PDA

View Full Version : The Beguiled

Charity
2007-06-07, 05:35 AM
OK so I am all made up with the shiny new Beguiler class, however if I wish to
apply advanced learning wisely which spell selections would you advise?

Levels 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th I believe, though you can sub any of those levels for a lower level spell.

Enchantment and Illusion spells only for those of you whom don't know.

What tools are missing from the beguilers box?

Dhavaer
2007-06-07, 05:48 AM
Shadow Evocation/Conjuration and their variants are the best picks.

Tokiko Mima
2007-06-07, 05:49 AM
OK so I am all made up with the shiny new Beguiler class, however if I wish to
apply advanced learning wisely which spell selections would you advise?

Levels 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th I believe, though you can sub any of those levels for a lower level spell.

Enchantment and Illusion spells only for those of you whom don't know.

What tools are missing from the beguilers box?

For level 1, Distract Assailant from Complete Adventurer is a good spell with a lot of utility, especially if your party includes rogues. It's an immediate action cast that makes the target flatfooted for a round. Nothing like making a touch attack spell against a foe that can't apply their DEX-based AC either.

I'll have to think on the other ones.

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-07, 07:55 AM
Shadow Evocation/Conjuration seriously boosts your effectiveness. Other than that, theres no real 'best' way to do it. Beguiler by itself is pretty effective, so think of the Advanced Learning picks as style-choices.

DaMullet
2007-06-07, 11:17 AM
Well, I like Ventriloquism. It's rather useful, and it fits the flavor of the class.

Greendevilman
2007-06-07, 12:19 PM
If you want to go broken at low levels and deal real damage its pretty hard to beat Power Word: Pain from Races of the Dragon. Enchantment, 1d6 a round with no save (though it is a Compulsion[mind affecting] spell) to a creature with less than 100hp for a number of rounds based on HP. It's at least 1d4 rounds so long as they've less than 101hp though, so you're definitely doing real damage for a level 1 spell. It's also hideously overpowered and you may not actually want to do it, especially since what you're capable of doing is so much more effective than mere damage most of the time anyhow.

For later picks the Shadow Evocation/Conjuration line is the traditional way to go. Note that it is better to take a single level of whatever random +1 casting level PrC you qualify for (Mindbender is easiest IIRC) than the 7th Beguiler level before continuing as that way you'll get to use your advanced learning pick as an 8th level spellcaster and can pick up Shadow Conjuration much earlier than you otherwise would be able to.

Also note that if you're a gnome (or have a DM willing to adapt) the Shadowcraft Mage PRC from Races of Stone will add a ton of versitality to your spell list, since you'll be able to use heightened silent images to mimic quasi-real evocation and conjuration spells all day long, with even greater effect if you abuse Earth Spell. It's also considered one of the stronger PrCs out there so be warned, though Beguiler has fewer shennanigains available than Wizards do. You can also give yourself a bit of gish flavor by taking some combination of the revised Swiftblade (on Wizard's site) and Abjurant Champion, though straight Beguiler is a perfectly fine class all the way up.

Edit: And actually just go here (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=805782).

Charity
2007-06-08, 07:13 AM
Thanks ^ nice linky link.