PDA

View Full Version : Just where on the balance scale does this Mind Flayer homebrew race?

SangoProduction
2015-11-30, 04:28 PM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Mind_Flayers,_MoFS_(3.5e_Race)

It may have a too many stats, and could use "per day" limits on its Mind Blast (perhaps 1 per 2 HD). I'd also allow its grapple to work with any creature that's no more than 1 size category larger than it, as opposed to a specific size. But, those are my likely complaints. What do you think of it?

Flickerdart
2015-11-30, 04:32 PM
Even the base is ridiculously good for +1 LA. 4 tentacle attacks, Improved Grab that works on Huge guys, and really good stat boosts? Sign me right up. Then later on you get +24 to your ability scores, stupid good SR, incredibly powerful SLAs, and at-will SoD and SoL.

I would make this ridiculous thing LA +4, so that at least you couldn't buy off all the LA and get +8 Intelligence for free.

SangoProduction
2015-11-30, 04:33 PM
Even the base is ridiculously good for +1 LA. 4 tentacle attacks, Improved Grab that works on Huge guys, and really good stat boosts? Sign me right up. Then later on you get +24 to your ability scores, stupid good SR, incredibly powerful SLAs, and at-will SoD and SoL.

I would make this ridiculous thing LA +4, so that at least you couldn't buy off all the LA and get +8 Intelligence for free.

Yeah. I was thinking quite the same thing.

Crake
2015-11-30, 08:45 PM
I would just make the scaling only apply to racial HD.

Edit: Also move improved grab to 5HD with extract, and set the base int bonus to +2, not +4

Honestly, the 20HD ability kinda makes me think that's what they had in mind anyway to be honest. 25+class level SR if it was based on overall HD would be at minimum 45 SR at level 20, which is just silly.