PDA

View Full Version : xkcd did it again!

Yora
2015-11-26, 05:05 PM
Another comic that is not just a comic.

This time you get a hoverboard game. (http://xkcd.com/1608/)

Once you figured out the controls, you don't have to stay in the coin collecting area.

Landis963
2015-11-26, 10:27 PM
I've already found the Death Star off to the right, Or at the very least a gargantuan set of passageways with the required wacky cameos. (Keep climbing after the mountain with the girl at the bottom you is advised to "keep climbing after you reach the top) Have you found something cool?

UrsusArctos
2015-11-26, 11:46 PM
I've already found the Death Star off to the right, Or at the very least a gargantuan set of passageways with the required wacky cameos. (Keep climbing after the mountain with the girl at the bottom you is advised to "keep climbing after you reach the top) Have you found something cool?

It's an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Elon Musk has a secret lair inside the volcano.

Vinyadan
2015-11-27, 02:50 AM
That's pretty cute, I found a guy who likes wheels down a shaft. But I suck at getting references.

How does he do these things, anyway?

Kantaki
2015-11-27, 07:55 AM
It's an Imperial Star Destroyer.

That is attacking the Tantive IV.

In the other direction I found a X-Wing, some LotR references, someone sitting in a well (who is not a ghost) and two basketball players that want to preserve themself Pompei-style.

John Campbell
2015-11-27, 12:04 PM
I've been all the way, I think, to the left end of the world. On the right, I followed the grapples up to the Tantive, and then the bombs up to the star destroyer, and have spent way too much time over the last couple of days when I should have been writing exploring the star destroyer. It's enormous, and has an annoyingly low amusing content to interminable corridor ratio. When I get done exploring it, I'm planning on BASE jumping off its bow just to see how far to the left it actually extends. I went up looking for it on clues from the people to the left a couple of times, but I think I just didn't go high enough. I haven't yet explored on the ground to the right of the Tantive.

Almarck
2015-11-27, 12:13 PM
That's pretty cute, I found a guy who likes wheels down a shaft. But I suck at getting references.

How does he do these things, anyway?

As far as flashgames go, I don't think it's that hard, atleast as far as flashgames go.

Consider that the only animated object is you and everything else is a stick figure that doesn't move. It's really just a matter then of making the controls and animations for a very simple character then making a really big background to play in.

Unless you mean at making references... in which case, he's been doing this for years. He's got a backlog and probably recycled material from older jokes.

Douglas
2015-11-27, 12:22 PM
As far as flashgames go, I don't think it's that hard, atleast as far as flashgames go.
It's not a flash game. It's all javascript.

Almarck
2015-11-27, 12:25 PM
It's not a flash game. It's all javascript.

My mistake then. Still, rather simplistic compared to the average browser game. Which isn't a bad thing.

Rater202
2015-11-27, 12:38 PM
I found what appears to be Darth Vader explaining the premise of Steven Universe to somebody, up inside the star destroyer.

hajo
2015-11-27, 12:41 PM
As far as flashgames go, I don't think it's that hard,
It is not a flashgame.

the only animated object is you and everything else is .. a really big background to play in.
Most likely he re-used the engine from 1110: Click and Drag (http://xkcd.com/1110/).

Unless you mean at making references... in which case, he's been doing this for years.
Coming up with new content is hard.
Moreso doing it for years, and several times a week.

He's got a backlog and probably recycled material from older jokes.
Sure, every writer using "recycled material", such as "a-zA-Z" common letters :smallsigh:
Please, don't cheapen their hard work like that :smallmad:

Also, see explainxkcd (http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1608) for a list of references.
Note the maps (http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1608#Maps)-section, with links to map-viewers.

Panzer
2015-11-27, 12:41 PM
Anyone got to the very top? I reached past the Emperor-ship-whatevers and kept climbing way up but there doesn't seem to be a thing up there. I did reach the rightmost edge of the map, however (there's a tall tree with a bird's nest on top and a bunch of coins right there.).

Acanous
2015-11-27, 01:08 PM
there are at least 100 coins. I stopped at 100.

John Campbell
2015-11-27, 01:08 PM
The bow of the star destroyer is directly over the right-hand wall of the "play area". Like, I dropped off the bow, and after plummeting a long way, landed right on top of the wall.

You don't really realize just how big a star destroyer really is until you've hoverboarded the entire length of its hull.

Lethologica
2015-11-27, 01:21 PM
There are exactly 169 coins. There are also several cheat codes in the console. (I didn't find them myself, but check explainxkcd for some.) I don't think there's anything above the star destroyer.

Lentrax
2015-11-27, 01:31 PM
I got stuck in the dungeon/underneath the volcano.

Fell into a black tile, never emerged.

Douglas
2015-11-27, 01:36 PM
Anyone got to the very top? I reached past the Emperor-ship-whatevers and kept climbing way up but there doesn't seem to be a thing up there. I did reach the rightmost edge of the map, however (there's a tall tree with a bird's nest on top and a bunch of coins right there.).
There is, in theory, no ceiling to the map. You can keep going up forever, it's just all blank empty space after a while.

I got stuck in the dungeon/underneath the volcano.

Fell into a black tile, never emerged.
Keep moving back and forth, several seconds in each direction at a time, and you should eventually see some open space in the upper left corner of the view appear that you can jump up into, entering Elon Musk's secret lair. To get back out into the land above, you'll have to repeat the exercise while rapidly tapping up.

Hiro Protagonest
2015-11-28, 01:43 AM
Took me a bit to realize I could multi-jump instead of just walljump.

Kato
2015-11-28, 05:10 AM
Well, I guess I'm the only one to well behaved to leave the play area :smallredface:
The sad thing is nobody ever has the time to explore all of these on their own... good thing there's the internet.

BaronOfHell
2015-11-28, 05:43 AM
The sad thing is nobody ever has the time to explore all of these on their own...

??? It's not one of those games where you can't leave for a while and come back hours later.

Seerow
2015-11-28, 06:54 AM
There are exactly 169 coins. There are also several cheat codes in the console. (I didn't find them myself, but check explainxkcd for some.) I don't think there's anything above the star destroyer.

This makes me sad. I was nearly certain I had found everything, but I only got 129. I have no idea where the last 40 could have been hidden that I didn't find, unless they're just really annoying/unfair like the volcano lair (seriously getting in/out of that place was a real pain because you can't tell if you're actually moving through the solid black lava or not).

Lethologica
2015-11-28, 12:25 PM
??? It's not one of those games where you can't leave for a while and come back hours later.
However, it is one of those games where it's easy to explore 95% of the game, but extremely difficult to verify that there isn't anything else to explore. (Without cheating, of course.)

This makes me sad. I was nearly certain I had found everything, but I only got 129. I have no idea where the last 40 could have been hidden that I didn't find, unless they're just really annoying/unfair like the volcano lair (seriously getting in/out of that place was a real pain because you can't tell if you're actually moving through the solid black lava or not).
IIRC there are some obvious coins in the star destroyer behind impassably narrow ledges and such. So cheating is encouraged.

John Campbell
2015-11-28, 02:34 PM
IIRC there are some obvious coins in the star destroyer behind impassably narrow ledges and such. So cheating is encouraged.
I just got 161, and I haven't used cheat codes at all. I think the eight I missed were in boring rooms on the star destroyer that my maze-solving algorithm caused me to bypass. Looking it over on the spoiler maps, I'm not seeing any coins in interesting or potentially inaccessible places that I don't remember visiting.

I didn't see any coins on the star destroyer that I wasn't able to get to. There were a couple in the Prince of Persia section and one beyond the peristalsis corridor that I had to come around at from a different direction. There are a couple holes in the Prince of Persia section in particular that it's possible to rise up through, but it doesn't seem to be possible to fall down through.

The only thing I didn't find without resorting to spoilers was the flying island, which is hardly worth the pushing up a lot to get there. Two coins and a couple girls BASE-jumping off it. Everything else is visible from near the ground, or by following things up from the ground (grappling cables to the Tantive IV, stream of regular torpedos from the Tantive up to the star destroyer). The island doesn't even seem to be clued.

TheStranger
2015-11-28, 04:18 PM
I can confirm that it's possible to get all 169 coins without cheating. There are two coins in particular that are very easy to miss, though (aside from the volcano lair and the floating island, which are whole areas that are easy to miss).

- One below the glitch floor
- One above the x-wing

Additionally, it's very easy to accidentally skip some rooms in the star destroyer if you're not careful and/or willing to retrace your steps several times to make sure you took all the corridors, and some of the coins are in otherwise uninteresting rooms. And there are several coins on the outside of the star destroyer that aren't visible from anywhere interesting and can really only be found by circumnavigating the whole thing. And a few coins that are far enough above the ground that you might miss them unless you're in the habit of "bouncing" pretty high as you go.