PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Radiation Damage?

Legendxp
2015-11-27, 02:14 PM
Does anybody know if there are any d20 games out there that have radiation damage? One of the enemies in my campaign is going to be able to heavily irradiate an area and I wanted to know how I should treat this (Sickness, Poison, Ongoing damage?).

nyjastul69
2015-11-27, 02:17 PM
IAFB's but I would try d20 Modern. My guess would be radiation damage would be covered somewhere in there. There is an SRD for it too.

RolandDeschain
2015-11-27, 02:18 PM
The D20 Modern Web Supplement has full rules for Radiation Exposure.

Radiation Sickness
When characters are exposed to radiation, they may be afflicted with radiation sickness. Radiation sickness functions exactly like exposure to any other disease, following the normal rules for diseases (Chapter 7). The Fortitude save necessary and the effects of radiation sickness vary with the dose of radiation to which the character is exposed.

Radiation exposure varies by degree, from mild to low, moderate, high, and severe. To determine the degree of exposure, start with the type of exposure: either an irradiated area (such as the area near where a nuclear explosion has occurred, or a lab that has been flooded with radioactive gas), or a specific source of radiation (such as a lump of radioactive material). Use the total time of exposure within a given 24-hour period, rounding up. For example, say a character is involved in a lab accident. He has to run into the lab (and hence be exposed to the radioactive materials) four times to evacuate unconscious colleagues. Each trip takes 3 rounds; the character is exposed to the radiation source for a total of 12 rounds. This counts as a 10-minute exposure, since 12 rounds is more than 1 minute.

RADIATION EXPOSURE

Situation 1 rd 1 min 10 min 1 hr 1 day
Character in irradiated area:
Lightly irradiated mild mild mild mild mild
Moderately irradiated mild mild low low low
Highly irradiated low low mod. mod. mod.
Severely irradiated mod. mod. high high severe

Character exposed to radiation source:
Mildly radioactive materials mild mild low low low
Highly radioactive materials mod. mod. high high severe
Severely radioactive materials mod. high severe severe severe

The degree of the exposure determines the severity of the radiation sickness, as indicated on the following
table.

RADIATION SICKNESS
Degree of Exposure Fort DC Damage
Mild 12 1d4–2* Con
Low 15 1d6–2* Con
Moderate 18 1d6–1* Con
High 21 1d6 Con
Severe 24 2d6 Con
• Minimum damage 0 Con

At low levels, radiation sickness is a slow disease. Often, a sick character suffers no severe effects. This is reflected in the fact that even with a failed Fortitude save, the character might not suffer any Constitution loss. In highly radioactive environments (such as a post apocalyptic setting), a character might be exposed to radiation while already suffering from sickness. If the degree of exposure exceeds the exposure that caused the initial sickness, the character suffers radiation sickness at the increased severity. Otherwise, it does not change. For example, a character who has been exposed to a low dose of radiation does not get any sicker if she is later exposed to another mild or low dose. If she is exposed to a moderate or higher dose, however, her sickness becomes more severe.

Necroticplague
2015-11-27, 02:21 PM
d20 Modern SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd) It's under Environment, under Future. Has rules for radiation poisoning, based on how severe the radiation is and how long you're there.

Âmesang
2015-11-27, 04:13 PM
Now they're radioactive! That can't be good!

Darklight ore (Drow of the Underdark, p.154) is considered radioactive (more-or-less), so perhaps that might make for a decent reference/example?

Uncle Pine
2015-11-27, 04:43 PM
Darklight ore (Drow of the Underdark, p.154) is considered radioactive (more-or-less), so perhaps that might make for a decent reference/example?

What about sickstone from Underdark? You can even make radioactive lava (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?454907-Poison-lava) with it, albeit only for a short period of time. Unless you pump your CL to "Yes", that is.

Ashtagon
2015-11-27, 04:45 PM
As others noted, d20 Modern has freely available rules for it. That system handles it using the same rules as for disease.

I ran a spreadsheet a long while back to calculate the typical effects of such radiation. Results were reported here (http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2729).

The only other d20 game I know of that had radiation rules was Dragonstar (Galaxy Guide pp 119-120). It did hit point damage with a % chance of also doing Constitution damage. Certain creatures (eg. "radiation elementals") were immune.

As usual, GURPS does it with much more complexity.

Alanto
2015-11-27, 05:02 PM
I think I remember the Star Wars D20 system having something for it. Specifically *not* the Saga Edition, the Revised Core Rulebook is what I saw it in.

I *think* it was something like a save every hour of exposure, but I'm not all that sure.

Slithery D
2015-11-27, 06:06 PM
Pathfinder also has radiation rules. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/traps-hazards-and-special-terrains/hazards/environmental-hazards/radiation

There's also a spell to duplicate it with sneaky scaling. At CL 17+ it's easily one of the most deadly 3rd level spells available, 4d6 Constitution drain on a failed save. Maximize or empower for extra fun.