PDA

View Full Version : Player Help DFA Help (Again)

JNAProductions
2015-11-29, 10:37 PM
Another campaign, another DFA.

Race is: Mongrelfolk.

That's about all I've decided. I'm looking at 12th level, standard WBL.

Link to character sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=634691

I really just need magic item advice.

Troacctid
2015-11-29, 11:08 PM
Feats:
1. Entangling Exhalation (and, if flaws are allowed, Ability Focus (breath weapon) and Nymph's Kiss)
3. Obtain Familiar
6. Knowledge Devotion
9. Planar Familiar (Lantern Archon)
12. Extra Invocation

Invocations:
Least: Draconic Knowledge, Endure Exposure
Lesser: Walk Unseen, Voracious Dispelling, Draconic Flight
Greater: Chilling Fog

Breath effects:
2. Frost Breath OR Lightning Breath
5. Slow Breath OR Acid Breath
10. Thunder Breath OR Enduring Breath

Remember to put 2 skill points into the Collector of Stories skill trick.

JNAProductions
2015-11-29, 11:11 PM
Like I said, all I really need help with now is magic items. I don't even know what WBL is at 12th level.

Troacctid
2015-11-29, 11:24 PM
WBL at 12 is 88,000 gp.

You'll want pretty standard items. Other than a Dragon Spirit Cincture (2000) with a +1 flaming screaming frost shuriken (640 gp) to go with it, there's not much that's DFA-specific.

JNAProductions
2015-11-29, 11:25 PM
That doesn't help.

Well, yes, actually, it does, so thank you. But I don't know what standard items are.

ImperatorV
2015-11-29, 11:29 PM
I assume he means items to cover the "essentials" of D&D. There's a good list here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) You can ignore flight since you get it from an invocation, but the other things are always good buys.

Draconium
2015-11-29, 11:30 PM
Well, you'll probably want to look at the Wondrous Items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#) list on the SRD and see what could be useful, for a start. I'd recommend an Amulet of Health to boost your Con, since that's what your breath weapon DC bases on, and other stat-boosters couldn't hurt either.

Troacctid
2015-11-29, 11:36 PM
You'll want an enhancement bonus to Con, AC boosts, save boosts, initiative boosts, extradimensional storage, teleportation, flight, miss chances, stuff like that. As well as a big pile of useful scrolls and wands, since you have UMD.

JNAProductions
2015-11-29, 11:37 PM
All the info is on the sheet. Let me know what I can improve.

Rubik
2015-11-29, 11:45 PM
Definitely look through the Necessary Items thread.

Beyond that, look for NOPE buttons. Things that flat-out neuter things that try to attack you -- or at least give you a great way to overcome things, either during an effect or after the fact.

Shirt of wraith stalking, from the MIC, makes you literally unnoticeable to undead, no save.

Instant short-range teleport effects provided by the shadow cloak from Drow of the Underdark and the anklets of translocation from the MIC can get you out of all sorts of sticky situations, like grappling or being the target of an ubercharger.

Invest in rings of diamond mind from Tome of Battle for save-replacers. You've got a great Con score, and if you invest in Concentration, you can avoid lots of effects that require saving throws, especially if it's a low save and a really nasty effect if you fail.

And speaking of Tome of Battle, look through all of the maneuvers of levels 1-3, and stock up on some of the maneuver-granting items. 3,000 gp for some really good offensive, defensive, and utility moves 1/minute can get you some very valuable tricks you can pull off.

Troacctid
2015-11-29, 11:55 PM
Your magic weapon should be a shuriken, not a club, because it's priced as ammunition, meaning it costs 1/50 the normal price. (It has a 50% chance of breaking if you throw it, so don't throw it.)

Your armor and shield should be +1. I'd add an armor crystal and a shield crystal to them as well (see MIC): either a crystal of arrow deflection or a clasp of energy protection for the shield; and either a restful crystal, crystal of aquatic action, or crystal of mind cloaking for the armor. Also, if you only want mithral for the weight reduction, then you might as well get regular armor and add the Easy Travel property (MIC p10, +1,500 gp)--it's cheaper and does about the same thing.

You still need a pile of wands and scrolls to use with UMD.

Rubik
2015-11-30, 12:21 AM
If you could get a Permanencied Reduce Person, it won't affect your Con or breath weapon at all, and instead of carrying your tower shield, get a Small darkwood tower shield and a collar of perpetual attendance (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c) to carry it for you and set it to full cover each round. The +4 to AC won't give you as much as the full cover will, and you don't have to deal with the -10 penalties that carrying your shield yourself will. You need the shield to be darkwood and Small so the unseen servant can carry the weight, and you to be Small to fit behind the shield. And since you're not wielding it yourself, casters can't target your shield to affect you with ray spells and the like.

You'll also want to stock up on various miss chances (mainly concealment and cover). They scale a lot better than AC bonuses do, because 50% is always 50%, whereas +1 to AC means nothing if your AC is too high or too low, and you need to constantly improve your AC to keep up with BAB and Str scores that rise faster than you can comfortably keep up -- and most AC does nothing at all against touch attacks, whereas that 50% will help against those, too. And make sure you get different sources of miss chances, because the 20% chance to miss for a Blur spell is completely different than the miss chance for Blinking, since one is due to you not being where they're trying to hit, and the other is because you're on a different plane altogether, and they're both subject to different effects to overcome them. Mirror Image is great, too, since it's not a miss chance so much as it is a guessing game to see which image your foes attack.

JNAProductions
2015-11-30, 12:25 AM
I have an Eversmoking bottle.

Rubik
2015-11-30, 12:31 AM
I have an Eversmoking bottle.That does work well with your blindsense, yeah. Remember that nothing can target you directly if you have 100% concealment against someone, which includes sneak attackers and AoO-makers. AoE effects can still get you, though.

You won't be able to do much at range, however.