PDA

View Full Version : Marksman [PrC]

Callix
2007-06-07, 04:21 AM
This is my first attempt at a homebrew, an attempt to make a non-sucky, non-supernatural archer prestige class.

Marksman

Skilled at striking targets well before they can do anything in response, the marksman relies heavily on his bow. Fighters have the easiest time qualifying for this class, and it frees them from the limitations of some ranged feats. Rangers and rogues require more effort, but gain freedom to use potent class features at long range.

Prerequisites:
BAB: +6
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Far Shot, Weapon Focus (Any bow, not crossbows)

HD: d8
Class Skills: Climb, Craft, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Swim, Use Rope.
Skills: 4 + Int Modifier

Marksman
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Deadly Range (40ft)

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Improved Increment (10ft), Ranged Pin

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Deadly Range (50ft)

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Improved Increment (20ft), Each Way Bet

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Deadly Range (60ft)

6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+2|Improved Increment (30ft), Concussive Volley

7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+2|Deadly Range (70ft)

8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+2|Improved Increment (40ft), Lynch-Pin

9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+3|Deadly Range (80ft)

10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+3|Improved Increment (50ft), Deadly Precision[/table]

Deadly Range: Feats, such as Manyshot, and class abilities, such as sneak attacks, that require you to be within 30ft when using a ranged weapon may now be used within the listed range when wielding a projectile weapon with which you have taken Weapon Focus.

Improved Increment: Whenever this ability is gained, the Marksman adds 10ft to the range increment of any missile weapon with which he has Weapon Focus.

Ranged Pin: Gain Ranged Pin as a bonus feat (Complete Warrior). Deadly Range applies to this feat.

Each Way Bet: This allows a marksman to improve his chances of landing a hit at the cost of landing multiple ones. Using this ability uses two consecutive attacks within an iterative sequence. Both attacks must be aimed at the same target. Neither can benefit from precision-based damage. The first attack takes a -1 penalty to hit. If it hits, the second takes a -6 to hit. If the first attack misses, the second gains a +4 to hit and the target cannot apply his Dex modifier to his AC.

Concussive Volley: A creature struck by 3 or more arrows from a marksman in one round must make a Fortitude save (DC = 5 + highest damage dealt this round) or be staggered for one round, and be only able to take partial actions.

Lynch-Pin: This ability has two forms: Disable Machine and Weaken Armor.

*Disable Machine: By hitting a crucial component in a macine or device (strap, bolt, rope etc), you can disable the machine. It takes 1d4+1 rounds to repair to a serviceable condition. You must hit a Tiny object target, with a +2 AC if the target is moving, and any bonuses that apply to the wielder's touch AC if worn or held.

*Weaken Armor: By hitting a crucial link or strap in Medium or heavier armor or barding, you can make it clunky and ineffectual. Add any bonuses that apply to the wearer's touch AC to the AC of a Tiny object. On a hit, the AC bonus, maximum Dex bonus, and Armor Check penalty all take -2. This takes 1 full round to repair. Repairing draws attacks of opportunity.

Deadly Precision: The Marksman can hit his target in vital areas for extra damage. He adds 1d6 sneak attack damage as the rogue ability. He also gaind Deadly Range to the limit of his first range increment (including Improved Increment).

Callix
2007-06-08, 12:11 AM
Please... Gimme some feedback... If you hate it, tell me why... If it's boring, say so... I feel so alone...:smallfrown:

TwistedCable
2007-06-08, 04:47 AM
Ok, deadly range and improved increment seem pretty neat - a nice, even sort of boost as they progress. Most of the other abilities seem fine, although I'm not too fond of lynch pin - nice idea, i guess, but disable machine in particular seems to be very situational and the sort of thing the DM would normally be governing. Looks like your going for the 'sniper' type archer, so I'd consider reducing fort save, and maybe changing the 'deadly precision' to a 'death attack' (assassin) like ability.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Mordokai
2007-06-08, 08:27 AM
I like archers, so I like this PrC. Concussive Volley DC seems somewhat low, maybe 10 + hightest damage delt. Otherwise, no real problems. But, that's just me, maybe somebody else will give you a better opinion.

Abjurer
2007-06-08, 11:52 AM
A 10th-level marksman with a composite longbow and true strike could shoot an arrow 1600 ft at his highest attack bonus. I'm not sure of the base range increment for a greatbow, but that would be even worse. It seems a little much, and I think the class would be abused horribly. Rogue/fighter/marksmen would destroy the world. :smallannoyed:
Elsewise, I rather like it.

Callix
2007-06-11, 03:39 AM
..... 1600ft max range, but no specials and a -20 penalty to attack. Admittedly, a composite bow, far shot and Disance allows for 380ft sneak attacks and ranged pins, but compared to thje old deepwood sniper, it's pretty basic. Death attacks at these ranges would be totally broken. Thanks for the feedback.

Matthew
2007-06-15, 05:49 PM
Weaken Armour seems a bit on the odd side to me. Not the sort of thing I like to see, personally. Otherwise, aside from the silly ranges (which are no big deal in D&D anyway) it seems quite an interesting Prestige Class. I can think of a couple of other Class Features that might be cool, but this is probably fine as is.