PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed 3.5 unarmed strike+ necklace of natural weapons

KozanShoku
2015-11-29, 09:03 PM
Hello there could someone please clarify this for me? when using the necklace of natural attacks for a monk's unarmed strikes. is it considered 1 natural weapon or 2? i would also appreciate it if someone could clarify the ruling of necklace of natural attacks on a creature with 2 claw attacks. i don't know if the necklaces enchantment price is determined by the types of natural weapons or by how many claws/ hands it is effecting.

And yes i realize the necklace is 3.0 but it is allowed in the campaign

Crake
2015-11-29, 09:13 PM
It's based on the actual number of weapons affected, so 2 claws is double the price. Unarmed strike is considered a single natural weapon, so it would not incur a cost multiplier.

KozanShoku
2015-11-29, 09:14 PM
thank you :)

Necroticplague
2015-11-29, 09:16 PM
Hello there could someone please clarify this for me? when using the necklace of natural attacks for a monk's unarmed strikes. is it considered 1 natural weapon or 2? i would also appreciate it if someone could clarify the ruling of necklace of natural attacks on a creature with 2 claw attacks. i don't know if the necklaces enchantment price is determined by the types of natural weapons or by how many claws/ hands it is effecting.

An unarmed strike is one natural weapon. You can make it with any part of your body, so how could you get two?

As for claws, each claw is a seperate natural weapon, so it multiplies the cost as normal. The fact they are mechanically identical doesn't make them the same weapon any more than two differer daggers are the same weapon. This is one of the reasons the amulet of mighty fists is considered superior.

Hiro Quester
2015-11-29, 09:23 PM
Yes. Getting it for two claws is okay. But cheaper and possibly better to get it for the monk unarmed strikes, which count as one natural weapon.

The benefit in applying it to UASs, instead of claws, is that they will be his primary attack, claws are secondary attacks. And at higher levels you get iterative attacks with UAS. Plus attacks of opportunity. Plus extra attacks when hasted, etc.

The usual wisdom is that if you have three or more attacks, an amulet of mighty fists is better value. Adds bonus to all natural weapons, UASs and claws and bite.

Chronos
2015-11-29, 09:48 PM
The problem with the amulet of mighty fists is that it only gives you pluses, but a necklace of natural weapons can get you any weapon special ability, and after the first plus, the special abilities are usually more valuable.

emeraldstreak
2015-11-29, 09:57 PM
The problem with the amulet of mighty fists is that it only gives you pluses, but a necklace of natural weapons can get you any weapon special ability, and after the first plus, the special abilities are usually more valuable.

Another problem with Amulet of mighty fists is it is ridiculously overpriced. Go necklace, if unavailable go permanencied Greater magic fang.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-29, 11:44 PM
Another problem with Amulet of mighty fists is it is ridiculously overpriced.
For unarmed strike alone, you're correct. If you've got 7 other natural weapons in addition to unarmed strike, the item is a real bargain.

Hiro Quester
2015-11-30, 02:08 AM
Yes. The other enhancements are often more valuable. But for value, if you have more than three different natural attacks, an amulet of mighty fists is cheaper.

My current 11 level character, a Druid (with one level dip in monk) is using a +3 amulet of mighty fists (we defeated a monk wearing one). In tiger wildshape, with two UASs and claw claw bite, plus two rake attacks if I make the grapple check, that amulet adding +3 to all seven attacks is way cheaper than paying for each enhancement separately.

A permanent greater magic fang is nice too, but that is limited to +1 to all attacks.

Bronk
2015-11-30, 05:50 AM

The most recent version of the weapon is 3.5, and is here (at the bottom of the page):

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a