PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Light Domain Paladin

ZenBear
2015-11-27, 08:55 PM
In an upcoming game I will be playing a Paladin with the features of the Oath of Devotion, the tenets of the Oath of Ancients and the spell list from the Light Domain (worships a Sun deity). How much will this spell list benefit me? Paladins have great single target damage, adding the AoE spells like Burning Hands and Fireball makes me think I might be a little OP, more so than the Paladin is already. Thoughts?

Yorrin
2015-11-27, 09:06 PM
While the blasty-ness of the Light Domain increase your AoE options they don't actually benefit from most of your Paladin features, and will eat up your spells that could be used for smiting.

MrStabby
2015-11-27, 09:32 PM
I don't think its overpowered.

Things like fireball are great spells, but what is huge at level 5 is less good at level 9.

Some of the situational stuff is nice to have, when its good its great -(when its bad the slots smite).

Nu
2015-11-27, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't say overpowered, though Burning Hands is something of an anomaly because paladins usually don't get strong AoE, even from their Oath, at very low levels.

Fireball is less concerning because a normal Oath of the Crown paladin can get Spirit Guardians at that level, which while not as much straight-up damage, is an excellent AoE option for the paladin that works with tougher foes as well as weaker ones.

Personally, I probably wouldn't allow it as a DM if just because Burning Hands isn't the kind of spell that paladins normally get at level 3, which I assume is an intended weakness of the class, but I hardly think it's overpowered. If your DM and you agree to it, go for it.

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-28, 08:33 AM
While the blasty-ness of the Light Domain increase your AoE options they don't actually benefit from most of your Paladin features, and will eat up your spells that could be used for smiting.

True, spells as burning hand are almost always worse than a smite spell!!!