PDA

View Full Version : This is War!

Nosta
2015-11-29, 11:59 PM
so I am working on stuff for a new 3.5 campaign and one them is a Not to be messed with Badass who is the avatar of war itself

my only trouble is figuring out how to build this guy

I don't want to just go strait mashing goodess so I liked some Ideas on how to build him

Lv 20 all books and Drg mags allowed

Caudex Capite
2015-11-30, 12:21 AM
"Avatar of War" is really, really broad. If you mean that he's actually an avatar of a war deity, you're looking at using the Avatar Salient Divine Ability and all that entails. The rules are available on the SRD. Obviously, if you're a PC, you're probably not going to be getting Divine Ranks. If you just want a very effective level 20 martial combatant, Warblade 20 is a solid option and reasonably easy to build. If you want the ability to deal huge amounts of melee damage as a mundane, some form of Ubercharger is probably in order - a quick google search will help you there. If you're interested in something a little more complicated, Person_Man's Guide to Melee Combos is a good start. Other than that, there are lots of interesting optimized melee builds. Flaming Homer and Haberdash the Masked, and (though not strictly melee) the King of Pong are things you might find interesting.

Now, if this is supposed to be a dangerous NPC with some measure of divine power who isn't a straight up deity/Avatar, look into the Abomination subtype on the SRD. Toss that (with an appropriate unique ability) on a Warblade 20 and you've got a force to be reckoned with.

Tvtyrant
2015-11-30, 02:44 AM
I'm assuming you mean a super strong guy and not an actual deity.

Feral Half-Minotaur Orc Barbarian 1/Warblade 5/Orc Warlord 5/9 of whatever

If you take extra followers you have 174 followers at level 11, maxes out your followers at 489 by level 15. You have your own private army of followers to do your bidding of tremendously substantial size.

Sadly you stop at level 20, or you could get epic leadership, grab festering anger, and nab thousands of followers.

icefractal
2015-11-30, 02:53 AM
Depends on what you mean by 'avatar of war'. Off the bat, that could mean being good at:
* Personally fighting.
* Leading soldiers directly.
* Leading/organizing an entire military campaign.
* Inciting wars.
* Knowing/deciding which side will win a war.

Which of those do you want to focus on?

Caudex Capite
2015-11-30, 08:59 AM
I'm assuming you mean a super strong guy and not an actual deity.

Feral Half-Minotaur Orc Barbarian 1/Warblade 5/Orc Warlord 5/9 of whatever

If you take extra followers you have 174 followers at level 11, maxes out your followers at 489 by level 15. You have your own private army of followers to do your bidding of tremendously substantial size.

Sadly you stop at level 20, or you could get epic leadership, grab festering anger, and nab thousands of followers.

I'm pretty sure Power of Faerun did away with the cap on followers from Leadership without needing Epic Leadership, and added lots of bonuses to Leadership score besides.

Âmesang
2015-11-30, 09:13 AM
My first thought for such things always ends up as something like paladin 25 (or something 10/blackguard 15)* // divine emissary 1+, but that would make the character 26th-level at least…

*Or some sort of class combinations that'd allow earliest entry into divine emissary.

atemu1234
2015-11-30, 09:14 AM
I'm pretty sure Power of Faerun did away with the cap on followers from Leadership without needing Epic Leadership, and added lots of bonuses to Leadership score besides.

This'll make things even more fun...

Tvtyrant
2015-11-30, 04:33 PM

Yeah, it looks like getting to 1000 followers is pretty easy. Score of 30 requires at level 10 would take a strength mod of 20, so strength 50 total. Feral +4, half-minotaur +4, Orc +4, 18 base, half golem +12, levels +2, psionic sinews +4 each.

Flickerdart
2015-11-30, 04:51 PM
War is not just a guy. A guy can be a duelist. A guy can be an assassin, or a general, or a champion, or a casualty.

A guy cannot be War. War is legion.

A 10th level Master Transmogrifist can cast polymorph any object upon himself and choose to add any creature's extraordinary ability to his new form. Select a dragon or whatever for the polymorphed form, and select the Split ability of an ochre jelly as the bonus ability. Thereafter, proceed to stab yourself repeatedly, doubling your number every round. Ideally, you should reserve a portion of yourselves to wage endless and eternal war on something, while the rest of you repopulate your kind. Hell, you can wage war against yourself if you want - just have your first twin turn into a different colour dragon to make it more fun.

Âmesang
2015-11-30, 06:09 PM
Skip the war and have the master transmogrifiest(s) create ginormous teams to play Calvin Ball against each other.

Thealtruistorc
2015-11-30, 11:07 PM
War makes monsters of men, and those monsters can be tougher than anything you'd ever find in the manual.

The avatar of war should assume a different appearance depending on who views it. For some, it could be an orc raider who wants to take away everything you hold dear. To others, it may be a blastphemer who has taken to harming their god/country. To others, it might even be a paladin who has gone too far and would ravage that whic you (as a chaotic or evil individual) hold dear. Regardless, it should exemplify all that one hates, and that hate should turn the onlooker into a mad, slavering beast that will not rest until absolute destruction is brought down upon their quarry.

The Avatar of War should shine like a beacon on the battlefield, glowing with the raw, unbridled hatred of all those who look upon it and seethe. It doesn't move on its own, but as soon as some poor fool gives into his emotions and unleashes his rage on another, it becomes an unstoppable engine of destruction. Every blow splits the ground and drives countless souls into the fires of oblivion, and any who touch him are smothered in a thousand images of mutilated bodies and a million screams of fallen soldiers. Blood should whirl like a hurricane around it, each individual splatter instilling an insatiable hunger for blood in those it contacts. They go mad, butchering every and anything around them with immense strength they never thought they had, and the avatar of war simply looks on and smiles, for he no longer needs to work. His mad champions will ravage the world, each inciting a thousand others to take up arms and continue the needless bloodshed that he so craves. So long as two souls remain on this planet, conflict will continue to geyser like the spilled blood of the innocent, and the avatar of war will always be there, watching and smiling.