PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Glitterdust Question

legomaster00156
2015-11-30, 12:26 PM
My group is unsure of whether Glitterdust (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/glitterdust) leaves a cloud of glitter after the spell is cast. Since the duration is "1 round/level" rather than "instantaneous; 1 round/level (see text)", I believe it would leave a cloud in the original 10 ft.-radius area that it originally hit, rather than only affecting those in the area when the spell goes off. On the other hand, the text makes no mention of what happens should one move into the area after the spell is cast.

Kurald Galain
2015-11-30, 12:42 PM
No, it doesn't. The dust immediately sticks to the ground and creatures in the area, and the round-per-level is how long it clings to them.

See also the Lingering Spell feat.

Geddy2112
2015-11-30, 12:45 PM
The wording of the spell states
"A cloud of golden particles covers everyone and everything in the area, causing creatures to become blinded and visibly outlining invisible things for the duration of the spell. All within the area are covered by the dust, which cannot be removed and continues to sparkle until it fades"

So yes, it covers everything in that area in golden particle dust, which lasts for the spell duration. The cloud is instant, but the dust settles and remains stuck to everything for the duration.

Psyren
2015-11-30, 12:53 PM
You can tell it doesn't create a lingering "cloud" because the spell has no "effect" line - rather, the area says "creatures and objects within a 10ft. radius spread." Empty space is neither a creature nor an object, so the dust particles won't linger there to blind anyone new who walks through the area. The duration only refers to creatures affected at your original point of origin.

legomaster00156
2015-11-30, 12:57 PM
Ok, thank you all for the answers. This clears up the matter.

Captain Morgan
2015-12-01, 04:21 PM
That said, if an invisible creature ran through a pile of Glitter dust I think they would at least leave tracks and probably have some get stuck to their feet and legs, which would make them easier to spot.