PDA

View Full Version : Deadeye (Prestige Class)

BOC2
2007-06-05, 01:23 PM
Deadeye
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Sneak Attack+1d6, Deadly Accuracy, Pinpoint Strike

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Improved Critical

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Sneak Attack +2d6

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Snipe

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Sneak Attack+3d6, Stealthy Shot, Greater Pinpoint Shot [/table]

Deadeyes are the elite snipers of any adventuring party or military corps. They have trained since a young age to be deadly accurate in every one of their shots, and are skilled in taking the target down in one shot. The twang of a Deadeye's bowstring spells almost certain death for the target, as the Deadeye does not miss.

Requirements

To qualify to become a Deadeye, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment: Any
Skills: Concentration 5 ranks, Spot 3 ranks, Move Silently 4 Ranks
Feats: Weapon Focus (Longbow) OR Weapon Focus (Crossbow)
Other: Improved Combat Style (archery)

Class Skills
The Deadeye's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Tumble (Dex). See Chapter 4 of the Player's Handbook for skill descriptions.
Skill Points at Each Level: 4+Int Modifier

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Deadeyes gain no weapon or armor proficiencies.

Sneak Attack (Ex): When he reaches first, third, and fifth level, a deadeye deals additional sneak attack damage, as the rogue ability. If the deadeye gets a sneak attack bonus from another source (such as rogue levels), the bonuses to damage stack.

Deadly Accuracy: As a Full-Round Action, a Deadeye may make a concentration check and add 1/4 of the result (max 5) to your attack roll against any enemy.

Pinpoint Strike: Thanks to a deadeye's skill at striking true, even from long distances, she is able to Sneak Attack at a range equal to half of her first range increment.

Improved Critical: At 2nd level, a deadeye gains Improved Critical with either a longbow or crossbow as a bonus feat.

Snipe: At 3rd level, any longbow or composite longbow wielded by the deadeye has its first range incriment doubled.

Greater Pinpoint StrikeAt 4th level, the deadeye is so skilled at deadly strikes that she is able to make a Sneak Attack anywhere within her first range increment.

Stealthy Shot: At 5th level, as a Full-Round Action, the deadeye may make a Sneak Attack against one target, even if the target is not flat-footed. This ability cannot effect creatures who are immune to sneak attacks.

Just a little something I thought of yesterday. It's my first prestige class that I've ever written up. What do you guys think?

Kyace
2007-06-05, 04:47 PM
Requirements

To qualify to become a Deadeye, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment: Any
Skills: Concentration 5 ranks, Spot 3 ranks, Move Silently 4 Ranks
Feats: Weapon Focus (longbow or Composite Longbow)For the perpuse of feats, a longbow and a composite longbow are the same weapons.

Other: Improved Combat Style (archery)

Class Skills
The Deadeye's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Tumble (Dex). See Chapter 4 of the Player's Handbook for skill descriptions.
Skill Points at Each Level: 4+Int Modifier
You might consider giving them climb as a class skill too.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Deadeyes are proficient with all simple weapons, longbows, and composite longbows. They are proficient with light armor but not any type of shield.
Anyone coming into this class is already proficient with longbows, as a requirement of Weapon Focus. Prestige Classes, unlike base classes, don't have to grant proficiencies with weapons upon entering, it is perfectly ok to say that it grants no new proficiencies.

Spells per day/Spells Known: Whenever an even-numbered level in the prestige class is gained, the Deadeye gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class in which she could cast divine spells before she added the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one divine spellcasting class in which she could cast divine spells before she became a deadeye, she must decide to which class she adds each level of entropomancer for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.
Despite being built for rangers, the prestige class has no requirement for being able to cast divine spells for entering. Also, rangers are already half-casters so taking 5 levels of perstige class basically only improves a Ranger's caster level by 1.

Deadly Accuracy: As a Full-Round Action, a Deadeye may make a concentration check and add 1/4 of the result (max 5) to your attack roll against any enemy.

Does this attack roll bonus only apply to the next attack or to all attacks?

Improved Critical: At 2nd level, a deadeye gains Improved Critical with either a longbow or composite longbow as a bonus feat.
For the purpose of feats, a composite long is a longbow.

Stealthy Shot: At 5th level, as a Full-Round Action, the deadeye may make a Sneak Attack for full damage, regardless of the circumstances of the attack.

Define full damage. Are all 1d6 from the sneak attack taken to roll as 6's? Is the damage the bow would normally deal maximized? Is the damage the bow would normally deal taken to roll a critical and then maximized? Does the "regardless of circumstances" mean a Deadeye may apply this Stealthy Shot against foes which normally cannot be sneak attacked? Or even when the Deadeye wouldn't normallly make a sneak attack due to the target not being flat footed?

BOC2
2007-06-05, 05:17 PM
:smalleek: Wow. You sytematically decimated my pristige class... Thanks a ton. And if that sounds sarcastic, it's not. I'm seriously thanking you. Now I can fix it! :smallbiggrin: I was just a tad suprised at how terrible it was... Oh, well! I can fix that! *goes to fix*

EDIT

Well, that should do it. I fixed the nitpicky things, got rid of the spellcasting altogether, and fixed the description on Stealthy Shot. I think I may give him something to replace the spellcasting, though... But first I need to think of it.

DracoDei
2007-06-05, 05:35 PM
This lacks the one thing that I would think really makes a good sniper class: The ability to deal large amounts of damage at long-ish ranges. Sneak attack and an assassians Death Attack only work within 30'... Deepwood Sniper is the only class I know of that really fits this mold. Maybe make it so they extend the maximium range that sneak attacks can function at by 10' per class level.

BOC2
2007-06-05, 05:45 PM
Oops, lol, I forgot about the range limit on Sneak Attacks. Thanks for reminding me about that... :smallsmile: *goes to fix again*

Kyace
2007-06-05, 05:49 PM
:smalleek: Wow. You sytematically decimated my pristige class... Thanks a ton. And if that sounds sarcastic, it's not. I'm seriously thanking you. Now I can fix it! :smallbiggrin: I was just a tad suprised at how terrible it was... Oh, well! I can fix that! *goes to fix*
Your prestige class isn't terrible, there are just some points could use expanding and explaining. The longbow/composite longbow qualifing as the same weapon for feats is a minor thing easy to miss it in the PHB/SRD. Everything else was just me being nit-picky about format.

Deadly Accuracy is a neat class feature, I don't think I've seen anything like it, yet it does make quite a bit of sense. Since the class already requires ranks in concentration to enter, I am glad that you put those ranks to use. The idea of a sniper taking their time to line up a perfect shot fits the archetype well.

About the spellcasting advancement, you might consider giving full spellcasting advancement but only to rangers. It seems to me that you intended this to be a ranger heavy class anyway, so you don't have to leave the divine spellcaster advancement vague.

Sorry if you felt I was too rough, I do think you have to making of a very good prestige class here.

BOC2
2007-06-05, 05:52 PM
@Kayce-

No, no, you weren't too harsh at all! I like harsh, that makes me feel like I have to work to make it better! And as for the spellcasting, I always thought of this as a ranger that focused all of her skill into striking at range, so I think I'm just going to leave the spellcasting out. It's almost like a variant ranger, I guess...

Also, I decided to give it a new ability: Pinpoint Accuracy. I think that more than makes up for the loss of spellcasting, don't you think?

DracoDei
2007-06-05, 06:10 PM
Bump "Greater Pinpoint Accuracy" to 5th level or maybe move "Snipe" to 5th as it currently stands you are quadrupaling the range at which they can sneak attack in one level.

BOC2
2007-06-05, 06:13 PM
Good point... I didn't even think about that. Hehe. Thanks.

ObsidianRose
2007-06-05, 06:52 PM
This class could be easily adapted for crossbows, especially if someone made a crossbow Weapon Style for the ranger. Anyways, it just seems more suited for the one dude on a hill with his Great Crossbow levelled than it is for the longbow archer. The crossbow is just more sniperish, y'know? But I like the whole range increases on sneak attack. Good work.

BOC2
2007-06-05, 07:54 PM
I suppose the crossbow would work, huh? I might have to say something about that in there... Maybe it could vary what ranged wep you used, but you'd have to stick with one of them. Yup, that seems right.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-06-05, 08:07 PM
I like the originality of Deadly Accuracy. I have a suggestion. What about an ability that increases the max added to Deadly Accuracy to 10? But It may have to replace another ability, and all the abilites look great to me.

BOC2
2007-06-05, 08:49 PM
That does sound interesting, but you're right. That would be a bit overpowering. I don't want to mess it up if it's good right now... I might implement it in the future, I suppose. Thanks for your imput!