PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Shaman+Dragon Devotee? Level 20+

Souskue
2015-11-27, 02:26 PM
Heya, I'm working on a character right now (currently level 15) in a game that is aimed to take us much higher than 20. I don't really care to optimize (Being able to take care of myself is enough and my party is just a little bonus) so here is what I got.

(Current Plan)
Level 15 Dragon Shaman (Black)
5 more levels of Dragon Shaman
1 level of Sorcerer
5 levels of Dragon Devotee (12 stat points for 5 levels? Okay!)
X Duskblade levels (Channeling+Armored Spell casting?)
?????
Profit

Race: Human

Stats
Str: 16
Dex: 17
Con: 16
Int: 13
Wis: 12
Cha: 20

I'm currently making my way as the party face as we're involved in a nasty war. I'm running as the party support since we have a fighter (Rushing build) and a barbarian (General beat stuff till it stops beating back) so we're sorta lacking the arcane backing most would have. Ideally, this would give us that support while still allowing me to buff/heal allies a little bit. I really have no desire to become focused on casting, but I'm really not sure where else to take this. Riding out sorcerer would definitely provide me with high damage, but it's just less fun to play (I have a level 13 wizard in our other game so avoiding more of the same). Should I just go for more sorcerer at this point while grabbing party specific buffs or harassment attacks? Or just dive right back into melee damage and go swordsage or warblade for support maneuvers?

ComaVision
2015-11-27, 02:35 PM
Maybe drop the Sorceror and Dragon Devotee and just go Duskblade right away instead? Seems to be more of what you want to do, and would also work to qualify for Dragon Disciple.

Other ideas:
Sorceror/Abjurant Champion
Sorceror/Warblade/Jade Phoenix Mage

Urpriest
2015-11-27, 02:45 PM
I'm confused. Are you doing Dragon Devotee, or Dragon Disciple? Some of your comments make it sound like the latter.

Souskue
2015-11-27, 02:57 PM
Well, I'm wanting Dragon Devotee because it gives me a 4 point boost to Charisma, Strength, and Constitution. 2 for the base levels and 2 more once I get the draconic template at 5 (without getting that LA modifier :D) They're all key stats for what I'm using right now. Plus, the very small boost to my natural armor doesn't hurt. Is this worth or no for most cases?

The Jade Phoenix mage looks exactly like the kind of thing I'd be interested in. I could see myself using the once a week self-destruction just for laughs. Combining the casting with melee combat would keep it from feeling the same (which is one reason why I was thinking duskblade).

Edit-

Dragon Shaman+Dragon Devotee. Disciple was being considered because of even more base stat increases (Plus, more dragon), but I don't think I can because it says Non-dragon and I'd have the dragon subtype by then. I'd rather have the charisma boost instead of the intelligence boost anyways right now considering I'm making diplomacy checks constantly in our game.

ComaVision
2015-11-27, 04:09 PM
Hate to burst your bubble but you're double counting the bonus stats on Devotee. Over the 5 levels, you get bits of the Draconic template and at the end you get the rest of it. So the +2 stat boosts are from the template, you just get them early.

Also, there is no dragon subtype, I'm thinking you mean the dragonblood subtype? The dragonblood subtype doesn't prevent you from taking Dragon Disciple levels.

EDIT: One last thing, at your level your Diplomacy boost should be coming from skill ranks, not high Charisma. +1 or +2 shouldn't be making or breaking any of your rolls. If you're really hurting there, grab Item Familiar as one of your feats.

Souskue
2015-11-27, 04:18 PM
Hate to burst your bubble but you're double counting the bonus stats on Devotee. Over the 5 levels, you get bits of the Draconic template and at the end you get the rest of it. So the +2 stat boosts are from the template, you just get them early.

Yeah, you're right. :/ I don't know how I missed that bit.

"that you have not already gained as dragon devotee class features" Whoops.

Also, my skills points are sorta (mostly) bad. Being human keeps it from hitting terrible, but base stats are the easiest way to increase my values across the board for now. Shaman gets 2+Int so this won't be going anywhere soon. My draconic aura does most of the work for now regarding any of our social issues

ComaVision
2015-11-27, 04:23 PM
Also, my skills points are sorta (mostly) bad. Being human keeps it from hitting terrible, but base stats are the easiest way to increase my values across the board for now. Shaman gets 2+Int so this won't be going anywhere soon. My draconic aura does most of the work for now regarding any of our social issues

You can't afford a +6 Headband of Intellect at your level?

Souskue
2015-11-27, 04:31 PM

This game was thrown together as an after Thanksgiving dinner ordeal. It was pretty much "hey, go make a 15th level character really quick. Don't worry about items. I'll give them to you." So, we all did that and it only took a couple minutes. "Here's your gear. By the way, the story goes that you're all refugees so pick 3 magic items and keep those. Toss the rest." I thought it was kind of funny at the time, but for now we're going to be taking items by force or finding them.

torrasque666
2015-11-27, 04:33 PM
Headband of Intellect won't get him extra skill points to spend.
Headband of Intellect
This device is a light cord with a small gem set so that it rests upon the forehead of the wearer. The headband adds to the wearer’s Intelligence score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +2, +4, or +6. This enhancement bonus does not earn the wearer extra skill points when a new level is attained; use the unenhanced Intelligence bonus to determine skill points.

ComaVision
2015-11-27, 04:36 PM
Headband of Intellect won't get him extra skill points to spend.

Oops, did not know that. Well, maybe you can get some tomes for an inherent bonus.

Mr Adventurer
2015-11-28, 04:56 AM
Consider Dragonfire Adept instead of Dragon Shaman.