PDA

View Full Version : Griffon Knight Need critics and help.

Beany
2015-11-28, 11:19 AM
Ok so to start, I've been working on a homebrew campaign setting. While doing so I got hung up on the idea of a griffon knight. At first I thought I would just modify the Ranger class but in all honesty I don't care for the spell casting. I like a regular fighter, but this is an NPC class for my world and wanted more flavor. So I started there but it soon became its own entity. So here's what I have.

Features
Hit Points 1d10

Proficiencies
Armor: Light and medium (you wouldn't want to weigh the griffon down with heavy armor)
Weapons: Simple and Martial (they are trained knights)
Tools: Aerial Mount

Saving Throws: Dexterity, Constitution

Ok so here is where it got sort of difficult for me. The features by level.

Ability Score Improvements at levels 4,8,12,16,19 much like the Ranger

Archetype Features at levels 3, 7, 11, 15, 20. That means 5 features per the two archetypes. The titles of the archetypes are Dragoon and Valkyrie. The dragoon is inspired by the medieval cavalry that used pikes in battle. The Valkyrie is an archer and supporter. Each offer very different builds.

At level 1 I want them to have they're Griffon mount and I realize that a griffon is rather powerful but I have to keep in mind that it's an NPC class. However what if someone wants to use it in their game as a PC class. I would like some balance to the other classes then.

I suppose this is where I seek my help at. Any and all would be much appreciated.

1Forge
2015-11-29, 11:00 PM
Ok so to start, I've been working on a homebrew campaign setting. While doing so I got hung up on the idea of a griffon knight. At first I thought I would just modify the Ranger class but in all honesty I don't care for the spell casting. I like a regular fighter, but this is an NPC class for my world and wanted more flavor. So I started there but it soon became its own entity. So here's what I have.

Features
Hit Points 1d10

Proficiencies
Armor: Light and medium (you wouldn't want to weigh the griffon down with heavy armor)
Weapons: Simple and Martial (they are trained knights)
Tools: Aerial Mount

Saving Throws: Dexterity, Constitution

Ok so here is where it got sort of difficult for me. The features by level.

Ability Score Improvements at levels 4,8,12,16,19 much like the Ranger

Archetype Features at levels 3, 7, 11, 15, 20. That means 5 features per the two archetypes. The titles of the archetypes are Dragoon and Valkyrie. The dragoon is inspired by the medieval cavalry that used pikes in battle. The Valkyrie is an archer and supporter. Each offer very different builds.

At level 1 I want them to have they're Griffon mount and I realize that a griffon is rather powerful but I have to keep in mind that it's an NPC class. However what if someone wants to use it in their game as a PC class. I would like some balance to the other classes then.

I suppose this is where I seek my help at. Any and all would be much appreciated.

As cool as this seems I cant tell which edition you are using so i'm not sure about balance. As for using this as a PC class I'd suggest some sort of spectral or otherwise magic griffon they can summon for limited time with a concentration spell. That would allow you to control it's stats exactly until they are high enough level to summon a real one.

Hawk7915
2015-11-30, 11:41 AM
This looks to be for 5E, right?

First of all, if it's an NPC class I see no reason to make a class at all. Simply have NPCs (enemies and allies) running around on Griffons and make them as strong as needed. If you'd never let your PCs take it, then no need to go through the trouble of making a class.

Second, the class "kit" and concept is very narrow (aerial mounted combat), which 5th Edition tried to move away from. This should probably be a Ranger or Fighter Archetype. As you noted though, a Griffon is insanely strong offering powerful attacks and flight. Even allowing such power at 3rd level instead of 1st can be potentially unbalancing. A Prestige Class may be a better option.

But let's assume, sake of argument, that your heart is set on making Griffon Knight as a base class. If that's the case, an obvious way to work around the problem is that players start with a juvenile/weak Griffon who can't carry them and acts as a pet/flanking buddy instead. At higher levels (maybe 6? That's when dr00ds can shapeshift into eagles) the Griffon grows up/the player is awarded with a full-grown Griffon that can fly and carry them. And then at level 10 or 12, the Griffon gets some sort of buffs to be a little more competitive with options at that level.

Looking at the nuts and bolts of the class as you have it now, getting Con and Dex as save proficiencies is a little unfair. Most classes get one of the big ones (Dex, Con, Wis) and one of the minor ones (Str, Int, Cha). Given the concept, I think Dex/Str or Dex/Cha make the most sense, but can see an argument for other combinations.

Finally, a few archetype ideas (just spitballing here)

Dragoons: Spears/Polearms are Finesse weapons, bonuses when Charging, bonuses against mounted enemies, a "Skirmish" effect that boosts AC/Saves/Damage if the character has moved, heavy armor proficiency, bonuses for being adjacent to enemies at end of turn.

Valkyrie: Some good self/other heals, hit-and-run effects, bonuses if you have eaten an OA, bonuses to avoid OA, bonuses to adjacent allies. Limited spellcasting from Cleric list?

Beany
2015-12-06, 01:47 PM
Thanks, that's a lot of help. I was considering a juvenile griffon or a ranger prestige class. It is 5e. Sorry I hadn't specified.

I think if I could get it fixed correctly I would allow it as a pc class.

Like it could be a ranger prestige class and at level three the ranger could receive a young griffin and raise it. Idk right now but that was a lot of help so thank you.