PDA

View Full Version : [IC] The Trailblazer's League <Part 1.5>: Downtime Adventures with Stray and Brigitte

Lord Of Mantas
2015-11-29, 11:22 AM
The Lord of Mantas presents
A Pathfinder Tabletop RPG Adventure
THE TRAILBLAZER'S LEAGUE
Downtime Adventures with Stray and Brigitte

http://pre08.deviantart.net/dbc3/th/pre/f/2014/054/3/9/___enchanted_fairy_forest____by_sangrde-d77q746.jpg

It had been a few months since the fateful venture of Guardian, Mirana, Stray, Brigitte, Auva, and "Jamie" (real name Kiriel, not that anyone in the league besides Christoph knew that) to the little village of Woodshaven, where they had found incredible wealth beyond their wildest imagination. In that time, word of the Trailblazer's deeds had spread far and wide across Andoran, as gossip snowballed and bards embellished. And given the magnitude of what had happened, it was suprisingly not far off.

When one charms a hydra, there's not much you can do to embellish the truth.

Stray and the others, for their part, had been busy putting their newfound wealth to work, as the fey prince instructed his new apprentice and follower Pun-Pun in the art of sorcery - particularly when it came to crafting magical items. His first task was to enhance Jamie's sword, keening the blade and applying a new layer of runes to enhance its potency. Stray, in the meantime, was hard at work creating a variety of items for himself - one of which was his new pride and joy, an artifact of legend called the Lyre of Building.

And so it is that our little interquel begins as Stray has just finished his latest project...

"Are you sssure that was a good idea, Lord Ssstray?"

Piggybacking aboard his master as the two soared over the walls of Almas, with the guards none the wiser, the red kobold nervously looked upon his fey master."A magnificccent performance, but what if someone tracesss the statue back to us?"

Regardless of Stray's reply, the two eventually made their way back to the League Lodge - only to be greeted by none other than Christoph himself, two guards flanking him.

"There you are, Stray." The usually carefree attitude the leader of the League had was nowhere to be seen, a slight look of nervousness on his face. "So, you remember how you asked for me to try and get the Andoran government to stop logging in the Darkmoon Vale? Well, I've got good news and bad news about that - and I think we should be sitting down while we relate it."
It was about 9:00 in the evening, and Brigitte had been sitting in the mess hall looking over some prospective blueprints from the engineering department when she heard the patter of feet approaching. Turning her head, she was greeted with a rather surprising sight, as none other than the fourth and newest Crazy Old Coot, Dopethrone the Dull, approached her.

"Hey, Brigitte! Finally managed to track you down." Stopping to cough briefly - which, surprisingly, he took the time to procure a handkerchief for - Dopethrone resumed his spiel in short order.

"So... I never, like, bothered to thank you and the rest for hirin' me on, y'know? This place has much better vibes than the last place I worked at, man. Pay's better, I can see the sun, no-one really bothers me all that much... The garden's coming in rather nicely, too." Dopethrone awkwardly rubbed his right arm. "So, like, I haven't been able to track down that Jamie or Stray dude, and Auva already said no. What would you think about stoppin' by my office, takin' some time to take a puff on the ol' hookah? I got some real good Ganja I've been saving for a special occasion, man."

What do you do?

Nefarion Xid
2015-11-29, 02:27 PM
"If anyone in Almas guesses that I made the statue, I assume they'll be grateful or impressed. He's pointing his sword straight at Egorian! How cool is that? Answer: extremely," Stray quips over his shoulder.

Touching down at the lodge, and greeted by Christoph, Stray helps Pun-Pun climb down. He grits his teeth at Christoph's news. "Your office then. Just the two of us. I wouldn't want our subordinates learning any new curse words."

Othniel
2015-11-29, 08:50 PM
"I would be delighted, Dopethrone," Brigitte agreed. She started folding up the blueprints and putting away the other documents and objects surrounding her. "These blueprints will keep until another time, after all. Did you want to go now, or do you have a better time in mind?"

Lord Of Mantas
2015-11-29, 10:43 PM
Christoph raised a hand. "Easy, sailor. I did say there was some good news. Though of course..." Trailing off, Christoph nodded to the two initiates flanking him, who saluted and departed elsewhere. Pun-Pun, in the meantime, looked up at Stray.

"If it pleasesss your Lordssship, I'll be in the Dancing Dragon down at Portssside doing... um... thingsss."

Pending no objection from his master, Pun-Pun then proceeded to totter off into the darkness.

Leading Stray up to his office, Christoph pulled out one of the plusher chairs for Stray before settling into his own beside his desk, then calling out. "Dea- er, Scarlett, if you would bring out the usual?" A light blush tinged Christoph's face as he accidentally let the errant term of endearment slip, Scarlett appearing shortly thereafter. Pouring out a highball of 4699 Founder's Whiskey, Stray's eye could not help but be drawn to the diamond ring on Scarlett's left hand.

It had been three months after the incident at Woodshaven, Stray recalled, when it had happened. Since then, Christoph and Scarlett had been seen in each other's company a lot more than usual, and then it all came to a head when, at the Summer Solstice festival, Christoph had apparently not only 'forgotten' to order the traditional hookers, but had apparently ducked early out of the party. Next they were seen, Scarlett had the ring, they'd worked up a fine sheen of sweat, and both of their outfits were suspiciously wrinkled.

After a polite greeting, Scarlett excused herself, and Christoph cleared his throat.

"So, good news. Thanks to the hundreds of thousands of gold coins you earned for us, as well as the may more we've earned from renovating, renting, and researching the Sanctum, I've got enough of the People's Council on our side that we weren't immediately laughed out. Bad news is, there's still not enough for the two-thirds majority required to pass the motion to cease logging."

"However, I think we have a way out. The Council is calling a meeting tomorrow to discuss this, among other things, and they've requested your presence. And if anyone has a way with words it's you."
"Nah, nah, come on now. No time like the present."

Leading Brigitte up through the winding corridors and staircases of the lodge, Dopethrone and Brigitte eventually came to a firm oak door with a small plaque labeled 'Dopethrone' on it. The room was rather large, about 40 by 40 feet, and was decorated in an exceedingly bright and psychedelic style. The dark red and green carpet of swirling stars and dragons from the Serpens Sanguis Sanctum was there in all its glory, along with the thick green crushed velvet cushions and ornate glass and porcelain hookah in the middle - though strangely, it seemed to be disassembled at the moment.
A large mandolin decorated with bright pink stars lay in the corner, along with various pin-ups of women in provocative poses with 'pharmaceutical' paraphanelia and posters of various bards who were advertised as playing psychedelic music. Rather than a normal bed, Dopethrone had apparently opted for a large hammock with several thick blankets laid in and on top for bedding, and random clothes and dressers and various other pieces of junk were strewn around in the corners of the room. To the east, Brigitte could see a walk-in closet closed off from the room by what looked to be some sort of curtain made of sequins, and to the north, several wide windows and a balcony looked over a magnificent and lush garden.

"Like the view? Christoph gave it-" Dopethrone gave off a wet cough. "Christoph gave it to me as an 'apology' for making me change my nickname. I still say it was wack, man. I don't care if these crazy old coots rely on alliteration, Dopethrone the Electric Wizard is still a much radder sounding name."

Fumbling around in one of the corners, Dopethrone retrieved a small cloth bag, and pulled out several buds of cannabis.

"Here it is, babe -" Dopethrone clapped his hands over his mouth. "Sorry Brigitte, still not used to seeing so many babes around lately. Gotta watch the lingo... Anyway, this is my latest strain. Been workin' on cultivatin' it since the Sanctum. This stuff with take you to the Moon, around the sun, to Castrovel, Eox, and out past Aucturn to the edge of the Solar System and back. You'll never feel as good in your life as when you're taking a hit of this."

Taking the disassembled hookah, Dopethrone wiped it down thoroughly before taking out a decanter of endless water and refilling it.

"Got company over... Can't have a dirty hookah... That's not chill, man..."

Lighting up the buds of cannabis, Dopethrone inserted them into the water pipe - and upon taking a big hit of smoke, passed another hose to Brigitte.

"Let's get blazed, man."

Othniel
2015-11-30, 05:56 PM
Brigitte's eyebrows shot up at the word "babe," but she only smiled and shook her head. "Dopethrone the Electric Wizard does, indeed, sound much..."radder" as you say," she agreed, taking a seat. As Dopethrone handed the pipe to her she commented, "This is the first time I have experimented with this type of alchemy," lifted the pipe to her mouth, and inhalded.

Nefarion Xid
2015-11-30, 10:02 PM
"That's not bad news. Don't scare me like that. You said 'bad news' and I think 'Andoran battle group sunk, demand for darkwood soars.'"

Stray mulls over his glass of whiskey for a minute, before knocking back the entire thing in one gulp. An undignified bodily spasm follows and his eyes tear up. "Nope ... still don't like whiskey."

"I can handle the People's Council. There's only one way out of this that Andoran can stomach. They can build their ships out of something besides darkwood. What they abide is a cold war with two neighbors. The Fey are slow to anger, but even Queen Syntira can't contain them forever. The people in the north are guests that have overstayed their welcome by nearly three thousand years. They were just camping out on the front lawn at first. And that's fine: it's a big lawn. But now there's twice as many of them and they're in the kitchen drinking your booze. You offer to let them continue living on your lawn instead of murdering them -- because you're generous like that."

Stray waves Christoph off before he can interrupt. "I know. If it comes to war, the Fey will lose. Sprites are no good against Eagle Knights. If the army wants to march into the Vale and slaughter us, they're perfectly capable. I'm just saying, that's not a war they can stomach. Codwin can't allow that. But that's exactly what it will come to if the Lumber Consortium continues to push."

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-01, 10:15 PM
Christoph breathed a sigh of relief as Stray reacted unexpectedly well to the news his proposed order had been blocked. "Hey, badness is relative. Until we get your motion passed, it's not quite time to celebrate."

He then looked a little miffed as Stray dinged the vintage whiskey he'd brought out, but listened attentively and with a very serious face as Stray outlined his views on the matter, nodding all the while. "All very true. Codwin's too much of a goody-goody to ever engage in something like wanton slaughter of an entire race just because they won't let us graciously invade their land and cut down their trees and dig up their earth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjwMn_eO2jo&t=8m47s)." His tone of voice indicated that he clearly thought that not doing such things was, in fact, a very good thing. "If our past adventures are any indication, I'm sure you've got this in the bag. I just wanted to give you the heads up. Even if you get this passed, there are going to be a lot of resentful war hawks in the audience."

Downing the rest of his glass, Christoph did cough a little as it went down. "Damn, that's a strong vintage. So, anyway, how was your evening before now? Scarlett and me went out for a bit to the Field of Concord for a night walk."
Inhaling the thick, THC-laden smoke, Brigitte voluntarily rolled a 1 on her Fortitude immediately felt the effects of the psychoactive buds hit her head as her vision began swimming, and her body began to feel blissfully warm, relaxed, and comfortably numb (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU-OSLBKwG0).

"Hehehe... Check this- check this out, duuuude." Dopethrone took a long, deep drag from the hookah, then blew a large plume of smoke. As Brigitte drew in another drag of her own, she saw a ring form from the smoke before a full ship sailed through the ring. This was quickly followed by a mighty eagle, and then - of all things - a rampaging elk.

As the elk leapt through the ring, he turned into a kaleidoscope of color, which then burst out and colored the rest of the room. And that was when the world melted.

The Beatles - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Q-DN_hY3o)

Tame Impala - Feels Like We Only Go Backwards (https://vimeo.com/53520224)

Foghat - Slow Ride (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcCNcgoyG_0)

High on Fire - Rumors Of War (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89h-X-tZa_w)

Electric Wizard - Dopethrone (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz-xmICHCK4)
Immediately, psychedelic music began ringing through Brigitte's ears as she and Dopethrone were both transformed into a pair of tutu-wearing tyrannosaurus rexes. Prancing about the field of crystal marshmallows, the two rolled down the magic cotton candy hill before tumbling into a pair of head skates and skiing down the river of molten rainbow tar past the kumquat canoe racers and up the waterfall at the end. Hitting a rock, their pink-feathered wings spread and they took to the air, tiny mountains beneath their pawed feet as a fairy dust wind trailed through their whiskers and they sneezed chili powder. Heading toward a vortex in the sky the two shot out of the atmosphere and past a miniature model of colored spheres around what looked to be a model star of some sort, heading into infinite blackness. Then, a pinprick of light appeared, and they plummeted toward it rapidly before crashing headfirst into a plush red leather couch.

The cacophony of flying splintered furniture was deafening, tempered only by the feeling of sudden wetness and warmth.

Reorienting herself, Brigitte rubbed the green liquid out of her eyes, and looked across the table at Cayden Cailean. The accidental god looked a tad dumbstruck for a moment, then began laughing.

"ONE OF YOU AGAIN? IF I'D KNOWN YOU WERE GOING TO DROP IN I'D HAVE BROUGHT CHIPS."

Dumbstruck, Dopethrone looked down at the joint in his hand. "Duuuude... I must have made that last batch stronger than I thought."

Othniel
2015-12-02, 05:27 PM
Brigitte appeared just as, if not more, dumbstruck as the being seated across from her. "Oh! Who..? Where..? What?"

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-02, 08:23 PM
"Hmph. When do they want me to speak? I might have to think about what I say for once."

Stray helps himself to something cheaper from Christoph's liquor cabinet with Mage Hand.

"I may have spent the last few hours erecting a giant statue in Cayden's likeness just west of the city. I'll deny that in the future, but I just wanted to test the capabilities of my lyre. I almost want the Lumber Consortium to test me -- if this is the kind of thing I do when I'm bored, just imagine what will happen when I'm mad."

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-04, 01:50 PM
"The session is being held tomorrow, at 9:00 sharp. The war hawks are getting antsy and they want to nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand."

Cristoph then laughed at Stray's antics with the lyre. "Don't ever change, Stray. Man, I want to see the faces of the guards when they look at that-"

Before Christoph could continue any further, a loud fwooomph sound, followed by the splintering of wood and glass, echoed through the League Headquarters. Leaping to his feet, Christoph opened the door to his office... then shook his head.

"I suppose it was only a matter of time before Dopethrone had his own accident."

The halls filled with the shouting and stamping of feet as those on duty scrambled to respond.

Looking out the window on the opposite side of the hallway, Stray could see that the room across the courtyard, just above the garden, had apparently been blown open. Various personal possessions were scattered about, and the roof and outer wall had been almost completely destroyed. A trail of bright green magic trailed out of the room, soaring into the heavens. Looking up into the sky, Stray could see what almost appeared to be some sort of comet at the end, streaking into the celestial sphere.

Strangely, at the center of the room, completely unharmed, stood a hookah.
Cayden Cailean would almost have looked offended at Brigitte's remarks if he hadn't been so busy attempting to conceal his laughter.

"WHO? MADAM-"

The accidental god coughed, then spoke again. This time, his voice was much less deafening.

"MADAMOUISELLE LESTRADE, YOU WOUND ME. I AM NONE OTHER THAN CAYDEN CAILEAN! (Trademark.) ACCIDENTAL GOD, LUCKY DRUNK, DASHING SWASHBUCKLER-" He waggled his eyebrows flirtatiously at bBrigitte as he said this, "AND PATRON SAINT OF GOOD-SLASH-DARING ADVENTURERS EVERYWHERE."

"FOR THE WHERE, YOU ARE CURRENTLY IN MY PERSONAL QUARTERS ON THE PLANE OF ELYSIUM, LOUNGING ON MY ANTIQUE OSIRIAN FAINTING COUCH. WHICH APPEARS TO BE BROKEN..." Cayden extended a hand, then channeled his power through it, the counch mending itself under Dopethrone and Brigitte. "MUCH BETTER. AND AS TO THE WHAT, THERE ARE TWO WAYS THAT COULD GO. AS TO 'WHAT IS THAT GREEN STUFF' -" Cayden indicated the now-spilled cauldron, "THAT IS A CAULDRON OF RAW NATURE-ALIGNED COSMIC ESSENCE. WE GODS INFUSE OUR BELIEVERS WITH THAT STUFF WHEN THEY BECOME DRUIDS, SO, WHEN YOU GET BACK TO GOLARION, DON'T BE SUPRISED IF YOU SUDDENLY START MANIFESTING DRUID-LIKE ABILITIES, OKAY? ALSO, YOU MAY SPONTANEOUSLY FIND FLOWERS SPROUTING AT YOUR FEET, BIRDS NESTING IN YOUR HAIR, AND PEOPLE STARING IN WONDER AS YOU MANIFEST THE BEAUTY OF NATURE IN A SINGLE MORTAL VESSEL. THAT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL, NO REASON TO PANIC."

"AS TO 'WHAT IS GOING ON', YOU APPEAR TO HAVE SMOKED A STRAIN OF MARIJUANA SO POWERFUL THAT IT INTERACTED WITH THE LATENT MAGIC ABILITIES OF THOSE IN THE IMMEDIATE VICINITY AND SENT YOU HURTLING INTO THE OUTER PLANES, WHERE BY SHEER COSMIC COINCIDENCE YOU LANDED AT MY FEET. I'M IMPRESSED. THE LAST MORTAL WHO DID THIS ONLY GOT HALFWAY THROUGH THE ASTRAL PLANE BEFORE FALLING BACK."

Dopethrone, at this point, had recovered from being dumbstruck himself, and spoke up. "Duuude! You mean that one time wasn't a dream?" He then blinked, and a broad smile appeared on his unkempt face. "Duuude! Cayden Cailean! You're, like, the most partytastic god to ever ascend to goodhood, man!" Dopethrone held out yet another portion of the offending marijuana. "Wanna hit?"

"AH, DOPETHRONE! IT'S GOOD TO SEE YOU'VE FOUND BETTER COMPANY - I ALWAYS THOUGHT YOU HAD BETTER THINGS IN YOU. AS MUCH AS I WOULD LIKE A HIT, I'M AFRAID THAT WE NEED TO CUT THIS SHORT. TOO MUCH TIME SPENT IN THE OUTER PLANES IN THIS STATE AND WEIRD THINGS HAPPEN TO YOUR BODY." Cayden raised a hand, channeling yet more magical power through it. "ANY LAST QUESTIONS BEFORE I SEND YOU OFF?"

Othniel
2015-12-05, 12:56 PM
Brigitte

The normally unflappable Investigator squeaked, at a loss for words and embarrassed at failing to recognize her own deity, "My lord Cayden Cailean, had I known the potency of Dopethrone's creation, I should not have dared to partake, for fear of intruding upon your lordship." Brigitte faltered for a moment, trying to process what was going on and to make sure she wasn't dreaming. "My lord, I have many questions about the world, but as my chief purpose in life is making of new discoveries, I feel it would be cheating myself to gain them this way, so I have only one for you: Is there any task you would have me do once I return?"

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-05, 02:31 PM
Concentrating on his spell, Stray's eyes filled with power, and he flashed back to mere minutes ago...

The door opened, and none other than Dopethrone himself came in, followed closely by Brigitte. Proudly, Dopethrone gestured to his room. With the magically enhanced revelation of how it had been before the explosion, Stray could not help but admire it.

The room was rather large, about 40 by 40 feet, and was decorated in an exceedingly bright and psychedelic style. The dark red and green carpet of swirling stars and dragons from the Serpens Sanguis Sanctum was there in all its glory, along with the thick green crushed velvet cushions and ornate glass and Dopethrone's trademark porcelain hookah in the middle - though strangely, it seemed to be disassembled at the moment.
A large mandolin decorated with bright pink stars lay in the corner, along with various pin-ups of women in provocative poses with 'pharmaceutical' paraphanelia and posters of various bards who were advertised as playing psychedelic music. Rather than a normal bed, Dopethrone had apparently opted for a large hammock with several thick blankets laid in and on top for bedding, and random clothes and dressers and various other pieces of junk were strewn around in the corners of the room. To the east, Brigitte could see a walk-in closet closed off from the room by what looked to be some sort of curtain made of sequins, and to the north, several wide windows and a balcony looked over a magnificent and lush garden.

"Like the view? Christoph gave it-" Dopethrone gave off a wet cough. "Christoph gave it to me as an 'apology' for making me change my nickname. I still say it was wack, man. I don't care if these crazy old coots rely on alliteration, Dopethrone the Electric Wizard is still a much radder sounding name."

Fumbling around in one of the corners, Dopethrone retrieved a small cloth bag. Looking closely, Stray immeditaely recognized it to be cannabis.

"Here it is, babe -" Dopethrone clapped his hands over his mouth. "Sorry Brigitte, still not used to seeing so many babes around lately. Gotta watch the lingo... Anyway, this is my latest strain. Been workin' on cultivatin' it since the Sanctum. This stuff with take you to the Moon, around the sun, to Castrovel, Eox, and out past Aucturn to the edge of the Solar System and back. You'll never feel as good in your life as when you're taking a hit of this."

Carefully, Dopethrone then began leaning over his trademark hookah, assembling and cleaning it off as best he could.

"Got company over... Can't have a dirty hookah... That's not chill, man..."

Lighting up the buds of cannabis, Dopethrone inserted them into the water pipe - and upon taking a big hit of smoke, passed another hose to Brigitte.

"Let's get blazed, man."

Brigitte smiled and shook her head. "Dopethrone the Electric Wizard does, indeed, sound much...'radder', as you say."

As Dopethrone handed the pipe to her, the investigator paused briefly.

"This is the first time I have experimented with this type of 'alchemy'."

Then, she lifted the pipe to her mouth, and inhaled, taking a long and deep breath. Dopethrone took another drag for himself, blowing a ring of smoke. Then, just as Brigitte took her second drag, something happened.

A green light tingled atop both Brigitte and Dopethrone's breasts, and a large wind kicked up. Blowing about the room, a surge of magical energy that made Stray's hair feel as if it were standing on end welled up before the room blew open from within, and Brigitte and Dopethrone rocketed into the sky.

The spell ended, and Stray was left standing alone in the ruins of Dopethrone's room.
"ACCESS TO THE POWER OF A GOD AT YOUR FINGERTIPS, AND YOU STILL CHOOSE THE MORE DARING AND ADVENTUROUS WAY OF TRYING TO DISCOVER THINGS ON YOUR OWN. YOU ARE A WOMAN AFTER MY OWN HEART, MADAMOUISELLE LESTRADE." Cayden winked. "DON'T FEEL BAD ABOUT INTRUDING. DRUGS LIKE THAT ARE A RARITY, AND THE CONDITIONS HAVE TO BE JUUUST RIGHT. I'M FAIRLY CERTAIN OUR FRIEND OVER HERE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW."

"Honestly, dudes, when you're as baked as often as I am, reality and fantasy tend to blur together a little. Makes the scientific method a bit slow, but that's what you get for making the good stuff."

Cayden nodded. "QUITE. IN ANY CASE, THERE IS ONE TASK I WOULD HAVE YOU DO WHEN YOU RETURN TO THE MATERIAL PLANE. YOUR FRIEND, THE FEY PRINCE STRAY, WILL SOON BE CALLED BACK TO DARKMOON VALE ON A PLANE OF GREAT IMPORT. THERE IS EVIL AFOOT IN THAT AREA, AS THE LUMBER CONSORTIUM IS PRESSING HARD DOWN ON BOTH ITS PEOPLE AND THE FEY. I WANT YOU TO HELP HIM RESOLVE THE SITUATION. THERE'S ALSO AN ERRANT TRIBE OF KOBOLDS IN THE AREA WHO ARE HAVING AN 'INSECT' PROBLEM, AS WELL - HELPING THEM ISN'T QUITE AS IMPORTANT, BUT IF YOU SHOULD RUN INTO THEM IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THEY'RE COMPARATIVELY NON-EVIL KOBOLDS, SO YOU SHOULDN'T FEEL TOO BAD."

"ALSO, JUST BECAUSE OF YOUR HUMILITY AND GOOD CHARACTER, I'M GOING TO GIVE YOU A HEADS UP AND AN OFFER. ASMODEUS IS UP TO SOMETHING, AND HE'S GOING TO SPRING IT ON ANDORAN IN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS. I CAN'T SAY MORE THAN THAT, SADLY, DUE TO 'RULES'." Cayden made air quotes as he said this, a clear note of disgust in his voice. "LASTLY, IF EVER YOU SHOULD MEET SOMEONE WITH PLANE SHIFT..." Channeling yet more magic into his voice, Cayden blew a magically infused kiss at Brigitte. "STOP BY AGAIN. I'LL BRING OUT SOME OF THE GOOD WINE."

And as the cosmic dust impacted Dopethrone and Brigitte, the two went tumbling, tumbling down...

*** The Next Day... ***

The next day dawned, and Christoph went to fetch Stray and Pun-Pun at 8:30 so they could get to the Palace of the People's Council with time to spare. As they approached the palace, however, they were treated to a very strange sight indeed.

Approaching the end of the Field of Concord, at the statue of Lady Liberty next to the Archstone Monument, the three of them spotted a small group of Eagle Knights scratching their heads, looking at the statue in puzzlement. Approaching, they then realized that they were not looking at the statue itself - rather they, were looking at what Lady Liberty held in her arms. Sprawled out and unconscious, none other than Brigitte and Dopethrone lay in Lady Liberty's embrace, dead to the world - and both, for some reason, lacking their breeches. Blearily, both of them opened their eyes...

"Duuude... I am totally doing that again."

It was at that moment that an enormous elk came out of the bushes, the Eagle Knights jumping back a little in surprise. Pawing at the ground, it looked up and regarded Brigitte with a curious sniff.

You may now begin using your new character sheet.

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-05, 03:52 PM
"Don't just gawk like your mothers didn't teach you manners. Give the lady your coat, corporal! And you, fetch a hansom!" Stray snaps with a convincingly military canter before catching sight of the elk. Naturally, he assumed the giant woodland creature was for him and shyly pointed a finger at his chest, as if the elk might give him an affirmative nod.

Stray cast Glibness before he left (duration of 100 minutes). He's wearing his normal outfit, (mended and prestidigitated clean the previous night) with the addition of a sapphire blue cravat. His bandana is worn as neatly folded as possible beneath his circlet.

Othniel
2015-12-06, 10:26 PM
The first thing Brigitte noticed as she slowly came to was a draft. Blinking away the after-effects of a very wild, very memorable night, she looked around. "Where in the Nine Hellth...?" Spotting Stray below, she tried to wave an arm and call out, but she felt weird, and her mouth tasted like...moss. It tasted like moss? "Thhhray! Blatht it...Sthray! Argh...STRAY!"

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-07, 01:44 PM
The Eagle knights, initially emboldened by Brigitte waking up, turned back and jumped once more as Stray walked up and barked out a command.

"Y-yes, of course, sir," replied one of the younger-looking ones, taking off his jacket. He was stopped, however, as the apparent leader of the group outstretched a hand.

"I'll do your friend one better." Extending a hand to Brigitte, he helped her down from the statue, then reached into a bag that had gone heretofore unnoticed. Rummaging around in it, he proceeded to pull out an oversized pair of pants. "Take some cord for an improvised belt and they'll be a perfect fit."

"...dare I ask why you're carting around a bag full of pants, Captain?"

"You remember that Archer's Day is coming up soon, right?"

The recruits looked between the bag and Brigitte/Dopethrone and shuddered visibly.

"Oh gods, they're coming out of the woodwork early."

Dopethrone slid out of the statue's arms, falling onto the cobblestone road with a dull thud.

"Ow."

Meanwhile, the elk looked in Stray's direction, and after chuffing briefly, promptly ignored him in favor of turning back to Brigitte, nuzzling up against the recovering Investigator.

As the elk nuzzled up against the Galtan woman, she instantly felt something strange, as if a bond had formed between her and the animal. A feeling of... devotion? Affection, perhaps? Made itself known at the back of her head, as if the elk were offering her its services.

You will be my companion.
Brigitte: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=635104
Jean: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=641889

Othniel
2015-12-08, 12:47 AM
Her face turned near scarlet in a blush, Brigitte graciously took the pants from the Eagle Knight Captain and pulled them on quickly beneath her frock coat. Some semblance of decency regained, she gave a curt bow. "Thank you, Captain, for your timely assistance. I am embarrassed to admit that I am not entirely sure how to explain my situation here," she admitted. "I do hope I have not caused an annoying disturbance or anything of the sort..."

As the elk drew nearer, Brigitte couldn't resist an undignified giggle as the large creature nuzzled up to her. Holding her new pair of pants up with one hand, she reached out the other to stroke the beast's flank. "He warned me something of the like might occur, but I never imagined anything like this..." She thought for a moment and then, "I shall call you Jean. It is a good, strong name for a good, strong beast." Remembering the conversation with Cayden Cailean earlier, she called over to Stray, "Stray, I must speak with you..."

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-08, 07:44 PM
Stray scooches forward and leans down a bit, putting his hands on his hips. "Lestrade, I'm absolutely and sincerely convinced that there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for the pantslessness and the wizard (good morning, Dopethrone; no, don't get up on my account) and your new cervine friend. But I've got to address a special session of the People's Council now. See the cravat? Cravat means Serious Stray. This is my serious face and this is my serious neckwear."

He straightens himself and spares a glance up and down the street to see if any of the gathering representatives were looking his way. "Take a shower, drink some water, have a nosh and I'll be back in around noon -- depending on if someone challenges me to a duel or not. Wish me luck! Erm, on the speaking, not the ... well it doesn't matter."

Othniel
2015-12-09, 12:30 AM
"Cayden Cailean spoke to me!" she hissed. "And you should know what he has to say."

She moved closer and explained. "I am to accompany you to Darkmoon Vale to address problems caused by the Lumber Consortium and to help a tribe of kobolds if there is time and opportunity." She paused for effect, "And Asmodeus has designs against Andoran sometime 'in the next few months.'"

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-09, 05:26 PM
Stray feigns a gasp. "No one could have possibly foreseen such portentous portents. Cheliax is colluding with the Prince of Darkness to plan the downfall of Andoran? I am shocked. Just ... no, look I believe you. I do! I just ... I know. I know. The Lumber Consortium will do something stupid, requiring my personal attention. And Cheliax will attempt to exploit the civil unrest."

He steps back and folds his hands politely behind him, doing his best impression of a responsible person. "The Consortium controls the north and they will want to keep that control, no matter what politicians and princes say. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd attempt to secede to Cheliax. Paracount Theroux Muraine -- I can see it now."

"I'll be glad to have you with me, though."

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-10, 06:37 PM
With Dopethrone staggering on back to the Trailblazer's Headquarters (pants forgotten as he staggered down the street in red polka-dotted boxers for all the world to see), Brigitte, Christoph, Pun-Pun and Stray proceeded onwards to the Palace of the People's Council.

A short while later, in a large, ornate ampitheater within the palace, the bang of a gavel rang out as the session was called to order. With the exception of Brigitte, Christoph, Pun-Pun, and Stray (who, as guests, were sitting in a special box in the front row), those in attendance were dressed to the nines in ornate blue and gold cloaks and cream-colored tunics - the colors of Andoran, whose states and cities they represented.

At the front of the room, speaking from atop the podium, People's Voice Jarlisa Hermedas cleared her throat.

"We now begin Session 87 of the People's Council of Andoran - and thanks be to all of you for coming on such short notice. For those not aware, which should hopefully be less than a handful, we have gathered on this day to call a final vote on Law 1857, the Darkmoon Vale Preservation Act, wherein further logging activity in the Vale shall be banned outright, along with any expansion of existing mining activity. We begin with representative Kevin Marksman of Augustana, speaking for those in favor?"

Stepping forward, a rather young-looking and impeccably groomed young man with brown hair spoke.

"Thank you, People's Voice. As we are all aware, good members of the council, the Fey have lived in the Darkmoon Vale for nigh on centuries, longer than even Andoran when it was initially founded as an offshoot of Taldor. Throughout that time, the Vale has been an important source of darkwood for Andoran, particularly in these modern times as we steel ourselves against Cheliax."

"But consider this, my friends. We already have one great enemy at our gates - and we have already had difficulty with the Fey, in the past. I trust you all remember the sordid tales of the Carnival of Tears a few years back?"

Discomforted muttering echoed throughout the hall.

"If this keeps up - do we really want to fight a war on two fronts? In this age of great magic, do you really mean to tell me there is not another way we can get around this?"

"YES! I VOTE YES!"

The room's attention snapped to one particularly overweight councilman. "Erm... sorry... thought it was time to vote."

Christoph passed Stray a note under the table.

Gold made that one a touch enthusiastic.
Jarlisa facepalmed. "Thuldrin Kreed, for the opposition."

A rather slimy-looking man with a goatee and a permanent sneer stood. "Members of the council. As has already been said, Cheliax lurks at our doors, waiting to pounce at a moment's notice. Consorting with powerful demons from afar, waiting to feast and plunder your wealth - your wives - your children! Would you really stop logging in the vale, and stop our primary means of defense against those foreign devils? Would you really listen to the words of some bedraggled mercenary -" Thuldrin's gaze whirled around to the Trailblazers, "-and let their embarrasingly naive suggestions take our safety and jaerbs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUTnNKhF-EU) - I mean, jobs? The Consortium has kept things under control in the past, and it can do so again."

Jarlisa's gaze, at last, turned to Stray. "Mister Stray, correct? If you would kindly offer your thoughts on this matter?"

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-10, 08:04 PM
Stray rose, putting on his warmest and nearly genuine smile. "Prince Stray," he corrects. "Today, I am acting in my official capacity as representative of the Fey Peoples at the behest of my mother, Queen Syntira."

Glancing sideways, he makes eye contact with Thuldrin. "Mister Kreed. I hope your boy Jurin is doing well. You'll give him my best?"

Returning to face the entire assembly, he raises his voice. "Queen Syntira extends her kindest regards to the people of Andoran, our friends and neighbors. To all of you, health, long life and, above all: wisdom. On behalf of my people, I thank the People's Council for allowing our voice to be heard in the Capital. Let this be the beginning of a new era of openness and communication between our two races. Unequivocally, we wish to continue to peacefully coexist with your nation. But if logging in the Darkmoon Vale is brought to an end, you will not have good neighbors, you will have good friends."

Casually, he moves from his box to the floor to continue, trusting that should he violate the Council's decorum, he would be too imposing to be corrected. "Truly, Queen Syntira's circumspection is without peer. Something that comes with thousands of years of experience, I suppose. You all should ask yourselves, what would you do if a foreign power built settlements within your territory, took your resources and jeopardized the lives of your citizens. There would be war without question. The good Queen is not so hasty; indeed her patience and beneficence is unfathomable. Should you fail to pass Law 1857 there will be no reprisal. I will again come before you, in peace, and trust in diplomacy and democracy. I cannot, however, speak for all Fey. Should you continue to press into the heart of the Vale, I can by no means gaurantee that all Fey shall continue to trust in my mother's rule. It is in your fondest interest that Queen Syntira should continue to rule the Vale, in good graces, with the love of her people and the friendship of Andoran."

He raises his hands to the audience, "Recognize the Queen's sovereignty over the Vale and all lands from the River Foam to the Five Kings Mountains and I swear to you our eternal alliance. We shall forever stand with the people of Andoran against tyranny! We will fight Cheliax with you. We will tear down the Thrice Damned House of Thrune! All we ask in return is your good will.

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-11, 02:15 AM
Applause started to spread throughout the council room - slowly at first, then gaining in intensity. Throughout it, Thuldrin fixed Stray with a death glare rivaling the heat of a thousand suns. A few more speeches from the opposition and support followed, but even at a glance it became abundantly clear that the vote had shifted in favor of Stray - an observation that proved to be the case when the final votes were tallied.

"And so, by a vote of 253 to 97, the body votes in favor of Law 1587. This council is adjourned."

As Jarlisa banged her gavel, Thuldrin, his face a lovely eggplant-tint shade of purple, leapt to his feet.

"Mongrel! Fairy $^%! You haven't heard the last of me!"

With a downward toss, a plume of smoke enveloped Thuldrin and those seated next to him, and magic chanting and a flash of light came from within. When the smoke cleared seconds later, he was gone, the Eagle Knights who'd rushed in finding nothing.

A moderately vexed look on her face, Jarlisa descended, stopping in front of the Trailblazers. "Prince Stray, Mister Carloman... and I don't think I've been introduced to you two." Jarlisa's eyebrow was raised as she caught sight of Pun-Pun. "If you would kindly follow me, I'll take you to the Supreme Elect's office, and we can get this officially enacted by lunch. I believe Codwin wishes to discuss the finer matters of getting this implemented, as well."

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-11, 01:06 PM
Stray remains silent a moment, glaring at the place where Kreed stood a minute before.

"Yes, I believe I will speak with the Supreme Elect. Kreed can't get himself into too much trouble in just an hour or two. Given that villainous cliche he just pulled, I'm sure he's returned to Falcon's Hollow and is plotting something imminently stupid."

"Pun-Pun, go back to headquarters and fetch one of the wizards and Lestrade. Wait for me on the mall. I'll need a teleport to Falcon's Hollow straight away. If they're not available, get a scroll from storage or buy one. Pay double if you have to."

"Oh, honored to make your acquaintance, Madam Speaker," he finally puts on a facsimile of manners for Jarlisa. He gestures to the door, hoping to hurry on and conclude business with Codwin as soon as possible. "While I have your ear, do you think it's possible to pencil me in to discuss kobold rights?"

Once they're on their way, Stray gives Christoph a sly fist-bump.

1.a. The Darkmoon Vale does not and has never recognized the authority of the Andoran government within its borders.
1.b. The Darkmoon Vale denounces previous logging activity and settlement within its borders. The Darkmoon Vale asserts that these actions were illegal, but seeks no contrition.
1.c.a. The Darkmoon Vale denounces the existence of the settlement Falcon's Hollow and asserts that it's continued presence is a violation of sovereignty.
1.c.b. Falcon's Hollow must be abandoned before the dawn of the new year 4713.
1.c.c. The Darkmoon Vale offers aid (food) to facilitate the relocation of residents.
1.c.d. Prince Stray offers to aid in the construction of a new settlement on the southern bank of the River Foam.

2.a. Andoran officially recognizes the Queen Syntira as absolute sovereign of the Darkmoon Vale.
2.b. Andoran recognizes the Darkmoon Vale as an independent and sovereign state.

3.a. The Darkmoon Vale recognizes the sovereignty of the Andoran government in its recognized borders.
3.b. Queen Syntira officially endorses the merits of a democratic republic and agrees to support fairly elected leaders.
3.c. Queen Syntira renounces any claims to realms outside the borders of the Darkmoon Vale, including the Arthfell and Verduran.

4. The Darkmoon Vale offers an alliance (unilateral military aid against foreign powers)

5. The Darkmoon Vale officially condemns the Chelish Empire, House Thrune and the practice of compacting with fiends.

6. Provision for the establishment of a Fey embassy (see river island). Prince Stray awarded sovereignty of said island. Andoran settlement within 5 miles of the island is prohibited.

http://i.imgur.com/XGkG8Om.png

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-12, 01:48 AM
"Well, Codwin's booked solid through next Wealday, but I think we still have some time next Oathday where we can fit you in."

Snapping off a jaunty salute, Pun-Pun gave a noise of assent at Stray's command. "Madamousille Lessstrade is already with us, Lord Ssstray, but Pun-Pun will go and fetch Dopethrone. Asss inebriated asss he wasss, he cannot have gotten far."

With Pun-Pun gone, Jarlisa led Stray, Christoph and Brigitte through a maze of twisty passages, all alike, until they finally reached a grand office. Knocking on the door, Jarlisa let herself half-in before she turned back to the two Trailblazers.

"Give us a few minutes. The Supreme Elect will want to get a quick summary of what happened in the chamber."

As they waited, Christoph returned Stray's fist-bump with matching enthusiasm.

"Congratulations, Stray."

After a few minutes, Jarlisa opened the door. "Supreme Elect, may I present Christoph Carloman, Brigitte Lestrade, and Prince Stray of the Trailblazer's League."

Entering the office, Stray and Brigitte's eyes were immediately drawn to the heavy oaken desk flanked by a pair of Eagle Knights, upon which sat a copy of the treaty Stray had drawn up - or more accurately, their eyes were drawn to the man sitting behind it. Dressed in an elegant blue and white nobleman's coat, with a muscled and highly athletic body that spoke of combat experience and a bald head with handsome, chiseled features the color of dark chocolate, Codwin I stood up and shook each person's hand with a strong grip.

"Mr. Carloman, good to see you again. And a pleasure to meet the both of your associates - Christoph has told me a lot about you. Especially you - Prince Stray, isn't it? Honestly, if I didn't know better, I'd swear he was making half of his stories up. It's not every day that you get a fey prince asking that we formally withdraw any claim to Darkmoon Vale, or asking for his own private island... But then again, we live in strange times." Codwin smiled. "As it happens, I've been hoping to reduce our dependence on that tract of land for a while now, and to strengthen our relationship with the fey. So this, really, has posed the perfect opportunity."

With a grand flourish, Codwin signed the paper on his desk before dribbling hot wax over the bottom, stamping it with the National Seal.

"It is done. Now that that's out of the way, however, there is something I would ask of you. Obviously, with the people of Falcon's Hollow being displaced and moved to the south of the River Foam, we're going to need some sort of transitioning program to help resettle them. Through this new law, you have offered to provide food and the construction of a new settlement, but they will still need help getting it up to speed - and more importantly, we still need a source of Darkwood, as much as I wish that wasn't the case."

"As it became more and more apparent that your act actually had some traction and teeth to it, I began looking into ways of accomplishing those - and I believe I found a way. There's a roving circle of druids who've recently come to Andoran, lead by one Brevoyan named Jaeger Hackett. He's offered his services to help create a sustainable, regrowing grove of Darkwood trees, outside the Vale, and to help get our people's fields set up. Unfortunately, we lost contact with him a few days ago - all attempts at getting in touch with him magically have failed."

"Since it's technically your land, I can't actually order you to do anything, but I would appreciate it if you could go to Darkwood Vale and locate him, as well as calming down the inevitable protests and backlash from the Lumber Consortium."

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-13, 12:45 AM
"I've already arranged for a teleport to Falcon's Hollow and I'll be leaving within the hour. I've ... had dealings with Thuldrin Kreed in the past. He's a spectacularly stupid and brutish man. Considering how he spat some villainous cliche at me and vanished from the assembly floor in a cloud of smoke, I have to assume he's got something on his tiny little greasy brain. I don't know what, but it will be loud and ill advised. You should send a few elite Eagle Knights with us -- not for my protection, but for the civilians. The last thing we need is a mob of out-of-work lumberjacks marching off into the forest. I'll do my part, but they'll feel more comfortable with some fresh faced soldiers present."

Stray rises quite suddenly, preempting Cowdin from signalling the close of the meeting in a nearly subtle power play.

"And I promise I'll track down Jaeger. Shouldn't be too hard with that bright orange beard of his. Oh! We met a few years ago. I'm sure he'll be surprised to see me." He flashes a wan smile to the Supreme Elect as if to say, yes, yes I do know everyone.

"Before I go, I do have a gift. A small token of friendship." He retrieves an acorn from his coat pocket and hands it over. "Otherwise identical to Quaal's Feather Tokens apart from the fact that it's not a feather and it produces a darkwood tree. Find a nice place for it? They don't need a lot of light, but that shouldn't be a problem since it will grow to a height of sixty feet in seconds. I could show your state wizards how to make them. It's only moderately more expensive than having them cut down up-river. But honestly, have you tried spruce for your ships?"

Othniel
2015-12-14, 01:53 AM
Waiting for the most opportune moment, Brigitte cleared her throat in an effort to gain the Supreme Elect's attention. "Monsieur Supreme Elect, for myself I beg but one moment of your time," Brigitte put in as Stray made ready to leave. She tried to look as serious as she could despite the (to her mind) atrocious state of her wardrobe, "It will come as no surprise to you that Cheliax is a danger to the people of Andoran. I wish I could be more specific with the information I have for you, but a highly reliable source has told me that, to paraphrase his words, there is a plot being concocted involving Asmodeus, Cheliax, and Andoran." Brigitte's cheeks colored slightly and a smile came to her lips as she remembered the offer that accompanied the information. Clearing her throat, she continued, "Given the occasion here to see you, I thought it prudent to say something. Doubtless, you have your own means of gathering information, and do not require my advice, but I have the feeling that some preparation would be sensible."

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-14, 02:03 PM
Codwin nodded as Stray mentioned the need for Eagle Knights.

"I completely agree. As it happens, I believe there's a small squad in this very area, reasonably experienced. I'll send a quick runner for them and they'll accompany you when you leave."

At Stray's mention of knowing Jaeger, he raised an eyebrow briefly, but nodded again in assent. A surprised look, followed by one of gratitude, appeared on his face as he accepted the Darkwood Tree Tokens.

"I'm sure we can make great use of these. We have tried spruce, actually - it was what we used before logging in the Vale became the norm. I suspect until we get the groves up and running we shall be relying on it once again."

At Brigitte's warning, he once more raised an eyebrow before taking on a rather neutral facial expression.

"Such assumptions are our intelligence officer's default states of mind, Madamouiselle Lestrade. Nonetheless, I shall see what I can do about telling our spies to keep an extra eye out or two in the coming months."

As it turned out, the squad of Eagle Knights sent to accompany them was none other than the squad responsible for giving Lestrade a spare pair of pants. A series of awkward greetings was exchanged before the headed out of the palace, where they were greeted by Pun-Pun and a visibly grumpy Dopethrone.

"Duuude... I, like, could really use a bit of shuteye after that night..."

"Sssave your protessst's, Dopethrone. Don't you wizardsss have a ssspell for every occasion? I ssshould think you'd have prepared sssomething in the event Hisss Lordship asked you to do some actual work."

Dopethrone blearily blinked, then perked up slightly.

"Oh... Oh, yeah!"

Drawing himself up straight as he could, Dopethrone waved his two hands in a graceful, flowing kata around his head.

<POLYPURPOSE PANACEA.>

A warm, glowing light enveloped the perpetually inebriated wizard, and when it vanished he was no less bedraggle and messy than usual, but was notably perkier looking.

"Alright! Most excellent dudes! Man, that feels much better. So, what did you want me back for here again?"

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-14, 08:10 PM
"Dopethrone, thank you for coming. We need a teleport to Falcon's Hollow: a village two-hundred miles north by north west on the northern bank of the River Foam. You can see Droskar's Crag over the darkwood forest. Clear enough? Because I can show you with an Image."

Stray gives a brief smile to the assembled Eagle Knights and offers his hand to the leader. "You must be good if you've been selected for an important peacekeeping mission like this one. Has the Supreme Elect filled you in on all the details? Is there anything you'd like to ask me?"

Othniel
2015-12-16, 03:26 AM
Brigitte remained silent for the most part, busying herself with readying her gear. After greeting the Eagle Knights, and embarrassingly realizing that it was the same group that assisted her earlier, she grew quiet and avoided eye contact with any of them, letting Stray do most of the speaking and staying close to her new companion, Jean.

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-17, 08:57 PM
As Stray and Brigitte lead the Eagle Knights outside, their captain nodded at Stray. "I've been in the service for 10 years; these ones are a bit greener (they've about 3) but they've got sword-arms enough between them to keep any rabble rousers from trying anything fresh. His Excellency told us the basic summary - mostly, that we've three objectives. A) Keep the population from hurting anyone else, B) Keep them from hurting themselves with any brilliant ideas like wandering off into the forest, and C) Keep the Lumber Consortium from stirring them up. Any further details were to be provided by you."

Dopethrone nodded. "Nah, that should be clear enough, dude. After years of mind expansion, you can trust me when I say that I have a gift for imagination. More so after that stunt me and Brigitte got up to last night. Duuude... A strain powerful enough to blast through the outer planes... I should-" It was at this point that Dopethrone noticed the Eagle Knights, and shot up stock straight. "Uh, I mean, we just sat around and drank tea all night, and, like, discussed liberty and crocheting and all that. Dude."

The captain facepalmed. "...just get us to Falcon's Hollow and I'll forget I heard anything."

"Right. Gather round." Touching each of them in turn, Dopethrone executed a wide, sweeping kata before channeling magic through his very being and calling out in the mystical tongue of magic.

"<GREATER TELEPORT!>"

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Q9ebCVZZ0NCKqE0FmwQ9nCGPkG93e1ryuLzIDQ2czpHlpPUJ8g 9pI73KtCt8-Dx40uyGwQkOyJByYCa6TBK5x7VkTDxlIg2ihLIF79X8pg-ZbcUK4wWyPDOrSl-LcZSUVfN-gy9IzkViUZZi8nkSIu6jltRtM0vlvyVFcVjg_WgbNngEAFa_Ov Wgw9KXes15i2ibQd4352WF62ScVvNYiSZVsjH07fONuriJs_VU 60ll4bQBWrSsqT7wREAjxv5Atb8rbVEn6ZsC-R9zz0DlKSOhKg27RB9OtV4J0gmXhvsyR0Lj9W1GD1nzb59BPcq gSbIEq0b1jLQ163oFzMWpIGTdjRwxSyCTSxkOBY9lM6RbzjX3Y-T-Lc7JXRZlp8qQq98flkRrnevreqxnrQcvyk81Ep3lXnLLUS7stu peNZSq-6Ax-DFrTs06bM0WJp9xTfp3Zh6PbNX0ErQEMiG6VcGJrY0RlKmdCGV Hb5ObAmmR8-nA02M4gcVUJ5S32S_N5zJDA5VtvA3gJ0pLfZCBLUFXXkjSnOoE AINJGSD9FcoIvV2lXTi05sO9TpvVlm1iW6GP=w750-h357-no

In a flash of white light, Brigitte and Stray found themselves several hundred miles north of Andoran, on a verdant hilltop beneath a large oak tree. To the north, they could see a vast forest stretching out before them and into the distant mountains - and an equally large field of demolished, barren stumps. To the south, they could see a long and mighty rushing river, a small town with a lumber mill perched upon its northern bank.

Falcon's Hollow.

Narrowing their eyes, Brigitte and Stray could both make out a mass of people swarming about in the twon center, and a smaller group clustered around the northern gates.

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-18, 05:24 PM
Stray smiles wryly, pleasantly surprised at the wizard's accuracy. "Dopethrone, let me take a moment to assure you that Christoph neither appreciates or pays you enough."

Waving the Eagle Knights forward with him, Stray moves closer to hear what the crowds are saying.

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-19, 10:02 AM
Dopethrone rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, clearly embarrassed by the compliment. "Shucks, dude, just doin' what you dudes pay me for. Can't spend all my time smokin'... much as I'd like to." He looked out over the village. "Let's go do this before the polypurpose panacea wears off."

Strolling down the hill toward the village, the Eagle Knights flanking him and Brigitte on either side and Dopethrone and Pun-Pun bringing up the rear, the Trailblazers soon found themselves in front of the northern gate into town. Spotting their approach, a bunch of burly lumberjacks came to block the way, lead by a particularly mean-looking rogue with greasy hair and a rather nasty scar on his face.

"You've come fair enough, fairy-%#@$er. See, this right here? This is Lumber Consortium territory, and the boss says no %#@$in' fairy $%#@!s are allowed in here. So beat it!"

The Eagle Knight Captain squared his shoulders, and to a body he and the others drew saps. "Citizen, you are interfering with official Andoran government business. Step aside, or face the consequences."

"Make me, pork butt."

As Brigitte and Stray looked on, they noticed the lumberjacks behind the man shifting awkwardly as they tried to disguise their discomfort at the situation - almost as if they didn't really want to be there.

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-19, 01:17 PM
Stray does his best ignore the ugly, loud one with the scar (despite briefly considering laying him out with a spell).

"How many of you own property?" he raises his voice to talk to the lumberjacks behind the enforcer. "I'm a powerful sorcerer and very rich. As part of the treaty, I've agreed to lend my magic to constructing a new settlement on the southern bank of the river. Who among you would like a big stone house and a plot of land all your own? Someplace your own where you can take a wife and raise a family? This is what I offer freely! What does the Lumber Consortium offer you?"

Othniel
2015-12-19, 02:02 PM
Brigitte stood nearby, leaning against the flank of Jean and scratching the giant elk's neck affectionately. She hoped Stray would be able to diffuse the situation without bloodshed, and stood ready lest he desired her aid.

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-19, 04:25 PM
At Stray's words, the lumberjacks ceased all signs of resistance, blinking in wonder. They began trembling - almost as if Stray had just told them all they'd won a solid ton of gold, each.

"...our own homes?"

"Shut it, McPherson!"

"Our own land?"

"I'm warning you!"

One of the younger looking ones threw down his weapon. "No! I've had it with you and Kreed's Thugs! All you do is take, take, take, and drive us like slaves! Even if this guy's full of &$!%, it can't be any worse than what you do to us! To our families! I'm quitting! And there's nothing you can do to stop me!"

The other lumberjacks raised their own axes and roared in the affirmative.

"Nothing I can do, huh?" snarled the thug. "Well, choke on this, Brady-Boy!"

And with a lighting-fast flash, the thug drew a throwing axe from his belt, the metal flying toward the young worker's head...

And the thug attacks Lumberjack 4!

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
...which, amazingly, went completely wide, the young man not even having to dodge out of the way.

"You're under arrest! Eagle Knights! Get him!"

Roll for initiative.

Not that it matters overly much, considering how outclassed this guy is.
"Oh, yeah! Well, come at me, bacon!"

Throwing another axe, the steel spun toward the captain...

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
And rebounded with a harmless clang off the Eagle Knight's armor.

The thug, then seeing the outcome of his attack, blinked - and realized just how outclassed he was. "Uh-oh."

And those were his last words before he was buried under several tons of solid steel.

The Eagle Knights all charge.

Eagle Knight Captain: [roll4]
EC Damage (Nonlethal): [roll5]

Eagle Knight 1 Attack: [roll6]
Eagle Knight 2 Attack: [roll7]
Eagle Knight 3 Attack: [roll8]
EK1 Damage (Nonlethal): [roll9]
EK2 Damage (Nonlethal): [roll10]
EK3 Damage (Nonlethal): [roll11]
With a series of sickening crunches, the Eagle Knights brought down their saps on the thug, who promptly fell to the ground unconscious.

Combat is terminated.

As two of the eagle knights tied up the unconscious thug, the captain walked up to 'Brady-Boy', the lumberjack who had spoken up. "Are you alright, sir?"

"Yeah! Yeah, I'm fine. Axe didn't even come near me. I'm surprised, Halkon's usually not that sloppy." The young man - who, Stray and Brigitte realized upon further reflection, couldn't be older than 15 at most - inclined his head toward the thug. "But more importantly..."

'Brady-Boy' approached Stray and Brigitte.

"So... Obviously, you're that Prince Stray fellow Thuldrin's been having his cronies stir up ill-will toward in town. Obviously, we've always taken what that man said with a grain of salt, but... Is it true? Will we really be getting our own homes? A life not beholden to the Consortium?"

The tone in which 'Brady-Boy' said it suggested that he was scarcely daring to believe that such a thing could ever be true.

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-19, 07:02 PM
"That's right. New houses and as much land as you and a family could farm. There's good hunting on the far side of the river and the fey will provide fresh fruits and vegetables while you relocate. You can elect your own mayor and send the representative you want to the People's Council. We'll even have druids set up here to create a renewable source of lumber and help you plant orchards."

Big charismatic smile before he raises his voice even louder to address as much of the town as possible, "The Lumber Consortium offers you slave wages, intimidation and brutality. It's time you tell Thuldrin Kreed and the entire company to go to Hell! This is Andoran! The only one who should get rich and fat from your hard work is yourself! You lot look strong and determined; you can make your own way without the Consortium telling you what to do."

"And if Kreed or any of his thugs have a problem with that ..." Stray cracks his wrists. "Then they should take it up with me or the Captain."

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-20, 06:14 PM
The lumberjacks and 'Brady-Boy' looked on in absolute wonder, turning toward the Eagle Knight captain as if seeking a second opinion, and several people who had been hiding in their houses nearest the gate came out to look.

"It's true. All of it. Here is your proof." Reaching into his pack, the Captain pulled out a copy of the signed and stamped treaty signed only that morning, handing it to the lumberjacks. Swarming around, they and the other townsfolk began devouring its words.

"This is... We have to tell the others about this right away! To the center of town, quickly!"

Motioning Stray and Brigitte forward, 'Brady-Boy' led them through the gates. A quick walk later, the Trailblazers found themselves facing a second crowd - this time to a large, open area, which appeared to be a market of some kind. Above the crowd stood Thuldrin Kreed, ranting his pretty little head off.

"People of Falcon's Hollow! I have come to warn you about this philanderer, this villain, this blackguard of monstrous proportions - this so-called 'Prince Stray'! He is a trickster of the most evil sort, one who has seduced the fat cats of Almas and turned them against you! Even now, he comes to force you out of your homes, to take everything you own, and to seduce away your wives and daughters! And possibly your sons! Starting today, the Lumber Consortium is offering a 500 gold reward for the head of this fairy! No dissension, no words except those of hatred toward this heathen will be tolerated! Any caught speaking good of him will be fired and 'released to elsewhere'! But assist us in capturing him, and I, Thuldrin Kreed, Master Wizz- err, I mean, I will lead you through these dark times!"

Just then, Kreed - who both Brigitte and Stray noted had suddenly changed voice halfway through and sounded very familiar - turned and spotted the both of thim. "Fairy ^%$@$!" screeched the rogue. "Are you brazen as to walk up and steal this place right out from under us in broad daylight?"

The trailblazers noted several of the villagers brandishing torches and pitchforks.

Othniel
2015-12-20, 07:29 PM
"Monsieur Ferdinand von Muir, Master Wizard," Brigitte said in a half-mocking, half-accusing voice, "Or is that another alias?" As her anger rose, the Galtan's accent thickened, "So good to see you again, you fraud!" Brigitte fixed "Thuldrin Kreed" with an icy stare and pointed at him accusingly. "Who are your real masters? How much is the Lumber Consortium paying you to keep these people in virtual slavery? Now, when my friend Stray has pleaded before the People's Council, not only for the good of Darkmoon Vale, but for these people of Falcon's Hollow as well, you come crawling out of the woodwork like a trained Chelaxian Imp to throw false accusations at him." Brigitte turned away from the wizard to face the crowd. "I have journeyed with Stray. I watched him address the People's Council and talk with the Supreme Elect. He could have stopped at asking the logging to cease, but he went further, offering the friendship of Queen Syntira. There are other particulars, but it is best that I let him speak for himself."

Diplomacy, go! (Brigitte's words are meant for the crowd)
[1oll]1d20+21
Aaand using 1 inspiration point to add [roll0] to the result.

Got a 37 in the OOC for a total of 41.

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-20, 09:20 PM
Stray nods appreciatively at Brigitte.

"First of all: that is an insultingly low bounty. I am worth way more to people so truly evil they'd consider the Lumber Consortium quaint. Second: I have worked tirelessly to craft a mutually beneficial treaty. There never again need by violence between the Fey and the people of Andoran. Third: You're not even Thuldrin Kreed so I fail to see why any of this is your business!"

Stray shoots a finger at "Kreed" and casts Dispel Magic on his disguise.

[roll0] Caster Level Check

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-23, 05:18 PM
As Brigitte began to speak, the crowd - who had previously been rather on edge - began murmuring in confusion. By the time she had finished, angry murmurs had begun again, but this time, the majority of it was directed at Thuldrin - who spoke in a no less angry, but much more halting tone.

"What in the nine hells are you talking about? You are clearly off your-"

But he was then silenced by Stray, and then by Stray's blast of magic. There, standing before them, and dressed in what appeared to be Thuldrin's clothes, was Ferdinand von Muir, Master Wizzard™. He blinked for a second, then brandished his hands.

"So! You have seen through my clever disguise! No matter, for Ferdinand Von Muir, Master Wizard™, will-"

Ferdinand was then promptly cut off as two of the Eagle Guards, who had taken this opportunity to maneuver around the crowd, promptly made a dramatic cocking noise as they leveled their crossbows at him. The Wizard looked one way, then the other, and gulped.

"...I'm not fighting my way out of this one, am I?"

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-23, 11:13 PM
Stray teleports behind Ferdinand and crams a finger into his back. "Explain everything before I disintegrate you," he says softly.

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-25, 10:51 PM
An acrid, ammoniac smell filled the air as Ferdinand stammered.

"Okay, okay! So after we met up the first time, we were chasing whatever you did to fence off that sword when we ran into some Pathfinders from Cheliax! They told us how you're a wanted man there - is it really true you raided Queen Abrogail's lingerie drawer, by the way? - and there'd be a massive reward if you were captured alive! Then, we heard the news about how the Lumber Consortium was paying top gold to get rid of you, and we figured we'd kill two birds with one stone! So the other Pathfinders and the Lumber Consortium both laid traps for you deeper in the forest - I was supposed to stir up the population and then make them drive you back there to try and find reinforcements! I swear that's all I know!"

Stray determined that Ferdinand was telling the truth.

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-26, 12:08 AM
Stray prods the wizard hard, jamming his thumb right between his shoulder blades. "That doesn't sound like everything to me! Playing it fast and loose with the whole not getting turned into a pile of ash by an angry sorcerer, aren't we? I want names. Who's the venture captain you colluded with? Where's the real Kreed? Why does everyone think I stole the Queen's panties? That's so juvenile! She had them shipped to me in a gilded box because she's a freak!"

Othniel
2015-12-26, 02:30 AM
Brigitte had moved to the side (and back to Jean) to allow Stray the "floor" and was now pondering the new information. She tapped her chin thoughtfully and then spoke, "And what happened to the Paladin you were traveling with? I believe her name was Hildegard. I refuse to believe that a Paladin of Iomedae would be involved in something so...sordid." Brigitte flicked her gaze from Stray to Ferdinand, her face a mask of distaste at the idea.

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-27, 09:41 AM
Ferdinand blinked at the remark about the gilded box.

"Really? Damn."

Suddenly remembering his situation, he continued talking.

"Look, I really swear that's all I know! I mean, I guess I could tell you those, but it's not like it'd be much help! The real Kreed's with some lumber consortium thugs in the forest and a few criminals from the local underground laying one of the traps - something about a druid, I wasn't actually paying attention! Me and Yeager aren't working with any venture captain - we're doing this for ourselves - but the Chelaxian Pathfinders are apparently here on orders from one in Senara. His name's Kaixius, or something - who knows with all those random syllables tieflings use in their names?!"

Turning to Brigitte, he gave a half-hearted attempt at a sneer.

"What Hildegard doesn't know won't hurt her. She's not traveling with us anymore, anyway - went back to Woodshaven after you 'didn't find' the sword. In Augustana on pilgrimage last I knew."

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-27, 06:35 PM
"You've exhausted your tenuous usefulness." Stray pats the wizard down quickly to remove his spell component pouch, then seizes him by the ear and drags him towards the Eagle Knights. Before relinquishing him, Stray yanks a few strands of hair from his head.

"Cross me again and I'll scry and fry you."

"Captain?" his sour disposition dissolves and he chirps at the Eagle Knight's leader. "No charges! Unless attempting to enforce a Chelish bounty is a crime. That's between him and Andoran. This is still Andoran land for 15 more months. But, don't let me tell you how to do your job."

He beams brightly at Ferdinand while whispering a Message to him. "But seriously, I will burn everything you love and make you eat the ashes."

1d20+29 to pick-pocket anything valuable from Ferdinand

That finished, he walks nonchalantly through the crowd to the northern gate to begin tracking Kreed's party.

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-29, 12:40 PM
The Eagle Knight captain looked over at Stray. "Technically, no. But colluding with an enemy power with the intent to cause a breach of the piece? I think we can whip something up."

"You can't prove anything! I was under duress..." Ferdinand continued to screech as the Eagle Knights dragged him away. Looking down at his right hand, Stray examined the multitude of items he had grabbed off of Ferdinand, including several useful-looking potions - and his pants (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSynJyq2RRo&t=7m12s).

20 platinum pieces.
A half-eaten ham sandwich.
Three potions of Cure Serious Wounds.
A potion of Fox's Cunning.
His trousers.
In the meantime, the crowd now moved around the other Eagle Knights and 'Brady-Boy', their previous murmurs now turned to ones of curiosity - and possibly hope - as the two animatedly discussed the terms of the treaty.

Walking up to Stray, Dopethrone cleared his throat. "If it's alright with you all, I'm just going to go hit the local tavern. When the Polypurpose Panacea wears off, I intend to be comfortably buzzed again." Pun-Pun, by contrast, looked at the wizard disapprovingly, and then looked back up at his master. "I will go with you, Lord Ssstray. It isss my duty and my joy."

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fc/98/7c/fc987cc49d2d9170851ef1f4ac73f708.jpg

Making their way into the forest, Stray, Brigitte, Pun-Pun and Jean found that the trail, at least from Stray's keen perspective, was quite easy to follow, the heavy boot-prints of the many collaborateurs from the Lumber Consortium and Pathfinders being very heavy and defined - almost as if they had been purposefully left. Eventually, after about an hour's trek into the woods, the intrepid threesome (plus Jean) found themselves in a clearing, the forest now so heavy and dense around them that it was almost impossible to see the sky - which, from a quick gland through the small gaps in the treetops, looked to be getting quite cloudy.

All of a sudden, their attention was drawn to some rustling in the bushes. A small pixie flitted out of the bushes, a desperate look on her tiny face.

"Help! You have to -"

But before she could say any more, a bolt of magic struck her in the back, and she fell to the forest floor. Right after it rang out, the adventurers noticed rustling in the bushes east of them, heading further back into the forest.

You also notice softer rustling sounds coming from the west side of the clearing.
You notice that Jean has also flicked his head back toward the west, as if something is worrying him.

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-29, 03:05 PM
Assured that the pixie will be all right, Stray teleports into the air to the west where he hovers, takes cover behind the trunk of a darkwood tree, and scans the ground for the trouble.

[roll0]

Othniel
2015-12-29, 06:05 PM
Brigitte

"Have to what? You didn't finish," Brigitte muttered after the initial surprise following the pixie's sudden appearance and slumber. Eyeing Jean's attention to the west, followed by Stray's teleportation, Brigitte decided to investigate the creature. Kneeling next to her, Brigitte gently shook the pixie. "Are you all right? Wake up, little one!"

Knowledge check on pixies?

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-29, 06:57 PM
As Stray vanished, Pun-Pun looked around in a panic.

"Lord Ssstray?!" Quickly, he waved his hands, casting a spell. In the meantime, the Pixie blearily opened her eyes, but then nearly shouted in Brigitte's ear!

"You've got to run! It's a trap!"

Idly, Brigitte chose that time of all times to recall the particularities and habits of pixies, for they were many.

Brigitte knew everything from here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/fey/pixie). I will doll this up later.

*** Surprise Round! ***

Jean, unlike his master, had noted the presence of the two Pathfinders skulking in the bushes to the east, and pawed the ground as he prepared to charge them! Stray, in the meantime, on the opposite side of a thick grove of trees, found the source of the other bunch of rustling - a Cleric and Antipaladin, skulking out of the bushes and taking up position behind a couple of barricades, apparently waiting for the Trailblazers to come charging down the path through the woods in search of whatever had spelled the Pixie. The Pixie vanished, having taken on a cloak of invisibility.

Neither Brigitte nor Pun-Pun spotted the Pathfinders, and are thus caught flat-footed. Stray and Jean did, and can act in the surprise round, as they won initiative before the Pathfinders did. As stated earlier, Othniel is in charge of controlling Jean's movements - and, to bring things more in line and keep them consistent, starting with this battle, I will be allowing Nefarion to dictate Pun-Pun's movements in battle. He has already cast Mage Armor on himself.

Pun-Pun's sheet can be found here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=643697).

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-29, 08:41 PM
Stray scowls, keeping his cool despite a broiling contempt. Still hovering behind cover, he lazily flicks his wrist to cast the much practiced Pilfering Hand to abscond with the cleric's holy symbol.

Archaeologist's Luck up! 12/13 rounds left
If a Sleight of Hand check is allowed [roll0]
If not, a Steal/Disarm maneuver vs CMD [roll1]
Stealth check if needed for the new round [roll2]

Othniel
2015-12-30, 12:43 AM
Jean

The giant elk, disliking the sight of both slayer and ranger to begin with pawed the ground for a moment and then broke suddenly into a sprint. The sprint quickly turned into a charge, and soon 1300 pounds of giant, antler-tipped muscle was speeding toward the slayer.

Jean charging at the slayer. Gets a +2 attack bonus when charging, but suffers a -2 ac penalty at the same time.
Using Power Attack (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/power-attack-combat---final) and Impaling Charge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/impaling-charge-monster).

Extra damage from Powerful Charge (if attack hits) [roll2]
Combat Maneuver: Grapple from Impaling Charge: [roll3]

Note: Both Damage and Extra Damage rolls include Power Attack bonus damage.
If you rule that the Powerful Charge damage increases because of Improved Natural Attack (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/improved-natural-attack), we can probably add that in after the fact, eh?

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-30, 08:12 AM
Immediately, what appeared to be a slayer roared in pain as the elk found him out, goring him with his antlers. Swearing, he brought down his scimitar on Jean, while a ranger popped out from the bushes and loosed an arrow at Brigitte. Idly, Brigitte noted that they both appeared to be using cold iron weapons.

"IT DIDN'T WORK! PLAN B!"

Slayer Attack: [roll0]

Ranger Attack (vs Brigitte FF): [roll2]
Both attcks found their mark, with the scimitar sinking into Jean's thick hide as the arrow pierced Brigitte's flesh.

Meanwhile, on the opposite side of the line of trees, the two would-be ambushers were having problems of their own, as Stray's pilfering hands absconded with the priest's holy symbol.

"MY HOLY SYMBOL!"

"BACK INTO THE HOLLOW AND GET YOUR SPARE! I'LL DEAL WITH OUR PREY!"

It was at this juncture that Stray took full stock of the situation. He had teleported into some other kind of clearing, with a cage full of seemingly unconscious dryads in the middle of it. Around its base, previously hidden from view, appeared to be a pressure plate of some kind, covered with moss and turf.

The cleric and antipaladin, in the meantime, were both wearing full plate - and, of greater concern, were both wielding cold iron weapons! (The cleric, for his part, was carrying a spear, while the Antipaladin was carrying a longbow and cold iron arrows.)

The cleric tottered toward the hill beside which the trap had been set, apparently keen on retrieving a backup symbol. The antipaladin (who, unlike his human fellows, was a tiefling), for his part, cast Protection from Good on himself.

"COME OUT, COME OUT, WHEREVER YOU ARE..."

Cleric moves to AD15. Antipaladin remains stationary and casts Protection from Good on himself, which Stray identifies.

Roll for initiative.

Have fun!

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-30, 01:06 PM
"I'll just steal that one too, moron!" Stray taunts the cleric before repeating the trick on the antipaladin's bow.

[roll0] Steal vs CMD

Bow slung over one arm and holy symbol in hand, Stray flits off to deal with the others.

Meanwhile, Pun-Pun launches a trio of magic missiles at the slayer while running for cover in the grass. (7 damage)

Othniel
2015-12-30, 04:39 PM
Brigitte

Gasping in pain as the arrow sank into her flesh, Brigitte slipped a vial from her bandoleer and drank it as she moved toward the ranger.

Standard Action to drink an extract of Invisibility (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/invisibility).
Move action to...move. :smallbiggrin:

If the Ranger shoots her again (successfully), Brigitte will use her Vambraces of Defense (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/vambraces-of-defense) to deflect the shot.

Jean

Meanwhile, Brigitte's newest friend was in combat with the slayer. First ramming its antlers at the slayer, Jean then reared up and attempted to strike his target with both hooves.

Using Multiattack to strike with all 3 natural attacks. Power Attack on everything!
Gore Attack: [roll0]

Hoof 1: [roll2]

Hoof 2: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Lord Of Mantas
2015-12-31, 09:53 PM
The tiefling antipaladin roared in a furious rage as the still-unseen Stray nabbed his bow out of his hands.

"WANT TO PLAY IT LIKE THAT, LITTLE MORSEL? WELL, FINE. YOU CAN'T FIGHT WHAT YOU CAN'T SEE!"

Chanting, the tiefling suddenly turned invisible, vanishing from Stray's sight. Even with the augmentation of the spell, however, Stray's keen eyes were able to detect the slight imprints in the grass as the tiefling made to stalk toward the fight with Brigitte.

You just beat the tiefling's stealth check - he is currently at AL12, or so you think.
Meanwhile, over on the other side of the grove, the now-invisible Pixie seemed determined to help her would-be rescuers, loosing an arrow from her invisible form to strike the Chelaxian Ranger.

The pixie fires a single arrow, which, as a free action, she sprinkles with magic dust. The ranger, if he does not make his will save, will be affected as though by sleep.

Sleep (vs Will): [roll2]
Unfortunately, the Pixie's arrow went wide, whizzing by the Ranger's ear.

Brigitte, in turn, found herself occupied with a very angry Slayer and Ranger fully intent on murderizing the lot of them. The slayer laid into Jean with a series of two-handed flurries, while the Ranger, unable to spot the investigator, decided to try and make Kobold kebabs instead.

Ranger Attack 1: [roll3]
Ranger Attack 2: [roll4]

Ranger Damage 1: [roll5]
Ranger Damage 2: [roll6]

Slayer Attack 1: [roll7]
Slayer TWF: [roll8]
Slayer Attack 2: [roll9]
Slayer ITWF: [roll10]

Slayer Damage 1: [roll11]
Slayer Damage TWF: [roll12]
Slayer Damage 2: [roll13]
Slayer Damage ITWF: [roll14]
Thankfully, only one attack from each managed to hit either of their targets, but a whinny and scream of pain nonetheless filled the forest.

Nefarion Xid
2015-12-31, 10:10 PM
Stray sets his sights on the Ranger and makes a raking motion with his hand, clawing at his eyes with necrotic energy from across the distance. Pun-Pun fires off another barrage of magic missiles and retreats to safety around the bulk of a tree where he throws himself in the grass to hide.

Blindness on Ranger: [roll0] vs Fort
Magic Missile [roll1]

Othniel
2015-12-31, 10:41 PM
Brigitte

Angered at both the Ranger and Slayer, Brigitte charged toward the now blinded Ranger and stabbed at him with her Rapier.

Jean

The megaloceros, incensed at the slayer's blows strikes once more with his antlers and hooves.

Brigitte Charge attack vs Ranger (+2 to attack, -2 to ac): [roll0]

Jean Gore (power) attack vs Slayer: [roll2]

Hoof 1 Attack: [roll4]

Hoof 2 Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-01, 08:57 AM
With a bellow, Jean's powerful antlers pierced right through the hapless slayer, impaling the Chelaxian Pathfinder before tossing him over his head and leaving his bleeding and dying body ragdolled in the dirt. In the meantime, the Pixie took another shot at the Ranger, once more imbuing her arrow with the power of sleep.

Sleep (vs. Will): [roll2]
The arrow hit home, but did little more than annoy the Ranger, who, in the meantime, screamed as Brigitte's rapier cut into him and he lost his sight. "F***ING B***H! YOU ARE IN FOR A WORLD OF PAIN!" Dropping his bow, he drew a cold iron Kukri from his belt and slashed haphazardly in Brigitte's direction. Meanwhile, the invisible antipaladin continued to creep toward the site of the battle.

Attack: [roll3]
Miss Chance (50%): [roll4]
Regrettably, while the Ranger thrust in the right direction, Brigitte found herself easily able to sidestep the attack. Stray, in the meantime, lost track of the exact movements of the antipaladin, his steps apparently having grown softer.

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-01, 01:46 PM
Stray *bamf*s across the expanse and touches Jean on the flank to heal him while barking orders. "Pixie, you got a name? Get some altitude and watch for the invisible tiefling coming through the grass. Pun-Pun, to me!"

As ordered, Pun-Pun races around the tree and starts towards his master.

CLW on Jean [roll0]
Teleport ready in [roll1] rounds

Othniel
2016-01-01, 03:21 PM
Brigitte

Brigitte eyed her opponent for a moment, sizing him up and looking for weak spots. Then she struck.

Jean, likewise turning his attention to the ranger, pawed the ground and charged.

Move Action to use Studied Combat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/investigator) against the Ranger: (adds 1/2 level on attack rolls and as damage bonus against target)
Free Action to use Studied Strike against the Ranger: Adds an extra 4d6 damage and dismisses Studied Target.
Attack vs Ranger:
Damage: [roll1] plus [4d6

Jean charge attack vs Ranger (using power attack): [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] plus Powerful Charge bonus of [roll4]

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-01, 03:38 PM
With a swift and studied strike, Brigitte rammed her rapier through the underside of the Ranger's jaw, pulling it back to send his lifeless corpse sprawling upon the ground.

The pixie, in the meantime, *poomf*ed back into visibility and turned to Stray. "My name is Euterpe, my lord. The tiefling... I can't find a sign of him anywhere. It's like he's vanished!"

As she turned to scan the overgrown path to the trapped area, however, Brigitte and Stray quickly spotted her holding her hand behind her back. Examining the signs she was making with it, they quickly realized what she was trying to communicate.

He's about 50 feet away from me.

And then there were two.

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-02, 01:33 PM
Pun-Pun scampers over for a casting of Cure Light Wounds. Stray obliges before leaping into the air to hover thirty feet off the ground.

"Hey, **** for brains," he calls out to the west while scanning the grass carefully. "First off, I can see you. Second, we just killed two of your friends. Dude with the scimitars is bleeding out and your ranger got a sword through his brain. All you ***** have done is give my minion a boo-boo. He's better now. I mean, this giant deer is just going to maul you. Is that what you want man? You want to get your **** knocked out by a woodland creature? I don't think you want to go out like that. If I were you, I'd just start walking south before I get bored and whip out my big boy spells."

CLW: 1d8+5
Bluff/Intimidate[roll0]

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-02, 02:28 PM
Briefly the woods were silent. They were then broken by the tiefling antipaladin's deep voice.

"SCREW THIS! THERE'S GOT TO BE SOME PEOPLE I CAN LOOT AND EAT WHO DON'T PUT UP SO MUCH OF A FIGHT!"

And then the tiefling ran off into the distance, still invisible, but with his loud, repetitive clanking (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0024.html) clearly giving him away.

The pixie looked uneasily at Stray. "Do you really think it was wise to just..." She then shook her head, a look of worry coming over her. "Anyway, your highness, you have to hurry into the hollow over there!" She pointed into the clearing to the East, past the cage with the unconscious dryads and to the door where the Cleric had disappeared to get his backup holy symbol. "These Pathfinders - they were working with the bad humans to try and lure you into the forest to kill you! They've also captured others, who are being held there - the members of a kobold tribe who got tricked into coming to them for help with giant spiders, and a human girl-druid!"

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-02, 02:44 PM
"Nah I just lied to him. That tiefling is pure evil and he needs to go down. My talents are just needed elsewhere right now," he says quietly with a nods toward the dryads. "His invisibility will wear off in about 5 minutes. It won't be hard to track him. Call for some friends, follow him, fill him full of arrows. He isn't allowed to leave the forest alive." Stray waits for an affirmative from Euterpe.

He spares another CLW for Pun-Pun and Jean each before flying west to hide behind a tree and observe for a moment.

CLW Jean [roll0]
Pun-Pun is back to full HP

Othniel
2016-01-03, 03:27 AM
Brigitte

Gently pulling the arrow from her thigh (and grimacing slightly), Brigitte checked the bodies of the ranger and slayer for useful items or information.

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-04, 07:50 PM
Taking cover from behind a tree, Pun-Pun not far behind, Stray carefully observed the cage of captured dryads. It soon became apparent that, much like the pixie had been affected, they were not wounded or injured, but rather merely sleeping - likely via magical means. Additionally, around the cage, Stray could now spot a series of pressure-activated traps, covered with respread dirt and grass to look natural.

Then, a scream came from the hollow, along with the mad cackling of what could only be the cleric. The cackling died down quickly, giving way to what appeared to be gloating, but Stray could not make it out.
Looting the corpses of the slayer and ranger, Brigitte found the following items.

2 Masterwork Cold Iron Kukri
1 Masterwork Cold Iron Scimitar
40x Cold Iron Arrows
+1 Mithral Breastplate
+1 Composite (+4) Darkwood Longbow
+1 Breastplate

She also found a hastily scrawled note upon the Ranger's person.

The job is simple.

If all goes according to plan, that simpering fey prince, his Galtan girlfriend, and his pet lizard will be driven into the forest, seeking the backup of his kind. I have captured several dryads, as well as a pixie, along with the entirety of that Druid enclave who was to help him. I want you to take one of them, the dryads, and the pixie, and use them to lure him into an ambush. Kill the girl and lizard, then, when he is at his weakest, tie him up, and force him to watch as his friends and would-be allies are killed in the slowest, cruelest manner possible. I am lead to believe that there is a nearby kobold tribe who's been having some problems with giant spiders. It would be fitting indeed if they were to be tricked, the spiders rounded up, and then they and everyone executed via lowering into a 'spider pit' so to speak. Yes, that will do nicely.

-Kreed

Off in the distance to the west, Brigitte heard a scream.

Othniel
2016-01-05, 02:57 AM
Brigitte

As Brigitte finished tucking the weapons into belts, and stuffing the armor into her handy haversack, Brigitte reads the letter. Indignation written large on her face for only Jean to see, Brigitte thrust the paper into a pocket and looked at her companion. "Girlfriend indeed! Hmph!"

Then she heard a scream in the distance. Swinging up onto Jean's back, she bid the megaloceros make haste, riding toward the sound of the scream.

I don't know how long all that takes, or if we're still in rounds. If we are, she'll only grab the +1 mithral breastplate, as it's the most valuable, and the note (of course). She then makes all haste on Jean's back toward the sound.

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-05, 02:45 PM
Stray hangs his pilfered goods in the tree while commanding Pun-Pun, "Stay here. Don't go near the cage, it's trapped. If anyone runs out of that cave, blast them."

He waves Brigitte forward before taking a stealthy approach to the cave's mouth. There he casts Greater Invisibility on himself and slips inside.

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-05, 04:37 PM
Descending down into the hollow together, no sooner had Brigitte and Stray snuck 15 feet or so than they came upon a conveniently-placed chest-high wall - and beyond that, a scene that seemed straight out of a copper dreadful.

The Cleric of Asmodeus was there, as they had anticipated, but what really caught their attention was what was at the middle of the room. To the west, a rather shapely young woman with bright red hair - about 20, it looked like - and a female-looking kobold with an ornate headress were bound, gagged, and strapped to a giant pole being suspended over a giant pit. From that pit, much skittering and insectoid screeching could be heard. At the side of the pit, two ramps could be seen, the northmost of which had yet another lever beside it, and each of which had chains hanging over the top. Pulling the giant lever next to him, the Cleric of Asmodeus continued to laugh.

"Scream all you want through your gags, my pretties, but you're doomed now! Inch by inch, this pole will lower you into the pit of giant spiders, until at last you are within their reach! Then, you be webbed, bitten, and feasted upon, your insides turned to mush and your flesh sucked out of your bodies - your precious prince Stray far too late to help you, even as my comrades turn him into a fine paste outside this very hollow! Oh, how deeply ironic... That he came so close to saving you, and yet so far away."

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-05, 05:05 PM
Stray sneaks behind the Cleric, throws his arms about his waist, then teleports to hover over the pit while dropping the Cleric like a sack of evil laundry.

"Oh wow. I am ... I am a little sorry about that. Avert your eyes, kids! Oh the humanity! Yeah I'm not normally violent, but these guys have got me all out of sorts today. I mean, sometimes you just have to throw a guy into a pit of spiders, am I right? He just ... he had it coming."

Stray chatters to himself over the sound of the cleric screaming while cutting the captives free and flying them to safety.

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-05, 05:22 PM
With Stray's invisibility and natural talent at stealth, the Cleric of Asmodeus never saw it coming.

One moment, he was standing to gloat at his captive's imminent demise. The next, he was falling and screaming, and hit the bottom of the pit like a hefty bag full of vegetable soup, before the spiders were upon him, the man screaming as they tore and bit at his flesh.

The girl and kobold princess, for their part, had been quite terrified at first, but as Stray made his presence known and flew them to safety, their noises turned to ones of relief and gratitude. Shaking herself off, the girl stood up and cleared her throat.

"My father would switch me if he heard me say this, but I have to agree with you. That man... that man deserved what he got, kidnapping me and Laurala's people like this."

"You can sssay that again, sssister."

Looking around, Stray and Brigitte saw that they were not the only occupants of the cave. To the south, shut in cages buried in the walls themselves, many other kobolds were locked away - about 20 or so in all, they guessed. They had formerly been quite silent, presumably accepting of their fate, but now perked up at their captor's demise, several of them murmuring hopefully.

The druidess curtsied. "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Gabrielle Hackett, and I'm Jaeger's younger sister. I'd have to bet you're Prince Stray, right?"

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-05, 05:47 PM
"Well, he worshiped Asmodeus, so all I've done is brought him closer to his god. He should be thanking me. If lemures were capable of speech. Or gratitude. Really, best of luck in hell, mate! No hard feelings!? Yeah, we're good." he shouts down to the pit.

"Pun-Pun! Get in here and incinerate these spiders!" He calls to his loyal vassal before trotting off to free the kobolds. He continues, perfectly aware he hasn't answered Gabrielle's question, "You're Jaeger's sister? Where has he gotten off to? I came out looking here to look for him! I didn't expect the B-Team of Villains to ... whatever this was."

"Ah, there he is," Stray chirps when Pun-Pun enters. "Go on and show these vermin the Blood of Dragons!"

Othniel
2016-01-05, 06:21 PM
Brigitte

Leaving Stray to speak with the druidess and kobold, Brigitte looks around for a mechanism or key to release the other captives. Failing that, she breaks out her tools and starts picking the locks.

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-13, 11:00 PM
Gabrielle frowned as Stray appeared to be deliberately dodging her question, but replied to his nonetheless, worry etched into her face.

"My brother... My family... They were taken by Kreed's goons, three days ago, and only I managed to escape. I've been dodging through the woods trying to get to Falcon's Hollow to raise the alarm ever since, but I got caught yesterday by these thugs. I'd just about given up hope of getting rescued when you came in."

She stared at Stray intently. "If you want to help my brother, then listen. Kreed - he's not working alone. Along with his Lumber Consortium goons, he's got help from this Chelaxian Pathfinder - a venture-captain named Kaxius. He's got a whole squad of thugs armed to the teeth, many more for meat-shields, and people with the ability to see invisibility - that was how they caught Mom."

It was then that Pun-Pun entered, striding up to the pit. "Presssent, Lord Ssstray! Where are the..."

It was then that Pun-Pun, Princess Laurala, and a second, slightly younger-looking regal-looking female Kobold (who appeared to be her sister), locked eyes.

They stared into each-other's visages for a long time (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JWTaaS7LdU).

"...you will have to forgive Pun-Pun, ladiesss. I don't think I know your names... with sssuch lovely visssages, I think Pun-Pun would recall."

Laurala and the other Kobold Princess blushed.

"I am Princessss Laurala, and thisss is my sissster, Adriaak. What'ssss a handsssome sorceror like yourssself doing out here?"

The three began talking and fluttering eyelashes, oblivious to the world around them.

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-14, 12:57 AM
"Worry not. We'll take care of Kreed and rescue your family! Everyone just sit tight here. Talk amongst yourselves. I'm going to go track that tiefling down before he gets away."

Stray puts on a winning smile as he omits that he's about to shoot the antipaladin with his own bow. Repeatedly.

Before he leaves, he produces his canteen and offers it up to the kobold prisoners. He then goes to collect the tiefling's longbow and the ranger's quiver before following the antipaladin's tracks from the air.

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-15, 12:54 AM
Moving south, it was only a matter of minutes before Stray found the unconscious antipaladin - a swarm of pixies surrounding him.

"It took a lot of arrows, but he is officially down for the count, your Lordship. If I may be so bold to suggest... I know we traditionally do not seek to kill those who trespass against us, but this guy... he really seems to want everything and everyone dead. We found... We found this upon his body."

The pixie handed Stray a small token. Upon it, Stray immediately recognized the symbol of Rovagug.

"He is currently helpless... I leave it to you, your Lordship."
As Pun-Pun proceeded to chat up the kobold princesses, Gabrielle eventually let out a harrumph and motioned back to the pit of spiders. Jumping in a fit of startlement, Pun-Pun dusted himself off before walking to the edge of the pit, taking in a deep breath, and letting out a stream of dragon-fire into the bottom. The smell of burning insect flesh and their dying screeches soon filled the cavern, and the kobolds assembled ooohed at the display.

After the last spider crackled and died, the cleric's similarly-charred body was hauled up. Despite soot stains, most of his equipment appeared to be intact.

+1 Cold Iron Longspear
+1 Breastplate

Pondering the name of Kaixius, Brigitte recalled a dossier she had seen once upon a time. From what she could recall, Kaixius was a Pathfinder Venture-Captain based out of Senara, a town located in the devil-spawn-infested Whisper Woods of Cheliax. A tiefling himself, Kaixius had gained something of a reputation in recent years for not only his prolific work in uncovering old ruins belonging to past worshippers of Asmodeus, but also in his work for keeping the good of Cheliax - those who worshiped Iomedae, Desna, or any other of the good gods - downtrodden. But more chillingly, it was said that Kaixius had the aid of a phantasm - a ghost consumed by fear, bound to him through magic composed not of arcana or divinity, but of the occult - of the mind.

Kaixius was also reported to be morbidly fascinated with death, and to carry a scythe as his main weapon.

Othniel
2016-01-15, 03:14 AM
Brigitte

"Stray, this Kaixius is not a good person. I remember reading about him. He's the Venture-Captain in Senara which is in the Whisper Woods of Cheliax. He's a tiefling with a penchant for uncovering old ruins belonging to Asmodeus worshippers and works against the followers of good dieties. It is said that he has the aid of a ghost consumed with fear and is obsessed with death, even going as far as favoring a scythe as his weapon of choice."

Brigitte fished into her pocket and pulled out the note she had previously recovered from the Ranger. Handing it to Stray, she explained, "This looks to be their plans for dealing with us."

The job is simple.

If all goes according to plan, that simpering fey prince, his Galtan girlfriend, and his pet lizard will be driven into the forest, seeking the backup of his kind. I have captured several dryads, as well as a pixie, along with the entirety of that Druid enclave who was to help him. I want you to take one of them, the dryads, and the pixie, and use them to lure him into an ambush. Kill the girl and lizard, then, when he is at his weakest, tie him up, and force him to watch as his friends and would-be allies are killed in the slowest, cruelest manner possible. I am lead to believe that there is a nearby kobold tribe who's been having some problems with giant spiders. It would be fitting indeed if they were to be tricked, the spiders rounded up, and then they and everyone executed via lowering into a 'spider pit' so to speak. Yes, that will do nicely.

-Kreed

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-15, 02:56 PM
"You've done well," Stray addresses the pixies. "Is anyone hurt?"

"He'll be dealt with, but he may yet have valuable information. I will persuade him to divulge all about his wicked brethren ... then Syntira can pass judgement on him."

Assuming none of the fey are injured, Stray strips the tiefling of his gear, orders the pixies to follow him, tosses the tiefling over his shoulder and flies back to the others. He pauses to finally free the dryads (and disarm the traps). After, he tosses the antipaladin in the kobold's cell and locks the door.

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-16, 01:47 AM
Gabrielle, Laurala, Pun-Pun, and the pixies and kobolds looked to Stray and Brigitte. "So... What now?"

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-16, 06:20 PM
Stray picks up a rock and looks at it thoughtfully for a moment before launching it at the antipaladin's head (perhaps slightly harder than he intended).

"Hey, *******! Wakey wakey! Where are Kreed and the others?"

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-17, 02:04 AM
*** Two minutes ago.. ***

It was a simple matter to defuse the grenades scattered around the cage, and to open the lock. Blinking, the dryads rubbed away the sleep from their eyes.

"Wha... Oh! Prince Stray!" One of them bowed. "I knew you would save us!"

*** Meanwhile, back in the present... ***

Blinking awake as the rock hit his head, the Tiefling snarled like a savage animal.

"YOU WILL GET NOTHING FROM ME, WORTHLESS FEY SCUM. YOUR SOULS BELONG TO ROVAGUG!"

Straining, he attempted to bend the bars of his cage...

Strength Check (vs DC 24): [roll0]
The bars creaked dangerously, but did not move.

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-17, 12:50 PM
Stray doesn't flinch, but he does draw his rapier. If the tiefling charges the bars again, he stabs it.

"I've met Elemental Evil before, but I didn't know that Elemental Stupid existed. What do you care what happens to Kreed? Hm? Tell me where he is and how to defeat him and I will merely kill you. I will send you down to the lower planes for your reward. If you refuse to help me ... I shall force a Potion of Opposite Alignment down your throat first, tranforming you mind and soul into a a flawless, selfless being with nothing in your simple mind but altruism and honor! So help me, you will spend the rest of your days volunteering in soup kitchens, helping little old ladies across the street and ... ORGANIZING BAKE SALES TO BENEFIT ORPHANS!"

[roll0]

Othniel
2016-01-17, 01:52 PM
"You should just give him the potion anyway," Brigitte muttered, coming up behind Stray. "Ask him about Kaixius as well," she added, louder.

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-17, 01:55 PM
As Stray continued to speak, the antipaladin's eyes shrunk more and more, until they were mere pin-pricks...

"...and ORGANIZING BAKE SALES TO BENEFIT ORPHANS!"

"NO! NO, PLEASE! ANYTHING BUT THAT! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynY2begPzoM&t=0m15s) ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT, I'LL TALK!"

"KREED'S CAMP IS JUST THREE MORE MILES TO THE NORTH! HE'S GOT AT LEAST TWENTY MEN WITH HIM - EIGHT THUGS FROM THE FALCON'S HOLLOW CRIMINAL UNDERGROUND, ANOTHER EIGHT FROM THE LUMBER CONSORTIUM, AND THEN FOUR HIGH-RANKING PATHFINDERS FROM CHELIAX TO LEAD THEM ALL, INCLUDING A VENTURE-CAPTAIN - HIS NAME'S KAIXIUS, HE'S ONE OF THEM NEWFANGLED SPIRITUALIST GUYS THAT WERE INTRODUCED WHEN THEY RELEASED THE NEW BUHLMAN CLASSIFICATIONS! HE'S ALSO GOT A WIZARD WHO'S BEEN GOING AROUND CASTING SEE INVISIBILITY ON THE KEY GUARDS, WITH A SPELL TO MAKE IT PERMANENT, AND HE'S KEEPING A BUNCH OF PRISONERS IN THE CENTER OF THE CAMP. A DRUID, I DIDN'T BOTHER TO REMEMBER HIS NAME! ALL I KNOW IS THAT THE TENT IS COVERED IN AN ANTIMAGIC FIELD!"

Gabrielle groaned in frustration. "Just great. An anti-magic field?"

*** Elsewhere, on our own earth about six years ago... ***

"Oh, you just pulled that one out of your ass, didn't you!?" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fhGS0tAcQg&t=2m51s) Spoony spat, exasperated at the latest plot development in Final Fantasy VIII. "So, why can't they just use magic to overpower the guards or to summon the goddess of ice to blow the door off the hinges?" He adopted the manner of a clueless writer. "Uh, there's a... There's a... Anti-magic field!" Full blown anger returned to his face. "Oh, of course! So someone just invented that, huh?! How the hell does that work!?"

*** Meanwhile, on a local access TV channel... ***

"How does it work, you may be asking? How? With SCIENCE, of course!" Standing proudly in front of the TV cameras in his usual lab coat and swirly goggles, Dr. Insano proudly held up the latest wares he was hawking up to the lens - an anti-magic field generator kit. "I'm Dr. Insano! It's what I do! And if you order today, I can have the Dr. Insano Anti-Magic Field Generator Kit overnighted to you! Never again be humiliated by such do-gooder arcane superheroes like Dr. Strange, or John Constantine, or Zatanna! Dr. Strange... What's he supposed to be a doctor of, anyway?! I don't see him doing any real SCIENCE! But now you can shut them down with the new Dr. Insano Anti-Magic Field Generator Kit, with its three settings: Starting from it's lowest economical green setting, David Blaine, all the way up to its highest industrial strength power, David Copperfield! No magic will touch you, and it's all thanks to the new Dr. Insano Anti-Magic Field Generator Kit!" The mad scientist cackled with glee.

*** Back with Spoony... ***

"I'm sorry, but if anti-magic fields have been invented, and they're common knowledge, why in the hell is the fey sorceress such a big problem!?" Spoony blinked. "Wait... why did I say fey?"

*** Back with Dr. Insano... ***

"'But Dr. Insano', you may be asking?! 'How am I supposed to plug it in? I have so many other of your wonderful gadgets!' Not to worry, dear consumer! I've thought ahead! I've installed this additional dongly thing, which adds Three! Additional! Outlets! So you'll have plenty of room to plug in your iPhone charger! Yes! It's wonderful, isn't it? Now, how much would you be willing to pay for the Dr. Insano Anti-Magic Field Generator Kit? $499? $599? What price total global domination over magical-powered superheroes, you ask? Well, as you can tell, I'm Insano! And my deals are also crazy! You see, you too can own the Dr. Insano Anti-Magic Field Generator Kit for only $99.95! And, as an additional bonus, I'll even thrown in the two Dr. Insano Robotic Grabby Things, so that you can safely handle the raritanium nuclear ore that goes inside the Anti-Magic Field Generator Kit!"

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-17, 05:59 PM
"Wow! Kreed has really pissed away a lot of money just to mildly inconvenience me, hasn't he? I'm not even mad; I'm impressed. Hm? Oh, right. Pun-Pun? Take the kids out and summon them up some snacks? Thank you!" Once the little kobolds have been ushered out, Stray commands the tiefling, "Fair's fair. Get on your knees and I'll make it quick."

If he complies, Stray teleports behind him and runs him through. If he doesn't, Stray still teleports in and stabs him until he drops anyway.

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-18, 01:35 AM
The antipaladin scrunched up his face. "I'M NOT GOING DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT, YOU-"

One of the dryads touched two fingers to her forehead before extending her palm in a kata. <SUGGESTION.>

The antipaladin stopped talking.

"I suggest that when we let you out of the cage, you simply kneel down on the ground and remain still."

The antipaladin nodded. 40 seconds later, his lifeless corpse fell to the floor of the hollow, a neat rapier shaped hole extending from his upper thoracic spine all the way out through the immediate left of the sternum.

For the sake of expediency, since at this point he really is no threat to you.

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-19, 02:06 PM
Stray cleans his rapier with a magic while giving the dryad a wry smile for saving him a spell. "All of you, please stay here and see that the kobolds are fed and have a place to sleep. I'll go ahead and see what Kreed's defenses amount to. There's no reason for any of you to risk your lives on my account. This unpleasantness will all be over soon."

He continues smiling dumbly while he goes about stoppering up the holes in the tiefling. Using Prestidigitation, he spells out the words, "HE GOT PAID MORE THAN YOU" on the tiefling's chest and back before cramming him into the bag of holding.

"Lestrade, since you're going to insist on coming, I won't attempt to dissuade you. But do wait here until I fetch you at nightfall. They may be able to see invisibility, but darkness will still give us an advantage."

Stray goes north, flying at an altitude of at least 800 feet.

Othniel
2016-01-19, 06:11 PM
"Very well," Brigitte replied. "But do not take unnecessary risks! I would hate to explain your disappearance to Cristoph."

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-20, 01:48 AM
Stray

Lazily flying north, Stray eventually came across what could only be Kreed's camp, a massive wooden palisade about 200 feet long located smack in the middle of a bunch of haphazardly demolished and dismantled trees. Four wooden towers, along with a gatehouse, lined its walls, with several canvas tents, a collection of barrels and crates, an outhouse, and a firepit making up the contents. Observing the largest of the tents, and the rather familiar slimy-looking and red-looking speck, Stray determined that it must be the residence of Kreed (with the red speck being Kaixius). Also of note was one particularly small tent in the back, which had two guards posted at the entrance at all times.

Brigitte

With Stray gone for the moment, the dryads bid farewell to Brigitte, Gabrielle, Pun-Pun, and the others - even if Stray was insisting on going alone, news of this kind had to be delivered to Syntira as soon as possible. The kobolds, left to their own devices, then began gathering around Pun-Pun, who proceeded to deliver tales of his (mostly fictional) exploits while Gabrielle, apparently rather exhausted from her ordeal, elected to take a nap.

"...and that was the lassst time I tried usssing dire penguins as improvised ssskis just to sssee what would happen."

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-20, 03:02 PM
Stray spares a moment to cast Glibness. He then drops the tiefling's corpse, aiming for one of the barracks tents. While it's still falling, he uses Major Image to place a forty feet tall illusion of himself standing on the ramparts.

"Hi kids! Stray here. Real talk? I'm in a pretty lousy mood and if you ***** aren't out of my forest by sundown I'm going to make you eat each other. Literally. I'm going to make half of you into chunky chilly and feed you to the other half. Then I'm going to repeat the process so that ... well, you get the idea. Anyway, here's your tiefling back. Remember that guy? He was fun!"

*crash*

"I fed your cleric to some giant spiders. Oh, and the other two got mauled to death by a deer. I mean ... a deer! They were way better than you and they got their lungs ripped out by woodland creatures. Ha! Good times. Anyway, the big chili cook off is at sundown tonight!"

Stray mockingly rubs his stomach with a toothy grin, then darts away at full speed.

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-20, 07:52 PM
Stray

*** On the ground, 30 seconds earlier... ***

Life in the lumber consortium was highly unpleasant.

The hours were just long enough that you wouldn't quite keel over from exhaustion when your shift was up, the pay only just enough to keep you personally from starving, and you got to travel into woods infested with fey just because your boss was homicidally crazy and evil enough that he believed he had a chance to defeat him if he could just lure him into trying to rescue his former associate.

So it was that three members of the Lumber Consortium, it being the end of their shift, huddled around the smouldering embers of the fire, desperately trying to keep it from going out as the skies grew darker and darker, the smell of rain heavy in the air.

"I'm so hungry, I could eat the hind shank of a porcupine!"

"I could eat a whole porcupine plus the front shank of a skunk!"

"I could eat me a whole porcupine, a whole skunk, a weasel's giblets and the horse you rode in on!"

"Silence."

A javelin landed in the middle of the trio, who jumped back by reflex. Thuldrin Kreed stepped forward, followed by the leader of the Chelaxian Pathfinders, Kaixius.

"If you must jabber incessantly, do so where your blathering will not disturb our planning. The hour will soon be nigh, and Stray will waltz into our camp - only to be filled with arrows and steel when he realizes that he can be seen. And at last, the forest will be mine! MINE! BUWAHAHAHAHAH-"

"Hi kids! Stray here!"

*** Back in the present... ***

All the assembled thugs and fighters, and even most of the Pathfinders, gaped at the body of the dead Antipaladin. At long last, one of the men on the towers spoke.

"F*** this s***!"

To a man, everyone except Kaixius and Kreed ran for the trees, many of them screaming as the two attempted to slash and stab those running past.

"GET BACK HERE, YOU F***ING COWARDS! DON'T FORGET WHO PAYS YOU! I WILL FIND YOU AFTER THIS IS ALL OVER!"

His threats ineffective, and now only backed up by Kaixius, Kreed stood at the foot of the empty gatehouse and screamed into the woods.

"YOU WANT TO HAVE A CHILI COOKOFF, STRAY!? OH, WE'LL HAVE A CHILI COOKOFF - WITH THE MEAT OF YOUR FRIEND JAEGER, HIS SISTER, AND HIS PARENTS! YOU BRING THE SPICES!"

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-20, 08:13 PM
Stray head meanwhile used a bit of charcoal to draw a frowny face with chubby cheeks on his hand in a crude likeness of creed.

"You're just angry because you haven't gotten laid this century, aren't you Kreed?"

The hand puppet responded, "I use violent racism as a defense mechanism to deal with my sexual inadequacies!"

"Aww, that's too bad. You probably just need more greens in your diet. Would you like a salad?"

"No!"

"It's good for you!"

"I don't wanna!"

"I'm not taking no for an answer!" Stray began to cram leaves into his hand puppet. "Sa'right?"

"Sa'right!"

When the real Kreed finally blundered out of the gate and within spell range, Stray giggled and hastily shoved his glove back on. While ripping off their weapons was tempting, he elected instead to go for the big guns and simply Dominate the fat one.

Caster Level for SR [roll0]
[roll1] vs Will

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-20, 08:17 PM
Stray

From afar, Stray could spot Kreed's eyes widen, his body going limp - a clear sign that the dominatio had taken. Kaixius turned cautiously toward the man, gripping his switchscythe tightly.

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-20, 08:25 PM
"I feel like I should be surprised, but I'm not. I'm awesome." Stray thrusts out his hand and calls the scythe to him.

[roll0] vs CMD

Whether or not Pilfering hand succeeds, Stray commands Kreed to grab the tiefling and yell, "I'm Papa Bear! Rawr!"

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-20, 10:13 PM
Stray

Unfortunately for Stray, Kaixius' grip was far too strong.

"Hah! You'll have to do better than that, fey."

"Let me give you a bear hug."

"Wha-"

Thuldrin Kreed Grapple: 21

Kaixius AoO: [roll0]
His voice a flat monotone, Thuldrin Kreed attempted to grapple Kaixius into submission on Stray's orders. For a split second, it looked like he had it; however, Kaixius kneed Kreed in the *ahem* at the last second, sending him sprawling backwards... and Kaixius' scythe blade into Kreed's chest.

"You want to play mind games, Fey? Fine! Your little toy goes down first!"

​Roll for Initiative.

Kaixius goes again.
Having seemingly no line of sight to Stray, Kaixius apparently decided to focus on the local problem, and swung the butt of his scythe toward Kreed, having remembered that it is rather difficult to get paid if your employer is deceased. While two out of his three strikes missed, his sweeping lunges were effective in keeping the boss of the Lumber Consortium from succeeding in his grapple.

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-20, 10:30 PM
Stray mentally commands Kreed, "Go on, defend yourself! Get your sword out or he's going to kill you!"

From his hiding place, Stray attempts to steal the scythe once more.
[roll0]

"Give it up, Kaixius. I don't care if he dies and you're the only one left in a forest full of Fey!" Stray taunts before leaping up to another branch.

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-20, 10:44 PM
Stray

Magically reaching out once more, Stray whisked the switchscythe from out of the tiefling's hands, the weapon flying toward the fey.

Unfortunately, this came with the side effect of allowing Kaixius to spot where Stray was.

"And why, precisely, should I leave, fey? You may be a prince, but I have more than enough magical firepower to deal with you!"

Stepping back out of Kreed's range, he executed a quick kata, miming plunging a dagger into his chest and then vibrating it.

Stray's stomach dropped as his knowledge of Spellcraft lead him to recognize the words.

<PHANTASMAL KILLER!>

Caster Level Check (vs 22): [roll0]
Will Attack (vs 26): [roll1]
Fortitude Attack: [roll2]
Damage (On successful Will and unsuccessful Fort): [roll3]
Immediately, Stray's senses were consumed by a massive, all-encompassing being of shadow. It's teeth, so needle-like, so sharp, so hungry!..

Desperately clinging on and concentrating, Stray was able to overcome his fear, but not before the negative energy of the spell had torn away at his flesh.

Attack: [roll4]
Kreed, in the meanwhile, flailed ineffectually at the tiefling, not coming anywhere near the spiritualist with his sword.

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-20, 10:51 PM
Stray shakes off the spell, gritting his teeth. "Stab him when he tries to cast, Kreed!"

Already en route to another hiding place, he makes a raking motion at his foe's eyes and says a curse in Sylvan.

[roll0] Blindness vs Fort
Archaeologist's Luck UP! +3 all saves and skills
Stealth: [roll1]

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-21, 10:31 PM
Stray

Kaixius screamed in rage as Stray's spell blinded him, the fey prince now truly invisible to both of his quarries. Kreed continued to swing at Kaixius, while Kaixius, going on the defensive, tried to cast a spell...

"<STRICKEN HEART!>"

Kreed

Kaxius
Cast Defensively (vs DC 19)[roll2]
Touch Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-21, 10:44 PM
"Okay see, now this is just sad. You're blind, man! Game over! You're just wasting my spells now! So, I suggest you sit quietly and enjoy the sunset!"

[roll0] vs will

If the spell succeeds, he calls off Kreed and orders him to stand watch. Stray sighs, suddenly aware of the irony of telling a blind man to enjoy the sunset. "Kreed, make sure he doesn't go anywhere."

He collapses the spiritualist's scythe and deposits it in his bag before quickly searching the man for anything useful or valuable. "Kreed, are there any traps in the camp? Where are Jaeger and the others?"

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-21, 10:49 PM
Stray

Kaixius pulled back an arm...

And then Stray's spell hit.

Dropping to a sitting position, the tiefling spiritualist turned his sightless eyes to the darkening sunset, with Kreed continuing to stare off into space.

Lightning flashed in the distance, and a peal of thunder shook the forest. Stray began to feel little drops of rain on his head.

164 gp
+1 Amulet of Natural Armor
+1 Ring of Protection
+1 Cold Iron Switchscythe
+2 Chain Shirt

440 gp
+1 Short Sword
+1 Chain Shirt
+1 Ring of Protection

"There are no traps in the camp. Our plan consisted of lulling you into a false sense of security so you'd waltz right into the middle, then peppering you with arrows and swords when we revealed we could all see you even though you were invisible. Jaeger and his family are tied up in the tent furthest to the back with the entrance facing south, while the others are tied up in the four barracks tents on the East and West sides of the camp."

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-21, 11:07 PM
Stray pouts. "You realize that's a terrible plan, right? Be honest."

He rolls his eyes, patching himself up with a couple castings of CLW before trotting into the camp in search of rope (why did he always forget rope!?) and valuables. After helping himself to some loot, he returns to bind Kaixius in a tidy bundle. With the spiritualist secured, he finally goes to free Jaeger and his family.

Poking his head into Jaeger's tent, he begins with, "I wasn't really going to make them into chili. It's important to me that you know that."

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-24, 12:12 AM
Stray

Looking into the tent, Stray laid his eyes upon four people - a young woman no older than eighteen, an older man and woman in their fifties, and - at last - the person he had come for.

Jaeger looked to Stray, his brown eyes peeking through the bright red mane of hair, and uttered a sentence through his gag. Surprisingly, with a little effort, Stray was able to understand him.
<"Stray!? So what Syntira said was true after all! I thought I recognized your voice, mind, but still, after we were all scattered to the winds... It's good to see you.">

He tugged against his restraints and furrowed his brow.

<"That said... A little help, if you would be so kind?">

Brigitte

"...so anyway, there we were, completely soaked in honey, when a giant swarm of dire bees start chasing after us..."

Looking to the side, Brigitte noted that Gabrielle had awoken for her nap, and was looking to the north.

"What am I doing here? I should helping to rescue my brother and family, not just lazing about like some good-for-nothing!" Standing up, the young woman brushed herself off, then turned to Brigitte and Jean. "So how about it? You and Jean coming?"

Othniel
2016-01-24, 12:57 AM
Brigitte

Setting aside the pile of weapons she'd recovered from the enemy, Brigitte looked at Gabrielle and nodded, "He has been gone long enough. Come, Jean can bear us both."

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-24, 03:27 PM
Stray kneels down and begins loosening Jaeger's bindings. "Yeah, well, the Stolen Lands are a s*** place to build a settlement anyway. It turns out, you can just ask the Andoran government nicely to give you land. Just this morning I got them to cede everything north of the Foam. I even got myself a lovely little island in the Andoshen. You'll have to visit."

Thoughtfully (for once) he stuffs the spare rope into his bag. "I've got Kreed dominated and Kaixius is wrapped up like some kind of diabolic caterpillar. Everyone else bolted after I threatened them, so we're in the clear."

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-25, 12:38 AM
Stray

Rubbing his wrists, Jaeger and the other three occupants rose to their feet, Jaeger's countenance in a state of disbelief.

"Stray... Did you manage to clear out this camp by yourself? Given your mother's power, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, but... " Jaeger shook his head. "Erastil's antlers..."

"Hah!" The youngest woman made a kick out, trying desperately to look badass. "Serves them right! Now they'll get a taste of what it's like to get snuck up on and hounded!"

"Easy, Mala. We still have to-" A look of Alarm crossed Jaeger's face, as if he'd remembered something, and he turned back to Stray. "Stray, listen to me. Have you seen another woman, about 20, bright red hair? My other sister, Gabrielle... She was separated from us when we were ambushed."

Brigitte

Riding through the woods at lightning speed, Brigitte and Gabrielle soon came upon a massive clearing in the middle of the forest, the trees around it slashed to pieces and laid to waste. In the center was a massive wooden palisade hundreds of feet long and wide... and to all appearances, it was utterly deserted.

That was, except for the gormless face of Kreed staring off into empty space, and the trussed-up tiefling beside him.

"I confess, I did not think this would end without bloodshed."

A musical voice came out of the woods beside the pair, and a figure emerged. Tall, thin, and beautiful in an otherwordly kind of way, the long-haired and sharp-eared woman cracked a smile as she looked upon the scene.

All around, nymphs and fey of all kinds began to emerge from the forest, and a gentle, pleasant rain started to fall.

"It has always been the policy of my court to offer succor to those who surrender or are wounded, but the Lumber Consortium... They have been annoyingly stubborn, in recent months. It does me proud to see that Stray has driven them off without incident."

Gabrielle gasped. "Lady Syntira!"

Syntira smiled. "Gabrielle. It warms my heart to see you are well. Jaeger will be overjoyed."

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-25, 02:32 PM
Stray waves the family out of the tent, saying, "Oh, yeah Gabrielle is fine. I rescued her from a Cleric of Asmodeus who was about to feed her to some giant spiders. She's fine! I left her with my vassal and my Galtan and her giant deer thing."

"And yes, I suppose that, technically, I did clear out the camp all by me onesies. I only had to fight two guys. But, I'm totally counting it!"

Once outside, he kicked off the ground and floated backwards while looking at Jaeger. "So ... whatcha been up to?"

Othniel
2016-01-25, 08:29 PM
Brigitte slipped from her saddle and bowed before Lady Syntira. "My lady."

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-27, 01:26 AM
Stray
At the news of Gabrielle's well-being, the Hackett family breathed a collective sigh of relief, and the older woman spoke for the first time. "Gabrielle is alive!? Oh, thank Erastil! When we were separated, I feared the worst!"

The older man, in a gruffer voice, yet not entirely unlike Jaeger's, also spoke. "Indeed. Old Deadeye has pulled through for us this day. Thank you, prince."

At Stray's question, Jaeger stroked his beard, recalling the events of the past few years. "Mostly? It's been one long, hard, rough journey. After we all got split up when the ambush on the bandit camp went south, I took to the back-roads to try and evade them. I made it out of the Stolen Lands alive... Barely, and returned home to my family just in time to see Issia conquering the entirety of Brevoy in a storm of swords. I was barely able to rescue them and the others of my hamlet before the army was upon us."

Jaeger turned back to the older man and woman. "Speaking of which, Stray, meet my parents, Lambrett and Felda, and the younger of my two little sisters, Mala."

After handshakes were exchanged, Jaeger continued his story. "Hounded by those who sought to purge all links to the old kingdom, we fled. Not wanting to chance the Stolen lands again, we initially went East, to Numeria..."

At these words, Jaeger, Mala, Lambrett and Felda all shuddered.

"Never, EVER, go to Numeria, Stray. There are things there, iron men, that do not bear speaking of."

"Anyway, after trying to settle in Numeria, and fighting off a legion of robots, we fled back into the River Kingdoms. We journeyed many a month, trying to settle down, always pursued by some monster or bandit group. Eventually, though, one day, we came across my parent's old circle - apparently transplated from its old location by the magic of the fey. It was then that we heard you were still alive, somehow, and were traveling the world. Talking with the dryads who had made their home there in our absence, we heard about the wonders of Andoran, and decided to journey there. We first made for Kyonin, but a conflict with Razmiran prevented our passage, and so we journeyed to Galt instead. It was chaotic there, to be sure, but with our powers we managed to gain enough goodwill to pass mostly unmolested. Going to the Five Kings Mountains, we found passage beneath, through the lands of the dwarves, accompanied by a warrior of some note called Baweryn. Then, at last, we emerged in Druma, where we went south to the Darkmoon Vale - and met your mother, the Fey Queen, Syntira. She offered us shelter, and when we heard of your efforts to try and reclaim these woods, I offered my considerable powers to help relocate the populace of Falcon's Hollow. But one night, as we slept, the Lumber Consortium snuck up on us and bound every single one of us before we could even so much as fire a spell off. After that, well, you know the rest."

It was then that Stray and Jaeger spotted a glow coming from beyond the walls, and the jubilant singing of fey. Kreed communicated what he was seeing just as Jaeger spoke.

"Syntira must have found us! Come, let us greet your mother," Jaeger drew his spear, and thunder crashed, "And deal with that snake Kreed once and for all."

Brigitte

Syntira smiled. "Arise, Gabrielle and Brigitte. Now is a time for jubilation, not formalities." Her head turned toward the gate of the compound. "Let us go inside. My son awaits us." And so they entered, Kaixius and Kreed staring blankly.

Stray and Brigitte

As Syntira, Brigitte, and Gabrielle stepped into the main courtyard, they were greeted by Stray and the rest of the Hacketts stepping out from behind the main tent. Seeing her family, Gabrielle promptly ran to them, where she was promptly embraced, and cheers broke out as fey guided the formerly bound members of the druids circle from the barracks tents.

Stepping forward, Syntira regarded her son with a smile, opening her arms.

"It has been far too long since I've seen you, my son - and you have truly come into your own as one of the Fey. I did not know if your blood would ever truly come forth, but it seems that time has paid off and then some."

She looked around the camp.

"I do not think the Consortium will trouble us further, not after what you have done here today. Although, one question remains..." She turned back to Kreed and Kaixius. "What are we to do with these two?"

Nefarion Xid
2016-01-27, 05:02 PM
Approaching, Stray shrugged apologetically to Brigitte. He teleported the final distance and kissed his mother politely on the forehead, cheeky at the implication that he'd ever been anything but trickster god.

Gesturing towards Kaixius, he says, "We need the tiefling. This incursion isn't just Kreed's doing. He's had help, not just form this venture captain, but from the Chelish nobility. Supreme Elect Codwin will be very interested to learn who controls his purse."

He folds his arms and snarls towards the other one. "Kreed's fate is yours. There's nothing but greed and spite in him. He has trespassed in your realm and he has threatened your people. He is even despised by his own kind. I defer to your wisdom."

He omits the part where he wished he'd let Amaya simply murder him in his sleep.

Othniel
2016-01-27, 09:40 PM
Brigitte followed along in the rear, Jean following obediently at her heels. The pair stopped inside the compound and observed the reunion, the investigator leaning quietly against the giant elk's flank. She rolled her eyes when Stray shrugged, smiling to herself at the unvoiced communication as he turned to more important things. It was enough he had survived, though she figured the experience had served only to inflate his self image.

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-28, 01:32 AM
Syntira nodded, as if in deference to Stray's judgement.

"Very well, then. Guards, bind the tiefling and prepare him for transport to Falcon's Hollow. My son and I shall journey back there when our business here is complete. As for Kreed..." She looked to the Hackett family. "This man has hurt many. Yet it is against those who would safeguard nature, my chosen instruments in this matter - aside from my son - that he has acted, conspired to torture and kill. As such, I sentence him to death, with you choosing the manner of his execution."

Jaeger gripped his longspear.

"I think we can arrange something suitable."

10 minutes later, the fey, the druid's circle, and the Trailblazers stood watch as the Hackett family glowed with the power of magic, reshaping the land around the palisade.

<MOVE EARTH!>

<CONTROL WATER!>

As the earth around the palisade dipped down to create a moat, geyers sprung forth to fill it, creating a deep trench around the camp. And in the middle, just inside the gates, stood Kreed. staring dumbly back at them.

Jaeger stepped forward.

"You are a coward, and a wretch, but more than that, you are without compassion or mercy. You struck at us in the middle of the night, when we were at our most helpless, and threatened the lives of women and children in your crusade of greed."

Jaeger raised his staff. He began to coruscated with a dark, grey, magic aura.

"The moral principles of good state that I should not strike at a helpless foe. May Erastil forgive me this one time."

The sky began to roil and churn, turning to a blood red, and Jaeger executed a kata - hands moving like flames, then spreading wide...

"<FIRE STORM!>"

Mercifully, Kreed did not live past the first six seconds.

For five minutes, the impromptu funeral pyre burned. Eventually, Jaeger stepped forth again, channeling energy yet again.

"<CONTROL WEATHER.>"

Seconds later, rain fell in droves, and the fey cheered as the water washed away the sins of man. Jaeger turned to Stray and smiled.

"First round's on me."

"Duuuuuude... that sounds like a killer story. Wish I'd come along instead of just getting buzzed."

Sitting in The Goose 'n' Gander, the largest inn in Falcon's Hollow, the Hackett family sat alongside Stray, Brigitte, Pun-Pun, Pun-Pun's latest hanger-ons (in the form of three lady-kobolds, most notably Princess Laurala), and Dopethrone. Dopethrone was puffing away at a pipe, the acrid smell of marijuana emanating from within, while the Hackett family drank wine from pint-glasses, the druids in the mood for something sweet.

"Indeed." Jaeger eyed the perpetually stoned wizard with a half-glare. "One knows there are much more productive ways to use one time than inebriation."

"Jeez, man, you need to lighten up a little! We should be celebrating! Stray's reunited with his Mom the queen, your whole family is alive and kicking and showed that bogus dude Kreed what for, and these guys are getting new homes! Why shouldn't we roll a blunt or two? Tell you what..." He leaned toward the druid. "You druids have massive plant-growing secrets, right? I'll trade you this cultivar for these enormous peaches and strawberries and cucumber's I've made if you'll help me with some of my special crop."

"The integrity of our circle is-"

"They're thrice as nutritious and five times as flavorful, and they last longer in cold weather."

"...I'll see what I can arrange."

"Excellent, dude!" Setting down his pipe, Dopethrone took a drink of brandy before turning to Felda and Lambrett. "So, Mr. and Mrs. Hackett. I'm guessing you're gonna help Jaeger with the farmin'?"

"Yes, although we're also going to be busy getting our new home in order. It will have to be fairly large to accomodate everyone." They looked toward Jaeger. "Though of course, it is easy enough to make room for one more..."

"For the last time, mother, I'll find a wife when I'm good and ready! Finding love doesn't come overnight, you know!"

"It's not that difficult to meet a nice girl, Jaeger. Erastil knows your father and I met each other fairly early on. We're not getting any younger, you know, and I do long to hear the pitter-patter of grandchildren's feet before I pass..." Felda gave Brigitte an appraising look. "How about Miss Lestrade, here? Virtuous, kind, and she has the gift of nature's call... and excellent child-bearing hips."

"Mom!"

Nearby, the Eagle Knights that had accompanied the party to Falcon's Hollow sputtered into their drinks, the youngest of them blushing as his eyes were momentarily caught glancing toward Brigittes' derriere.

And so the conversation continued long into the night. Not that there wasn't anything to worry about - somewhere out there, great forces conspired against Golarion, and the Trailblazers were headed right into it.

But they'd make it out. They always did.

THE END
(For Now)

To Be Continued...

Congratulations on completing this side story! Of course, it's not truly over - Stray still has to build his tower, and of course, you can continue RPing with any of the NPCs - but all that can be taken care of via skype or the OOC thread. This End marks the end of any combat encounters or really having to roll dice.

Also, Stray and Brigitte are now Level 11 and Level 12, respectively, and Pun-Pun is now Level 10 - a gift from Syntira, who infused him with the power of the fey on the way back to Falcon's Hollow as a gift.

Lord Of Mantas
2016-01-31, 03:40 PM
...except that it's not really the end.

Brigitte

Thankfully, the investigation had taken surprisingly little legwork.

Thanks in no small part to her knowledge of the local area, Brigitte had been able to find a cleric in Almas who knew Plane Shift. The only problem, of course, was approaching him - but she had found a way around that, too, thanks to a mutual friend.

"Judas the Priest? S***, dude, I knew him back when I was a wizarding student! Don't believe the stories, man, he just cultivates that reputation to scare off the Eagle Knights from crashing the local church's religious ceremonies."

A rather confused inquiry had gotten a rather bizarre reply.

"You really haven't been around his neck of the woods, have you? Judas' particular flock of CC worshipers aren't into the whole cathedrals and white garb thing, dude - not that they were ever much into that in the first place. Nah, when they do Sunday services, they go totally wacko, dude. He owns this pub called The Vinaceous Valkyrie in East Hill, not two blocks south of the Grand Exchange. I'll send him a message to put you on the list. And, uh, bring earplugs."

And so, two days, one dress purchase, and one spritz of exotic perfume later, Brigitte found herself standing in line outside of The Vinaceous Valkyrie. It was 5:00 PM, about mid-afternoon on Sunday, and the queue was buzzing with activity as those seeking to enter the pub talked animatedly amongst themselves. From what Brigitte could gather, a couple of rather popular bard groups called The Slayers and Corvus Corax were slated to perform that night. They apparently played in a style called 'metal thunder'. Or was it 'heavy metal thunder'? It was rather hard to tell over the noise, and the fact that she appeared to be dressed rather differently from them didn't help, as she was the subject of a lot of stares.

Brigitte could not tell if they were stares of confusion or stares of awe.

Eventually, (and after a rather funny attempt by the guy in front of her to convince the bouncer he was called 'Spicy Crispy Chicken Melt' (http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail185.html)), Brigitte stood face to face with the bouncer - a mammoth half-orc at least 7 feet tall and built like a stone gatehouse, with gauged ears and sleeve tattoos. His eyes widened as he consulted his list.

"You're Brigitte Lestrade? Whoa, says here you're supposed to be escorted right to the VIP section. Nice."

Gesturing to a couple of surprisingly muscular (and pink-haired) half-elves just inside the door, he gestured her inside.

"Enjoy the show. Judas usually arrives fashionably late, so just enjoy the free beer in the meantime."

Being a guest of Judas the Priest had its perks, apparently, as Brigitte was escorted to the second floor of the pub, a rather plush balcony overlooking a stage. The pub, already near full to bursting, seemed to strain as people tried to crowd around the stage, pints full of cheap Andoran adjunct lager in their hands and hymns to the Accidental God on their lips. It was an atmosphere of beer fumes, of tobacco, of fried food, and of pure cameraderie and friendship.

The balcony itself was near empty, except for Brigitte, a couple of bouncers, and some very comfortable couches. Walking over, a young man - probably no more than about 18 - handed her a drink menu and tried not to stare and stammer, a blush apparent on his face.

"F-first five drinks are free for VIPs."

Beers on Tap

Angel Dust
Carriagewrecker
Dragon's Doubletalon
Nymphnectar
Lagoran Cherry Lambic
Natural Macrolite
Poi Baloi Raloia

Wine List
4680 Merlot
4685 Champagne
4690 Riesling
4682 Pinot Grigio
4683 Pinot Noir
4681 Port
4679 Sherry

Ask about our homemade moonshine!

Vittles
Half Chicken - your choice of sweet, peppery, curry, or butter sauce
Scotch Eggs
Onion Rings
Deep-fried Potatoes and Rarebit
Deep-fried pickles
Chicken-fried steak strips and gravy
Soft pretzels - Try our big-as-your-head size!
Rhadoum-style curried lamb skewers

Five minutes later, the lights downstairs darkened, and a group of seven lithe, muscular men, some of them half naked and all toting various instruments, took the stage.

"Good evening, Almas, how are we doing? You ready to hear the Slayers?"

A raucous cheer came from the audience.

"As it happens, so are we. But before that, they asked us if we'd kindly take the stage and get you all warmed up. You all okay with that?"

Another cheer.

"Alright, then. I hope you got real drunk, f***ed up, and ready to praise the Accidental God for his marvelous, alcoholic gifts to the world, because we are Corvus Corax, and we stand ready to bring the thunder!"

The music was earsplittingly heavy, and reminded Brigitte, indeed, of thunder. Suddenly, it lowered itself in volume - still somewhat loud, but to a degree where the investigator could still hear herself think. Turning around, she realized she had been joined by someone else.

http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/files/2011/10/Rob-Halford-Metal-God-Houston.jpg

"Well well well! When Dopethrone said you'd be coming, he didn't say anything about getting fancay! You, madam, are probably the highest concentration of class this establishment has seen in quite a while."

Sitting down on the couch opposite her, the towering, bald, and bespiked man took a deep gulp from the pint he had been carrying with him and set it down on the coffee table. "Custom spell I invented myself. Lets me hear the music without having to shout to make myself and my guests heard." He looked out on the bards playing downstairs. A circle had formed in the middle of the audience, its members running into and smashing against each other. "You can feel it, can't you? The ripples and low tones pounding through you like drums." He grinned. "I love it. Cayden help me, I love it so. But! On to more important things!"

He extended his hand in greeting, his grin now replaced with a simple smile.

"My name's Judas, priest of Cayden Cailean and owner of this fine establishment. From what I understand, you were wanting my help with something magical?"

Othniel
2016-02-01, 09:37 PM
Brigitte

Brigitte arrived in a floor-length black dress that clung to her in all the right places. She had kept her rings and amulet, and had added a silvered hair pin and exchanged her headband for borrowing Stray's (acting as a ribbon) to hold her now-braided hair in place. Upon a finger she wore a signet ring, depicting her family's crest. Dressed to kill (or at least seriously maim), Brigitte walked into the establishment like she owned the place. The butterflies dog-fighting in her stomach would have told a different story, but she shoved aside the feelings of nervousness and insecurity and proceeded on her way. She nodded to the bouncer and made her way inside. When she reached the balcony, she ordered a glass of the sherry and flashed a smile at the young server. "You can leave the bottle, please."

Brigitte sat for a few minutes, sipping the sherry, until the show began. As the music began, she heard a voice and turned to look at the newcomer. "Ah, Monsieur Judas! It is a pleasure to finally meet you." Smiling, the investigator set down her glass. "There is indeed something magical I would beg your assistance with. I wish to plane shift to Elysium; specifically the domain of Cayden Cailean. You see, my friends and I fell under the notice of The Accidental God - my friend, Stray, more than myself - during an adventure. After the adventure, I was imbibing with a member of the adventurer's league known as Dopethrone. It was a fascinating experience, culminating with an accidental plane shift placing us before Cayden Cailean. We spoke, and he extended an invitation to visit him again..." She trailed off and smiled demurely. "You may not believe me, monsieur, but it is true, and I wish to go back. Just once."

Go Diplomacy! [roll0] (including the bonus from the exotic perfume) plus another [roll1] using Inspiration.

With Stray's Headband, Brigitte should be at -2 Int (23) and +6 Cha (14).

Lord Of Mantas
2016-02-02, 02:49 PM
Brigitte

Judas' mouth dropped open.

"You mean Dopethrone actually kept working on that strain?! I thought he abandoned it last time after - never mind."

Judas began chuckling - initially uncomfortablly, then with a more genuine tone as it progressed.

"So... hot damn. The Big C himself caught notice of you, huh? Well, if it's like that, then never let it be said that Judas the Priest was one to stand in the way." He doffed an imaginary cap. "You got yourself a deal, ma'am. Although, let's keep it off until these guys are done, at least. No reason to rush a good sherry - or a Doubletalon, as the case may be."

About 40 minutes later, Corvus Corax was done performing, and Judas lead Brigitte out back. With a deep breath, a smooth, languid kata was performed, and his finger leveled at the investigator.

"<PLANE SHIFT.>"

A flash of light. Then, Brigitte found herself elsewhere.

http://images6.alphacoders.com/312/312378.jpg

The forest was wild and untamed, the beauty staggering. It could only be Elysium; Brigitte knew it instantly. Apparently, Judas' spell had put her right at the edge of an immensely beautiful waterfall, the thundering roar and chattering of exotic birds creating a spell of beauty that made her feel as if she would practically float away. The world was a mass of green, bright, colorful flowers and verdant trees as far as the eye could see. Then, looking above, she saw a massive, polished marble estate at the top of a mountain above them. It could only be Cayden Cailean's estate.

Then, she heard footsteps. Around the bend, from a trail that apparently lead down to the base of the falls, Cayden himself emerged. His hair was tousled and wet, his eyes aglimmer, and his torso completely shirtless, his lithe, muscular abdomen completely exposed to Brigitte.

Cayden briefly appeared startled, but attempted to play it off nonchalantly.

"BRIGITTE! I DIDN'T THINK YOU'D BE BACK SO SOON. I MUST SAY, UM, THIS IS A BIT OF A SURPRISE."

Brigitte could feel the Accidental God's eyes roaming over her, a slight blush on his cheeks and his throat gulping.

"YOU, UM - YOU LOOK VERY BEAUTIFUL TODAY."

Stray

"...and so I would like to formally invite you and the rest of the assembly to dine at my new Embassy-slash-Palace, in the name of improving Fey and Human relations. One caveat, though... I'd need you to foot half the bill."

"I'm not made of money, Stray, and rebuilding the fleet without darkwood is not a cheap endeavor. I'll front 700 of the bill."

"But... there will be nymphs there! And you should see what they're wearing!"

"The assembly can't do their jobs if they're blinded by magical naked women, Stray. And I do have to keep costs low in the wake of having to find alternate wood sources until Jaeger's plantations get up and running. I'll round it up to 750, and that's my final offer."

"...very well. I shall see you at the party."

"I'm looking forward to it."

The citadel had been built, towering over the Andoshen river like a mountain over a valley. The forests around it had been planted lush and thick by the ceaseless work of the treants. And the Swan Maidens and Nymphs were all dressed in the most beauteous, diaphanous clothes they owned, ready to welcome Codwin and the Assembly.

All that remained was to see how well the party would go.

Charisma Check: [roll0]

Plus circumstance modifiers, you throw a Memorable Party.
The party turned out to be an unmitigated success, with all but the most dour of moods and vehement of enemies turned by Stray's charm - to say nothing of the men and women who shamlessly ogled the nymphs and swan maidens, Stray's Fey attendants giggling and winking coyly. At the end of the night, Stray had gained the favor of a definite two-thirds majority of Andoran's elite.

Othniel
2016-02-02, 06:28 PM
Brigitte

"Oh!" Brigitte gasped at the sudden beauty before her, and was still trying to find her voice when the lord of the domain she had shifted into came into view. What little confidence she had fled, and her normally light skin flushed noticeably. Brigitte tried to control her voice, but stammered when she tried to speak, "M-my lord, Cayden Cailean! I...you are not displeased to see me, I hope?" Brigitte wracked her mind for something more to say, finally latching on to recent events. "I would like to report success with our latest endeavors - that is, Stray and myself - in Darkmoon Vale. The Lumber Consortium has been dealt a severe blow, and Stray - Prince Stray now, actually - has freed a group of kobolds."

Lord Of Mantas
2016-02-02, 11:51 PM
Brigitte

"DISPLEASED? FAR FROM IT, MADEMOISELLE! I HAD HOPED YOU WOULD RETURN, BUT I DID NOT THINK IT WOULD BE SO SOON - THOUGH CONSIDERING YOUR FRIENDS, I REALLY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER."

Cayden was beginning to relax, and appeared to be adopting a more casually cocky attitude - though his cheeks remained a rosy red, and Brigitte noticed that he appeared to be trying very hard to not glance for too long at her bosom.

"IT'S GOOD TO HEAR THAT YOU AND STRAY WERE SUCCESSFUL, THOUGH OBVIOUSLY I DON'T THINK THE MISSION WAS EVER IN ANY REAL DANGER. OF COURSE, THE DAYS TO COME MAY BE ANOTHER STORY... BUT THAT'S SOMETHING TO WORRY ABOUT FOR ANOTHER DAY! FOR NOW, LET US CELEBRATE! ENJOY THE MOMENT, AS IT WERE."

Cayden clapped his hands together.

"MY REALM IS AT YOUR DISPOSAL, BRIGITTE. WAS THERE ANYTHING IN PARTICULAR YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO DO TO YOU - WITH YOU?"

Cayden whistled innocently, as if to pretend the Freudian slip had been a mere trick of the wind.

Othniel
2016-02-03, 12:16 AM
Brigitte stared at him, trying to sift his words, and then an idea came to mind. She smiled. "There are so many things I want to do...to see...to experience, but I cannot choose. Surprise me!"

Lord Of Mantas
2016-02-03, 01:17 AM
Contemplating Brigitte's request for a minute, Cayden's face eventually brightened.

"I KNOW JUST THE THING. TAKE MY HAND."

And as Brigitte grasped the hand of the Accidental God, he kicked off from the ground - and the two went soaring through the air.

If Brigitte thought that Elysium looked beautiful from the ground, looking at it from the air was another experience entirely. Being up in the air so far - with mountains and forests and lakes as far as the eye could see - should have been frightening, and yet, all she could feel was a pure and utter sense of joy. This was amplified still further as a swarm of lyrakien began to fly in formation alongside them, surrounding her and Cayden in a kaleidoscope of rainbow colors.

Far off in the distance, she swore she could hear music playing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iutWOk0cejc).

Eventually, she and Cayden settled down in a sort of natural ampitheater, lit aglow by bulbous, beautiful plants, and azata all around them. At the front, atop a stage of natural marble, sat a variety of lillends - beautiful, seductive-looking azata with the torsos of an elven women and the body of snakes. Strumming harps, mandolins, and drums, they began to sing a song of love (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EFiopuzJMs) - and Brigitte felt Cayden, once more, taking her hand, looking at her hopefully.

After what seemed like an eternity of beautiful song, the concert ended, and Cayden turned to her again.

"ANOTHER SURPRISE? OR DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING IN MIND NOW?"

Othniel
2016-02-03, 04:47 PM
Brigitte was silent as she saw things new and unknown to her - the stuff if legends and stories - creatures she knew of, but never contemplated ever seeing the mortal side of eternity. "I wonder what kind of plants those are," the scientific part of her mind wondered before she was once again distracted by Cayden.

"My lord, is there something you wish to do...to me - with me?"

Lord Of Mantas
2016-02-03, 08:09 PM
Cayden chuckled a little at Brigitte's freudian slip.

"GOOD TO KNOW THAT I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THAT ON THE BRAIN. THERE ARE MANY, MANY THINGS I WISH TO DO WITH YOU, BRIGITTE..."

He leaned closer and whispered huskily into her ear, desire full in his voice.

"AND MANY MORE THAT I WANT TO DO TO YOU."

"BUT FIRST THINGS FIRST. AT AN ABSOLUTE MINIMUM, BEFORE ANY OF THE 'FUN STUFF', THERE IS ONE PLACE IN PARTICULAR I WISH TO SHOW YOU - MY HOME. LAST TIME, YOU BARELY SAW PAST MY STUDY - I BELIEVE A PROPER TOUR IS IN ORDER."

Taking her by the hand, Brigitte and Cayden once more flew into the air, eventually touching down at Cayden's house in the hills of Elysium. The House, unsurprisingly, was large, sprawling, and imposing, and yet simultaneously cozy and inviting all at once, befitting the chaotic nature of the plane and Cayden's own nature - to say nothing of the rampant paraphernalia of alcoholic beverages at all kinds. But by far, the pièce de résistance was the dining hall - a rowdy and boistrous room, filled with good cheer, singing, and enough ale, lager, liquor, mead and wine to simultaneously give every single Viking that ever lived or died a pang of jealousy.

The dinner was lengthy and delicious, many glasses of wine being poured, and delicacies the likes of which have never been or will be seen served, and the joyous singing of azata resounding through the hall. And at the head of the table sat Brigitte and Cayden, the two of them capping off the meal with a strategically placed dish of strawberries and chocolate fondue, the two taking turns feeding the others.

And so it was that, at the end of it all, the moon high in the sky, Cayden and Brigitte found themselves standing once again in the Accidental God's study. Brigitte could swear she heard Cayden's heart pounding in his chest, his lips inches away from her own.

"GIVEN WHAT HAS BEEN SAID TONIGHT BY THE BOTH OF US, I WOULD BE SURPRISED AT A NEGATIVE ANSWER - BUT ONE SHOULD NEVER ASSUME THINGS ABOUT A LADY. BRIGITTE... WOULD YOU LIKE TO SPEND THE NIGHT?"

Also, to minimize the clutter, would Brigitte be up for being Cayden's personal guest until she is absolutely needed back on the material plane?

Othniel
2016-02-03, 09:18 PM
The moment seemed to stretch for hours, and many thoughts passed swiftly through Brigitte's mind. Memories of a young, frightened woman setting out for Absalom in the ruin of one of Galt's many revolutions, attending the Arcanamirium for the first time, exploring the wilds in search of alchemical ingredients, joining the Trailblazer's League, and accompanying her comrades on their latest escapades. The young woman had always been at first reluctant, having to work so hard at generating the confidence she always put on in front of others. She knew what was offered probably wouldn't last, and that the accidental god's fancies were probably as fickle as any other, perhaps moreso for having been human once himself. And yet, her mind was drawn back to one inescapable conclusion: That if she said no, she knew she would regret it the rest of her life. And besides, what is life but one grand adventure?

"Yes."

Lord Of Mantas
2016-02-03, 09:57 PM
Cayden smiled. It was a large, broad smile, one that promised love and lust - perhaps not necessarily in that order, but they were there. This time, when he spoke, his tone was normal - almost as if he were human once more.

"I had hoped you would say that."

And then, leaning in, his lips touched hers in a passionate kiss. As it lingered on, the heat of the moment grew, their tongues venturing forward in an intense dance, both of their hands wandering and grasping away at their partner. Staggering across the room to the corner, a growl emerged from the accidental god's throat, and he at last roughly grabbed Brigitte's heavy shoulders, pulling her down onto the bed and ripping off her- (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MstyFwhLy4)

<INTENSE, STEAMY, GRAPHIC ADULT IMAGES TOO HOT FOR GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND CENSORED> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHEWeMFWdTs)

It came as no surprise that Brigitte accepted Cayden Cailean's invitation to stay several more weeks, each of their days together filled with adventure, and the nights with unending passionate lovemaking in an increasing variety of locations - though, as Brigitte soon discovered, Cayden had a particular preference for the waterfall where she had first met him. All too soon, however, destiny called, Judas himself coming with a message from the League that she was needed back on the material plane.

"AND SO IT SEEMS THAT WE MUST PART. I KNOW YOU MUST GO, BUT..."

The accidental god pressed a small token into Brigitte's hand - a small, silver icon of a tankard, buzzing with a spark of his power.

"TAKE IT, AND KEEP ME IN YOUR THOUGHTS - UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN."

A sad smile crossed Cayden's face, and he kissed Brigitte one last time as she joined Judas. Before the priest cast plane shift once more, he elbowed Brigitte and gave a knowing grin and a thumbs up.

"F***in' sweet, man."

A flash of light, and they were gone.

Cayden's Token of Affection is a slotless magic item that grants a +1 luck bonus to all defenses - AC, CMD, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. Also, if Brigitte should die in battle, it will instantly resurrect her one time as per True Resurrection. This token only works for Brigitte, and will go temporarily inert if claimed by any other person, and permanently inert if it is used to resurrect her.