PDA

View Full Version : Searching for the ideal Feat for this character.

Jay R
2015-11-27, 10:16 PM
My Fighter 2 / Ranger 4 / Horizon Walker 6 has just reached 12th level, and I need to choose a new Feat.

This is my first time to play E3.5, so I'm asking for help. He currently has the following:
Power Attack
Combat Reflexes
Favored Enemy: Giant
Track
Wild Empathy
Fast Movement
Endurance
Combat Expertise
Improved Trip
Improved Initiative
Leadership
Knock-Down
Hills Terrain Mastery
Forest Terrain Mastery
Underground Terrain Mastery
Mtn Terrain Mastery
Plains Terrain Mastery
Shifting Planar Terrain Mastery

And he has Riding Boots which give him Ride-By Attack. Leadership gave him a cohort, which is a giant owl.

He usually wields a +4 Thundering Guisarme, with an intelligent +4 longsword (with Hold Person) as a backup. (Yes, I know, but I still won't turn them down. The DM doesn't follow WBL guidelines.)

So what Feat would improve his abilities most? The party is a little battle-heavy, with no true wizard. Me, an Urban Ranger, a Paladin, a Druid who usually doesn't show up, a Bard, a cleric, and a Cleric / Thief / Fighter designed by a 2E player who doesn't really get 3.5E.

I've considered Iron Will, just because his Will Save is so low. I've also considered Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Quickened Reconnoiter, Mounted Combat, and Expert Tactician.

I've also considered Long Strike (although I expect the DM wouldn't allow this to be used with tripping, since he and I both know using a pole-arm that way costs power).

Also, the intelligent longsword can cast Faerie Fire. Does that have any combat use other than the extremely unlikely possibility that I can cast it on somebody directly before they turn invisible?

All advice gratefully accepted.

MisterKaws
2015-11-27, 10:40 PM
If you have access to it, take a look at Dragon Compendium, it has 10-ish polearm-only feats, could help you a bit with that guisarme, and I think the feat for fighting on 0-range with polearms is also there.

Telonius
2015-11-27, 10:55 PM
Stand Still (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill) is probably what I'd pick at that level. If I were able to rearrange feats I'd probably switch out Improved Initiative for Weapon Focus (Guisarme), then Short Haft for the Level 15 feat; but what you have is pretty good for lockdown.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-11-28, 12:27 AM
What books are available?
(There's a link in my signature, but it may be more exhaustive than you want)

Telonius
2015-11-28, 01:00 AM
Also, the intelligent longsword can cast Faerie Fire. Does that have any combat use other than the extremely unlikely possibility that I can cast it on somebody directly before they turn invisible?

In-combat, not so much. I can imagine a few nifty uses of it outside of combat. I'd think it would be good for impressing peasants, making dramatic entrances, marking pathways (briefly), as a signal for your friends to attack (or move, or whatever the plan calls for).

Jay R
2015-11-28, 12:10 PM
What books are available?
(There's a link in my signature, but it may be more exhaustive than you want)

Pretty much any official D&D books, subject to DM approval. He's been good about allowing reasonable things.

Stand Still (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill) is probably what I'd pick at that level. If I were able to rearrange feats I'd probably switch out Improved Initiative for Weapon Focus (Guisarme), then Short Haft for the Level 15 feat; but what you have is pretty good for lockdown.

I'm not arguing with you. I'm trying to learn by asking questions.

He already has Knock Down. Wouldn't it be better to just attack, and then trip him? Isn't the trip as likely to work as Stand Still, plus the damage from the hit, and the AoO when he tries to get up.

Also, I can't get Short Haft unless I Weapon Focus first. I've avoided that, leaning toward Feats usable with any weapon.

But Shorten Grip seems to do the same thing.

Also, what do people think about Haft Strike?

Keep the ideas coming. I'm learning from you.

Telonius
2015-11-29, 11:06 AM
He already has Knock Down. Wouldn't it be better to just attack, and then trip him? Isn't the trip as likely to work as Stand Still, plus the damage from the hit, and the AoO when he tries to get up.

In some cases, yes, Trip would be the superior option. The problem is that Trip is an opposed check, you take some penalties if you're smaller than the target, and things with four legs (as well as Dwarves and any other especially stable creatures) also get bonuses too. With Stand Still, it doesn't matter if you're fighting a Colossal enemy with Strength 50, it doesn't get any particular bonus other than its usual Reflex save. If you deal a whole bunch of damage, it's not moving.