PDA

View Full Version : Necropolitan Illithid vs Hydra

SangoProduction
2015-11-30, 11:57 AM
Let's assume that the illithid somehow managed to grapple a hyrdra by some method, and extracted its brain (from 1 head)...what happens to that head? It's not destroyed because it's still there...it's brain is just missing. So does the brain just regenerate after a couple rounds of it not being burned, or is the head just a useless lump of flesh now?

Flickerdart
2015-11-30, 12:31 PM
An illithid cannot extract a hydra's brain because of an unfortunate clause in the hydra's stat block: "Any attack that is not (or cannot be) an attempt to sunder a head affects the body." The illithid's Extract ability is a special attack and not a sunder attempt, and therefore affects the body, where there are no brains to be extracted.

SangoProduction
2015-11-30, 01:25 PM
An illithid cannot extract a hydra's brain because of an unfortunate clause in the hydra's stat block: "Any attack that is not (or cannot be) an attempt to sunder a head affects the body." The illithid's Extract ability is a special attack and not a sunder attempt, and therefore affects the body, where there are no brains to be extracted.

That's...got to be one of the silliest rulings I've ever seen. Then again, this is the one creature where you use sunder on a living thing.

Mehangel
2015-11-30, 02:46 PM
You know, it is quite possible, that none of the hydra's heads actually have a brain. Rather, it is possible that the hydra have a brain located at its rear, much like common myth about the stegosaurus. This would both allow for mind flayers to be not only maintain use of their abilities, but also provide a rather comical if disturbing image of the illithid extracting the hydra's brain.

Chronos
2015-11-30, 02:59 PM
What's the relevance of necropolitan, here (mentioned in the title but not in the body of the OP)?

And even if hydrata do keep their brains in their heads, and you did remove one or more of them, I don't think it would suffer from it. It can, after all, survive having its heads removed entirely. Any one brain is able to control the body of the creature, and I see no reason to assume that it couldn't also control ancephalic heads.

SangoProduction
2015-11-30, 03:49 PM
What's the relevance of necropolitan, here (mentioned in the title but not in the body of the OP)?

And even if hydra do keep their brains in their heads, and you did remove one or more of them, I don't think it would suffer from it. It can, after all, survive having its heads removed entirely. Any one brain is able to control the body of the creature, and I see no reason to assume that it couldn't also control ancephalic heads.

Absolutely no relevance to the question itself. But the question regarding the the brain sucking was in particular asking if the brain cavity then had to be fried/acidified, or else 2 more brains pop up in there, or if there was nothing that it could do about the heads that lack a brain (....hmm...Auto correct is not saying acidified is incorrect, cool.)

Inevitability
2015-11-30, 04:00 PM
You know, it is quite possible, that none of the hydra's heads actually have a brain. Rather, it is possible that the hydra have a brain located at its rear, much like common myth about the stegosaurus. This would both allow for mind flayers to be not only maintain use of their abilities, but also provide a rather comical if disturbing image of the illithid extracting the hydra's brain.

You know? That actually makes a lot of sense. After all, a hydra with only one head is still as smart as one with twelve, despite the latter one having much more brain tissue (even when you take additional motor control in account). Besides, just having to regenerate flesh, muscles and bones would be easier for the hydra, too.

atemu1234
2015-11-30, 04:23 PM
You know? That actually makes a lot of sense. After all, a hydra with only one head is still as smart as one with twelve, despite the latter one having much more brain tissue (even when you take additional motor control in account). Besides, just having to regenerate flesh, muscles and bones would be easier for the hydra, too.

Fridge Logic: D&D edition.

SangoProduction
2015-11-30, 04:31 PM
Fridge Logic: D&D edition.

Well that was an amusing Google search.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-11-30, 05:37 PM
Since RAW is basically a case of "I hit you!" "Nuh-uh!" it comes down to DM judgement. I'd certainly say it kills the head, and maybe keep it from regenerating for good measure.

Bad Wolf
2015-11-30, 11:06 PM
Can I ask where the Necropolitan part comes in? Mind Flayers are Aberrations, they can't take that template.

Forrestfire
2015-11-30, 11:54 PM
Can I ask where the Necropolitan part comes in? Mind Flayers are Aberrations, they can't take that template.

One might have taken the Human Heritage feat to become humanoid (human, augmented aberration). After all, true illithids are universally descended from humans :smallamused:

Crake
2015-12-01, 01:18 AM
One might have taken the Human Heritage feat to become humanoid (human, augmented aberration). After all, true illithids are universally descended from humans :smallamused:

They really aren't. They're parasites that assimilate human bodies into their own, that's not even close to being descended from humans.

Inevitability
2015-12-01, 07:13 AM
They really aren't. They're parasites that assimilate human bodies into their own, that's not even close to being descended from humans.

No, there's canon information on them being evolved/mutated/warped, star-faring humans from the future who've travelled to the past to flee the end of their civilization.

It's why they can only successfully take over human bodies; only humans are biologically similar enough to them.

Killer Angel
2015-12-01, 07:15 AM
That's...got to be one of the silliest rulings I've ever seen.

Welcome to RAW. :smalltongue:

Crake
2015-12-01, 10:47 AM
No, there's canon information on them being evolved/mutated/warped, star-faring humans from the future who've travelled to the past to flee the end of their civilization.

It's why they can only successfully take over human bodies; only humans are biologically similar enough to them.

I dunno where you got that information from, but I'm 99% sure they actually CAN take over other races, they just prefer humans, according to lords of madness. I might be misremembering, but I don't think I am. I'd like a reference to the material you're referring to though, I always enjoy reading up lore on races.

Xuldarinar
2015-12-01, 10:57 AM
I dunno where you got that information from, but I'm 99% sure they actually CAN take over other races, they just prefer humans, according to lords of madness. I might be misremembering, but I don't think I am. I'd like a reference to the material you're referring to though, I always enjoy reading up lore on races.

Ceremorphosis functions normally on humans. On other creatures, it creates something else. Sometimes it is a mere template application, the resulting creature being somewhat an analog, but others it is something unique. Humanoid races, as with most creature and without tampering and with few exceptions, result in a half-illithid (template) creature rather than a true mindflayer.

Then of course, if you don't put the tadpole into anything, you get neothelid (which curiously exist in pathfinder..)

Flickerdart
2015-12-01, 11:23 AM
Then of course, if you don't put the tadpole into anything, you get neothelid (which curiously exist in pathfinder..)

This is because neothelids are part of the d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/neothelid.htm).