PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Half Orc Bloodrager help! Abyssal Half-Orc swinging a tree w/ a Backpack Encyclopedia

StygianRose
2015-11-28, 07:25 PM
Okay, so I am presently making a Half Orc Bloodrager and I need some help building him.

I am intending to use http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/orc-ram this weapon because the entire concept started around the idea of the Karok from Vindictus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuuSBD9WX2A is the trailer for Karok, and I realize that I won't be able to do all of its tricks in Pathfinder, so the goal here is pretty simple - wield a pillar/tree trunk for a club.

However, this weapon comes with Reach and Bull Rush on a crit. Admittedly, this has complicated things.

Abyssal Bloodrage naturally enlarges me, and at 11th level I can auto-cast Long-Arm when entering rage (or other buffs, but work with me here). This means that my Melee Reach instantly became 20-30' with a 5-15' dead zone.

The dead zone is worrisome. Given the size of Karok's pillar, would I be better simply refluffing the shame of a greatclub and calling it a day? Or does the Orcish Skull Ram come with some perks even without high Dex+Combat Reflexes?

I've kinda accepted that my AC is going to be garbage, as I was potentially planning Variant Multiclassing Cavalier for Order of the Flame and taking Extra Challenge 1-2x to use Glorious Challenge while raging to play out a character that recklessly charges all over the battlefield being a complete glory hound.

It would save me the headache that is a character that can't be built except on 25 point buy, with a stat spread of 18(16+2) / 14 / 14 / 10 / 10 / 14

It would also technically save me from needing the bull rush feats and combat reflexes.

A second question, if I use Come and Get Me (Through Primalist), and I then make the pre-emptive Attack of Opportunity; assuming that this attack of opportunity is somehow a Bull Rush (or crits, and is thus a Bull Rush) and I manage to push the attacker away outside their reach to hit me... Does that mean their attack fizzles (and potentially their full attack if they are more than 5' out of range or already used their 5' step?) I realize that tripping is easier for this, but tripping makes me even more mind-numbingly MAD.

Lastly, can anyone recommend or warn against the Sage familiar archetype? http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/familiar/familiar-archetypes/sage-familiar-archetype

The original reason to GO Bloodrager was for the Familiar Folio (I think?) option that Bloodragers (And Sorcs, and other people with Bloodlines) can exchange their first level Bloodline Power for a Familiar in exchange for getting bloodline spells 1 level later (if they have bloodline spells; EH and VMC Sorc pay nothing but are covered by the 'Anyone else with a Bloodline') section.

I intended to take a Sloth for comedic effect, and since the Sloth is pretty so-so (bordering bad? I mean, it can... climb at least?) and I didn't feel like using it as a Mauler, I was going to play it as a Sage instead. The Sloth was intended to serve as a magical encyclopedia backpack who had no ambition of his own, and thus took an advisory role to his Master (being charismatic and a great leader, but not of any particular genius); informing him of the important features of monsters / locations / local customs while clinging to his back and being a total bro that gives zero cares about anything.

I realize that this is somewhat of a wordy post, but I am hoping that you guys can help me make this Tree-Swinging Abyssal Half-Orc with a Magical Backpack Encyclopedia a reality.

Falxu
2015-11-29, 06:52 AM
Doesn't Abyssal allow you to grow claws as your first bloodline power? If you have claws you threaten adjacent (w/claws) and reach (w/ram).

Also, if you want a familiar, it is really hard to beat out Aberrant Bloodline + Tumor Familiar (w/Valet Template) feat + Amplified Rage feat. Nothing says tree trunk smashing orc than MORE RAGE! (+4 STR, +4 CON extra morale bonus on top of your rage).

Baroncognito
2015-11-29, 07:07 AM
According to the text the Bull Rush is 1) optional and 2) requires a free action. I believe that you can only perform free actions during your turn unless otherwise specified. The rules, for example, call out speaking as a free action that you can perform even when it isn't your turn. As such, you shouldn't be able to use the Bull Rush ability when it isn't your turn.

As to the reach problem, I know that the Dragoon fighter, at level 7, gets the ability to spin a spear weapon and attack with both ends, one end with reach, one without.

If you don't want to dip seven levels of fighter, then it looks like the Weapon Master's Handbook has the "Dancing Spear Style (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20094987&postcount=71)" which would eventually allow you to do the same thing. But for just one feat, you could attack with both ends of it and it wouldn't have reach at all.