PDA

View Full Version : [PrC]Keeper of the Code (PEACH)

Pink
2007-06-05, 11:03 AM
Well, with all the other Pirates of the Caribbean Home brewing stuff going on, and since the boards were down yesterday, I decided to whip up something that the latest movie had inspired me to make. Therefore I present the Keeper of the Code, the law amongst outlaws. Please comment on whether you like it or if anything seems amiss.

note: A special thanks to Ocato for help in the talking out and brainstorming of this class.

"I say, hang the code!"
-Last words of a pirate before being shot by Keeper of the Code, Captain Teague

A Keeper of the Code is a person who finds the greatest bond and divine power in the code of honor that is set by thieves themselves. Though they may consort with the lowest of lives and those who do disobey the laws of the lands, the only law they cherish is that of the Outlaw, be it Pirate Bandit or Mob. They are the ones that memorize the code line by line and are charged with the task of making sure it is followed. So great is their loyalty to uphold this law that they find themselves granted with great strength to bring down those that would choose to flaunt it. They are the apprehender of those that break the code, as well as the judge of these misdeeds, and quite often the executioner as well.

Many Keepers of the Code start out either as rogues or swashbucklers who are part of a criminal organization however still maintain an amount of lawfulness in them and are drawn to the idea of a law that governs thieves and cutthroats. Other Keepers may be Bards that find themselves entranced by the idea of honor among thieves, as well as the cryptic and legendary manners in which they've been set down through the ages. A very small and the rarest of Keepers might be Paladins, perhaps either representing deities of thievery or those that consider true evil to be that which cannot be tolerated by the thieves.

Prerequisites:
Alignment: Nonchaotic
BAB: +4
Skills: Diplomacy 8 ranks, Sense Motive 8 ranks, Decipher Script 4 ranks
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Negotiator OR Investigator

HD: d8

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Bluff(Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script(Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information(Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand(Dex) Speak Language (N/A), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex), Use Rope (Dex)

Skill Points at each additional level
6 + Int modifier

Keeper of the Code
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Pirate Code, Urban Tracking

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Smite Chaos 1/day

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Talisman +1 1/day

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|Smite Chaos 2/day

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|Sneak Attack +1d6

6th|
+6|
+2|
+5|
+5|Smite Chaos 3/day

7th|
+7|
+2|
+5|
+5|Talisman +2 2/day

8th|
+8|
+2|
+6|
+6|Smite Chaos 4/day

9th|
+9|
+3|
+6|
+6|Talisman +3 3/day

10th|
+10|
+3|
+7|
+7|Smite Chaos 5/day, Sneak Attack +2d6[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Keepers of the Code gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Pirate Code:
The Keeper of the Code's alignment changes to lawful as she pledges to uphold the code. However she is still able to advance classes with a requirement of nonlawful due to the dubious nature of the law she upholds. The Code itself can vary depending on which organization the Keeper belongs to (Pirates, Bandits, Mafia) and is up to the discression of the DM as to what it contains. Some features that may be on the code could be:

Parley: If an opponent drops their weapon and falls prone voluntarily and utters "Parley" a Keeper is bound to not harm them until an attempt at peaceful diplomacy or negotiation is attempted.

The Captain's cut: A Keeper of the Code must give a tribute of 10% of all the loose coin she gains possession of during her exploits.

A Keeper who knowingly violates the code looses her Smite attempts for the rest of the day as well as her talisman uses. A keeper who repeatedly or grossly violates her Code may become and Ex-Keeper of the Code (see below)

Urban Tracking(Ex): A Keeper of the Code gains Urban Tracking as a bonus feat.

Smite Chaos(Su):
At level 2, a Keeper of the Code may attempt to smite chaos with a normal attack. She adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per Keeper level. If the keeper accidentally smites a creature that is not chaotic, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day.

At 4th level and every two levels thereafter, the Keeper may smite chaos one additional time per day to a maximum of five times per day at 10th level.

Talisman:
For their efforts in maintaining the Code, a Keeper of the Code is gifted with a lucky Talisman.

At level 3, a Keeper of the Code can use an instantaneous action once a day to add a +1 luck bonus to Saving rolls or AC. This action must be taken before the saving roll or the attack roll is revealed. This bonus increases to +2 at level 7 and +3 at level 3 and gains an additional use at level 7 and again at level 3. The talisman must be visible to be used in this way. Also, any member or former member of a keeper's organization who sees a Keeper wearing their talisman must make a will save (DC 10 + keeper level) or become frightened for a number of rounds equal to the Keepers Class level.

When the talisman is visible it also grants a +2 diplomacy check with other members of a keeper's organization, as well as a -5 penalty on disguise checks. This effect stays in effect even if the other effects of the talisman are lost do to breaking the code.

Sneak Attack:
At level 5, if a Keeper of the Code can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The Keeper’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the Keeper flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 5th level, and it increases by 1d6 at level 10. Should the Keeper score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a Keeper can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty.

A Keeper can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies-undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The Keeper must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A Keeper cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Ex-Keepers of the Code:
A Keeper of the Code who ceases to be lawful or who grossly violates the code loses the ability to smite chaos as well as the supernatural abilities of her Talisman. She may not progress any farther in levels as a Keeper of the Code. She regains her abilities and advancement potential if she atones for her violations (see the atonement spell description), as appropriate.

In addition, if a Keeper is kicked out of her organization or leaves her organization, she must join a new organization within a set period of time or lose her ability to smite chaos and the supernatural abilities of her talisman(The diplomacy bonus of the talisman and the Frightening effect of it are lost instantly as the Keeper no longer belongs to an organization). If a Keeper leaves of her own will she may have a month to find a new organization before she can no longer access her abilities. If a keeper is banished from an organization, she only has a week to find a new organization. She may not progress any farther in levels as a Keeper of the Code until she has been accepted into a new illegal organization.

Upon being accepted a Keeper must spend a week learning the new code as well as becoming acquainted with the other members in order to keep her abilities. This time does not count against the set allotment of time however it must be a continuous week.

EvilElitest
2007-06-05, 11:27 AM
The codes seems like it could be easlity abused, I'd surrgest explaining it?

And aren't the codes more like guidelines

And was their a real pirates code out there?
from,
EE

Pink
2007-06-05, 11:33 AM
Code is one thing I'm trying to work on, but basically, depending on what organization (and therefore what is allowed or created by the DM) It could change. For example, you wouldn't have Parley in a Mob, You might have something like "Don't be a Squealer". Basically the point of it is that it can be constructed by the DM in such a way to balance the class yet isn't quite as constrictive or honorable as a paladin's or Knight's code.

as for whether the Code is guidelines, That may be the thought of the casual member, but to a keeper, "The Code is everything." Or whatever the correct quote is. I need to see that movie again.

Edit: i also feel I should mention that this law is also what generally governs other organization members and those that break it grossly or often are subject to have the Keeper hunt them down.

EvilElitest
2007-06-05, 02:30 PM
Code is one thing I'm trying to work on, but basically, depending on what organization (and therefore what is allowed or created by the DM) It could change. For example, you wouldn't have Parley in a Mob, You might have something like "Don't be a Squealer". Basically the point of it is that it can be constructed by the DM in such a way to balance the class yet isn't quite as constrictive or honorable as a paladin's or Knight's code.

as for whether the Code is guidelines, That may be the thought of the casual member, but to a keeper, "The Code is everything." Or whatever the correct quote is. I need to see that movie again.

Edit: i also feel I should mention that this law is also what generally governs other organization members and those that break it grossly or often are subject to have the Keeper hunt them down.

I think Parely in the mob would just mean don't kill them until you higher up says for you to. The mob is often very careful not to kill people who's deaths would cause them trouble

Not that i would know that ahem....
from,
EE