PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my gish

Nosta
2015-11-28, 07:35 PM
I have a level 20 cleric gish who loves to use persistent spell a lot (wraith strike and so on)
and I was wondering what items I should fill each of her body slots with
for a weapon I have a custom platinum falchion with a 5ft reach that is keen and collision and +5
she has about 1.2 million gold to spend so I can go a little wild

some help please

stanprollyright
2015-11-28, 07:48 PM
A Cleric isn't a gish, a Cleric is a Cleric.

MisterKaws
2015-11-28, 08:22 PM
A Cleric isn't a gish, a Cleric is a Cleric.

You surely never tried to DMM persist Righteous Might.

Xervous
2015-11-28, 08:33 PM
C'mon people, it's a CoDzilla, they figured that one out years ago.

Take a look at the necessary magic items handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items). Think about investing in nightsticks if your DM lets you stack em. Spellblades for greater dispel magic and similar are nice to avoid getting your buffstacks reamed (even if you aren't DMM persisting you'll have some important things up).

A ring of spell-battle (Complete Arcane 144, 67,600 GP) is definitely worth your investment: you're made aware of all spellcasting in 60ft and if you successfully identify a spell being cast (A joke with 23 ranks in spellcraft) 1/day you can counterspell or outright redirect one spell automatically. Turn that area spell of doom back on the enemy, make their escape spell simply fail... so many options.

Wands (possibly eternal) of downtime healing spells (lesser vigor is the most efficient GP wise) and other utility things like restoration.

Given how much use you get out of every stat a +6 Belt of Magnificence wouldn't be a bad choice, especially if you wish to free up slots for other nifty things. +5 vest or cloak of resistance is of course important.

You could stick a wand chamber in your sword to hold a nifty swift action spell. Perhaps wings of cover if you have the stats to UMD it consistently. You can also get a buckler to hold another wand and some other Weapon Special Abilities, or defensive abilities. You can still attack 2h when wearing a buckler all for the piddly penalty of -1.

Zancloufer
2015-11-28, 08:43 PM
Besides stacking Nightsticks so you can DMM True seeing, Deathward, Freedom of movement Delay Death and what ever other buffs you might find useful.

A +6 Item of Wisdom and Strength is solid. As is mentioned on the "Necessary Item list" you want Mind Blank, Flight and probably some form of Teleportation if you can't already. While I would say +Con/AC/Saves/Fortification if you stack immunities and Delay Death those things are rather pointless. A Method of Countering Dispel Magic is Paramount, just a single Ring of Spell-battle is probably not enough. Heck if you have a million GP to spend try to get 3-4 of those. Can always swap the used ones between encounters.

stanprollyright
2015-11-28, 08:48 PM
You surely never tried to DMM persist Righteous Might.

Being a buffed-up caster in melee is a normal part of what a Cleric does, in addition to all the other stupidly powerful things a cleric can do at the same time. A T1 superiority caster deigning to enter melee because they can is not a gish. It's CoDzilla, in this case.

Zancloufer
2015-11-28, 08:57 PM
The original Gish was a reference in 1st/2nd Ed about a Warrior/Mage (usually Githyanki) that buffed up a waded into melee. Here we have a Full caster that buffs up and primarily fights in close combat. Yes buffing up and entering melee isn't exactly out of the norm for a cleric, but in this case it seems to be the focus of their WBL/build, so I don't see how specifying Gish is out of place here.

Xervous
2015-11-28, 09:01 PM
Besides stacking Nightsticks so you can DMM True seeing, Deathward, Freedom of movement Delay Death and what ever other buffs you might find useful.

A +6 Item of Wisdom and Strength is solid. As is mentioned on the "Necessary Item list" you want Mind Blank, Flight and probably some form of Teleportation if you can't already. While I would say +Con/AC/Saves/Fortification if you stack immunities and Delay Death those things are rather pointless. A Method of Countering Dispel Magic is Paramount, just a single Ring of Spell-battle is probably not enough. Heck if you have a million GP to spend try to get 3-4 of those. Can always swap the used ones between encounters.

Spellblades for Greater Dispel Magic, Reaving Dispel, and Chain Dispel are the usual go to for dealing with targeted dispels... you can also opt for methods of boosting your CL to YES to ensure the enemies have zero chance of dispelling you but this could lead to a DM arms race. Slap one on your armor spikes, on your falchion, and the third on your buckler... heck, go grab boot knives or other silly stuff if your DM permits it and tune those to other spells you feel will be frequent.