PDA

View Full Version : Vampire slaying Vampire

Aleolus
2015-11-27, 11:40 PM
So, I'm watching Hellsing, and I started wondering. If you were to create an equivalent to the Hellsing organization in D&D, how would you set it up (using the organization guidelines in PHBII and CC)? Also, how would you stat up an equivalent to Alucard, taking into account the lack of guns?

nintendoh
2015-11-28, 01:27 AM
Have an artificer/ q from james bond build you an eternal wand of repeat spell magic missle and find the rules for duct taping three rods of fireball together instant rocket launcher. Artificer is tier one for a reason. Alucard should have shapeshift and a female town guard thrall. Make him British... And epic. Epic British!

Kahlendrrari
2015-11-28, 01:50 AM
Why take out the guns? pathfinder has a Dhampir racial class thingy for the Inquisitor.... and you can take the Black Powder Inquisition.... BOOM!!!! guns (see what i did there?). As far as statting everything, I don't have any idea, I'm not sure pathfinder could accept the level of awesomeness that is Alucard.

Rubik
2015-11-28, 01:55 AM
Vampires are pretty much useless in D&D. Their "racial abilities" utterly cripple them, unlike the god that is Alucard. And even without that, they're not very good at much of anything, with LA way too high. I would suggest refluffing a necropolitan and adding class abilities that mimic what Alucard does, such as horizon walker for his "enthusiastic walks in the woods." That's what horizon walkers do, right? Take walks?

Also, you've all seen Hellsing Ultimate Abridged (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgnIjJexut4),* right? Utter comedic genius, that.

*The beginning clip is an inside joke. Ignore it.

Xuldarinar
2015-11-28, 01:59 AM
Vampires are pretty much useless in D&D. Their "racial abilities" utterly cripple them, unlike the god that is Alucard. And even without that, they're not very good at much of anything, with LA way too high. I would suggest refluffing a necropolitan and adding class abilities that mimic what Alucard does, such as horizon walker for his "enthusiastic walks in the woods." That's what horizon walkers do, right? Take walks?

Also, you've all seen Hellsing Ultimate Abridged (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgnIjJexut4),* right? Utter comedic genius, that.

*The beginning clip is an inside joke. Ignore it.

..Now I want to see D&D/PF stats for Alexander Anderson. I think we have there a proper inquisitor, right?
I think he levels up in the series, as I am pretty sure he takes on the leadership feat.

nintendoh
2015-11-28, 02:45 AM
Actually now that i think about it there was a caveman campaign journal where one of the character was a gravewalker witch or some such that sucked the blood of the dead and took their spells. Her spellbook was her blood. Might be interesting.

Kahlendrrari
2015-11-29, 08:05 PM
Kaveman's UNENDING EPIC OF AWSOMESAUSE is a wonderful read, but be wary, once you start it you can't get enough of it... he hasn't updated it in a while which makes me a sad panda. But yes, Seraphim is a gravewalker and she (her player) has done some pretty nifty things with the ablilities.

Rubik
2015-11-29, 08:16 PM
but be wearyYou realize you just called it 'tiresome,' right?

RedMage125
2015-11-29, 09:53 PM
You realize you just called it 'tiresome,' right?

No, he cautioned you to "be tired". What he meant (clearly) was "be wary", which advises caution.

The direct object of "be weary" is (you), so he is not at all describing the story at all with that phrase.

This concludes your Grammar Nazi Interlude. Please, resume your previous thread activity, and have a wonderful day.

Aleolus
2015-11-29, 09:59 PM
All fine and dandy for Alucard himself (though tweaking the Vampire template to accurately portray what he can do wouldn't be hard), what about the Hellsing group as a whole? The PHBII and CC both have guidelines for creating massive organizations, what would you see Hellsing as being?

Rubik
2015-11-29, 10:00 PM
No, he cautioned you to "be tired". What he meant (clearly) was "be wary", which advises caution.

The direct object of "be weary" is (you), so he is not at all describing the story at all with that phrase.

This concludes your Grammar Nazi Interlude. Please, resume your previous thread activity, and have a wonderful day.I took it as him telling you that you should be weary after experiencing it, thus intimating that it is tiresome.

Sayt
2015-11-29, 10:10 PM
[QUOTE=nintendoh;20129025]Have an artificer/ q from james bond build you an eternal wand of repeat spell magic missle and find the rules for duct taping three rods of fireball together instant rocket launcher. /QUOTE]

I believe you are looking for a Rod Of Many Wands?

icefractal
2015-11-30, 03:16 AM
Alucard is pretty much a variant Illithid Savant. Or using the Fusion/Astral Seed trick without the usual regrowth period. Since both of those can generate arbitrarily large amounts of power, the weakness of the base Vampire template is unimportant (although if you're intending to play this as a PC, a Necropolitan base will get things going at a much earlier level)

But on the general topic of "how to augment the undead", there are several methods, although many of them would be difficult to apply to a spawn-created undead like a Vampire. Being created by a Dread Necromancer with all the Corpse-Crafter feats, for example. Maybe homebrew some method for applying those after the fact?

Beyond that, there's always implanted magic items. Not really specific to undead, but the lack of biology does make having them placed internally easier. An item of continuous Desecrate/Unhallow would be pretty potent.

Oh, and stuff some Black Sand inside the undead and seal it in there - more fast healing, for negligible cost.

Dusk Raven
2015-11-30, 03:49 AM
NO. I am NOT statting up Alucard!

...Ahem. As for Hellsing itself, I'm not sure. There seem to be, like, 5 competent people in the whole organization, which annoys me since they have a reasonable number of actual soldiers. Anyway, In trying to compare the organization to something, there's two main options. One is the route the anime itself goes, which is a load of cannon fodder with occasional elites somewhere in the mess of bodies. This, I feel, works better if you have a horror-themed setting where such inefficient tactics are necessary. My personal preference is an elite team of various heroes and badasses, where even the lowliest trooper is a well-trained and prepared warrior able to deal with the supernatural.

...I don't think I've ever actually looked at the organization rules, so that's all I can do at this stage.