PDA

View Full Version : Resurrection: difficult after being eaten?

EdgarVerona
2007-06-06, 02:45 PM
This is a rules question I suppose... is there any complication in Roy being resurrected if he's been partially eaten (as it seems by the prior comic that he's in the process of being pecked at by vultures)?

RMS Oceanic
2007-06-06, 02:48 PM
It depends on the spell.

Raise Dead: Needs whole body intact. If partially eaten, cannot RD.

Resurrection: Needs a part of the body. Can work if it's been partially eaten, but not devoured.

True Resurrection: Can work regardless of body condition, if you know the person/have him described to you well enough.

These are the three main spells used to reverse post-organicism.

Zaldrak
2007-06-06, 02:49 PM
The body needs to be mostly intact for Raise Dead, so if any vital parts of Roy get eaten by the vultures he will need a Resurrection spell.

Ladorak
2007-06-06, 02:49 PM
Not unless they eat all of him... But with :mitd: wandering about maybe that could happen (Wonders what Roy could reincarnate as... with hilirous results)

Twilight Jack
2007-06-06, 02:52 PM
But no worries. All signs point to Durkon being 13th level, which should give him access to Resurrection. The only problem being partially eaten presents is that it means twice the diamond value in gold pieces (which, knowing the Order's wealth levels, could be a bit of a problem after all :smalleek: ).

Lord_Butters_I
2007-06-06, 02:55 PM
Raise Dead won't work, you need the whole body, but Ressurection will work with a single cell and True Ressurection doesn't even need that.

chibibar
2007-06-06, 02:57 PM
Yea... If Roy is missing Eyes, ears, nose, arms, legs, and body organs... then raise dead won't work on him.

Resurrection will work and restore those missing parts..

now if only thing left is a finger (or anything else) then True Resurrection is needed.

BobTheDog
2007-06-06, 02:57 PM
And then a gross question comes to mind:

Resurrection requires a part of the dead body, however minimal and/or utterly destroyed it be (disintegrated remains, for example).

So, if Roy gets totally eaten, and then someone tries to resurrect the vultures' droppings... Would it work?

chibibar
2007-06-06, 03:00 PM
And then a gross question comes to mind:

Resurrection requires a part of the dead body, however minimal and/or utterly destroyed it be (disintegrated remains, for example).

So, if Roy gets totally eaten, and then someone tries to resurrect the vultures' droppings... Would it work?

actually yes. :)

Zaldrak
2007-06-06, 03:01 PM
I want to note however that Raise Dead doesn't need the whole body, only the vital parts. You can Raise someone who has lost eyes, legs and/or arms, but those would still be still missing.

Zaldrak
2007-06-06, 03:02 PM
Oh, and I don't think that the vultures would eat Roy's skeleton, so no worry about Resurrection

David Argall
2007-06-06, 03:04 PM
The description from PH Raise Dead says "Otherwise, missing parts are still missing when the creature is brought back to life."

So you can successfully cast Raise Dead on a body missing some or many parts, or hacked into lots of pieces, or... It's just that you get brand X results, which will often include the subject of the spell immediately dying again.

Zherog
2007-06-06, 03:06 PM
The only problem being partially eaten presents is that it means twice the diamond value in gold pieces

That's incorrect. Nothing in the spell description indicates the material component cost for the resurrection spell increases if part of the body has been gobbled. It's 10K worth of diamonds, regardless.

Also, while raise dead is not enough to regenerate, for example, a missing eye, there is a spell that will do that - called, appropriately enough, regenerate. It's a 7th level cleric spell, so Durkon can also cast that.

teratorn
2007-06-06, 03:09 PM
The only problem being partially eaten presents is that it means twice the diamond value in gold pieces (which, knowing the Order's wealth levels, could be a bit of a problem after all :smalleek: ).

They lost the dragon hoard, but they had 57,150 gp from Durokan's dungeon in their bags of holding. They were divided giving around 16,328 gp to Haley and half of that to each of the others (plus one rock).

V and the others spent money, but Haley must have most of it, we even saw her recently talking to it.

BobTheDog
2007-06-06, 03:17 PM
That's incorrect. Nothing in the spell description indicates the material component cost for the resurrection spell increases if part of the body has been gobbled. It's 10K worth of diamonds, regardless.

I think the other guy meant that Resurrection costs the double in diamonds as does Raise Dead, so the vultures are costing the OotS 5k gp. Damn vultures, now Haley will never get enough cash to free her dad. :smallannoyed:

Ridureyu
2007-06-06, 03:20 PM
So the best way to sabotage things would be to clip the nails off every corpse?

CardinalFang
2007-06-06, 03:29 PM
So the best way to sabotage things would be to clip the nails off every corpse?

If I were dead, I don't think I'd complain about coming back with trimmed fingernails.

Ridureyu
2007-06-06, 03:37 PM
What I mean is, can you interpret the rules in such a way that trimmed fingernails = no raise dead?

This is similar to making a paladin fall because when he was defending the city, one of the orcs he killed was pregnant. (But not killing the orc would make him fall, anyway)

Errata
2007-06-06, 03:42 PM
What I mean is, can you interpret the rules in such a way that trimmed fingernails = no raise dead?

No, because as someone clarified, the spell will work as long as you're not missing vital organs. You'll come back still missing whatever body parts the corpse didn't have. So if your fingernails were clipped, Raise Dead will work, you just will have clipped fingernails.

Smiley_
2007-06-06, 03:46 PM
Raise dead is just that. It makes a dead thing alive again. It does not heal and replace missing parts, but as long as the creature could survive without those parts (maybe without a leg or arm), at least for a while (yes, you could live for a while without some organs, just not long), Raise dead would work.

Resurrection patches up the body to an extent, as long as you have something to work off of. Half a skeleton or bits of flesh would work. I do not think a single cell would work.

True resurrection actually constructs a new body for the soul to rest in. You do not need the body for results.

As long as Roy's body stays intact more or less, maybe with a few bites out of him, a raise dead spell would still work. All that would be needed is a heal spell (which I believe restores small parts like noses and eyeballs). If an arm or leg is missing, a regenerate would be needed after raise dead.

Alfryd
2007-06-06, 03:46 PM
...which, knowing the Order's wealth levels, could be a bit of a problem after all...
Must be compensating for their extravagant point buys. I mean, wealth-by-level guidelines would put them at, what, 85K GP each by now (level 14, or thereabouts)?

Ridureyu
2007-06-06, 03:48 PM
No, because as someone clarified, the spell will work as long as you're not missing vital organs. You'll come back still missing whatever body parts the corpse didn't have. So if your fingernails were clipped, Raise Dead will work, you just will have clipped fingernails.

Well, so much for needlessly screwing over the party. Dang.

chibibar
2007-06-06, 03:57 PM
Well, so much for needlessly screwing over the party. Dang.

But you could screw them over by cutting off an arm or a leg. They will be raise without the limbs (assuming you took it with you or burn them) but I wonder does it heal?

would you raise with a bleeding stump?

CardinalFang
2007-06-06, 04:00 PM
But you could screw them over by cutting off an arm or a leg. They will be raise without the limbs (assuming you took it with you or burn them) but I wonder does it heal?

Plus, I think more adventurers have swords and axes lying around than nail clippers.

Ridureyu
2007-06-06, 04:04 PM

You can restore lost limbs. that's not as needlessly cruel as "Sorry, no raise dead! A hair fell out."

chibibar
2007-06-06, 04:05 PM
Plus, I think more adventurers have swords and axes lying around than nail clippers.

Ahh.. looks like mortal wounds will heal :) so basically if you raise dead someone with no arms, they will have two stumps instead.

Pigboy
2007-06-06, 04:30 PM
So why don't they just cast "true ressurection" on Roy's dad? Or is there some DnD rule against that?

One_Wolf
2007-06-06, 04:31 PM
Don't forget about "Reincarnate", although I havn't seen a druid in a while.

That could bring him back as a:

Bugbear, Dwarf, Elf, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Half-elf, Half-orc, Halfling, Human (boring), Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Troglodyte, or a 1% chance of Other (DM's choice)

That could be fun. :smallamused:

That only costs 1000gp in Rare oils and unguents(?).

-One Wolf

chibibar
2007-06-06, 04:40 PM
So why don't they just cast "true ressurection" on Roy's dad? Or is there some DnD rule against that?

like all resurrection, you have to be willing. Considering that Roy's Dad (Eugene) have a new girlfriend and all.. I don't think he wants to come back :)

but plot wise, a DM could restrict a true resurrection and it does cost 25,000 GP worth of diamonds

also who would want to waste that much money to true resurrect Eugene? surely not Roy ;)

Pigboy
2007-06-06, 04:42 PM
like all resurrection, you have to be willing. Considering that Roy's Dad (Eugene) have a new girlfriend and all.. I don't think he wants to come back :)

but plot wise, a DM could restrict a true resurrection and it does cost 25,000 GP worth of diamonds

also who would want to waste that much money to true resurrect Eugene? surely not Roy ;)

Oh yeah! I forgot about the girlfriend thing...

Pigboy
2007-06-06, 04:43 PM

Also, that brings up an interesting question. We know there can be house rules but is there a DM?

Studoku
2007-06-06, 04:47 PM
Don't forget about "Reincarnate", although I havn't seen a druid in a while.

That could bring him back as a:

Bugbear, Dwarf, Elf, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Half-elf, Half-orc, Halfling, Human (boring), Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Troglodyte, or a 1% chance of Other (DM's choice)

That could be fun. :smallamused:

That only costs 1000gp in Rare oils and unguents(?).

-One Wolf

There are two druids that have appeared in the comic- Lirian and Leeky Windstaff. So unless Lirian shows up, Roy isn't getting reincarnated.

I think Roy getting devoured is the most likely result as it would require a true ressurection and therefore take a while to find a high enough cleric.

One more question- Can true ressurection be used if the body is intact but someone has stolen and/or hidden it?

Wolfie_1066
2007-06-06, 04:52 PM

your forgetting that dieing of old age inhibits that aswell

chibibar
2007-06-06, 04:53 PM
Also, that brings up an interesting question. We know there can be house rules but is there a DM?

I use DM = Dungeon Master = Game Master :) (since D&D 1st edition called DM so I'm kinda stuck with it)

DM can make any house rules/alter the original rules as they see fit. That is the beauty of role-playing. Most of the rules are basic guidelines to cover areas a DM/players might not think of or can use as a base.

One of our favorite item is the mini-antimatter barrel.

Basically you have a small barrel. Inside you have a sphere of annihilation and a rod of cancellation (both can be made) in a stasis field. The barrel has a trigger spell upon broken it will dispel the stasis field. Once the two item touch, it will totally wipe out a small area (I do believe 1000 feet I cannot remember) it is not in the magical item rule book but it is possible to make such an item within the rules ;)

another one is funny... called propel barrel. We got a HUGE tube made of steel and case semi-permenant propel spell inside it. If you put any object inside, it will propel to the other end of the tube.... guess what we put inside? yup... anti-matter barrels :)

Rincewind
2007-06-06, 05:59 PM
Don't worry, Roy'll be coming back allright.

Wish or Miracle, those are very popular these days...
I'm starting to get pissed at seeing these two nearly everywhere..
Spell of This, mantle of that, disfunction of that, yada yada...

"Can only be restored with a Wish or Miracle spell..." :smallcool:

frynque
2007-06-08, 02:00 PM
wish? miracle?

ugh... campaigns where spell choice == player opens spell guide/hand book/etc. and just thumbs for their favorites == meh. spells of that power are equivilent to artifacts. you see them maybe once in a complete story arc and always come with a price.

just like melees have to pray for weapon/armor upgrades to materialize in the form of loot, casters have to suffer finding spell docs/trainers/etc. if any moron could walk into "phil's spell emporium" and buy a wish scroll, the whole fabric of the universe would be torn assunder. and dont argue price, because if it was that valuable, phil's emporium would be robbed every thursday, after the taverns let out. :P

roy's gonna get a resurrection from any surviving high priest or durkon, whomever gets there first. anything else would be "monty-haul". assuming he wants to come back. being "more than likely" a LG warrior, "heaven" might be a rather cushy gig.

== frynque

ps: regarding the "resurrecting bird poop", pff, nice try. just because the atoms are there, doesnt mean it works. by that notion, Polymorph Any Object would have the same duration regardless of material because ultimately, everything was star matter at some point in the distant past, and thus the same thing. once roy is organically reduced, he'd need a resurrection or better because "a piece of bird poo" != "piece of roy".

Caffeine Addict
2007-06-08, 06:39 PM
"a piece of bird poo" != "piece of roy".

Well, that depends on the type of bird. If Roy gets eaten by a giant owl, then it'll eat him whole, suck the flesh off the bones and then vomit his bones back up as a pellet. Which is nearly poo. Kindof.

Look, you see these things I'm grasping at? They're called "straws"...