PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on house rules

PerasThorngage
2007-06-06, 07:02 PM
Haven Rules

Starting Rules

All heroes start with the ability scores below and a bonus feat.
18--15--15--14--13--11

Races:

Half Elves gain Improved Initiative as a bonus feat

Half Orcs gain Iron Will as a bonus feat and gain a +2 on Survival and Intimidate Checks.

Dwarves receive a -2 to dexterity instead of a -2 to charisma

Tieflings suffer no ability penalty

Classes:

All classes that normally gain 2 + Int modifier for skills now gain 4 + Int Modifier for amount of skills learned.

Fighters use the alternate fighter listed under the Haven classes below.
(This is similair to Fax Celestis fighter with some of my own adjustments, to focus more on single combat and less on leading men)

Sorcerers ignore Somatic and Verbal components, and materials components costing under five gold. In addition whenever sorcerer spell levels are gained you gain one additional known spell per spell level, and one additional spell a day. They also gain a +1 to caster level for purposes of spell effects, duration, and caster level checks at 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level. Identifying a spell cast by a sorcerer has a +5 to the DC.

Paladins gain at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th level a bonus feat. As well they gain the Weapon of the Crusader class ability listed under the Classes of Haven section. (This ability allows the paladin to summon a magical weapon that is used in the fight against evil, but is more there to make it worthwhile to go 20 paladin.)

Barbarians gain at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th level a bonus feat. In addition they gain fasting healing 1 per six levels starting at 1 at first level.

Monks gain a +1 to attack and damage every 4 levels starting at +1 at first level. In addition a monk can enchant his body as a single weapon, this ability costs nothing but is limited to a +1 bonus every three levels to a maximum of a +6 weapon at 18th level, a monk can “save” a bonus to gain greater abilities such as holy or speed.

Rogues gain at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th level a bonus luck, ambush, or action point feat.

Bards know one additional spell per spell level, and cast one additional spell per day per spell level. In addition Bards gain a bonus action point, bard song, or luck feat every four levels.

Rangers gain an animal companion as if they were a druid of their level, instead of a druid of their level -3.

Magic:

Spells that are extremely effective ( I.E. Dominate Person, Feeblemind, Slow now give the defender a +3 on their saves against these spells.)

Divine Power and Righteous Might now function as Tenser’s transformation (I.E. you prefer combat over all forms of spell casting or magic use, and thus cannot cast spells, or use spell completion items while these spells are in effect.)

Teleport and Teleport, Greater now can only be used to travel to a place the caster has personally been or to a direction and distance ( I.E. five thousand miles north), and cannot be used just based on scrying or legend lore.

Cure and Inflict Spells cast by clerics have no save.

Repair and Inflict Damage spells now deal damage or repair damage to non magical objects. These spells deal full or repair full damage ignoring hardness.

The healing domain instead of granting +1 caster level changes the die rolled by one size category ( I.E. instead of rolling d8s you would roll d10s).

2nd level spell Darkness creates a globe of total darkness, not shadowy illumination
As the 3.5 version states.

Boost Spells of 2nd level (I.E. Bull’s Strength, Bear’s Endurance) last 10 minutes/level

1st and 4th level Orb spells are now evocation spells.

Mordenkainen’s Disjunction now only negates magical items for 10 minutes/level. And it cannot be used to destroy artifacts. It does have a 5% chance to destroy magic items.

Summon Monster and Summon Nature’s Ally can only summon a maximum of 3 creatures.

Feats:

Combat Expertise use with a shield +1 extra dodge bonus to Armor Class.

Dodge feat now applies a +1 dodge bonus to all attackers

Two Weapon Fighting both weapons gain full strength for damage.
As well all two weapon fighting feats now need the shown dexterity minus 2, as a minimum prerequisite.
In addition there is no longer improved two weapon fighting, or greater two weapon fighting, these feats are now gained simply with reaching base attack of +6 or +11 and having two weapon fighting. (I.E. A fighter that picked up two weapon fighting at first level would gain improved two weapon fighting for free upon reaching a BAB of +6.)

Natural Spell, Divine meta magic, and Persistent Spell do not exist.

Skills:

Hide and Move Silently is replaced by Stealth (Dex).

Listen and Spot are replaced with Awareness (Wis)

If an item would have given a bonus to one of these skills it now gives bonus to the replacement skill.

Special: An item or ability that gives a bonus to one skill and the other does not stack the highest bonus is counted.

Alertness feat now applies a bonus to Awareness (Wis) and Search (Int).
Stealthy feat now applies a bonus to Stealth (Dex) and Disguise (Cha).

The DC for concentration checks to cast defensively is now 10+enemy base attack bonus+ spell level. In example casting a first level spell against a fifth level fighter would require a concentration check DC 16, but casting the same spell against a tenth level fighter would require a DC 21.

Combat:

Characters may take advantage of the Unarmored Variant present in the Unearthed Arcana book on page 110. With the exception that you lose this bonus when flat-footed, but it is still counted for touch armor class.
Special: Whenever a class grants a bonus to armor class for using light or no armor, the character must use the armor rating for that class to take advantage of the class bonus.

Characters that normally gain heavy armor proficiency can only gain up to medium benefits in Unarmored Variant bonuses to armor class.

Table: Defense Bonus
Level A1 B2 C3 D4
None Light Medium Heavy
1st +2 +3 +4 +6
2nd +2 +3 +4 +6
3rd +3 +4 +5 +7
4th +3 +4 +5 +7
5th +3 +4 +5 +7
6th +4 +5 +6 +8
7th +4 +5 +6 +8
8th +4 +5 +6 +8
9th +5 +6 +7 +9
10th +5 +6 +7 +9
11th +5 +6 +7 +9
12th +6 +7 +8 +10
13th +6 +7 +8 +10
14th +6 +7 +8 +10
15th +7 +8 +9 +11
16th +7 +8 +9 +11
17th +7 +8 +9 +11
18th +8 +9 +10 +12
19th +8 +9 +10 +12
20th +8 +9 +10 +12

Heavy Unarmored Proficiency can now be taken as a feat with the prerequisites of
Heavy Armor Proficiency, BAB 10+.

Action Points

Charisma now has a use other than giving bonuses to skills! Action points at each level are this listed amount plus Cha modifier. This only uses your “inherent” charisma, much like bonus skill points from intelligence only uses your inherent intelligence. Thus, a Cloak of Charisma won't give you more action points.

Action points are gained every level, and do not carry over from previous levels. They can be used to alter any d20 roll, or to alter the luck of the character in a favorable way.

Levels Dice Rolled Number of Points
1-8 1d6 2
9-14 2d6 4
15-20 3d6 6

Well this is pretty much the rules for my game, I realize its somewhat lengthy but I think they are nice. Figured I'd get any insight or criticism I could regarding them that I could.

Also the reasoning for bonus feats for all classes is done mainly with the idea of every splat book normally gives the power three at least 20-30 new spells. However for the rest of the non spellcasting world you still have the same six feats that you had at the beginning. I think it adds alittle more diversity and flavor to peoples characters.

Sorry about any poor punctuation and grammar, I know I'm not the best.

Friendly neighborhood DM

Matthew
2007-06-14, 11:21 PM
Seems okay to me. Anything in particular you are worried might be unbalancing?