PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Vow of Peace/Touch of Golden Ice

ronplumley
2015-11-27, 09:21 PM
I know there's already a thread on this topic but there was a point that wasn't discussed that I wanted considered. The VoP feat reads, "You may not deal real damage, or ability damage to such creatures through spells or weapons, though you may deal nonlethal damage." Are unarmed attacks considered weapons? I wouldn't think so. If they were why would they even mention weapons why would they just say physical attacks or something to that effect? From a strictly RAW standpoint it would seem that a Vow of Peace character could punch someone for ability or even real damage just as long as the punching didn't result in that person's death.

Now I know some people will go on about the flavor of the feat and such things. I will point out that ravages are supposed to be good things. Exalted characters are supposed to have no compunctions about using them even though technically they do exactly the same things poisons do. Also, what is the effect of Touch of Golden Ice? Does it kill the person? No, it drains their Dex which leaves them paralyzed. This is no different than doing non lethal damage which is expressly permitted.

Backseatgamer
2016-09-02, 11:16 PM
I was literally just reading about these feats and I believe I have a solution.

IMO, yes, the unarmed strike is considered a weapon. It is on the weapon table after all. However, the ToGI feat specifically states "Any evil creature you touch with your bare hand, fist,or natural weapon is ravaged by golden ice". So if you simply made a touch attack, which does no damage and is therefore not an unarmed strike per se, it would be within the bounds of VoPe.

Just a thought.