PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Use every part of the buffalo

Flickerdart
2015-11-30, 10:47 AM
Let's say you're squaring off against a goblin or whatever. The goblin is easily defeated, and is now in the negatives and bleeding out. Most adventurers would finish off the goblin and move on to the next room.

These adventurers are fiscally irresponsible.

What are all the uses we can get out of an unconscious creature? While it will probably end up dead in the end, it is more profitable to first apply methods that don't result in loss of life.

Uses:

Brain eaten by an illithid savant
Ability scores drained by a Body Leech
Agony extracted from body (what is the method for this?)
Sacrifice the creature on an altar (multiple uses)
Raise the creature as undead
Heart removed for use as a material component
Blood drained by a vampire for sustenance

Is there anything else?

FocusWolf413
2015-11-30, 11:01 AM
Sell the meat as "pork."
Turn the sinew into rope.
Eyes are also spell components.
Sell the teeth to a denture maker.

Nibbens
2015-11-30, 11:18 AM
Bone can be made into a plethora of weapons, and I'm certain there's some "Bone Armor" somewhere in D&D.
A stomach can be cleaned out, filled with milk and used to make cheese from the natural enzymes etc. I hear goblin cheese is a delicacy among the nobles of Rab's Progress.
Intestines can be used for sausage casings. Bonus points if the same goblin's meat is used in his own sausage casing.
Goblin skin - while leathery, can provide a variety of clothing options after they've been tanned by the aformentioned goblins brain. From boot linings, to goblin skin capes an individual goblin can be used for smaller clothing items. You could even sew a bunch of them together to make goblin skin pants and shirts.
Goblin Brains could be used (as mentioned earlier) for tanning things.
Goblin skulls, on the other hand, could be used from anything from a cup to a cereal bowl to a hat if you're really desperate.
Goblin blood could be boiled down to make a fine ink. I hear that a particular printing press pays good price for live goblins to bleed dry. I'd direct you to the job posting board in the center of town, but I can't remember where it's at at the moment.
Goblins (at least according to PF) eat 4X5 times their body weight a day in food (and I use the word "food" in quotations, because a rock can count as food for a goblin), so if you have a large pit, throw a goblin in there and have a city dump its trash into the pit as well. It's a natural way to dispose of waste within the city limits.

Uncle Pine
2015-11-30, 11:30 AM
Any part of the goblin can be used as a material component!

Material Component: A small bit of whatever naturally makes the sound you're trying to mimic.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-11-30, 11:32 AM
You can drain it to make yourself 36 weeks younger on the night of a full moon with Steal Life (you're limited by its Cha 6 here, so it'll still be alive after that).
If you're a druid you can turn it into a Yellow Musk Zombie or Myconid Zombie with the relevant plant wild shape.
You can turn it into a living zombie to slow your aging by half.
You can use Flesh to Salt to turn it into salt and sell it.

And the method to extract Agony is the Liquid Pain spell (BoVD), but you're going to want to reduce the 1 day casting time.

Flickerdart
2015-11-30, 12:06 PM
You can drain it to make yourself 36 weeks younger on the night of a full moon with Steal Life (you're limited by its Cha 6 here, so it'll still be alive after that).
If you're a druid you can turn it into a Yellow Musk Zombie or Myconid Zombie with the relevant plant wild shape.
You can turn it into a living zombie to slow your aging by half.
Hm, I like that - turn it into salt, chisel off the flesh, turn it back, it dies, and then you raise it as a skeleton.

And the method to extract Agony is the Liquid Pain spell (BoVD), but you're going to want to reduce the 1 day casting time.
Uncanny Forethought morphs any spell into a full round action.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-30, 12:14 PM
Oh, you can do better than that. You first cast Eagle's Splendor to bump the CHA by +4, Owl's Wisdom to bump the WIS by +4, and Fox's Cunning to bump the INT by +4. You've then got a low score of 10 in Charisma, so you drain that one last. You get 10 drains of CHA and 11 of all the other stats, for a total of 65 weeks of youth. Draining any of the mental stats down to 0 just ensures that the Goblin is unconscious, and when the buff spells wear off there's no change: the Goblin continues to have mental scores of 0 and remains unconscious.

Telonius
2015-11-30, 12:47 PM
With a high enough check, the body could be used by an Exemplar with Craft (Taxidermy) to gain fanatical followers. (Also a stylish stuffed goblin, but that's just gravy).

EDIT: Perform (Puppeteer) could give you the same, without absolutely needing to kill the Goblin. Keep him just healed enough that he's unconscious, and re-enact Weekend at Bernie's.

Tvtyrant
2015-11-30, 03:36 PM
I was going to say you can make a variety of undead from one body. Skeleton, brain in a jar, Bloodhulk, shadow, ghost, animated object out of the hair, etc.

nedz
2015-11-30, 03:43 PM
Dominate and Cure it so that you can turn it into the party's bag carrier.
The Monk's player can then retire their character and create a new one; adding a new member to the party.

Tvtyrant
2015-11-30, 03:45 PM
Dominate and Cure it so that you can turn it into the party's bag carrier.
The Monk's player can then retire their character and create a new one; adding a new member to the party.

While funny, I don't think anyone mentioned a monk player.

Werephilosopher
2015-11-30, 04:01 PM
If it knows any psionic powers, let the erudite have a crack at it.

nedz
2015-11-30, 04:04 PM
While funny, I don't think anyone mentioned a monk player.

There's always a Monk player even if they are playing some other class, like Wizard possibly.
Unfortunately they tend to be attached to their character.

mabriss lethe
2015-11-30, 05:25 PM
Make sure to feed your goblin to a deepspawn first, so that it will spawn copies that you can continue to abuse.

Âmesang
2015-11-30, 05:49 PM
Does this mean I can play as that old sidewalk-salting man from Home Alone?

Jeff the Green
2015-11-30, 06:11 PM
Eat part of its brain to learn what it knows with absorb mind.

GreyBlack
2015-11-30, 06:30 PM
Sell the meat as "pork."
Turn the sinew into rope.
Eyes are also spell components.
Sell the teeth to a denture maker.

Funny you say that, I actually played an antipaladin who did that, except with a human being and passing the meat off as "Bulette" meat, hence the exotic taste.

This being after seducing, sacrificing, and mutilating her, of course.

FocusWolf413
2015-12-01, 04:51 AM
Funny you say that, I actually played an antipaladin who did that, except with a human being and passing the meat off as "Bulette" meat, hence the exotic taste.

This being after seducing, sacrificing, and mutilating her, of course.

Human doesn't have an exotic taste. It's called long pork for a reason.

The whole denture thing has a lot of historical accuracy. After battles, people would go onto the battlefield with pliers and a bucket and rip the teeth from the dead and dying soldiers. This was extremely popular in the civil war.

Rubik
2015-12-01, 05:32 AM
Guys, guys! We're missing one very important part that must not go to waste under any circumstances! The soul! Granted, it's shriveled and gamey, but there are lots of things you can do, even when it's Diet Soul, filled with artificial flavors and preservatives!

If you have a thinaun sacrificial dagger, you can extract its soul when you eventually sacrifice the body to your dark gods.

Souls can be used as material components in spells with XP costs to lower said cost. (By 10 whole XP!) It's widely considered the vilest of acts, so stock up and use as many souls as possible to pay for Gating in a solar! For science! hilarity!

Souls are frequently used as currency on the lower planes. Usually, souls are harvested when they become post consumer product dretches or lemures, but now souls of Neutral and even Good alignment can be used! And not only that, but it's the soul of someone who is still connected to the memories and personality of their previous life, so just imagine the fun that can be had by fiends when tormenting them! Make sure to advertise and markup the cost appropriately.

They can be turned into any number of incorporeal undead. And since their souls are usually largely self-aware, rebuking them and Haunt Shifting them into a construct horror becomes all the more amusing, I'm sure. Even better if you can force the whinging and complaining spirits to slaughter their former loved ones. Fun for the whole family!

Waste not, want not!

WalkingTheShade
2015-12-01, 05:34 AM
In Sunless Citadel, PCs actually used one unlucky goblin prisoner on a leash to open the way in the dungeon, to detect traps and attract monsters. When the goblin finally died, they stuffed the body inside a coffin, in case they ran out of food inside the dungeon.
To make sure the troll was dead for good, they butchered the carcass and gave away the meat to the dungeon's kobolds.

EDIT: or you know, you can also revive the goblin, and then interrogate it, charm it, dominate it, etc.

Bullet06320
2015-12-01, 05:45 AM
fingernails, its the same stuff as rhino horn, just grind it down to powder, you cant tell the difference

bladder, stomach and intestines are all water tight casings for a variety of purposes

intestines can also be used to make bow strings and musical instrument strings

there is always the traditional goblin ear necklace

skin can used to make bookbindings

use the face, after a taxidermist has done his thing to make really freaky Halloween masks

Rubik
2015-12-01, 05:50 AM
If you have a cheap means of healing and resurrection, such as repeating traps of Regenerate and True Resurrection, you can always strip it of all the useful parts, Regenerate them, and repeat. And when you finally sacrifice the body, capture the soul in a thinaun dagger, and then use the soul to resurrect it. Then you can do it all over again. Indefinitely.

Crake
2015-12-01, 05:57 AM
Uncanny Forethought morphs any spell into a full round action.

Unfortunately, even if you reduce the casting time to 1 full round action, it still takes 1 full day to distil according to the spell description. The other thing is that the creature needs to be subjected to great pain for the duration, so I mean, you could take him out to a rape dungeon or whatever, but you aren't getting your liquid pain any faster than a day per dose.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-12-01, 06:27 AM
If you have a cheap means of healing and resurrection, such as repeating traps of Regenerate and True Resurrection, you can always strip it of all the useful parts, Regenerate them, and repeat. And when you finally sacrifice the body, capture the soul in a thinaun dagger, and then use the soul to resurrect it. Then you can do it all over again. Indefinitely.

You're overlooking the part where "the soul must be free and willing to return". Even the dumbest goblin will rather stay dead after being resurrected once only to be butchered again.
And you'd have to butcher a whole lot of goblins to make up for the initial costs of the traps even if it did work. Those things aren't exactly cheap, and a goblin isn't really worth that much.

WalkingTheShade
2015-12-01, 07:07 AM
You're overlooking the part where "the soul must be free and willing to return". Even the dumbest goblin will rather stay dead after being resurrected once only to be butchered again.
And you'd have to butcher a whole lot of goblins to make up for the initial costs of the traps even if it did work. Those things aren't exactly cheap, and a goblin isn't really worth that much.
Bah, stay away from my games with your so-called economic rationality! We don't need no such things, 'round here.

Inevitability
2015-12-01, 07:11 AM

Use Miracle instead. Deities are able to bring unwilling souls back from the dead. A malevolent god of death/life probably wouldn't be opposed to his follower becoming wealthy and powerful (as long as you continue serving him, of course) so by invoking miracle after miracle you should be able to let the goblin remain alive.

Âmesang
2015-12-01, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately, even if you reduce the casting time to 1 full round action, it still takes 1 full day to distil according to the spell description. The other thing is that the creature needs to be subjected to great pain for the duration, so I mean, you could take him out to a rape dungeon or whatever, but you aren't getting your liquid pain any faster than a day per dose.
Yet I recall liquid pain also having a Craft (alchemy) DC (20), though perhaps that's only for refining liquid pain into a usable drug? I guess raw pain just isn't good enough, but I figure one could apply fabricate to that somehow.

elonin
2015-12-01, 07:25 AM
Maybe I missed something but if you are extracting body parts and its alive might as well extract some liquid pain. Another use is to send it back to its group as a necro bomb.

Novawurmson
2015-12-01, 08:54 AM
Use speak with dead or similar means to find out the information it knew in life; don't just use every part of his body - harvest every memory.

If Pathfinder is one the table, create treasure map (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/create-treasure-map) will let you find its valuables, and blood biography (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-biography) can give you a little more information (though I don't suspect you'll get any surprises about how it was slain).

With a high enough check, the body could be used by an Exemplar with Craft (Taxidermy) to gain fanatical followers. (Also a stylish stuffed goblin, but that's just gravy).

EDIT: Perform (Puppeteer) could give you the same, without absolutely needing to kill the Goblin. Keep him just healed enough that he's unconscious, and re-enact Weekend at Bernie's.

These are my favorite answers.

Rubik
2015-12-01, 09:20 AM
Speak With Dead isn't enough. Mindrape, however...

GreyBlack
2015-12-01, 10:07 AM
Human doesn't have an exotic taste. It's called long pork for a reason.

The whole denture thing has a lot of historical accuracy. After battles, people would go onto the battlefield with pliers and a bucket and rip the teeth from the dead and dying soldiers. This was extremely popular in the civil war.

Well, I may or may not have contracted fantasy syphilis from the woman, so I wasn't sure if that would affect the taste.

Again, antipaladin/bringer of disease.

Flickerdart
2015-12-01, 11:33 AM
Souls can be used as material components in spells with XP costs to lower said cost. (By 10 whole XP!) It's widely considered the vilest of acts, so stock up and use as many souls as possible to pay for Gating in a solar! For science! hilarity!
Isn't that only for crafting? The BoVD spell components section doesn't mention anything about XP.

Rubik
2015-12-01, 05:43 PM
And you'd have to butcher a whole lot of goblins to make up for the initial costs of the traps even if it did work. Those things aren't exactly cheap, and a goblin isn't really worth that much.If you have the soul in the dagger, you can still use Magic Jar to swap it into a body you make via Polymorph Any Object. Normally, this could be a waste of spells, since you could harvest parts from the inert body, but can a body without a soul truly experience pain?

Plus, convert pain to pleasure and make both liquid pain AND ambrosia. A lot better chance of the soul coming back, if needed. Only do this if you actually like the soul in question, though. Many find this...distasteful.

Isn't that only for crafting? The BoVD spell components section doesn't mention anything about XP.Maybe that's what I was thinking of. Oh well. Craft a scroll of Gate, then, and use the scroll. Add in other optional material components such as a goblin child's finger bones and such. Angels love children, right?

Flickerdart
2015-12-01, 06:14 PM
Maybe that's what I was thinking of. Oh well. Craft a scroll of Gate, then, and use the scroll. Add in other optional material components such as a goblin child's finger bones and such. Angels love children, right?
An [Evil] magic item that casts a [Good] spell? I like it.