PDA

View Full Version : How often do you check you email on average?

Gopher Wizard
2015-11-29, 01:31 PM
I'm just wondering because yesterday I sent out too very important business emails and have yet to get a response. I sent them out relatively early (by this more than 24 hours ago) and I haven't heard back.

I'm wondering if I'm paranoid or overly pessimistic. Both people (as well as myself) live in America, and it is the weekend after Thanksgiving so could that be a factor. I'm just wondering at what point do I accept the fact they won't respond. Also, I've never meet either person before and was just told contact them so it's not like a response it guaranteed.

Florian
2015-11-29, 04:31 PM
My smartphone checks for my mails every two minutes.

But you say it's about business, so who would answer these on a weekend (if not top priority or them being terminally bored)?

Killer Angel
2015-11-29, 04:33 PM
Not that I think it could be significant for your issue, but... 1/day minimum. Holidays included.

Fri
2015-11-29, 04:50 PM
At least once per day, but I don't check business email (I got separate account) on weekends and holidays.

2015-11-29, 04:58 PM
My email is constantly open in another tab; as long as I am awake, I am checking my email while doing other things. Don't know why I do this, since nobody ever emails me...

factotum
2015-11-29, 05:05 PM
Personal, or work e-mail? Although the answer's pretty similar whichever one I'm doing--when I've finished whatever it is I'm currently doing I'll check to see if I've got new mail. How often that is depends on what I'm doing, obviously! I agree with Florian, though, I don't check work e-mail when I'm not working and I don't work weekends...

Gopher Wizard
2015-11-29, 06:01 PM
Personal, or work e-mail? Although the answer's pretty similar whichever one I'm doing--when I've finished whatever it is I'm currently doing I'll check to see if I've got new mail. How often that is depends on what I'm doing, obviously! I agree with Florian, though, I don't check work e-mail when I'm not working and I don't work weekends...

I'm pretty sure one is a work email. The other I'm not too sure.

Still no response BTW. I'll give it until Wednesday just to be super optimistic.

Douglas
2015-11-29, 06:04 PM
I'd say a good general rule is to never expect a response to a business email on a non-business day. Some people check their business email accounts all the time, but many check only when actually at their job and working. Start your reply clock when you expect the person in question to be at work.

Gopher Wizard
2015-11-29, 06:07 PM
I'd say a good general rule is to never expect a response to a business email on a non-business day. Some people check their business email accounts all the time, but many check only when actually at their job and working. Start your reply clock when you expect the person in question to be at work.

You could be right. Like I said, Wednesday and I'm being super optimistic.

Starwulf
2015-11-30, 04:03 AM
Back when I worked in an office, I'd check every few hours. Nowadays, it's a surprise if I log into my email once a week.

FinnLassie
2015-11-30, 06:44 AM
Eh, I have the app open pretty much all the time when I'm awake unless I want to do a bit of radio silence for a day or two.

Feytalist
2015-11-30, 07:49 AM
Oh, I never check my email. I get notified immediately whenever I receive any mail, work or personal :smallbiggrin:

But. You might be conflating "receiving mail" with "responding to mail". I very often leave email unresponded to for days at a time, even if it's business-related. And I know I'm hardly alone in this. Whether it's because I'm formulating a response, or I'm too busy/stressed/lazy to type one, or I just can't be arsed (this last one comes up often).

Remember, what might be important to you isn't necessarily as important to the recipient. Give it a couple of days. I'd say up to a week, as I generally go through my received emails at the end of the week to make sure I followed up on everything. Unless it's time-sensitive, in which case I'd send a gentle reminder a day or two in advance of the deadline.

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-30, 08:11 AM
All I know, as a freelancer, is that I usually don't get communications from clients anywhere between about noon on Friday and noon on Monday (or Tuesday).

As soon as the weekend rolls around, they're gone. It doesn't even matter if they gave me a Saturday or Sunday deadline for the work; I'm expected to get it done then, of course, but they don't acknowledge it (or pay me) until the start of the next week.

So really, I wouldn't worry yet. The chance of an American businessperson answering an email on the weekend is essentially zero; I'm speaking with 6+ years' experience here, too.

EDIT: I take that back -- I know one who will answer on the weekend (me). But that's mostly because weekends and holidays don't exist to me thanks to the constant struggle to stay afloat...

Knaight
2015-11-30, 09:33 AM
I try to check it daily, but that figure lapses a bit occasionally. Usually it at least stays in the multiple times per week range, particularly when I need it for school (which is often). Actually responding can take a bit longer.

Gopher Wizard
2015-11-30, 10:53 AM
Well I just got a response from one.:smallbiggrin:

Jay R
2015-11-30, 11:39 AM
"On average" is irrelevant. The question is how often these two Americans check those particular emails on Thanksgiving weekend. That is a very different question. Some holiday weekends I don't check email at all, and I never check my business email over the holiday unless I know I will need to in advance.

Gopher Wizard
2015-11-30, 11:41 AM
"On average" is irrelevant. The question is how often these two Americans check those particular emails on Thanksgiving weekend. That is a very different question. Some holiday weekends I don't check email at all, and I never check my business email over the holiday unless I know I will need to in advance.

Good point. But today is Monday. So...thoughts?

cobaltstarfire
2015-11-30, 01:07 PM
Well you're probably not the only person who has sent them mail for one thing, they probably have other correspondences to work through as well as their job. Depending on what you were mailing them about they may have to speak with someone else on the matter before responding to you as well.

You should probably allow 2-3 business days for a response at the very least.

Gopher Wizard
2015-11-30, 02:49 PM
Well you're probably not the only person who has sent them mail for one thing, they probably have other correspondences to work through as well as their job. Depending on what you were mailing them about they may have to speak with someone else on the matter before responding to you as well.

I...didn't...even...think...of...that.:smalleek:

That is actually a really good point. They would have priorities, and I wouldn't be at the top. Wednesday still a good cut off point? I mean if they respond after that I'll still write back but what's still realistic.

Also thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm not sure how important these emails are in the long run, but I'm glad other people took the time to read and respond to this.

Jay R
2015-11-30, 09:47 PM
Good point. But today is Monday. So...thoughts?

By Tuesday afternoon after a normal weekend, or Wednesday morning after a holiday weekend, I'd start to wonder.

Florian
2015-12-01, 05:57 AM
By Tuesday afternoon after a normal weekend, or Wednesday morning after a holiday weekend, I'd start to wonder.

Depends on the context/content and priority.

If its stuff like contracts, legal department may have to look into it, if its a resumee, HR has to look into it, and so on. The more inter-departmental communication it has to pass, the longer it takes.

Jay R
2015-12-01, 09:24 AM

If its stuff like contracts, legal department may have to look into it, if its a resumee, HR has to look into it, and so on. The more inter-departmental communication it has to pass, the longer it takes.

That's a good point. Also, one crucial issue is this: do they have any incentive to reply? When people send me business opportunities I have no use for, I ignore them.

Also, will replying take them away from the urgent part of their job? If it's not urgent, then it might wait awhile. Also, does a speedy reply serve them?

And what systems must it go through before the reply can be sent? Does Finance or HR have to deal with it first? Do partners have to approve the response? Bureaucracies can be very slow.

Finally, will the reply be electronic? If it's the sort of thing that must be on paper (in their view, not yours),you are at the mercy of the mail service.

So do you know that these people will reply?
Do you know that they any reply will be prompt?
How much do they have to do before replying?
Do you know that the reply will be electronic?

So with the information you have given us, we have no way to predict if there will be a response, or how long it will take.

Gopher Wizard
2015-12-01, 12:29 PM

It's nothing quite as big/major as that. It's hard to explain, but it's the sort of thing one person can accept/veto without someone else being apart of it.

Florian
2015-12-01, 01:55 PM
It's nothing quite as big/major as that. It's hard to explain, but it's the sort of thing one person can accept/veto without someone else being apart of it.

So, you're new to all of this?

For example, an simple Quote can take up to 3 weeks, an answer that this quote has been received three more weeks.

Now that would be considered top priority...

Gopher Wizard
2015-12-09, 09:33 PM
I can't help but feel I learned some kind of important lesson here today. Something along the lines of there are only two real tragedies in life: not getting what one wants and getting what one wants. That or battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes also into you.

Though I could be wrong/melodramatic.

I think I need to meditate...

Bulldog Psion
2015-12-10, 03:44 AM
That sounds surprisingly ominous. :smalleek:

I mean, Nietzsche? :smalleek:

Though I do love that quote, especially the first translated version of it I encountered: "He who battles monsters must take care lest he become a monster; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, then the abyss will also gaze into thee."

Gopher Wizard
2015-12-10, 02:58 PM
That sounds surprisingly ominous. :smalleek:

I mean, Nietzsche? :smalleek:

That's why I included this:

Though I could be wrong/melodramatic.

Also I think the first quote is far more accurate. Though technically I didn't quote Mr. Wilde. I only paraphrased him.

Jay R
2015-12-10, 09:38 PM
So are you going to tell us, or are you deliberately replaying your frustrating wait out on us?

SilverStrike
2015-12-11, 10:36 AM
Twice a day! Or more if I'm expecting something important.

Mr.Moron
2015-12-11, 10:46 AM
For work? Every 10 minutes or so. Checking is a very different beast from responding though.

Gopher Wizard
2015-12-11, 12:46 PM
So are you going to tell us, or are you deliberately replaying your frustrating wait out on us?

My apologies. I didn't realize anyone was so invested in my dealings/life.

So I got the email back, and it was what I was hoping for - good news and an acceptance. In fact better than I hoped as the conditions are better for me.

So why do I feel like this? Why am I plagued with so much doubt and regret? Why do I now wish I never gotten a reply? Am I just fearful of success or am I overly worried about how this could turn out if I fail?

Jay R
2015-12-11, 02:44 PM
So why do I feel like this? Why am I plagued with so much doubt and regret? Why do I now wish I never gotten a reply? Am I just fearful of success or am I overly worried about how this could turn out if I fail?

Because you're human.

Gopher Wizard
2015-12-11, 02:55 PM
Because you're human.

A miserable pile of secrets?:smallconfused:

But enough video game references. I guess you're right. I'm gonna go watch Birdman and the Life Aquatic and get back to work on this project and respond to some emails.

ZaneShadow
2015-12-15, 02:06 PM
Like twice a year.

Eldariel
2015-12-15, 03:11 PM
I check it every couple of hours to once a day depending on my daily plan (if I'm e.g. on a dance camp, I'm less inclined to touch electronics). However, as stated before, checking and reacting are two very different beasts. Unless I absolutely have to react within a small time window, I'd rather take time until I'm actually free to focus and give the important messages proper responses. Something hastily thrown together generally doesn't serve well when it comes to important matters.

Gopher Wizard
2015-12-15, 06:54 PM
Like twice a year.

Of what planet? I'm hoping Mercury.

Mascara
2015-12-15, 08:18 PM
Every day. Once a day.

Janna
2015-12-22, 09:30 PM
I will check my email every day. I will always open its page as long as my computer is on and check it several times a day.

Featherstone
2015-12-24, 04:47 PM
I check my smartphone all the time, but then I ignore boring emails...

Evandar
2016-01-06, 06:37 AM
I started checking my emails compulsively while trying to qualify for my Honours year at university. It sucked when tutors just didn't respond to important queries.

Lettuce
2016-01-06, 03:32 PM
I struggle to check it every day; I've been trying to make an effort for it since I have some relatives who freak out and assume that I've died if I don't respond to them within 24 hours. It doesn't come easy to me, though--I have to keep a tab open and remember to click on it from time to time. If left completely to myself, I'd probably only check it 1-2 times a week, max. I'm one of those weird people who doesn't have a smartphone, so I'm sure that doesn't help. :smalltongue:

Whisper Knight
2016-01-07, 09:35 AM
The wonderful modern technology of cellphones help out with the wonderful modern technology of e-mail. Like a lot of peeps, I have my phone notify me of new mail with a little sound. So, unless I'm specifically waiting for something, the answer to that question is, whenever I hear the ding. Which means I'd be completely screwed if there's a world-breaking e-mail sent to me, and I'm in the shower. XD

BannedInSchool
2016-01-15, 08:25 PM
Argh, I just got crap from someone in the same house for not having read an email they sent ten minutes before. :smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2016-01-15, 08:33 PM
Every day. My phone notifies me, so yeah.