PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Armor identification help

Zaetar
2015-11-29, 02:12 AM
http://hydra-images.cursecdn.com/vindictus.gamepedia.com/thumb/3/31/Kai_Concept_Art_4.png/350px-Kai_Concept_Art_4.png

Can anyone help me figure out what on earth is that armor supposed to be? I see splint, chain, plate and some bands in there.

How would you categorize it and what stats would you give it?

If wearable by an archer, i'd be using it on a ranged fighter in a PF campaign. Fighter's armor training would reduce the penalty and increase the Dex by 4.

DrMotives
2015-11-29, 03:34 AM
It's a weird mashup of armors to be sure, the closest it resemble historically would be "transitional armor", which I think is what half-plate in the game was supposed to be. I don't know about PF, but in 3.0 & 3.5 it's pretty terrible.

Knaight
2015-11-29, 04:11 AM
It's a weird mashup of armors to be sure, the closest it resemble historically would be "transitional armor", which I think is what half-plate in the game was supposed to be. I don't know about PF, but in 3.0 & 3.5 it's pretty terrible.

It's a weird case for transitional armor though. It's got large, complexly jointed leg pieces and no breast plate. The mail is clearly in multiple pieces, with the tabard going over one and under another. I'd probably go with Half-Plate, at least partially because half plate kind of sucks and that's questionable armor.

Zaetar
2015-11-29, 01:44 PM
Still to heavy to be useful... dang it, well it does look cool...

Broken Crown
2015-11-29, 02:36 PM
I think that would be properly categorized as "silly fantasy armour."

I'd probably go with Half-Plate, at least partially because half plate kind of sucks and that's questionable armor.

I'd agree with that ruling and its excellent justification.

Zaetar
2015-11-29, 03:31 PM

I'd agree with that ruling and its excellent justification.

Guess I could make an archer with half-plate... To compensate the fact that i cant go for more than +4 dex bonus at level 15, I could go for more strength and composite bows...

VoxRationis
2015-11-29, 03:50 PM

Not half as silly as most fantasy armor. At least the pauldrons won't decapitate the wearer during normal combat motions. That said, the full-plate leg armor seems odd combined with a mail vest.

Aleolus
2015-11-29, 04:07 PM
Not half as silly as most fantasy armor. At least the pauldrons won't decapitate the wearer during normal combat motions. That said, the full-plate leg armor seems odd combined with a mail vest.

Especially fantasy female armor. Super good armor, while. covering nothing more than the nipples and most of the pelvic region!

DrMotives
2015-11-29, 04:11 PM

That's not quite as weird as the chainmail miniskirt below an oddly short hauberk, with the funny over-under tabard tuck. Or a splint mail collar with no splint anywhere else, unless the ends of the short sleeves are splint. It kinda looks like he did a mix-n-match at an armorer's factory seconds sale.

KillianHawkeye
2015-11-29, 06:12 PM
Yeah, but check out those ROCKIN' helmet feathers! Pretty sweet, amirite? :smallamused:

VoxRationis
2015-11-29, 08:24 PM
That's not quite as weird as the chainmail miniskirt below an oddly short hauberk, with the funny over-under tabard tuck. Or a splint mail collar with no splint anywhere else, unless the ends of the short sleeves are splint. It kinda looks like he did a mix-n-match at an armorer's factory seconds sale.

Mix-n-match armors aren't entirely unknown (many samurai armors spring to mind) in the historical record.
Wow, I didn't catch the tabard thing at first. Good eyes. I'm guessing that's just a goof on the part of the artist.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-29, 09:15 PM
This looks like it's assembled from the armor of slain enemies, thus creating a walking billboard advertising the wearer's skill in combat.
Full Plate
The suit includes gauntlets, heavy leather boots, a visored helmet, and a thick layer of padding that is worn underneath the armor. Each suit of full plate must be individually fitted to its owner by a master armorsmith, although a captured suit can be resized to fit a new owner at a cost of 200 to 800 (2d4×100) gold pieces.
Cuisses, poleyns, and greaves are less than a suit of full plate, and might by happenstance fit the victor without needing a master to resize them.

I concur with the "half-plate" assessment for game purposes.

Zaetar
2015-12-01, 04:24 AM
How about this one?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/81/ad/71/81ad710fab22bba0b15dfdd6fc040d77.jpg

Is there any rule to add armor to certain parts? Like only shoulders, or shin guards or wrist guards?

Curmudgeon
2015-12-01, 04:45 AM
Is there any rule to add armor to certain parts? Like only shoulders, or shin guards or wrist guards?
In D&D? No. In real life? There's a reason for greaves ("shin guards"): the tibia is a bone very close to the surface of the skin, and easy to break with a moderate blow to the front of the shin.

VoxRationis
2015-12-01, 10:23 AM
That crossbow has two triggers: a tiny one near the hand of its (undersized) wielder, and a normally-proportioned one further up the stock. Why is this? Did the artist just not know the function of the normal trigger?

PallentisLunam
2015-12-01, 02:40 PM
In D&D? No. In real life? There's a reason for greaves ("shin guards"): the tibia is a bone very close to the surface of the skin, and easy to break with a moderate blow to the front of the shin.

Well that's not entirely true. OA has dastana but other than that you're correct.

That crossbow has two triggers: a tiny one near the hand of its (undersized) wielder, and a normally-proportioned one further up the stock. Why is this? Did the artist just not know the function of the normal trigger?

I think that the bit which looks like a proper trigger is supposed to be a guard for the wielder's forward hand. But agreed that the artist didnt know how a crossbow works and the whole weapon is way to big and very silly, I mean check out that stirrup.

I'm not sure I know where to start with categorizing the armor. The torso and the legs look like they're primarily leather and the shoulders down seem to be plate. Sooooooo, leather with dastana?

Edit: And a back quiver for a crossbow is just dumb. Adds way too much movement and you'll probably spill it when cocking the weapon

Knaight
2015-12-02, 01:18 AM

If we're talking about armor for only certain parts in real life, what really stands out is helmets. There's a reason that it was pretty common for the head to be better protected than everything else among more lightly armored warriors.

Curmudgeon
2015-12-02, 01:37 AM
If we're talking about armor for only certain parts in real life, what really stands out is helmets. There's a reason that it was pretty common for the head to be better protected than everything else among more lightly armored warriors.
Yes, and look at bare-headed blondie there. :smallbiggrin:

PallentisLunam
2015-12-02, 01:39 AM

I think back in older editions (2nd and before) helmets even averted a certain percentage of critical hits. I might be mistaken though.

Dusk Raven
2015-12-02, 01:57 AM
I think that the bit which looks like a proper trigger is supposed to be a guard for the wielder's forward hand. But agreed that the artist didnt know how a crossbow works and the whole weapon is way to big and very silly, I mean check out that stirrup.

It's stuff like this that makes me wish I knew more about medieval weaponry. Here I am, thinking I'm all knowledgeable and such, and here I am just like, "...Huh?" Granted, crossbows are not exactly my favorite weapon so I don't write about them unless I have to, but still.

Also, to the OP, where are these images from?

PallentisLunam
2015-12-02, 02:03 AM
It's stuff like this that makes me wish I knew more about medieval weaponry. Here I am, thinking I'm all knowledgeable and such, and here I am just like, "...Huh?" Granted, crossbows are not exactly my favorite weapon so I don't write about them unless I have to, but still.

It's really not all that hard to get into. I could link a few Youtubers if you'd like, guys who practice hema and who collect/are knowledgeable about historical weapons and fighting styles.

Dusk Raven
2015-12-02, 02:08 AM
It's really not all that hard to get into. I could link a few Youtubers if you'd like, guys who practice hema and who collect/are knowledgeable about historical weapons and fighting styles.

That would certainly be appreciated. Perhaps one of them is already on my to-watch list. But yeah, historical weapons really fascinate me, and given my preference for fantasy writing, it's pretty important to know.

PallentisLunam
2015-12-02, 02:32 AM
So best source for actual historical weapons, forms, scholarly junk plus a good helping of HEMA and a dash of general nerdiness i present Matt Easton of Scholagladiatoria (https://www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria)

For fantasy weapon reviews as well as actual product testing and general informed opinions with a side of social commentary and some pretty cool sparing videos Skallagrim (https://www.youtube.com/user/SkallagrimNilsson)

And finally he's alittle ranty for my tastes some of the time but he does make some good points Lindybeige (https://www.youtube.com/user/lindybeige)

Those should get you started. You might have to dig some to find videos that you like since they all cover tons of different subjects but 95% of their content is good stuff if you ask me

Knaight
2015-12-02, 03:10 AM
Yes, and look at bare-headed blondie there. :smallbiggrin:

No kidding. Face protection is one thing, given the very real tradeoffs involving vision and overheating, but there's absolutely no reason for the guy not to be wearing a helmet that protects the top and back of the head. It's pretty terrible armor in general, but that particular omission is probably the worst of it.

Vogie
2015-12-02, 09:38 AM

The only trigger is the one in the back, the one in the middle is a combination handguard and mounting hook. It looks far too large and immobile to be a squeeze trigger.

I am confused, though, about the front. It looks like it has a stirrup for loading, but has crossbeams that would make it nigh-impossible to put your foot into...

Zaetar
2015-12-02, 02:16 PM
This is why i love the playground, the criticism is real. The thing is, I started this thread because some friends have been bugging me on getting a picture of my character so everyone can have an idea of everyone else and some people chose, well... modern game characters, you know the ones with pauldrons larger than their shields and whatnot.

For example This guy (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8b/76/21/8b7621f88f121e9d1bdfda596873cf57.jpg) has nothing silly except the lack of helmet and the abnormal large body, but is it realist? Well, the armor might aswell be.

Its kind of difficult to make a character in a moderate/high fantasy campaign to look heroic/epic without crossing the line to the land of sillyness.

But then again, look at Aragorn, the guy is the hero, champion, general and king of the humans and the guy did not get past light armor.

Google -> "fantasy character rpg pinterest" -> was in one of the many collections you'll find.

Fouredged Sword
2015-12-02, 02:37 PM
How about this one?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/81/ad/71/81ad710fab22bba0b15dfdd6fc040d77.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb and be different. I call that Studded Leather armor with decorative pauldrons. The core is clearly covered by nothing better than leather.

PallentisLunam
2015-12-02, 03:35 PM
This is why i love the playground, the criticism is real. The thing is, I started this thread because some friends have been bugging me on getting a picture of my character so everyone can have an idea of everyone else and some people chose, well... modern game characters, you know the ones with pauldrons larger than their shields and whatnot.

For example This guy (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8b/76/21/8b7621f88f121e9d1bdfda596873cf57.jpg) has nothing silly except the lack of helmet and the abnormal large body, but is it realist? Well, the armor might aswell be.

Its kind of difficult to make a character in a moderate/high fantasy campaign to look heroic/epic without crossing the line to the land of sillyness.

But then again, look at Aragorn, the guy is the hero, champion, general and king of the humans and the guy did not get past light armor.

Well his axe is positively ridiculous especially as a one handed weapon and his shield and pauldrons aren't far behind from a realistic stand point. Other than that the only thing I would point out is that his tassets, the plate bits that guard his hips and upper thighs, appear to be held in place by riveted leather, which is fine except that the leather should be on the inside of the metal.

I think if you can find someone with artistic talent it's actually pretty easy to make some one look cool without looking silly if you don't define cool as having lots of spikes everywhere or having all your gear be twice as big as it should be. But I do have to admit, when I can get the part of my brain that says that's entirely impractical/unusable to shut up and sit down for a minute, some of what you describe as "modern game characters" do look pretty bad ass, they would die instantly, probably from self inflicted wounds, but they'd look cool while doing it.

VoxRationis
2015-12-02, 04:14 PM
But I do have to admit, when I can get the part of my brain that says that's entirely impractical/unusable to shut up and sit down for a minute, some of what you describe as "modern game characters" do look pretty bad ass, they would die instantly, probably from self inflicted wounds, but they'd look cool while doing it.

Eh, such artwork is too over-the-top for me to get behind at all. I practically swoon when I see an illustration with well-articulated, practical armor, but the thousand-belted, spiky-pauldroned muscle-man figures are too visually busy and just kind of nauseatingly excessive, and I hate seeing a half-naked woman in a combat zone.

MorgromTheOrc
2015-12-02, 04:16 PM
Well his axe is positively ridiculous especially as a one handed weapon and his shield and pauldrons aren't far behind from a realistic stand point. Other than that the only thing I would point out is that his tassets, the plate bits that guard his hips and upper thighs, appear to be held in place by riveted leather, which is fine except that the leather should be on the inside of the metal.

I think if you can find someone with artistic talent it's actually pretty easy to make some one look cool without looking silly if you don't define cool as having lots of spikes everywhere or having all your gear be twice as big as it should be. But I do have to admit, when I can get the part of my brain that says that's entirely impractical/unusable to shut up and sit down for a minute, some of what you describe as "modern game characters" do look pretty bad ass, they would die instantly, probably from self inflicted wounds, but they'd look cool while doing it.

I would argue that they look cool because of the fact they'd die so fast. I mean the idea of fighting that impractically but still winning(not dieing) regularly enough to be a hero, just makes them seem so much more skillful.

Dusk Raven
2015-12-02, 04:22 PM
Eh, such artwork is too over-the-top for me to get behind at all. I practically swoon when I see an illustration with well-articulated, practical armor, but the thousand-belted, spiky-pauldroned muscle-man figures are too visually busy and just kind of nauseatingly excessive, and I hate seeing a half-naked woman in a combat zone.

I tend to agree, though sometimes I let it slide if it doesn't seem to egregious. Except Chainmail Bikinis. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChainmailBikini) Those are always egregious.

You know, this is making me want to dig up various armor getups from the games I like, seeing how practical they are or how they might be improved. In my own writing, of course, armor is almost always the sort of stuff rank-and-file soldiers get, so it needs to be practical. That which isn't is explicitly magical, generally an artifact, and when a god sets about making a suit of armor, of course he's going to go for Rule of Cool. Besides, there's just something about armor with flair... provided the wearer has more than enough skill to back it up.

Zaetar
2015-12-02, 04:39 PM

That's merciless, lol. But yeah i see your point, brohug your bro and deal 2d10 damage from your armor spikes/blades/decoration to him.

Well, that would answer most of my questions/issues, so thanks!

If you guys are bored and still feel like being Simon Cowell, here is my little collection of characters (skipping magic users for obvious reasons), they are for Pathfinder so I'm also using archetypes for extra flavour. 3 tanks, 3 melee dpr, 2 ranged dpr (got a third but its an elf covered in leaves (http://i.imgur.com/psSqYk0.jpg)... so no). Dont hold yourselves back, give it to me straight.

Barbarian Jotunkin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/spes-magna-games---barbarian-archetypes/jotunkin)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/15/ef/f4/15eff492256068fd63d73dd455fb3136.jpg
Paladin Empyreal Knight (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/empyreal-knight)
(Apologies for the sword) https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b8/a7/d3/b8a7d346f0f4f6d8ace1468dd847959c.jpg
Fighter Polearm Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/polearm-master)
Note: Replacedhttps://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a9/2d/85/a92d85728700125672e7b4f4e49765b8.jpg

Paladin Divine Defender (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/divine-defender)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-NPX9buMGras/TYoAmYUk0WI/AAAAAAAAANc/lOSGRmAN_e4/s1600/lord_of_valor_by_chrisnfy85-d2y4q3s.jpg
Fighter Armor Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/armor-master)
Note: Replacedhttps://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e9/78/a3/e978a35bfe22cd9829e316b107d43027.jpg
Fighter Phalanx Soldier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/phalanx-soldier)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/60/bd/cd/60bdcde09087b3ef1f1b977ecd067123.jpg

Rogue Sniper (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/sniper)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/97/39/c2/9739c20fb07ee1b00180706fcb7caf5d.jpg
Fighter Peltast (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/rite-publishing---fighter-archetypes/peltast)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/38/04/45/380445ae748f90f0922ee8878b53c952.jpg

PallentisLunam
2015-12-02, 06:11 PM
Actually I don't have much to nitpick on most of those... ah who am I kidding I'll give it a shot anyways.

The barbarian's hammer is redonkulously huge and the spikes on the end of the handle are guaranteed to be a bad idea when you're swinging that much weight around and trying to maintain the proper leverage and forms but his armor, while missing a helmet and being more like heavy clothing than real armor, is perfectly fine.

The paladin, although lacking a helmet, is great all around from a practical standpoint. The decorations on the sword might be alittle silly but I'm perfectly fine with weapons as art just so long as they're functional art.

The polearm guy's helmet is worse than being unhelmeted. The design is really going to screw with his depth perception plus it'll get really hot under there, and the plumage seems to flow way too freely, if the wind blows the wrong way he won't be able to see anything at all. The rest of his armor? Perfect, but I'm not quite sure why he needs 3 belts and a bandolier that don't seem to be doing much.

Paladin #2 is alright. Pauldrons might be a touch silly but certainly not the worst I've seen. Again no helmet and from what I can see of his knees and hips I'm not convinced he could walk or run very well but I can't see much there so I'll let it slide

Armor master's armor is spot ******* on. Mace head is too big though and while it's not a problem per-say I am wondering why we went with leather cuisses, what protects the thigh below the tassets, instead of plate like everything else.

Phalanx soldier: Again no helmet (are we sensing a theme?) and this time no arm protection either and that is one beefy shield especially if it's solid metal.

Not a whole lot to say about the sniper. Can't see much but the leather looks soft as opposed to boiled so it would do much more than heavy clothing would. And no helmet.

Last guy is a great example of a light horse unit. Not much at all in the way of armor but that's kinda the point isn't it. The spears are well designed.

And for picture 1-4... this (https://youtu.be/M68ndaZSKa8?t=2m10s)

VoxRationis
2015-12-02, 06:15 PM
That's merciless, lol. But yeah i see your point, brohug your bro and deal 2d10 damage from your armor spikes/blades/decoration to him.

Well, that would answer most of my questions/issues, so thanks!

If you guys are bored and still feel like being Simon Cowell, here is my little collection of characters (skipping magic users for obvious reasons), they are for Pathfinder so I'm also using archetypes for extra flavour. 3 tanks, 3 melee dpr, 2 ranged dpr (got a third but its an elf covered in leaves (http://i.imgur.com/psSqYk0.jpg)... so no). Dont hold yourselves back, give it to me straight.

Barbarian Jotunkin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/spes-magna-games---barbarian-archetypes/jotunkin)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/15/ef/f4/15eff492256068fd63d73dd455fb3136.jpg
Paladin Empyreal Knight (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/empyreal-knight)
(Apologies for the sword) https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b8/a7/d3/b8a7d346f0f4f6d8ace1468dd847959c.jpg
Fighter Polearm Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/polearm-master)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a9/2d/85/a92d85728700125672e7b4f4e49765b8.jpg

Paladin Divine Defender (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/divine-defender)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-NPX9buMGras/TYoAmYUk0WI/AAAAAAAAANc/lOSGRmAN_e4/s1600/lord_of_valor_by_chrisnfy85-d2y4q3s.jpg
Fighter Armor Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/armor-master)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e9/78/a3/e978a35bfe22cd9829e316b107d43027.jpg
Fighter Phalanx Soldier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/phalanx-soldier)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/60/bd/cd/60bdcde09087b3ef1f1b977ecd067123.jpg

Rogue Sniper (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/sniper)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/97/39/c2/9739c20fb07ee1b00180706fcb7caf5d.jpg
Fighter Peltast (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/rite-publishing---fighter-archetypes/peltast)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/38/04/45/380445ae748f90f0922ee8878b53c952.jpg

Well, the peltast is not holding the shield (pelte) for which the unit type is named, for one thing. "Pelt" is a false friend; the fact that the peltast throws things has nothing to do with their name. If anything, the term "pelt" might come from the soldier; I'm not sure. Plus his quiver ends below the balance point of the spears, so they're going to fall out almost immediately.
The phalanx soldier has no helmet, which is pretty much a death sentence in a phalanx fight. Notice how all-covering hoplite helmets are compared with a Roman legionary's? That's because a phalanx involves having lots and lots of sharp spears stabbing every which way, with pretty much no room to parry or dodge. If a spear makes it past your shield, and you don't have a helmet, you will be missing a face.
The armor master's morningstar is ridiculously huge. The balance of the weapon would preclude it being used effectively, slowing down strokes and tiring the user.

Zaetar
2015-12-02, 06:33 PM
About helmets: Apparently artists prefer to not draw helmets because they prefer to draw a face, which will give more "face" to the character than a helmet. Other than that, I'm trying to find existing art that matches the look of my characters, if i knew how to draw them i wouldnt be here.

Barbarian: Best i could find that's not going full conan on people.

Polearm: Sadly, It's incredibly hard to find art for male polearm/spear users and that's the most realist one i could find... and by that I mean not this (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f3/1b/b5/f31bb5e06dd4c7f1bedd0665e9b7256c.jpg). Well,no, I lied I did find some other potential candidates... but this guy (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3b/c5/2e/3bc52e12186c6a081bb312c339253066.jpg) looks way too boring to be the hero of a story and this other one (http://36.media.tumblr.com/47d610bd39f58e0190f85872faacaabb/tumblr_mmd0xprgp21rdy3s5o1_500.png)... im not even sure why there is so much gold or brass there. If you find a better one you are welcome to suggest it.

Armor Master: Yeah uhmmm changed it in the last moment... I had this (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4f/87/18/4f8718644bd51c26f79e93b1bbb27f75.jpg) before.

Peltast: I dont pick the names, paizo does. Either way i'd play a javelin/spear thrower so i believe the guy in picture does the job.

VoxRationis
2015-12-02, 06:53 PM
Armor Master: Yeah uhmmm changed it in the last moment... I had this (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4f/87/18/4f8718644bd51c26f79e93b1bbb27f75.jpg) before.

That armor is ridiculous. The chest piece comes up too high and the helmet too low; they're going to catch on each other at inopportune times. The eyeslit for the helmet is excessively large (it goes all the way up to the forehead and down to the chin) and looks like it's going to compromise the structural integrity of the face. His shield is designed so that most of it is wasted; if he holds his hand in front of him, most of the shield will stick off to the side. The sword is patently too large—its grip indicates two-handed use, but obviously, this guy can't actually use it like that. The armor has visor-style eyeslits for no purpose on the chest and leg pieces, and seems to have a lot of wasted space where it sticks out far more than it has to to actually accommodate the wearer. The pauldrons are a bit large, but not enough to restrict movement, so it's not a big deal.

PallentisLunam
2015-12-02, 07:01 PM
That armor is ridiculous. The chest piece comes up too high and the helmet too low; they're going to catch on each other at inopportune times. The eyeslit for the helmet is excessively large (it goes all the way up to the forehead and down to the chin) and looks like it's going to compromise the structural integrity of the face. His shield is designed so that most of it is wasted; if he holds his hand in front of him, most of the shield will stick off to the side. The sword is patently too large—its grip indicates two-handed use, but obviously, this guy can't actually use it like that. The armor has visor-style eyeslits for no purpose on the chest and leg pieces, and seems to have a lot of wasted space where it sticks out far more than it has to to actually accommodate the wearer. The pauldrons are a bit large, but not enough to restrict movement, so it's not a big deal.

You forgot to mention that there are random holes in his armor specifically on the legs, arms, and chest.

Zaetar
2015-12-02, 07:05 PM
And that is the reason why i changed it. Or you can try and find me a plate mail + shield user that's less ridiculous than that.

PallentisLunam
2015-12-02, 07:08 PM
Well the main problem is that 95% of the population goes "Aww man that's AWESOME" and the other 5% of us say what the hell that would never work in a real fight, and artists produce for the 95% sooooooo....

Zaetar
2015-12-02, 07:26 PM
Got 2 replacements for the armor master.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1e/3a/1b/1e3a1b04ac10d6d010f198d96af2b96d.jpg
He likes to polish his armor...https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7c/f1/3e/7cf13eefc8c0604f4e85fdea506534f7.jpg

Do we have a winner?

PallentisLunam
2015-12-02, 07:33 PM
Horns are always a no go. The cross guard seems overly pronounced on the other possibility but other wise his armor seems sound.

Fouredged Sword
2015-12-02, 07:44 PM
2 looks good minus the horns. Giving your enemy a handle to grab is never a good idea.

Keltest
2015-12-02, 07:44 PM
Personally, im willing to be at least a bit more forgiving in a high fantasy (or sci fi) setting, because at that point armor's protection is less about actually covering things and more about how much magic you can load into the suit. I draw the line though when people start making the armor bulkier than it should be, because that is not only impeding yourself, it defies the point of enchanting the armor in the first place.

VoxRationis
2015-12-02, 07:56 PM
I'm not sure why the shield in 2 has that kind of 2nd rim on it. As for 1, where are the upper-arm guards? There's a rather noticeable gap between the pauldrons and the elbow guards.

PallentisLunam
2015-12-02, 08:00 PM
I'm not sure why the shield in 2 has that kind of 2nd rim on it. As for 1, where are the upper-arm guards? There's a rather noticeable gap between the pauldrons and the elbow guards.

What about the 3rd rim, just silly in general.

Zaetar
2015-12-02, 08:00 PM
Found few replacements for the Polearm Master. Note: it's supposed to be swift and maneuverable.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/75/10/00/751000dd439d64912fc9922e7c9f689e.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3smtPL0KviE/UUh4fbhEFHI/AAAAAAAAFAQ/gfVp1Gv4j7Y/s1600/+Me-HalfOrcSpearFighter.png
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-x_6wriuzi7g/UGUUOpfdXwI/AAAAAAAABsY/k-ahz6Eho0s/s1600/Glaiver_1stConcept_WEB.jpg

PallentisLunam
2015-12-02, 08:02 PM
All are passable, all are seriously lacking in middle limb protection (humorous/femur) . This is assuming helmets (not included in 1 & 2)

Broken Crown
2015-12-02, 08:09 PM
Armour master 1 looks almost like a good suit of armour. But then the artist went and made the tassets too short and left a gap between them and the top of the thigh armour, which is just begging someone to come along and stab the wearer in the femoral artery. Likewise the large and pointless gaps around the elbow guards.

Armour master 2 is so visually busy, I'm not even sure what I'm looking at. It seems to suffer from the common flaw of having excessive multiple layers of protection in some places while leaving other areas virtually unprotected, though.

Âmesang
2015-12-02, 08:11 PM
Well, he is a ranger, after all… :smallbiggrin:

That's not a knight. That's a medieval Mobile Suit Gundam cosplayer. :smalltongue:

Dusk Raven
2015-12-02, 08:46 PM
You know, it's really annoying when you change the pictures in your post after criticism on it. I was looking at the polearm master and was all, "But... he doesn't have a helmet..." in response to someone's comment, and all the while I was wondering where the guy with the asymmetrical helmet went. I was curious about the helmet, but I figured it would only be good if you had one eye. Or a magical eye.

Zaetar
2015-12-02, 08:58 PM
You know, it's really annoying when you change the pictures in your post after criticism on it. I was looking at the polearm master and was all, "But... he doesn't have a helmet..." in response to someone's comment, and all the while I was wondering where the guy with the asymmetrical helmet went. I was curious about the helmet, but I figured it would only be good if you had one eye. Or a magical eye.

Oh apologies bout that gonna change them back. Just didnt want to make someone that started reading this from the start to say something about something that i already changed because i didnt update the pictures.

Dusk Raven
2015-12-02, 09:00 PM
Oh apologies bout that gonna change them back. Just didnt want to make someone that started reading this from the start to say something about something that i already changed because i didnt update the pictures.

A valid concern. Though you could put a little note that says REDACTED or something, that might do the trick.

Zaetar
2015-12-02, 09:07 PM
A valid concern. Though you could put a little note that says REDACTED or something, that might do the trick.

Done, i was also thinking it does look a bit more on the "master" side of polearm master than the half-orc with a spear... why is it so hard to find what i like? It's the internet for crying out loud. If it was female though i'd be done in 5 minutes with twice the amount of characters... damn artists...

Misery Esquire
2015-12-02, 09:07 PM
That's not a knight. That's a medieval Mobile Suit Gundam cosplayer. :smalltongue:

Upside ; anyone trying to kill you has to be really dedicated to get through that Sherman worth of steel.

Downside ; you'll probably die in that getup without their help, regardless.

Zaetar
2015-12-02, 09:22 PM
Possible replacement for Phalanx Soldier?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d8/cf/55/d8cf5533646322acfdf7093512a6044b.jpg

A bit too "heroic" maybe?

PallentisLunam
2015-12-03, 10:25 AM
Imagery aside the gear looks fine.

VoxRationis
2015-12-03, 11:04 AM
Too gold and shiny for a common soldier—probably a unit leader at the least—but otherwise all right. The head of the spear is a bit long, and it'll make it hard to extend forward, but that's kind of quibbly.

Fouredged Sword
2015-12-03, 11:27 AM
Too gold and shiny for a common soldier—probably a unit leader at the least—but otherwise all right. The head of the spear is a bit long, and it'll make it hard to extend forward, but that's kind of quibbly.

I think it's supposed to be bronze. It's Roman looking and they didn't have great and cheap iron at that point.

Zaetar
2015-12-03, 01:11 PM
Will save it for levels 15-20 when a empire/kingdom asks me to lead them to the 475th final battle.

VoxRationis
2015-12-03, 01:34 PM
I think it's supposed to be bronze. It's Roman looking and they didn't have great and cheap iron at that point.

If he's using a rectangular scutum, iron armor is appropriate.

Fouredged Sword
2015-12-03, 01:35 PM
If he's using a rectangular scutum, iron armor is appropriate.

Yeah, but the artist clearly is thinking in terms of non-iron armor. Ether that, or it is an over-application of yellow light tinting the whole view.

Dusk Raven
2015-12-03, 01:46 PM

Actually, from what I know, they did have cheap iron - they used it in their weapons, after all - but it takes a lot of know-how to make decent steel, and bronze was better at the time. The main reason iron came into widespread use was after the collapse of the overland trade routes that transported tin and copper (which are found in totally different places for the most part) after the fall of the Roman Empire, and people wanted something that could substitute for it.

As for the armor, I interpreted the golden color as part lightning and part "heroic filter" if that makes sense - pretty much a shot being deliberately framed to emphasize the larger-than-life qualities (or in this case the color) of the subject.

Fouredged Sword
2015-12-03, 01:53 PM
That is the reason I stated "Cheap and good." Romans could do cheap iron. They could do good iron. They could not do good iron cheaply. The bad iron they had was fragile and tended to shatter. The hardness of the iron made for good penetration and the fragility was a non-issue on javelin tips that only intended to be single use. Armor needs to be tough, not just hard.