PDA

View Full Version : I haven't played Fallout

Jibar
2007-06-06, 02:38 PM
Okay, okay, I confess!
I haven't played Fallout, or Fallout 2.
I love RPGs. Especially open ended ones. I may not have played much into Oblivion or Morrowind, but what they were was more important to me than how far I got.
So, I am understandably ashamed to say that the Fallout series is one I haven't touched.
Hell, I had only a vague idea what the games were about an hour ago, then I went to read up on Wikipedia.
So... what are my chances I could find a copy of either game and not have you guys hate me?

Driderman
2007-06-06, 02:42 PM
You should be able to pick up a collection of Fallout 1 & 2 + Fallout Tactics with few problems I believe.
Of course, the internet also has solutions to acquiring games, but that would be illegal...

EndgamerAzari
2007-06-06, 03:03 PM
You can get 1+2 at Best Buy for $10, last time I checked.

Erloas
2007-06-06, 03:11 PM
Yeah, the games are easy enough to find. I recently found the games again and I'm playing through Fallout 1 right now.
I have purchased the game, and I've got the empty CD case to show for it, so I just found a copy online (which was easy enough to do). Its also not like it hurts the developer at this point since the games are 10 years old and the company is all but non existant.

The games were great, but they are obviously dated too. While the story is as good as ever the quality of the game in comparision to what we are used to now is not very high. If/when you get the game (by whatever means you find necessary) be sure to find the latest unoffical patches. The games had a lot of bugs on release and many of which were never fixed in offical patches, but there have been a few hardcore fans that have went though the game and fixed as many of the bugs as possible without actually moding the game in other ways.

Brianish
2007-06-06, 03:23 PM
a few hardcore fans that have went though the game and fixed as many of the bugs as possible without actually moding the game in other ways.

Seriously?

Please direct me to these.:)

adanedhel9
2007-06-06, 05:23 PM
I, too, am among the heretics who've never played these, and I'm considering picking them up. Does anyone have any experience running them on a higher-end Windows XP box? Anything unusual I should look out for?

Setra
2007-06-06, 05:41 PM
Er.. I don't even know much about Fallout.

Please don't smite me

sobebop
2007-06-06, 06:37 PM
the original games are still good. but at the time of their release they were magic and glory. thats right!

they are dated now.

youve held out this long, just wait for the 2008 version, lol.
that way you can go into the new game with no expectations. but at the same time, id never advice someone to not check out 1, 2 and tactics.

Maldraugedhen
2007-06-06, 06:37 PM
I'm in the same boat, here, but there are a lot of good RPGs out there I haven't played. This just happens to be one of the most commonly mentioned.

Prustan
2007-06-07, 06:48 AM
Whatever you do, DON'T get Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. It's a cheap knockoff of D&D: Heroes (which is a ok knockoff of Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance) set in the Fallout universe. Gratuitous offensive language, no weight limits (I had over 1k ammo for my three main guns by the end), difficulty in seeing where you're aiming (unless you zoom in, then you can't see where the enemies are. Actually, can you zoom in?). I suffered through it long enough to beat it once, and haven't touched it since. Horrible use of the license.
I've found a cheap copy of the other Fallout games. Can't get Fallout to work, Fallout 2 is ok, and so is Fallout Tactics. Although I've had Fallout Tactics for years already.

Om
2007-06-07, 08:13 AM
If/when you get the game (by whatever means you find necessary) be sure to find the latest unoffical patches. The games had a lot of bugs on release and many of which were never fixed in offical patches, but there have been a few hardcore fans that have went though the game and fixed as many of the bugs as possible without actually moding the game in other ways.Do these work with the "online" versions? I picked up the game a few years ago as part of the White Label pack but none of the patches would work.

They're still great games though and everyone should play them. The quality of the writing is excellent.

Assasinater
2007-06-07, 09:53 AM
Actually, Brotherhood of Steel wasn't that bad; sure it can never match the quality of Fallout 1 and 2, but it can be enjoyed if one likes X-COM or Jagged Alliance type games.

Shikton
2007-06-07, 10:25 AM
I had no problems running Fallout on my WinXP comp.

Erloas
2007-06-07, 10:29 AM
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php
They have links to some of the fan made patches. I'm really not sure which one is the best. Most of them require being patches to a certain version of the offical patches, and there are different ones for different language/country versions of the game so you have to make sure you get the right one. They have links to all of the official patches there as well.

As for Brotherhood of Steel... there is a bit of confussion caused by poor naming. Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel is for the PC, and while its missing some of the RPG elements of 1 and 2 and there is less freedom in the story, is still a pretty good game. There is another version for the Xbox (I believe) that was called Fallout Brotherhood of Steel and from everything I've heard about it, it just sucked completely.

Driderman
2007-06-07, 03:39 PM
You should be able to make do with the official patches, they fix the worst problems, while the unofficial ones mainly add objects and such to areas otherwise empty of looting potential. Also, the unofficial patches open up a few extra quests, but nothing major. Official patch is either UK or US version, if I remember correctly the US version is the one with children in.
I've run both Fallout 1 & 2 on XP systems with no trouble whatsoever. If you do have trouble, compatability mode should fix it

Cubey
2007-06-07, 04:15 PM
Actually, Brotherhood of Steel wasn't that bad; sure it can never match the quality of Fallout 1 and 2, but it can be enjoyed if one likes X-COM or Jagged Alliance type games.

You mean Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel. He meant Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, which is, basically, an arcade game.

NinjaFish
2007-06-07, 09:32 PM
... Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, which is, basically, an arcade game.

Yeah, BoS was basically Gauntlet in a post-apocalyptic future, with a story half-hazardly tacked on...with blunt tacks. It had it's moments of Fallout humor, but it wasn't half as good as the others.

Oh, but it had Tony Jay! He makes everything good! :smallbiggrin:

Here, Jibar, check out the Fallout 3 teaser (http://fallout.bethsoft.com/teaser.html). It gives you a nice feel of the dystopic, future-retro feel of the series.

asqwasqw
2007-06-07, 10:24 PM
If you want to find good fallout info, go to www.nma-fallout.com/ or www.duckandcover.cx/ . While I haven't played fallout tactics, and just started fallout 1, fallout 2 has provided hours of enjoyment to me. I am restarting for the third time now!

Driderman
2007-06-08, 08:25 AM
If you want to find good fallout info, go to www.nma-fallout.com/ or www.duckandcover.cx/ . While I haven't played fallout tactics, and just started fallout 1, fallout 2 has provided hours of enjoyment to me. I am restarting for the third time now!

Some games just never get old, now matter how 'dated' they are...