PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Storm Sorcerer and Elemental Evil?

Oramac
2015-11-26, 02:41 PM
Long time lurker, first time posting. Love the guide threads!!

So my question: I was at Adventurers League last night and someone told me that as a Storm Sorcerer I can't use any of the Elemental Evil spells at all. Is this true? I can't seem to find confirmation anywhere. If so, what's the point of going Storm when all the cool wind/air/ice spells are in the EE book?

Thanks!!

Ninja_Prawn
2015-11-26, 02:57 PM

So my question: I was at Adventurers League last night and someone told me that as a Storm Sorcerer I can't use any of the Elemental Evil spells at all. Is this true? I can't seem to find confirmation anywhere. If so, what's the point of going Storm when all the cool wind/air/ice spells are in the EE book?

Thanks!!

I'm not familiar with AL, but there are standard house rules that all AL games have, right? If this "someone" is not lying or mistaken, then either the AL rules ban EE spells or it's your DM's own rule.

And I agree that's it's mega dumb. There's no point playing an elemental-themed character without the EE spells.

kaoskonfety
2015-11-26, 03:00 PM

Thanks!!

"The League said so". This (the DM not actually being in charge of the rules) is part of the reason I have not gone out of my way to play (or run) League.

My understanding: They basically don't want people stacking supplements to find broken arse combos or making nonsensical characters.

Extracted what appears to be the relevant entry from the Adventure League Players Guide: http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/ALPGv3.pdf

Choose a Story Origin
Select your story origin for your character. Most of
the time, this is simple—it’s your starting adventure’s
storyline season. Your choice of story origin tells you
what rules you can use for character options. You can
choose any available story origin, even if you plan on
playing in another storyline.
The following story origins are currently available:
• Rage of Demons
• Elemental Evil
• Tyranny of Dragons
For the Elemental Evil and Tyranny of Dragons
story origins, see “Past Story Origins” at the end of
this document.

SharkForce
2015-11-26, 03:30 PM
http://dndadventurersleague.org/the-sword-coast-adventurers-guide-and-you/

your DM is correct. unfortunately, you can use either SCAG *or* the elemental evil supplement in official AL games. not both.

Oramac
2015-11-26, 09:43 PM
Well, that is unfortunate. Thanks for the replies everyone! I suppose I'll just go with a Lightning Draconic Origin if I want the stormy feel.

silveralen
2015-11-27, 05:39 PM
Well, that is unfortunate. Thanks for the replies everyone! I suppose I'll just go with a Lightning Draconic Origin if I want the stormy feel.

You could also skip the spells in elemental power, I don't think a single one actually works with storm souls features. Even storm sphere doesn't deal lighting/thunder damage initially, and cantrips don't trigger any of your abilities.

Sure you miss a couple wind based spells but that's about it, and most of those are spells you'll pass up anyways.

Not to mention lightning Draconic orgin basically locks you into being a melee sorc, since you have no ranged cantrip of your element.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-11-28, 03:59 AM
You could also skip the spells in elemental power, I don't think a single one actually works with storm souls features. Even storm sphere doesn't deal lighting/thunder damage initially, and cantrips don't trigger any of your abilities.

Sure you miss a couple wind based spells but that's about it, and most of those are spells you'll pass up anyways.

Not to mention lightning Draconic orgin basically locks you into being a melee sorc, since you have no ranged cantrip of your element.

This is all true from an optimisation perspective, but for someone who more enjoys the other aspects of gaming (which I assume is the case for the OP, otherwise they wouldn't have posted), the denial of EE spells, especially Gust, is really painful.

If I played Adventurers' League, I would come up with a different character and save this concept for a non-AL game.