PDA

View Full Version : super shooter

thatwolfguy
2007-06-06, 05:39 PM
does this work?

i cast "Find The Gap" which says "your first melee or ranged attack each round is resolved as a touch attack" then each round you use "manyshot" to shoot as many arrows as you are capable of with one shot.

with manyshot, "you may fire two arrows at a single opponent within 30 feet. both arrows use the same attack roll (with a -4 penalty) to determine success"

now, if that works, and you have enough levels to shoot more arrows, it should work on all of your arrows, right?

finally, if you manage to cast "hunters mercy" which makes "your first hit with a bow in the next round automtically a critical hit" - i know it is only the first arrow of your manyshot shot that deals critical damage, but you can really mess up a dragon with that combo - if it works....

does it work? am i missing something that would make this not correct?

thanks

dave

Rincewind
2007-06-06, 05:41 PM
does it work? am i missing something that would make this not correct?

my brain hurts...

Shoyliguad
2007-06-06, 05:44 PM
well you might want a wand of haste to let you cast everything but it sounds good

Counterpower
2007-06-06, 05:45 PM
Hmmm......... I don't see any major problems with it, but then again I'm not a RAW master anyway.

Oh: Manyshot caps at 4 arrows.

As a standard action, you may fire two arrows at a single opponent within 30 feet. Both arrows use the same attack roll (with a -4 penalty) to determine success and deal damage normally (but see Special).

For every five points of base attack bonus you have above +6, you may add one additional arrow to this attack, to a maximum of four arrows at a base attack bonus of +16. However, each arrow after the second adds a cumulative -2 penalty on the attack roll (for a total penalty of -6 for three arrows and -8 for four).

Damage reduction and other resistances apply separately against each arrow fired.

I don't know how much damage you could do at lvl 16 with 4 arrows, but somehow I doubt it's the 253 HP that a CR 15 adult red dragon has. It's a cool tactic, and I like the idea. Really messing up a dragon? I don't know about that.

Damionte
2007-06-06, 06:53 PM
The combi would work but seems a bit of a waste as far as actions go. Most archers being based on fighter-ish builds have no trouble hitting pretty much anythign they want to hit anyway. so why blow two rounds casting spells just to set up your shot when you could have simply fired another two rounds of arrows instead?

I understand how the combo could work. It would be more of a special circumstance type of assault though. Most of the time you sinmply wouldn't need ot do it.

Fawsto
2007-06-06, 09:54 PM
Get 2 archmages and a Arcane archer or Bow Order Initiate and you have cheese.

Arbitrarity
2007-06-06, 09:59 PM
Master thrower > This

:smallbiggrin:

Piccamo
2007-06-06, 10:00 PM
Get 2 archmages and a Arcane archer or Bow Order Initiate and you have cheese.

Fixed. It doesn't matter how many attacks you have per round if they're not doing anything.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-07, 11:24 AM
Master thrower > This

:smallbiggrin:

You can't manyshot daggers, and the whole point of this is so that you can still hit with your massive manyshot penalty.

Leon
2007-06-07, 11:38 AM
Maybe a small white dragon....

one thing that comes to mind is windwall and all your effort is for moot

Person_Man
2007-06-07, 12:41 PM
Most successful archer builds that I've seen use Cleric, Soulbow, or Peerless Archer (3.0 material, Silver Marches).

A Cleric can cast Divine Power, Greater Magic Weapon, and numerous buff spells. Takes Zen Archery. They buy a really powerful magic bow and rain death on their enemies, often from behind a Blade Barrier or something similar. They can also use Divine Might to add their Cha to damage by burning Turn Undead uses.

A Soulbow can add its Wis to damage, and can enhance its arrows with various magical properties each morning (including Bane, which can be changed to whatever you're going to kill that day). Takes Zen Archery. They buy a really powerful magical bow and deal respectable damage, and because nothing they do depends on precision damage or spell range, they can do it from the other side of the battlefield.

Peerless Archer can use Power Attack for its bow, has full BAB plus some Sneak Attack, ignores concealment, and can manufacture its own magical arrows.

Most other archer builds I'm aware of suffer from very poorly scaled damage. You could make a good argument for a Rogue 3/Swash X (full Sneak Attack, 19/20 BAB), but then you're screwed against anything immune to Precision damage.

Also its worth mentioning that traditional archers (rangers, fighters, rogues, etc) are the bottom of the combat food chain. Spellcasters are spellcasters, with a huge array of spells and abilities. Melee builds are there to deal respectable damage each turn, but more importantly they threaten some area of the battlefield, controlling the movement of enemies (to varying degrees). Traditional archers deal sub-par damage, have a mediocre spell selection (if any), and don't control anyone's movement on the battlefield. It's a good idea if you're a squishy Rogue and want to avoid being killed, but for the most part, you're the weakest PC on the battlefield.

Dark Tira
2007-06-07, 01:14 PM
You can't manyshot daggers, and the whole point of this is so that you can still hit with your massive manyshot penalty.

No but a Master thrower can TWF Tree+ Flurry + Doubletoss shuriken for a possible 16 shuriken at a +16 BAB. Still off topic but fun trivia.

thatwolfguy
2007-06-13, 09:16 AM
The combi would work but seems a bit of a waste as far as actions go. Most archers being based on fighter-ish builds have no trouble hitting pretty much anythign they want to hit anyway. so why blow two rounds casting spells just to set up your shot when you could have simply fired another two rounds of arrows instead?

I understand how the combo could work. It would be more of a special circumstance type of assault though. Most of the time you sinmply wouldn't need ot do it.

well, the reason that i need the boost to hit is that i'm playing a centaur who has 23 HD, (starts off with like 7 hd or something like that) and only like 13 levels of ranger, so even though i'm actually lvl 23 (and my party is all lvl 21's besides me) i only have like 16 class levels. the other members of my party are also various races that start of with multiple hit dice, so they have limited class levels. we're facing epic lvl monsters without epic level classes. granted our ECL or whatever is higher than our actual class levels, but in some cases it just doesn't make up for the difference. so anything that increases my ability to actually connect with an attack helps.

we did actually face a dragon who's AC was fairly high, but because his touch AC was so low, this combo made it easier for me to hit.