PDA

View Full Version : Question on Warblade

Greyen
2007-06-05, 01:27 PM
OK, I just got ToB after a few weeks of debating over what book to buy next. I have a question on the Warblade though.

The Weapon Aptitude explanation says that you can adjust weapon specific feats with one hour of practice with the new weapon. Does this include the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency?

If it does, then the Warblade is the master of all weapons!

Kolvin
2007-06-05, 01:33 PM
You still need to be proficient with the weapon in order to attune yourself to it. So no they don't gain proficiency in all melee weapons.

Attilargh
2007-06-05, 01:34 PM
We-e-ell, I would rule it that way, yes. Exotic Weapon Proficiency certainly is a weapon-specific feat.

You still need to be proficient with the weapon in order to attune yourself to it. So no they don't gain proficiency in all melee weapons.
I think you're reading a wrong rule, as Weapon Aptitude makes no mention of weapon proficiencies.

Weapon Aptitude (Ex): Your training with a wide range of weaponry and tactics gives you great skill with particular weapons. You qualify for feats that usually require a minimum number of fighter levels (such as Weapon Specialization) as if you had a fighter level equal to your warblade level -2. For example, as a 6th-level warblade, you could take Weapon Specialization, since you're treated as being a 4th-level fighter for this purpose. These effective fighter levels stack with any actual fighter levels you have. Thus, a fighter 2/warblade 4 would also qualify for Weapon Specialization.

You also have the flexibility to adjust your weapon training. Each morning, you can spend 1 hour in weapon practice to change the designated weapon for any feat you have that applies only to a single weapon (such as Weapon Focus). You must have the newly designated weapon available during your practice session to make this change. For example, if you wish to change the designated weapon for your Weapon Focus feat from greatsword to longsword, you must have a longsword available to practice with during your practice session.

You can adjust any number of your feats in this way, and you don't have to adjust them all in the same way. However, you can't change the weapon choices in such a way that you no longer meet the prerequisite for some other feat you possess. For instance, if you have both Weapon Focus (longsword) and Weapon Specialization (longsword), you can't change the designated weapon for Weapon Focus unless you also change the weapon for Weapon Specialization in the same way.

SpiderBrigade
2007-06-05, 02:09 PM
Yep, I'd say by RAW it works. The key phrase is

Each morning, you can spend 1 hour in weapon practice to change the designated weapon for any feat you have that applies only to a single weapon (such as Weapon Focus).

Does Exotic Weapon Proficiency apply "only to a single weapon?" It certainly does. So I think you can do it.

Of course, that's probably not what they meant it to do, but hey.

The J Pizzel
2007-06-05, 02:20 PM
This question just came up in my session. A warblade wanted to use his Weapon Aptitude to change all his "weapon feats" (meaning weapon focus, improved critical, etc.) to a an exotic weapon (although I can't remember which one right now). I told him he couldn't do that becuase he wasn't proficient in that exotic weapon. Everyone at the table agreed without discussion. Let me know if I ruled that wrong, but I don't think I did. If I did, I'll need to let my warblade player know.

jp

NEO|Phyte
2007-06-05, 02:22 PM
This question just came up in my session. A warblade wanted to use his Weapon Aptitude to change all his "weapon feats" (meaning weapon focus, improved critical, etc.) to a an exotic weapon (although I can't remember which one right now). I told him he couldn't do that becuase he wasn't proficient in that exotic weapon. Everyone at the table agreed without discussion. Let me know if I ruled that wrong, but I don't think I did. If I did, I'll need to let my warblade player know.

jp

You still need to be proficient with the weapon to make it a valid option for Weapon Focus/improved crit, so you ruled right.

Draz74
2007-06-05, 02:35 PM
You still need to be proficient with the weapon to make it a valid option for Weapon Focus/improved crit, so you ruled right.

Except if he also had the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency. In which case he could change that feat to the weapon he wanted, and also choose his other feats to line up on that same weapon, through his hour of practice.

Droodle
2007-06-05, 02:41 PM
Yep, I'd say by RAW it works. The key phrase is

Each morning, you can spend 1 hour in weapon practice to change the designated weapon for any feat you have that applies only to a single weapon (such as Weapon Focus).

Does Exotic Weapon Proficiency apply "only to a single weapon?" It certainly does. So I think you can do it.

Of course, that's probably not what they meant it to do, but hey.Sure, a warblade can easily move one exotic weapon proficiency over to a different exotic weapon, but he needs to actually have an exotic weapon proficiency in order to pull this off. In other words, a Guisarme wielding Warblade isn't going to be able to just transfer all his feats to a spiked chain unless he has another exotic weapon feat to transfer.

SpiderBrigade
2007-06-05, 10:34 PM
Sure, a warblade can easily move one exotic weapon proficiency over to a different exotic weapon, but he needs to actually have an exotic weapon proficiency in order to pull this off. In other words, a Guisarme wielding Warblade isn't going to be able to just transfer all his feats to a spiked chain unless he has another exotic weapon feat to transfer.Oh, indeed. It's not exactly game-breaking. But it does make EWP quite a viable feat choice.

Compare to the fighter, who really won't ever take EWP unless he's going for some kind of specialized build that calls for it, like a spiked-chain monkey or similar.

Greyen
2007-06-06, 01:39 AM
Seems like the concensus says that "Yes" Exotic Weapon Proficiency can be changed over. Thus allowing all the other feats attached to that weapon can be changed over as well.

This does make EWP much more viable for some DM bending entertainment. "What that guy dropped a +4 Mancatcher of Gnome Tossing? The best thing anyone else has a is +2!? Give it here I'll use it...just gimme an hour to familiarize with it!"

Yuki Akuma
2007-06-06, 07:58 AM
Wow. Another class that can actually make use of Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

Okay, that's Chameleon and Warblade. I wonder if there are others?

Morty
2007-06-06, 07:59 AM
Exotic Weapon Master PrC?

Yuki Akuma
2007-06-06, 08:02 AM
Exotic Weapon Master PrC?

Nah, he still sucks.

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-06, 08:27 AM
Wow. Another class that can actually make use of Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

Wither he sucks or not, he can still use it. And he does suck, hardcore.

The White Knight
2007-06-06, 08:33 AM
Uncanny Blow isn't so bad. But in general, yes, the EWM sucks.

Kolvin
2007-06-06, 02:50 PM
Ah yes. Well then yeah I guess by RAW you "could" change your Exotic Weapon Proficiency as long as you already took the Feat but at the same time I'm not certain I'm comfortable with it. Mainly because then you "forget" how to use a weapon entirely rather than just being less proficient with it.

It would bug me.

LeeMon
2007-06-06, 06:08 PM
Well, you just become a LOT less proficient with it. :)

A character who uses a weapon with which he or she is not proficient takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls.