PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Servitor - 5e Race by DracoKnight (named by Mith)

DracoKnight
2015-11-28, 04:21 AM
This is a race I'm currently working into a campaign. They're humanoid in shape and size, but they're unnaturally stealthy and enduring.

Servitor

“They come from the wilds, stalking like death. They are the harbingers - beware the servants, my son. Their spectral blades will slay you where you lay. They show no mercy when they have found their quarry; they are the epitome of the hunter. Their master, their creator, gave them a great will to destroy. The reapers are not to be crossed."
—Bella Fauwn, barkeep of the Mistress’ Whip

Eyes that flash in the night. Breath that rasps through the mist that seems to cling to their bodies. Reapers embody what most other races fear the most, their very presence is enough to cause the bravest men to piss themselves and run away. Reapers stalk their prey at night, very rarely allowing the sun to grace their skin, however this is not due to any physical aversion to the sun.

Bred For A Purpose
Servitors a created by either an angel or a demon for a sole purpose, known only to that entity. Solars and Balors generate the most Servitors out of all the extra-planar beings, possessing the most raw power to do so. Servitors who were created by an angel, and have completed their purpose are usually allowed to live, wandering the world and adventuring. Servitors created by a demon are destroyed upon completing their task - unless they manage to break free of their master's control.

Eyes and Ears of the Heavens and the Hells
Servitors' heightened senses are employed by their creators, who will often possess them until their mission is complete. Very rarely is a Servitor's mind free of its creator until it's task is complete, the exception being a Servitor who has been ordered to play the long game, and their creator hasn't the time to monitor every little action that the Servitor carries out or observes. Those created by demons are forced to witness terrible things, and commit the most violent atrocities in their master's name; this leads many of this childlike race to try and break their captivity from their demonic masters.

Mature and Innocent
Servitors are created with the maturity and body of an adult, but they have the mind of an innocent child, and are very curious about the world. Many fear them, having come into contact only with those who were created and controlled by demons. The Servitors, who have completed their missions and were allowed to live within the world, wander throughout the wild places, learning everything that they can, taking on massive challenges, and meeting all sorts of people and creatures that they can. Their curiosity is the driving force - the purpose - of a race of individuals that has fulfilled their purpose on earth.

The True Servitors
The Servitors have become a true race, over time; and Servitors can be born of a Servitor mother. These Servitors are looked down upon by the more snobbish members of their race, because the means of the child's creation were mundane in comparison to those made by the angels or the demons. These young Servitors aren't seen as True Servitors by such purists, however, they are often more powerful than the Servitors who were created by an external force, as they have the bloodlines of two angels, two demons, or an angel and a demon flowing through their veins.

Servitors get along with most, where there is trouble between the Servitors and another race, it is the result of one of two scenarios. In the first scenario: a Servitor was created for the purpose of pursuing a member of that race, or carrying out the assassination of a racial leader. In the second scenario: the other race got defensive when a settlement of Servitors was built up near their lands, and they became hostile towards the Servitors.

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Age. Servitors are born. It is unknown whether or not they die. Not even Servitors know.
Alignment. Servitors serve the Master that created them. They were created for a specific purpose, and tend towards the alignment of their creator.
Size. Servitors stand between 5 and 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light as if it was bright light and in darkness as if it was dim light for a radius of 60 feet.
Harbinger's Blades. You know the cantrip Harbinger's Blades. This cantrip is not on any spell list, and only Servitors have access to it. Your spellcasting ability is Constitution.
Haunting Hunters. You have proficiency in the Stealth or Perception skill.
Stalker's Endurance Your hit point maximum increases by 1, and it increases by 1 every time you gain a level.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Deep Speech.

Harbinger's Blades
Conjuration cantrip

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Components: V, M (spellcaster's blood)
Duration: Concentration (1 minute)

After you have taken damage, you may speak the command word of this spell and call forth into existence spectral blades. These spectral blades spin around you to defend you from incoming enemies. They appear as longswords if you are good, scythes if you are neutral, and daggers if you are evil. When you cast this spell, for the duration any creature that enters the area, or begins their turn in this area must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 1d6 force damage.
. While these blades exist, you may grab one of them as a bonus action and make an attack with that blade. Doing so ends the spell and deals 1d8 force damage. The weapon while you wield it has the Thrown property (20/60) and the Finesse property.
. The spell's area of effect damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6). The spell's single target damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

GandalfTheWhite
2015-11-28, 03:35 PM
This is a race I'm currently working into a campaign. They're humanoid in shape and size, but they're unnaturally stealthy and enduring.

Reaper

“They come from the wilds, stalking like death. They are the harbingers - beware the reapers, my son. Their spectral blades will slay you where you lay. They show no mercy when they have found their quarry; they are the epitome of the hunter. Their master, their creator, gave them a great will to destroy. The reapers are not to be crossed."

I'm interested to see more of the race's fluff.

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Age. Reapers are born. It is unknown whether or not they die. Not even Reapers know.

The ASIs are fine. Their perspective on age is hilarious.

Alignment. Reapers serve the Master that created them. They tend to be lawful evil, but there are a few that rebel from the Master's influence. These are the ones more likely to join an adventuring party, and are chaotic good.

I don't see how this fits with the fluff, but like I said, I'm interested to see the rest of the fluff.

Size. Reapers stand between 5 and 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light as if it was bright light and in darkness as if it was dim light for a radius of 60 feet.

This is all pretty standard stuff.

Harbinger's Blades. You know the Sword Burst cantrip. For you the range is 30 feet, and the damage dice is 1d8. The damage increases to 2d8 at 5th level, 3d8 at 11th, and 4d8 at 17th.

Normally, I'd say that this is OP, but this is literally the only thing you've given them, so I think that it's fine.

Haunting Hunters. You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.

These are all fine too.

Flesh out their fluff a little bit more. I'm interested in see how this race will exist within your world as a race.

Requiemforlust
2015-11-28, 04:37 PM

I don't see how this fits with the fluff, but like I said, I'm interested to see the rest of the fluff.

Normally, I'd say that this is OP, but this is literally the only thing you've given them, so I think that it's fine.

These are all fine too.

Flesh out their fluff a little bit more. I'm interested in see how this race will exist within your world as a race.

I gotta agree with Gandalf here. I like what I see, but I want more flavor to go with that crunchy treat.

Belac93
2015-11-28, 06:36 PM
Harbinger's Blades. You know the Sword Burst cantrip. For you the range is 30 feet, and the damage dice is 1d8. The damage increases to 2d8 at 5th level, 3d8 at 11th, and 4d8 at 17th.

You need to specify what the spellcasting ability is for this.

DracoKnight
2015-11-28, 06:41 PM
You need to specify what the spellcasting ability is for this.

Thank you for catching that. It's supposed to be Constitution. :smalltongue:

Foxhound438
2015-11-28, 10:40 PM
Harbinger's Blades. You know the Sword Burst cantrip. For you the range is 30 feet, and the damage dice is 1d8. The damage increases to 2d8 at 5th level, 3d8 at 11th, and 4d8 at 17th. Your spellcasting ability for this spell is Constitution.

so is this a "you can make the point of origin 30 feet from you" or a "you hit everything in 30 feet of you"?

either way, d8's are too strong for an aoe cantrip. if you want some big aoe with big damage it should be a limited use thing, like the dragonborn's breath weapon. probably either have the vanilla cantrip or make it its own ability.

PoeticDwarf
2015-12-01, 10:49 AM

These are all fine too.

I think there should be a little bit more fluff too, interesting race.
Also, in my opinion the race is a little bit too weak, while the cantrip should be nerfed, now it gives little times BUT a very strong buffed cantrip, now it doesn't have that many cool personal things, maybe give him one thing more who makes him even more a reaper.

DracoKnight
2015-12-01, 12:26 PM
I think there should be a little bit more fluff too, interesting race.
Also, in my opinion the race is a little bit too weak, while the cantrip should be nerfed, now it gives little times BUT a very strong buffed cantrip, now it doesn't have that many cool personal things, maybe give him one thing more who makes him even more a reaper.

Okays. I will work on this :D

DracoKnight
2015-12-03, 02:46 PM
I've updated the OP fixing the Harbinger's Blades racial trait. I am still working on fleshing out the fluff of this race.

ZenBear
2015-12-03, 03:06 PM
I like it! I expected the Harby Blades to be the ability to conjure a weapon when you lacked one, but the spell is much better. Perhaps lift the alignment restrictions on weapon form? Check out the Revanant race from 4E for fluff ideas.

DracoKnight
2015-12-03, 05:34 PM
I like it!

Thank you :smallbiggrin:

I expected the Harby Blades to be the ability to conjure a weapon when you lacked one, but the spell is much better.

When I started out making this, my initial concept was a race that got Sword Burst at 1st level Spiritual Weapon at 3rd level and Spirit Guardians at 5th. I decided that would be stupidly OP, so I decided to look at why I wanted those spells. I wanted Sword Burst for AoE, I wanted Spiritual Weapons for it's bonus action attack, and Spirit Guardians for a duration AoE. To balance it into an at will ability I gave it the base damage of Sword Burst, a duration of 1 minute, and making the bonus action attack ends the spell.

Those spells were also chosen for fluff reason, the Reapers aren't undead or Constructs - however, they are a race that can be created pretty much at will by powerful entities like Balor or Solars, and thus they have a large tie to the spiritual side of things.

Perhaps lift the alignment restrictions on weapon form?

There were actually reasons I picked those weapons: the longsword is the stereotypical weapon of the Hero, the scythe is the weapon of the Death that claims us all, and the dagger is the Evil that stabs us in the back when we least expect it. It doesn't change the spell mechanically, but it was just a little flavor thing I liked in my head.

Check out the Revanant race from 4E for fluff ideas.
I will, thanks! :smallsmile:

EDIT: Reaper is actually probably not the best name for this race. So to the forum I ask: what would you name a race created to serve angels and demons?

Mith
2015-12-03, 05:49 PM
Servitors?

JBPuffin
2015-12-03, 06:27 PM
EDIT: Reaper is actually probably not the best name for this race. So to the forum I ask: what would you name a race created to serve angels and demons?

First off - this race is cool, and the cantrip is AWESOMEly thematic. Honestly, I like Reaper for a name, although it's not so fitting for a race as much as a class archetype. Maybe Harbinger could work? Same problem in my mind, tho...ah well. Anyway, nice work, Draco.

DracoKnight
2015-12-04, 05:04 AM
Servitors?

Hmmmmmmm....I like this. I think this might work.

cooldes
2015-12-04, 05:05 AM
cool cantrip, but does it do nothing when someone enters within 5ft of you during the duration? or do you have to grab a sword?

DracoKnight
2015-12-04, 05:08 AM
First off - this race is cool, and the cantrip is AWESOMEly thematic. Honestly, I like Reaper for a name, although it's not so fitting for a race as much as a class archetype. Maybe Harbinger could work? Same problem in my mind, tho...ah well. Anyway, nice work, Draco.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it! I have a lot more fluff to add that'll flesh out the race even more, once Finals week is over :smalltongue:

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0GtPiZTLpVBChck0/giphy.gif

I can't wait to finish putting the fluff together though. I'm having a lot of fun with this race, and I'm glad it's getting mostly positive responses :smallsmile:

And I'm particularly glad that you like the cantrip. :smallbiggrin:

DracoKnight
2015-12-04, 05:11 AM
cool cantrip, but does it do nothing when someone enters within 5ft of you during the duration? or do you have to grab a sword?

It's an AoE, so it does damage to anything within 5ft. of you for the duration. You have the option to grab one of the blades and make an attack with it, ending the spell early.

EDIT: Although, I can see where your confusion came from, so I fixed the wording.

cooldes
2015-12-04, 05:38 AM
It's an AoE, so it does damage to anything within 5ft. of you for the duration. You have the option to grab one of the blades and make an attack with it, ending the spell early.

EDIT: Although, I can see where your confusion came from, so I fixed the wording.

ok, so one more question. What is my DC stat?

edit: i see it's in the race, but not the spell. sorry for the oversight

DracoKnight
2015-12-04, 10:23 AM
edit: i see it's in the race, but not the spell. sorry for the oversight

The casting stat is always in the race or the class - there is no spell that has its own unique casting stat.

GandalfTheWhite
2015-12-04, 06:53 PM

Servitor

“They come from the wilds, stalking like death. They are the harbingers - beware the servants, my son. Their spectral blades will slay you where you lay. They show no mercy when they have found their quarry; they are the epitome of the hunter. Their master, their creator, gave them a great will to destroy. The reapers are not to be crossed."

Age. Servitors are born. It is unknown whether or not they die. Not even Servitors know.
Alignment. Reapers serve the Master that created them. They were created for a specific purpose, and tend towards the alignment of their creator.
Size. Servitors stand between 5 and 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
Harbinger's Blades. You know the cantrip Harbinger's Blades. This cantrip is not on any spell list, and only Servitors have access to it. Your spellcasting ability is Constitution.
Haunting Hunters. You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.
Stalker's Endurance Your hit point maximum increases by 1, and it increases by 1 every time you gain a level.

Harbinger's Blades
Conjuration cantrip

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Duration: 1 minute

After you have taken damage, you may speak the command word of this spell and call forth into existence spectral blades. These spectral blades spin around you to defend you from incoming enemies. They appear as longswords if you are good, scythes if you are neutral, and daggers if you are evil. When you cast this spell, for the duration any creature that enters the area, or begins their turn in this area must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 1d6 force damage.
. While these blades exist, you may grab one of them as a bonus action and make an attack with that blade. Doing so ends the spell and deals 1d8 force damage. The weapon while you wield it has the Thrown property (20/60) and the Finesse property.
. The spell's area of effect damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6). The spell's single target damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

This captures the flavor of what you were going for a lot better, I think. I like the cantrip, it's pretty awesome, and if it was on a spell list, I would probably say that it was OP. BUT, it's a racial trait, and it's the main feature of this race, and the other things (ASI, single skill proficiency, and +1 HP per level) are weak enough that it balances out.

Mith
2015-12-05, 01:23 PM
Hmmmmmmm....I like this. I think this might work.

Not going to lie, I did a little "Woohoo!" when I saw the new title of the thread.

You missed a "reaper" in the Alignment section of the post. Otherwise, I think you changed them all from "reaper" to "servitor"

DracoKnight
2015-12-05, 01:57 PM
Not going to lie, I did a little "Woohoo!" when I saw the new title of the thread.

Get ready to woohoo again :smallbiggrin:

You missed a "reaper" in the Alignment section of the post. Otherwise, I think you changed them all from "reaper" to "servitor"

Fixed it, thanks for catching that :smallsmile:

Amnoriath
2015-12-08, 01:46 PM
This race feels just a little too optimized considering it gets a good proficiency, Darkvision, additional health, good stat arrays, and a really good cantrip that doesn't even require concentration.

Mith
2015-12-08, 02:34 PM
A Con check would probably work,since it gives opponents a means to shut down the blades.

DracoKnight
2015-12-08, 08:34 PM
This race feels just a little too optimized considering it gets a good proficiency, Darkvision, additional health, good stat arrays, and a really good cantrip that doesn't even require concentration.

A Con check would probably work,since it gives opponents a means to shut down the blades.

Wow, I screwed up. It was supposed to require Concentration. Sorry, guys.

DracoKnight
2015-12-19, 01:45 PM
Added two of the fluff paragraphs, I'll get around to writing the other two here soon. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: All of the fluff has been added! :smallsmile:

Requiemforlust
2015-12-19, 04:41 PM
Added two of the fluff paragraphs, I'll get around to writing the other two here soon. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: All of the fluff has been added! :smallsmile:

This race just became 110% awesomer :smallbiggrin: And it was already pretty damn awesome. I like that there's a certain disparity between the generations who were created, and those that were born. It makes sense: "I was created by an angel, but your parents f*cked to have you." It's fun and flavorful, and I like that they're childlike. That wasn't something I was expecting, but I like it - and that makes sense too, since they're created as adults - they don't know much about the world.

Amnoriath
2015-12-20, 01:31 PM
Giving them another good proficiency like that really has made this too neat of a package for optimizing.

DracoKnight
2015-12-20, 02:48 PM
Giving them another good proficiency like that really has made this too neat of a package for optimizing.

Quite possibly...but it was chosen more for thematic reasons than anything else. Maybe I'll make it "you are proficient with either the Stealth or Perception skill.

SterlingWren
2015-12-24, 07:19 AM
I really like this. This would be great fun to play :smallbiggrin:

Not that I get to play much, I'm usually stuck behind the screen.

DracoKnight
2016-01-03, 09:43 PM
Cleaned up the typos.

Are there any further thoughts on this?

ji6
2016-01-04, 01:22 AM
Flavor Text

Sorry, I am not good at looking over flavor text, so I do not plan to say anything about that :P

Man, I have had so many DMs do aging effects on PCs, this would make those situations really awkward. Seems cool as an often ignored minor feature though :P

Constitution spells are generally considered really good, I will go into more details on the actual spell below to quote its text.

Haunting Hunters. You have proficiency in the Stealth or Perception skill.

So, they choose one of the best two skills to get proficiency in? Just give them one or the other and leave it at that. Otherwise, this just feels to much like you want players to get the best of everything and is too good a feature. Getting skill proficiency in either skill is huge, and choosing between the best two seems way too strong, especially with all the other great features.

Checking the thread, it looks like someone else mentioned something about this fact as well.

*notices all these tiny really good major benefits keep accumulating* So, they get +1 constitution and this? It almost feels more reasonable to get rid of this feature and give them a straight +2 to constitution or something instead. I feel like this racial feature basically means someone is going to put odd stat in constitution for bonus, then gain the hp per level too, for a functional +4 con. +2 con instead of +1 con and this sounds stronger, but I think it is actually the weaker option and also easier for a player to remember and deal with.

This material component feels really odd. It makes me wonder, how can you keep casting if this takes away your blood and is a cantrip? Do they have an infinite amount of blood? I get the theme you wanted with this material component, but it feels weird with the whole being able to cast 1000x times.

The after you take damage note is likely to prevent them always from casting this, but it just seems weird to be attached with a spell that you activate on your turn as a cantrip. I know this is not the intention, but it sounds like you must make a dex saving throw each turn or take 1d6 force damage, as you are a creature in the area. So far, this spell sounds really strong, way stronger than any other cantrip at early levels in the book from this text alone as it is easily repeatable damage that makes it really hard to approach the caster.

While these blades exist, you may grab one of them as a bonus action and make an attack with that blade. Doing so ends the spell and deals 1d8 force damage. The weapon while you wield it has the Thrown property (20/60) and the Finesse property.

So, this is when it got out of control in my mind. Cool idea, but this is a constitution-based spell that you are using dexterity to resolve an attack with? Sounds really weird. Furthermore, you can sneak attack with this spell? That is a lot of damage. Especially for a bonus action attack. Especially as there is no reason just not to leave this spell up always, since it is a cantrip.

The spell's area of effect damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6). The spell's single target damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

Woah. Did you just say both the damages go up? So, you could walk 5 feet within someone, activate the spell for 4d6 damage on them, then bonus action 4d8 damage that applies sneak attack? That is huge for a cantrip. Not only is it very versatile as a racial ability that only they can have, but it has a huge nova too.

==============================================

So, my general idea of this race is as follows: incredibly optimized for being a rogue. You get Dex and Con stat boosts, which are huge. You do not really die from age for as far as anyone can tell, which gives immunity to a elite few deadly creatures, but this can be ignored for the most part. You get darkvision, so you do not have to worry about that. You get extra hp per level, which is also incredibly huge for everyone. You get proficiency in one of the two bests skills in the game. But the main problem is you get something that is just overpowered as a cantrip no matter how I look at it. I think this needs to be toned down a bit.

If I were you, I would first just change their attributes to +2 Dex, +2 Con and get rid of Stalker's Endurance. Then I would make Haunting Hunters only give them proficiency in perception or stealth, depending on which one you thought more core to their fluff.

Finally, to fix the cantrip, I would consider removing the concentration, making the bonus action attack an action and not end the spell, making it once per long rest, and making it a reaction to cast after taking damage. I think this feature would be better if using this was a huge awesome moment for the class rather than something the DM and player constantly has to deal with. I do not feel like looking for abuses right now, but being a cantrip with unlimited uses leads it open to many abuses in my mind, and also just feels weird with stuff like the material component and the CON dc paired with conjuring a dex or str based attack with a dagger that deals a weird amount of damage. I doubt you will like this change though, and there may be other ways to balance it. I just feel like although the cantrip sounds awesome, it will be boring for players to realize their best thing to do nearly every turn is move somewhere, spend an action to use cantrip, bonus action attack. On the other hand, making it once per long rest reaction without concentration and not ending the spell with the action attack makes it basically a god/devil like rampage of blades and sounds a bit like the character I imagined when I read your fluff.