PDA

View Full Version : Radiation Damage

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-05, 12:44 PM
Does anyone know if there is any official d20 Modern/Future rules for radiation damage?

Ran across a creature I wrote up long, long ago thats radioactive and was going to shine it up a bit before posting.

the_tick_rules
2007-06-05, 12:52 PM
as far as i'm aware there is no rules for radiation. But you could rule it does like 1d6 damage per round, minute, or however strong you want the radiation exposureto be. 1d6 a minute would be ok for moderate exposure, 1d6 a round for like an exposed reactor and throw in a fortitiude save against con damage or something. but i'm not as up on modern as a lot of people.

Starsinger
2007-06-05, 12:53 PM
I believe radiation is either fire or acid type damage, atleast that's what I think I remember from the time I flipped through d20 Apocalypse. Although, possibly, it might be its own damage type.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-06-05, 12:53 PM
The rules for radiation exposure/effects are found in the 'Environment' section of the d20 Future SRD.

Relevant link: Modern SRD - Radiation (http://ca.geocities.com/spike_fightwicky/d20modernsrd/futureenv.html#radiation)

Or page 80-81 of the d20 Future sourcebook.

It's treated like a disease, with damage based on the length of time spent near a radiation source/irradiated area as well as the level of radiation. The link/page has the specific numbers in an easy to read table.

Aximili
2007-06-05, 05:55 PM
Radiation doesn't really deal immediate damage unless it's intense enough to burn. In which case, it would be fire damage.

kialos
2007-06-05, 05:58 PM
Look it up on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_poisoning), High enough radation In real life can kill almost instantly, or it waits misterously for about 14 days and then you die.

I don't know the rules, but I'd wager they'd be special for that kinda thing

Yuki Akuma
2007-06-05, 06:02 PM
Yes, there are official rules. No, it does not deal fire or acid damage. It's in D20 Future, although I can't remember the page... Possibly in the section dealing with vacuum exposure.

Dhavaer
2007-06-05, 06:10 PM
It's also in Urban Arcana, with the Nuclear Toxyderm. That thing is like the Tarrasque of Modern. Huge and tough, but not as bad as it seems. Just make sure everyone has evasion or something to survive the death throes.

artaxerxes
2007-06-05, 07:06 PM
The D20 Modern Web Supplement has full rules for Radiation Exposure.

Radiation Sickness
When characters are exposed to radiation, they may be afflicted with radiation sickness. Radiation sickness functions exactly like exposure to any other disease, following the normal rules for diseases (Chapter 7). The Fortitude save necessary and the effects of radiation sickness vary with the dose of radiation to which the character is exposed.

Radiation exposure varies by degree, from mild to low, moderate, high, and severe. To determine the degree of exposure, start with the type of exposure: either an irradiated area (such as the area near where a nuclear explosion has occurred, or a lab that has been flooded with radioactive gas), or a specific source of radiation (such as a lump of radioactive material). Use the total time of exposure within a given 24-hour period, rounding up. For example, say a character is involved in a lab accident. He has to run into the lab (and hence be exposed to the radioactive materials) four times to evacuate unconscious colleagues. Each trip takes 3 rounds; the character is exposed to the radiation source for a total of 12 rounds. This counts as a 10-minute exposure, since 12 rounds is more than 1 minute.

RADIATION EXPOSURE

Situation 1 rd 1 min 10 min 1 hr 1 day
Character in irradiated area:
Lightly irradiated mild mild mild mild mild
Moderately irradiated mild mild low low low
Highly irradiated low low mod. mod. mod.
Severely irradiated mod. mod. high high severe

Character exposed to radiation source:
Mildly radioactive materials mild mild low low low
Highly radioactive materials mod. mod. high high severe
Severely radioactive materials mod. high severe severe severe

The degree of the exposure determines the severity of the radiation sickness, as indicated on the following
table.

RADIATION SICKNESS
Degree of Exposure Fort DC Damage
Mild 12 1d4–2* Con
Low 15 1d6–2* Con
Moderate 18 1d6–1* Con
High 21 1d6 Con
Severe 24 2d6 Con
• Minimum damage 0 Con

At low levels, radiation sickness is a slow disease. Often, a sick character suffers no severe effects. This is reflected in the fact that even with a failed Fortitude save, the character might not suffer any Constitution loss. In highly radioactive environments (such as a post apocalyptic setting), a character might be exposed to radiation while already suffering from sickness. If the degree of exposure exceeds the exposure that caused the initial sickness, the character suffers radiation sickness at the increased severity. Otherwise, it does not change. For example, a character who has been exposed to a low dose of radiation does not get any sicker if she is later exposed to another mild or low dose. If she is exposed to a moderate or higher dose, however, her sickness becomes more severe.