PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [D&D 3.0/3.5] What is the item that preserves a corpse as though they'd just died?

Elxir_Breauer
2015-11-28, 05:29 AM
As the title suggests, I was wondering what the item was specifically that when worn by, or placed on a corpse or undead, preserves them as though they'd just died. If memory serves correctly it uses Gentle Repose as the base spell (which makes sense), but I can't seem to find it. I think it was either a shirt or possibly robe, but definitely took the Body slot. Anyone know which item it is and where to find it?

For reference, I'm working on a Dread Necromancer (Necropolitan, of course) and would like a way to appear as though I was still alive with minimal Disguise needed, and without relying on a Hat of Disguise. The item I'm trying to find also keeps the stench of decay from happening, by stopping the decaying process entirely. Any help would be awesome, and while I know about making a custom item of continuous GR, I am trying to avoid custom items if possible.

Edit: New question! In Heroes of Horror, the Dread Necromancer's entire spell list is given (this is fine, I'm perfectly OK with having such a narrowly focused, fixed list), but Death Ward is listed twice, at 3rd and 4th level spells. Should I go with the assumption that it was meant to be 4th, as with Cleric, or somewhat earlier access at 3rd?

It makes no sense for it to be listed as both levels, so I'm going to drop one version and see if my DM will allow me to add something else thematically appropriate in its place.

Ruethgar
2015-11-28, 12:02 PM
Gentle Repose I believe. An item for it is most likely to be found in Libris Mortis, though I seem to recall a DrgMg with it too.

OldTrees1
2015-11-28, 12:51 PM
I do not recall reading of such an item.

The options I know of are:
Casting Gentle Repose 1/day
Buying an Eternal Wand of Gentle Repose to cast it 1/day(with an extra casting for another undead)

hamishspence
2015-11-28, 01:09 PM
The robe of Gentle Repose was in the 3.0 Forgotten Realms adventure City of the Spider Queen.

Ruethgar
2015-11-28, 01:56 PM
The robe of Gentle Repose was in the 3.0 Forgotten Realms adventure City of the Spider Queen.

Just imagine, Necropolitian city where everyone wears the same robe, what a terrible fashion faux pas. lol

Hiro Quester
2015-11-28, 02:05 PM
Rubbing on some unguent of timelessness would cover it.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#unguentofTimelessness

When applied to any matter that was once alive this ointment allows that substance to resist the passage of time. Each year of actual time affects the substance as if only a day had passed.

Psyren
2015-11-28, 02:27 PM
Also Quintessence, which stops time completely. You would want a dorje of it and UPD.

MisterKaws
2015-11-28, 04:10 PM
Unguent of timelessness would work for at most 200 days, because a human body starts to decay 15~20 hours after dying.

For quintessence, you'd be a shiny necromancer and any damage would scrape off part of the quintessence, causing you to take the damage for being partially immersed in quintessence.

ericgrau
2015-11-28, 04:23 PM
Since gentle repose is on your spell list you may as well keep on recasting that. The unguent can be a backup since it lasts forever. It can be dispelled too but it gives you a backup in case of an area dispel and it's only 18.75 gp a dose.

Elxir_Breauer
2015-11-28, 04:51 PM
Ruethgar, thank you much, that is the item I was looking for! Unguent of Timelessness is also a good backup indeed. I've picked up an Eternal Wand of Gentle Repose already, so I don't have to burn second level spell slots on that for myself or my favored minion (once I'm at least 6th level anyway). I'm starting with 5th level WBL, and down the level and change in XP from the Necropolitan ritual, so actual level is 4th in a level 5 party.

I should be able to catch up before the other two level again, so that's not a huge issue.

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions!

Edit: As for casting Gentle Repose every day, it lasts 1 day per level. That's 3 days from the Eternal Wand, or 4 days from my spell slots per casting, so I guess it could be worth it for going into the adventure with it pre-cast. I'm not using any Metamagic just yet, though my next few feats are going into that.