PDA

View Full Version : Radiant Servant of Pelor Question

chaosbrand
2007-06-05, 08:30 PM
Empower Healing (Ex)
When a radiant servant of Pelor of at least 2nd level casts a domain spell from the Healing domain, that spell is affected as though by the Empower Spell feat.

Does this include only that one-per-day domain spell, or any healing spell for that matter? I'm assuming that it's the former, since the latter would just make it too powerful, but I need clarification on this.

Thanks in advance.

DaMullet
2007-06-05, 08:34 PM
Just the domain slot, I'm afraid. That's why it specifies a domain spell. Just because it's also a cleric spell doesn't mean it's gonna be cheesed.

ocato
2007-06-05, 08:39 PM
Yes, playing a Radiant Servant pretty much requires the Sun and Healing Domains. That is partially why you get a bonus domain, at least in my opinion.

chaosbrand
2007-06-05, 09:11 PM
Okay, that clears it up. Thanks.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-06-05, 09:37 PM
One bit of cheeze... Spontanious Domain. Choose Healing Domain. Congratulations, you now spontaniously cast from your healing domain, which then gets empowered and later maximized. Have a nice day.

Toliudar
2007-06-05, 11:49 PM
But being able to cast spells from that domain spontaneously doesn't turn them into "domain spell" slots. In effect, EVERY Radiant Servant of Pelor has domain spontaneity for healing spells. Doesn't mean that all of those are empowered. It's just the "domain slot" spells.

Now, a related question: If a campaign is using the Spell Point system, in which there are no defined "domain spell" slots, would you rule that it simply transforms to a 1/spell level/day use of the Empower Healing ability? Is it unlimited use? Does the ability need to be eliminated in order to make it work with spell points?

Ramza00
2007-06-06, 12:02 AM
The spontaneous domain option (give up spontaneous casting of heal or inflict spells, pick a domain instead) combine with choosing the healing domain should make all the spontaneous times you cast such spells a domain spell.

Using a normal cure spell though isn't going to get the benefit.

Kurobara
2007-06-06, 12:54 AM
Now, a related question: If a campaign is using the Spell Point system, in which there are no defined "domain spell" slots, would you rule that it simply transforms to a 1/spell level/day use of the Empower Healing ability? Is it unlimited use? Does the ability need to be eliminated in order to make it work with spell points?

We're not using spell points, but the DM in a game I'm in now ruled 1/day/spell level for our cleric of a custom god built so the player could have the domains he wanted (the god does have more than the player's two domains, but lacks healing as one of them) ...and yes, there is precedence for Radiant Servant of [not-Pelor] - Living Greyhawk allows it for pretty much all gods with the Sun domain, regardless of whether or not they have Healing as a domain as well (only 4 of the 11 do). I don't know how they handle that particular class feature there, though. I only know the LG deity stuff from looking up gods for my own character in this same campaign, which is more Planescape-y.

Don't know if the change is actually balanced, since we've only had one session thus far. We're supposing it will work out a little bit in the PC's favor since it'll work on spontaneous cures.

ocato
2007-06-06, 11:15 AM
The spontaneous domain option (give up spontaneous casting of heal or inflict spells, pick a domain instead) combine with choosing the healing domain should make all the spontaneous times you cast such spells a domain spell.

Using a normal cure spell though isn't going to get the benefit.

Well, no. Just because you can spontaineously cast from the domain list doesn't mean they are domain spells. You get 1 domain spell per spell level per day. That's why the Radiant Servant isn't completely craz-mo-broked. If any spell that appeared on your domain list counted as a domain spell each day, then you'd be unstoppable.

the_tick_rules
2007-06-06, 11:22 AM
it should work all the time, but just on domain it seems, SOP are still great heal bots though.

valadil
2007-06-06, 11:24 AM
I'd always gone under the assumption that domain spontaneity let you cast as a domain spell, not just as a spell that happens to be on the domain list. The book says you can convert any prepared spell into a spell from that domain. To me that implies domain spell. Is there any clarification on the matter? I imagine this is going to be one of those issues thats a DM call every time someone attempts it.

MaximumTaco
2007-06-06, 02:39 PM
Nope, a "domain spell" only counts as such when you prepare and cast it from your "domain slot" - of which you definitively have one per spell level per day. RAW you've only got one, it's not logical to assume that because you're allowed to prepare or cast a copy of a spell from your domain list in a general spell slot that the spell will count as a "domain spell."

It's a real stretch to think that every ability like that lets you get a ton of extra "domain spells" per day, but if the RAW don't do it for you this should be a pretty clear-cut case where the DM should shut down that interpretation and stop the player from getting away with this (fairly obvious) rule-scam :smallsmile:.

Jasdoif
2007-06-06, 03:11 PM
I'm not so sure, given the way the ability is written.

Afterall, a domain spell is simply a spell that's on a listed to be granted by the domain. Cure light wounds is such a spell for the Healing domain. And,
If a domain spell is not on the cleric spell list, a cleric can prepare it only in his domain spell slot.might suggest that a domain spell is still a "domain spell" even if it's not in a domain slot.

I see it as entirely possible that the Healing domain mention is simply to avoid reprinting a list of spells that the ability applies to. Conjuration (healing) covers a lot of ground, afterall; perhaps too much. And if it's only supposed to apply to the Healing Domain, shouldn't taking the Healing Domain be a prereq? You can only prepare a domain spell in your domain slots, not just any spell on your cleric list.

Of course, I also see it as entirely possible that the ability is simply poorly worded. This is a ton of extra healing we're talking about. Something like "when a domain spell of the Healing domain is prepared in a radiant servant's domain slot, it is prepared as though affected by the Empower Spell feat without increasing the spell's level" would have been a lot more precise.

JaronK
2007-06-06, 04:12 PM
The Domain Sponteneity lets you cast a "domain spell" instead of a normal spell. Yes, this works, and yes, this is why the RSoP is so darn powerful.

JaronK