hearing the issue, Lager grunts, looking annoyed.

Guess we'll take lodging in the stables so we can stay together. If there's still room there. But I get the spot farthest from the mule. Speaking of that, I think I might be ready for bed. Or hay, I guess.

He mutters to himself before finishing his ale.

PolkaBear
2007-09-17, 08:57 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Hearing Lager mention something about the stables behind him, Meiphren turned. "You want to sleep in those pasture pastries? Be my guest. I'll take the dorm. There's one bunk left: who wants it?"

knewsom
2007-09-21, 11:57 AM
Millie sighed.

"Our stable boy keeps the stables VERY clean, thank you, and last I checked, it was only half full with animals, so there should be plenty of room for you. It WILL smell like horses though, no ammount of scrubbing can fix that. 5 gold for the Dorm, and 1 apiece for the stable."

Toliudar
2007-09-21, 02:19 PM
Eberhart

Eberhart speaks loudly enough for Millie to hear as well.

Meiphros, why don't you and singer-boy take the two last bunks. Lager, if you want to take the stables, go ahead. If I don't think of anywhere else by closing time, I can always join you. I'm a bit worried about your snoring keeping the horses awake, but I suppose that if we dump enough straw on you, it'll deaden the noise.

Foobar
2007-09-24, 11:01 AM
Lager

Muttering audibly, Lager responds,

At least my night noises come out of the mouth end.

He pays Millie for lodging in the stable, finishes his drink, and heads out to the stable for the night.

Unless anyone has anything to accomplish, may I suggest that we move along?

PolkaBear
2007-09-24, 11:35 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren flinched when Millie stated the price for the dorm; but he handed over the gold nonetheless.

Toliudar
2007-09-25, 12:44 AM
Eberhart

Eberhart cheerfully bids a good night to the others, and spends the rest of the evening making himself useful around the inn - busing tables, fixing things that are broken, chatting with Millie.

If by the end of the evening, she's made it clear that he's NOT spending the night with her, Eberhart will try to be good-natured about buying lodging in the stables. And if she is willing, well...gentlemen don't kiss and tell, do they?

knewsom
2007-09-25, 10:32 AM
Eberhart manages to fix a broken stool and stop a wobbly table from wobbling. Mellie watches him as he busies himself, shaking her head slightly, but smiling slightly to herself. Once the patrons have turned in and Torvald has passed out drunk on the bar, Mellie smiled and said a thank you to Eberhart before giving him a soft kiss on the cheek and smiling.

"You've earned yer room and board, Eberhart, that's on the house. Next time you're in town, I think perhaps you'll have eh, better lodging, if you catch my drift?"

Toliudar
2007-09-25, 12:09 PM
Eberhart

Taking her hand with all the softness the dwarf can manage, he nods sombrely, and smiles.

That'd be worth a long side trip, Mellie. You're a brave and kind lady, and I wish you safe and happy times ahead, here. It's a good place you've made, a sanctuary. I look forward to coming back.

He starts to go off to the stables, realizes that he hasn't actually let go of her hand, and reluctantly releases it.

Shambling to the stables with as much quiet as he can manage, he plunks down beside his brother. He murmurs, just before rolling over to sleep:

Like I always say, dear brother, good things come in small packages. What a woman!

Foobar
2007-09-25, 03:53 PM
Lager

Lager stirs slightly when Eberhart comes in. He rolls over on his back, his head lolling at an odd angle, and starts to snore loudly. The mule rolls its eyes.

knewsom
2007-10-01, 03:49 PM
The night passes uneventfully, and you awake feeling refreshed, and smelling only SLIGHTLY of horse manure. I'll need a willpower saving throw from each of you to remember what the key is for.

Also, you awake to discover that Jericho and Xaaltruya are nowhere to be found, and you assume that after such a fine night of music and ale, perhaps a lass took one of them into her bed, and perhaps the other never managed to stumble the entire way to the stable.

Toliudar
2007-10-02, 02:52 PM
Eberhart

Oh boy, will saves! Any rogue's favourite.

[roll0]

I'm assuming that we should treat the two's disappearance as matter-of-fact defections?

Eberhart also begins the process of working the kinks out of his armour, so to speak. Glancing around at the fact that he now has only two companions, the dwarf grimaces.

Lucky bas'ards. Ah well. They know their own hearts, and make their own choices. And who knows? A pie split three ways stead of five tastes even sweeter.

Booting his brother gently in the rear, Eberhart leans over.

C'mon, ya wuss. I close the place down, and you're the one bricking it this morning? None of that. Long walk ahead of us, and it ain't getting any shorter.

Picking the straw from his clothes, Eberhart stumbles into the inn for breakfast.

PolkaBear
2007-10-02, 03:01 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren roused himself and looked to drag his companion out of bed. Unfortunately, Jericho was nowhere to be found.

"Hey!" he called out to those who were still slumbering in the dorm. "Any of you seen the singer from last night?" He received curses for a reply.

Toliudar
2007-10-02, 04:16 PM
Eberhart

[assuming that Eberhart's still around to hear that because, well, it's more fun.]

Pausing on his way out of the stables, Eberhart furrows his brow.

No, was she cute?

Oh, you mean Jericho? Nah. No idea where he went.

Foobar
2007-10-03, 09:05 AM
Lager

Picking hay out of his beard, Lager staggers after his brother into the inn. Looking around, he yawns loudly,

Where are the others? We should get going.

knewsom
2007-10-03, 07:46 PM
Nobody seems to have seen Jericho since last night - he had stepped out for fresh air and hasn't been seen since. Xaaltruya is in about the same boat, he went to the privy and never came back. Perhaps they were waylaid by thugs, perhaps they chickened out on the goal after finding out just how difficult it was going to be.

As the three of you met up again in the main hall, Millie smiled a good morning to Eberhart, and you noticed a good many people eating flapjacks for breakfast, and one or two trying to guzzle down a vile looking concoction in a tall glass.

"Mornin' you three. Any of ya want some breakfast? We've got the regular, or the special. If you can keep down the special, it's on the house, but if you can't, it's 5 gold. Torvald's a big fan."

Toliudar
2007-10-03, 09:05 PM
Eberhart

Pondering their two absent companions and the dubiously remembered object of their mission, Eberhart muses aloud.

Well, if they aren't here by the end of breakfast, maybe Lager could have a look around the inn, try to spot any weird tracks. What if our friend the crazy elf has been stalking us after all?

Bigger on enthusiasm than forethought, Eberhart eagerly steps up to Millie.

I've fought a troglodyte and eaten Lager's famous stews. How bad can the special be? Serve em up.

Anticipating the need for a Fortitude check:

[roll0]

Edit: I'm seeing a 5 gold piece bill in my future.

knewsom
2007-10-03, 11:51 PM
The beautiful (though slightly bag-eyed this morning) halfling grins and shouts to the cook in the back.

"Hey Torvald! Eberhart here says he wants the special!"

The hairy Illuskan pokes his head out and eyes the group with a laugh.

"The special! HAH, It's what I have for breakfast every day - it'll put hair on yer chest, and muscles on your back!"

The burly man reached down and picked up a tall glass that was half-full of a milky-brown liquid. He downed it's contents with a single gulp, followed by a smile.

"Aaaah. Milk, raw beef liver, barley-wine, and six raw eggs. Like the lady said - if you can keep it down, it's on the house. You spew, and it'll be five gold."

A couple nearby purple dragon knights laughed at the Illuskan's challenge to the dwarf, and one of them raised a similar looking glass to him before downing the contents and looking fairly ill, but still not puking, much to his companion's amusement.

"At a boy, Cedrik, keep 'er down, now!"

The halfling smiled and looked at Meiphren and Lager.

"Regular brek's just two gold, fellas. So what'll it be for yas?"

While Mellie waited for their response, Torvald walked out of the back with another big tall glass, placing it in front of Eberhart with a grin. The dwarf's stomach groaned when the scent of it first hit his nostrils.

"Drink up lad, it'll do ye well."

and yeah, that fortitude save was a fail, sorry.

PolkaBear
2007-10-03, 11:59 PM
Tokugal Ardolin

Tokugal looked askance at the brew. "Any particular benefit to it? Besides giving the cook a laugh as the sludge makes a mockery of grown men, that is."

Foobar
2007-10-04, 07:48 AM
Lager

Lager looks at Eberhart with amusement.

You're giving us dwarves a bad name there. Here, give me the special.

Grabbing the glass, he chugs it down.

I'm off to take a look around. If there is a problem, I don't want to wait until all the signs are walked on. If there isn't, I'll look like an idiot, but I've always wanted to know what Eberhart feels like, so that's ok.

Pausing, he asks, pretending (badly) to be casual,

So, those orcs still around or did they leave early?

Not really waiting for an answer, he heads out to search for his friends.

Going to look around the outside of the inn for signs first, as they are more likely to get disturbed, and then come back inside. Search rolls in OOC.

Should note that I'm assuming my Fort check was at least good enough to get outside before spewing.

knewsom
2007-10-04, 11:49 AM
The burly red-haired Illuskan laughed heartily.

"Nicely done! Aye lad, as I told yer mate here - hair on yer chest, muscles on yer back."

PolkaBear
2007-10-04, 01:37 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

Meiphren nodded. Although his mind revolted at the recipe the Illuskan recited, something feral in his nature caused him to salivate at the thought of raw meat.

"Feh, why not? Sure, pour me a shot of the stuff."

knewsom
2007-10-05, 02:02 PM
Torvald went back into the kitchen and moments later placed another tall glass on the window. Mellie grabbed it and put it in front of Meiphren.

"Good luck, kiddo. Whaddaya say Eberhart, a plate of flapjacks then?"

Lager didn't find much when looking for his missing allies inside the inn either... most everything was well cleaned up already, Mellie must have gotten up quite early to tend to the place.

Toliudar
2007-10-06, 03:07 PM
Eberhart

Weakly, the dwarf sits down at a chair, bracing the universe with both hands. He manages a slight shake of his head at Mellie's kind offer.

No! No more...food...right now...thanks...beautiful.

After a few minutes, when the barrier between what was and wasn't Eberhart had re-established itself, the dwarf laid coins down on the table and headed outside for some fresh air. Finding Lager examining the ground, he stepped carefully over, and spoke as softly as if his life depended on it.

Any sign of either of em? If not, do we keep going for the key, or go looking for Jericho and Xaal. Guess we don't owe them anything, but I'm worried that something might be stalking us.

Foobar
2007-10-08, 10:29 AM
Lager

Without looking up, Lager replies

No need to decide that yet. While you were busy flirting unsuccessfully (and nice job puking in front of her -- very smooth), I found out that we can probably hook up with a merchant train traveling in the general direction we want to go. We can go talk to them today. I doubt they'll be ready to leave immediately, so we probably have some time to poke around or give them a chance to show up. What do you think?

Toliudar
2007-10-08, 11:45 AM
Eberhart

As a gentleman does not speak of his dealings with ladies of quality, Eberhart dignifies his brother's comments about his courtship with nothing more than a stony look, but nods at his other ideas.

Good, good. That way, we've got more company on the road, and less chance that we'll get separated any more. After all, we gotta remember that we're after that...key...thing.

He joins his brother in examining the ground.

[roll0] Searching the exterior.

knewsom
2007-10-08, 12:24 PM
Searching the ground, Eberhart finds about the same things as his brother, and not much to go on, really. This area is simply too heavily trafficked to track any one person.

Shall I assume that the three of you decide to head towards the Purple Dragon barracks just west of town?

Toliudar
2007-10-08, 12:35 PM
Shall I assume that the three of you decide to head towards the Purple Dragon barracks just west of town?

Sounds good to me. Eberhart will certainly be interested in looking around there too, but is happy to let the other two do the talking - my posting may be spotty for the next few days.

Foobar
2007-10-08, 04:11 PM
That's certainly my plan, if no one objects. That's where head Purple Dragon dude suggested we go, right?

PolkaBear
2007-10-10, 09:36 AM
Meiphren Dunapuros

I'm down wit dat.

knewsom
2007-10-11, 01:57 AM
The three of you head Westwards out of town, still confused by the dissapearance of your companions, but steeled by the thought of making a little extra coin while continuing your journey to find the key to... well, to find the key to SOMETHING important, or at least Ulryn certainly seemed to give you the impression that it was important. Come to think of it, you're not sure if even the aged elf knew why it was so damned important, maybe your companions forgot that the whole endeavor was important and wandered off to find their own way, but one never knows until many years later when as oft as not folks wind their way back into your lives, hopefully with as much whisky to share as stories.

The barracks were nearly deserted by the time you got there, but there were plenty of men up and about, most wearing chainmail or plate armor, all wearing the insignia of the widley respected (feared?) Purple Dragon Knights. A younger man with a nose that looked a bit too large for his face and hazel eyes stopped you as you approached and asked your business in a matter of fact though certainly not rude tone of voice.

PolkaBear
2007-10-11, 05:24 PM
Meiphren Dunapuros

"Yeah. We heard that here's where we pick up some work. We're headed out of town, and thought we might as well make some coin as guards. Anyone leaving today in need of protection? It wouldn't be reasonable to expect you purple guys to do everything."

knewsom
2007-10-12, 11:18 AM
The youth nodded, his face revealing no emotion.

"You'll want to talk to Captain Williams, last I saw, he was atop the ebattlements by the gate, just over there."

Sure enough, if you follow the direction he points, you see some embattlements and a long timber wall not far from the forest, stretching quite a ways into the distance. Atop the embattlements by the gate is a tall blonde man with a regal looking purple cape who looks to be giving orders.

Foobar
2007-10-13, 10:20 PM
Lager

Lager nods his thanks to the man who helped them and walks with the other two up toward the Captain. He repeats what Meiphren had said and waits to see what options the Captain has for them.

On vacation. Doing the best I can to get some time to access. I should be able to post daily, but they may be kind of short.