PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [Pathfinder] Running a Race

Faolan7
2015-11-29, 04:11 AM
Hey! I'm trying to make a race on my campaign, but I'm having trouble with how to do it functionally. I was thinking I could use some sort of Constitution check, but because the race I plan on using is more of a sprint than a long-distance race, I'm not sure on how it should be done. I looked at the chase rules on the SRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/), but I don't want to use obstacles; just a straight-up 100m dash.

BWR
2015-11-29, 05:18 AM
I've had similar problems for my games. I generally reduce it to a Strength check but have considered a Dexterity check (strength to push yourself harder, Dexterity because it's the quickness ability). You can have a single roll for most sprints because it is short and straightforward. If you wish you can introduce a general Athletics skill that includes things like running, various sports and games and general physical activity not covered by Acrobatics. Alternatively you can use Acrobatics, possibly with a penalty since it isn't directly a skill that aids or keys off speed or endurance.

You have to factor in that all creatures have a base movement speed. Sure, this is combat based but it should serve well enough for non-combat base speed as well. If everyone has the same base movement speed a simple highest roll on the sort of check you decide to use is sufficient to determine the winner. Other than that, take the lowest movement speed as the base and for every 5 feet more of movement a contestant has, add a bonus to their roll (I've waffled between +2 to be nice to players and +5 to show that the extra movement is really useful).

Faolan7
2015-11-29, 05:56 AM
The race is at the end of an obstacle course, so I think I'd use Strength, because I think Dexterity would mostly be used at the very beginning. The Dexterity would be like a reaction to the "go." I run cross country, so I'm probably making this too complicated for it, but that should help. Athletics in 5e is a Strength skill too, so it makes sense to use that. I think I'll end up using the +2 for movement however. There is a decent mix of humans and dwarves, and one of the players is a halfling, and I don't want to give anyone a huge advantage (+10 is huge). Thanks though!

Anonymouswizard
2015-11-29, 07:06 AM
For a short race, like yours, I think Strength for how much power you can put into a stride is reasonable. For a longer race I'd rule it as either a Con or Wis check, player chooses (do you try to endure or pace yourself?)

Faolan7
2015-11-29, 01:36 PM
I didn't think about using Wisdom to pace yourself. That's a really good idea.

Crake
2015-11-29, 10:48 PM
I believe there's already a section regarding this, but it's for chase scenes. I believe the gist of it was this: Fastest speed wins, if speeds are equal, then over short distance highest dex wins roll opposed dex checks, over long distance, highest con wins, if equal con/dex, roll off to see who wins roll opposed con checks.

Edit: Found the actual rules here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/exploration-movement). Scroll down until you get to evasion and pursuit.

Faolan7
2015-11-30, 12:19 AM
Okay, cool. I'll use that then. I must've missed it when I searched for it earlier.

Crake
2015-11-30, 01:12 AM
The highest con/dex = auto win thing is something I personally use, just wasn't sure if it was a houserule when I initially posted it. I use that rule for a fair few other things too, like highest strength auto wins in an armwrestle, and only roll off for equal str characters, because it just honestly doesn't make sense for someone with 18 con to lose to someone with 8 con over a marathon simply because the 18 con rolled badly and the 8 con rolled well.

Faolan7
2015-11-30, 02:02 PM
In the case of an 18 Con character beating an 8 Con character, the 18 Con could have been cocky, or started out too fast, so they didn't pace himself, while 8 Con paced himself.

Crake
2015-12-01, 01:24 AM
In the case of an 18 Con character beating an 8 Con character, the 18 Con could have been cocky, or started out too fast, so they didn't pace himself, while 8 Con paced himself.

I could maaaybe see that in a case of 14 vs 18, but 8 vs 18, naaaah. Pinnacle of human endurance vs chronically ill weakling, that just doesn't happen.

Faolan7
2015-12-01, 07:17 PM
True, I forget that the scores actually mean things.