PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need help with Enchanter

heavyfuel
2015-11-27, 06:41 PM
This is technically a PF game, but the subject is broad enough that 3.5 players might be able to help.

So, for the first time ever I'm DMing for an Enchanter, focused almost exclusively on Enchantment spells, and I have a dilemma.

Most of his spells are way, WAY too subjective, and require an insane amount of DM purview. For example, the "Sow Thought" spell is either insanely good, or utterly useless depending on how much lenience the DM gives.

If he sows into a 2HF an idea like "I should attack them from range", this single level 1 spell completely took 1 character out of combat, as his ranged damage is ridiculous. On the other hand, if the NPC thinks mind-altering is at play, the spell is useless.

Same goes for Charm Person, which presents similar issues.

As this is my first time dealing with an enchanter, how do you make it so that his spells aren't so "Save or suck", but are still useful?

elonin
2015-11-27, 07:24 PM
That's one of the problems with enchanter. Pathfinder is a bit better in this regard cause while it is still difficult to get past resistances at least it is possible. Meaning that mindblank grants a bonus vs mind affecting instead of being an automatic immunity. Also, from your request you mentioned charm person. In order to stay relevant you'll want to switch to charm monster or dominate monster when possible.

heavyfuel
2015-11-27, 08:29 PM
That's one of the problems with enchanter. Pathfinder is a bit better in this regard cause while it is still difficult to get past resistances at least it is possible. Meaning that mindblank grants a bonus vs mind affecting instead of being an automatic immunity. Also, from your request you mentioned charm person. In order to stay relevant you'll want to switch to charm monster or dominate monster when possible.

I think you missed me mate. I'm the DM, player is the enchanter.

Urpriest
2015-11-27, 09:09 PM
I'd suggest comparing the spells in question to non-enchantment spells of the same level, and interpreting them so that on average they are of comparable power.

stanprollyright
2015-11-27, 10:03 PM
Roll a secret % every time he uses an enchantment. High roll = give him exactly what he wants. Low roll = find some reason the enchantment doesn't work the way he intended. Medium roll = use your best judgement.

xyianth
2015-11-27, 10:31 PM
Roll a secret % every time he uses an enchantment. High roll = give him exactly what he wants. Low roll = find some reason the enchantment doesn't work the way he intended. Medium roll = use your best judgement.

I wouldn't recommend this. This would be equivalent to making a secret roll every time a rogue sneak attacks to determine whether it actually does the full extra damage or not. In general, enchantment spells are effectively save or dies that almost exclusively target will. They just have out-of-combat uses in addition to the whole save or die bit.

If the problem is that low level spells (I'm guessing sow thought is low-level, I know nothing about pathfinder) can completely take opponents out of combat, you could allow new save attempts each round to shrug it off, with higher level spells requiring more than one successful save to shrug off. This would allow the enchanter to continue to make use of their abilities without completely trivializing all your encounters.

stanprollyright
2015-11-27, 10:33 PM
If the problem is that low level spells (I'm guessing sow thought is low-level, I know nothing about pathfinder) can completely take opponents out of combat, you could allow new save attempts each round to shrug it off, with higher level spells requiring more than one successful save to shrug off. This would allow the enchanter to continue to make use of their abilities without completely trivializing all your encounters.

That's probably a better idea

ronplumley
2015-11-28, 12:15 AM
Personally, I think low level spells at low levels are supposed to be pretty powerful. The caster usually doesn't have very many of them and they he's a wimp. Compare it to Sleep. Sleep could take 4 opponents straight out of a fight if used correctly. Sure they get a save but so do most of your enchanters spells so its a apples to apples comparison.

elonin
2015-11-28, 09:09 AM
Sorry I answered the wrong question. Must have had other things going on at the same time. Looking up Sow Thought, it looks a bit too powerful for a level 1 spell on the basis of being level one with a permanent duration. The power of enchantment spells at lower levels depends on what you allow to happen in your game. I'd tend toward being a bit permissive to some degree especially since the school gets nerfed at higher levels.

Don't forget the protections within these spells that spell out that the influence spells can't force an enemy to commit self harm or acts against its own nature.