PDA

View Full Version : 3D Virtual Tabletop

Trickshaw
2015-11-27, 04:15 PM
Hey guys, my group and I toyed with this app (see title) and enjoyed it quite a bit. I was wondering if any of you have done the same and what your impressions were?

It takes a bit more preparation but it makes for a nice change of pace IMO. We still use the battle maps but since I have a 55in LED sitting four feet from our gaming setup it makes for a visually appealing alternative to battle mats and/or tokens.

mgshamster
2015-11-27, 11:35 PM
I used that app when I was running battles by myself for testing purposes. It's a great app. I love that you can add your own battle maps and your own mini's to it. And the full viewing rotation was great too. Ive only used it on my iPhone, never on a computer or a tv (not even sure if they have that set up), but it worked great on my phone.

It was a solid app. I'd definitely recommend it.

Trickshaw
2015-11-28, 09:28 AM
I used that app when I was running battles by myself for testing purposes. It's a great app. I love that you can add your own battle maps and your own mini's to it. And the full viewing rotation was great too. Ive only used it on my iPhone, never on a computer or a tv (not even sure if they have that set up), but it worked great on my phone.

It was a solid app. I'd definitely recommend it.

I have an Apple TV which you can use to mirror your apple devices. Or you can pick up an HDMI dongle to direct feed your iPad or iPhone to your TV.

Celcey
2015-11-28, 01:16 PM
This looks like exactly I've been looking for, actually. Do you have to pay for it at all? Can it do multiplayer? Does it allow for virtual dice? Does it have a chat feature (preferably voice or video chat)?

mgshamster
2015-11-29, 11:28 AM
This looks like exactly I've been looking for, actually. Do you have to pay for it at all? Can it do multiplayer? Does it allow for virtual dice? Does it have a chat feature (preferably voice or video chat)?

I don't remember if it costs money, but if it did it was cheap. Maybe a few dollars? It does require a $1 monthly subscription for multiplayer (which I think only has to be paid for by one person; not sure).

There's no dice feature and no in-app communication. All it is is a map with mini's that you can rotate around; there's a set of premade maps and a lot of mini's, and you can add your own maps and mini's with your phone's camera or any image you want.

It's not a full VTT as we traditionally think of it, it's just a literal map with grid options and mini's. But it is a great app. :)

Trickshaw
2015-11-30, 08:41 AM
The developer is adding in more options and communicates regularly in the comment section of the Apple App store. It is an App after all so don't expect it to be developed into a fully operational VTT suite.

If you're playing online with your group there are other options for voice communication and material sharing (like pictures and hand written letters). One option is as simple as Skype. But there are many others you can utilize.