PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Name for an Android

Vhaidara
2015-11-27, 03:11 PM
So, I'm making an Iron Gods character: An Android chaokineticist (Void kineticist). My focus is on gravity manipulation (he has a gravity drive installed in him). And I'm running into a wall for names that don't sound really cheesy (Gravitron is my WiP name)

Help anyone?

Âmesang
2015-11-27, 04:05 PM
Sadly the first names that came to mind for androids were "Lapis" and "Lazuli." :smalltongue:

Would "Newton" be too obvious?

Psyren
2015-11-27, 05:54 PM
Pretty cool concept! *steals*

You could go with a word that means moving things, like Haul, Boost, or Impulse?

DaveSonOfDave
2015-11-27, 05:56 PM
Another way to go at it is to consider a name that the person who actually made the android in-game would consider naming their creation: if it would be something as simple as a serial number, or if it would be named after something significant to the person, like their favorite season, name of their kids, etc.

Vhaidara
2015-11-27, 05:59 PM
Impulse has a certain ring to it.

Serial number is also possible. A more affectionate name from the creator wouldn't work, since he escaped and damaged his memory in the process. The name is self bestowed.

RolandDeschain
2015-11-27, 06:00 PM
I don't know what a good name would be, but I want to call him G-Force :smallcool:

Or maybe Archimedes :smallsmile:

stack
2015-11-27, 06:11 PM
I would go with impulse or Archimedes as suggested by others. May have to store those for future use, in fact.

Uhtred
2015-11-27, 08:07 PM
Give him a numeric designation, then a name that plays off of that. I set up an android with the designation "LA-50," standing for "Laboratory Associate-50," and the party ended up calling her Ella. Artoo and Threepio also spring to mind as names that follow that logic.

Âmesang
2015-11-27, 09:11 PM
Ah, just remembered that that "cyber-ninjas" from Mortal Kombat, Sektor, Cyrax, Smoke, and Sub-Zero (the younger), respectively, were also designated "Unit LK-9T9," "Unit LK-4D4," "Unit LK-7T2," and "Unit LK-52O," respectively ("LK" = "Lin Kuei"). Not really sure why Sub-Zero's designation is so different from the others.

I'm also trying to imagine a name that would utilize hexadecimal with the decimal version being his serial number (deriving one "name" from the other, in a way).

(Un)Inspired
2015-11-27, 09:27 PM
Graviton is such a good name though...

Spore
2015-11-28, 01:24 AM
I dislike names focussed on the main fuction and suggest a name based upon perceived beauty. Try to go for names of mechanical beauty. A perfect sinus wave is a cool thing yet it sounds annoying to humans. There are many things you could use names from. If he is a Psionic character and will manipulate reality I could go for any name associated with the Chaos Theory (because this in a nutshell is basically what the Android does, tugs on a tiny strand of chaos in order to unleash huge effects).