PDA

View Full Version : Age of Ruin IC: When all your friends are dead

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Ozzy_G
2007-06-07, 08:23 AM
There is a still, cold silence in the air, broken only by the groans of the wounded.
Two men stare out in shock from a room that has just had one wall collapse. A thin Davethran scholar with yellow eyes, and a fat, balding, Qusan merchant, both shocked at the destruction in front of them.
The main room of the Bronze Cauldron, and the bedrooms above it, have completely collapsed. In the centre of the pile, a red-headed man struggles, trapped by rubble, and near him a tiny woman is standing on top of the pile of brick, beams and bodies, looking rather stunned. Near the edge, by the back room, a pretty young Mokai woman is standing on top of the rubble, pulling a dusty Zhan out of the bits of wood and brick, and his tiny pesudo-dragon.
Several burly men are trapped under beams, groaning. Luckily, they don't seem to be in too much pain, due to their advanced state of drunkenness.
These few appear to be the only survivors, but there could be more people buried under the rubble.

Lycar
2007-06-07, 08:57 AM
Akim was just about to say something when suddenly, one wall decides to rudely interrupt their little chat.

"..... "

For a few moments, he just sits there, trying to make sense of what just happened.

"Uhm. Meeting adjourned i suppose...."

He gets up from his chair, still slightly stunned, taking a look at the situation.

"Oh dear.... that doesn't bode well..."

Then he realizes that there are survivors.

"Can anybody tell me what just happend here ? And someone go get some help, we have to move this rubble, there might still be survivors trapped under it !"

Akim tries to make his way over the rubble, looking for something.

Lycar

Regwon
2007-06-07, 09:48 AM
Krashnix

Krashnix tries to escape from the pile of rubble, but is unable to, there's just too much. Not giving up just yet he calls out for help.

If anyone is still alive i could use some help over here.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-07, 11:10 AM
Livina
For a moment, all the Mokai could do was stare at the black flames blossoming across the tavern, but then instinct jumped in, and she dodged nimbly the falling scraps and pieces of ceiling as the inn began to collapse.

Now, the dust choking in her lungs, she found herself helping Rheban out of the pile. Anything to stop thinking about what must have happened.

"By the lady..." She breathes, as she straightens up once more and surveys the damage. Shaking her head, she steps to and works on removing the rubble above the strange red-haired man that had called himself a priest.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-07, 11:14 AM
Between the two of them, Livina pulling the beams and Krashnix pushing them off, they manage to lever him out of the rubble. His once-beautiful blue robe, with a golden phoenix embroidered on the front, is torn and covered in dust. After a bit more work, they manage to get Krashnix's mace and heavy shield out as well.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-07, 11:28 AM
Leaving him by the wayside for the moment, Livina continues to search deeper, looking for Ismal and Draven.

GryffonDurime
2007-06-07, 11:59 AM
Rhebin

Still caught in utter, terrified surprise, Rhebin stands there, unable to help after Livina's aid.

Master? Are you awake? Master?

"...Come on, Aidan," Rhebin says, finally pulling himself together. He moves swiftly towards the wreckage, the psuedodragon in toe, chanting a quick, curt spell while motioning. As he reaches the remnants, Rhebin suddenly spurts up, growing to twice his height while his tiny psuedodragon suddenly fills out to the size of a fairly large dog. Both now proceed to help Livina extract any survivors, both secretly hoping to see Ismal and Draven...its so hard to make new companions.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-07, 12:17 PM
Rhebin, Livina and Aidan search through the rubble, and are soon joined by the local Qusans from the street. Rhebin, with his wizardly intelligence, remembers where everyone was, and it isn't too hard to pull a number of men from the rubble. Many others however, are quite dead.
After about half an hour of digging, the fat merchant shimmers and fades, revealing underneath the yellow-eyed, black-clothed man who you saw in manacles earlier. He shrugs at Akim, and gives a wry smile.
Searching the area where the explosion happened, over several hours of digging, Rhebin manages to find the corpses of Sumner, Hern, Khorik and Draven. Underneath Draven, they find the body of a beautiful woman, familiar to Livina and Rhebin, but not to Akim, Kizima or Krashnix.
All of the corpses are badly burnt, and crushed by falling masonry. They're quite definitely dead.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-07, 12:23 PM
Livina
Livina bites her lip and droops her head as she sits back.
Damn it. I was just starting to like them a little. The Mokai offers a silent prayer to the Lady.
Wherever you two are, I hope you're together. She averts her gaze for a moment, and then turns to Rhebin, hopelessness in her face.
"What now? They're dead. All of them. How are we supposed to find Orin now?"

Brickwall
2007-06-07, 12:32 PM
Kizima

Orin...I guess he figured out the potion well enough. This confirms it.

During the recovery, Kizima does her best to help with moving the rubble. Afterwards, she faces the yellow-eyed man.

"Orin, I see you're still well. I don't suppose you have any idea what just happened?"

GryffonDurime
2007-06-07, 12:34 PM
Rhebin

"Damned Gar'zeth...I don't know, Livina," Rhebin says, speaking her name for the first time, "this whole calamity has been one loss after another--the Aelf, Gar'zeth, Malus..." he drifts off, voice stammering a bit as he looks to the corpses of Ismal and Draven where Aidan stands, moving as if in prayer for both.

He was a child of the dragons. It seems only appropriate that I...and she...and...

"We understand, Aidan," Rhebin manages to eek out. "So I don't know."

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-07, 12:38 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Flexing a leg, Livina kicks at a piece of rubble with the toe of her doeskin boots, looking angry.
"To hell with the archmage. I'm done running his errands, People with doubles, people exploding people wi- wait." She blinks rapidly and then passes a hand through her now gritty black hair, held back with a green ribbon. "I think we just missed something." She swivels and looks over at the midget woman and the yellow-eyed pair. "Did she just call that man Orin?"

Brickwall
2007-06-07, 12:41 PM
Kizima

"Not too many other suspicious-looking young men with yellow eyes around here, my friend. I'd be surprised if it were someone else."

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-07, 12:54 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Looking at Kizima in confusion, Livina chooses her words carefully. "Well...I see two suspicious-looking people with yellow eyes right now..." She shakes her head. "but I guess that can wait," she says, looking around at the wreckage. "We'd better see if we can at least free the other patrons..."

GryffonDurime
2007-06-07, 01:02 PM
Rhebin

"...More dead men, then, Livina? Fine..." Rhebin says, helping to sift through the last bits of the remnants.

Any within sixty feet of Aidan would clearly hear a sad, rasping voice in their heads, reciting some barely audible chant.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-07, 02:40 PM
The yellow-eyed, black-robed man looks with anger at Kizima. I am well, no thanks to you and your friends who kidnapped me and made me come across the ocean with you. He gestures at the red-haired man, Krashnix. Luckily, people on this side of the Bitter Sea are evidently kinder, and free you rather than kidnapping you.
He looks Livina up and down. You said you were looking for me. Why? Are you here to kidnap me as well?
He turns his head slightly to Akim. I know you said I ought to keep my identity secret, but this midget woman knows who I am, so there isn't much point.

By this time, the Qusans have taken the few survivors away.
Searching diligently, Kizima manages to find Kaleff's body, burnt to a crisp.
However, Akim is unable to find Gareth's body under the rubble.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-07, 02:48 PM
Livina Lightfoot
"Weeelll..." she clasps her hands behind her back and toes the rubble. "Yeah, kinda. I mean, we were supposed to tell you that Govan in Ralm wants you to become the Magus Sillwater. If you came back, I was gonna get paid a lot of gold. I don't suppose you want to be the Magus?" She asks, half hopefully.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-07, 02:55 PM
He raises an eyebrow. And why exactly does he want me to do that?

GryffonDurime
2007-06-07, 03:03 PM
Rhebin

"Hmph. Don't be so cold, Livina," Rhebin says, now returned to his normal size as he kneels beside Aidan, the psuedodragon still watching over Draven's corpse, and Ismal's.

"This...oh, this has just been a long line of misfortunes. And oddity. What happened here? That man exploded...and that man was another man too. And now, honorable people are dead and the damn wizard's run off to who knows where and this is not a time to be concerned with that old mission. That job," he says, pointing to Draven and Ismal, "is over. I don't want anything to do with it."

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-07, 03:04 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina adopts a "Well, what can you do?" expression
"Some sort of ritual, I dunno. Govan's man said it wouldn't hurt you, whatever it is. Anyways, think about it; I'd be really really happy in you want to go back, but I guess i'd understand if you didn't. I won't try and make you." It's an incongruous statement, given that the Mokai woman in front of you is completely unarmed and unarmored. With that, she begins sifting through the rubble, trying to free any other survivors amidst the onwatchers.

She pauses as Rhebin makes his remark. "Hey, I'm sorry they're dead too! I was kinda getting to like them; I'm just saying, six thousand gold is six thousand gold!" A thought seems to strike her "Oh yeah...Gar'zeth's gone. That'd be one hell of a walk. Blow that, then."

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-07, 03:43 PM
Livina Lightfoot
As the Qusans leave, Livina turns to Rhebin. "So...you know dragons, right? Is there something we should do, now they're dead? A song, a prayer, or something?"

GryffonDurime
2007-06-07, 03:55 PM
Rhebin

"I don't know dragons," Rhebin says. "He does," and motions to Aidan, who has finally concluded his strange vigil. Rhebin turns and appraises the other survivors while drawing out a silver flute from his satchel.

"What now?" he asks, then plays a few clear, loud notes and stands, waiting.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-07, 04:01 PM
Livina
The Mokai woman looks from side to side. She seems to be wrestling with some internal debate. Finally, she speaks.
"Um, if we're going to bury them and all...they don't need to take their stuff with them, do they? I mean, we could probably sell some of it to pay for the burial." She smiles as she warms to the topic. "Maybe even pay for a good memorial stone? Yeah. I think we owe them a decent burial."
Satisfied with her reasoning, Livina steps towards the corpses and begins searching them for valuables, magical equipment, etc.

Brickwall
2007-06-07, 04:12 PM
Kizima

Kaleff...are you coming back? Is anyone coming back? Hern? I'd even settle for Cafoas at this point. Is everyone really gone this time?

Kizima ignores Orin completely, seemingly lost in thought.

Okay, they want valuables. I suppose that's justifiable. As much as I like my friends, they deserve a decent memorial. And I could use some help to finish what they started. Okay, Kaleff had that ring that turned aside Evil Hern's blows, kind of like that dragon had some forcefield (must be similar), and Hern had a really big, decorative sword that someone said was magical. The sword can probably pay for everyone's memorial, and I think the ring should go towards continuing the betterment of the world, just as Kaleff would have wanted it. Which means I'll hold onto it until I can find a better recipient.

Kizima searches Kaleff's fingers for the ring, then goes to where Hern was found to see if she can locate his greatsword.

Thought I heard something about 6000 gold...wonder if I could get in on that.

GryffonDurime
2007-06-07, 04:18 PM
Rhebin

Rhebin "supervises" Livina as best he can, trying to make sure that each item taken into her custody doesn't disappear...less a question of trust, he told himself, and more a question of his own wretched nervousness and ruthlessly mercenary past.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-07, 04:27 PM
Orin sighs. Look, I didn't get on with most of these people... I think it's best if I leave now. I'm sorry, but I won't be going to Govan. As you say, without a wizard it's a long way. And I don't really want to be sacrificed to summon an army of demons.

Kizima searches Kaleff's body, and finds two rings. One is the ring that deflected blows, the other the one that Kaleff never worked out the purpose of, though he was sure it was magical. He just never got around to identifying it. Around his neck is a talisman, the holy symbol of Imshaeroth that he got from Ruchion's corpse before. On his arms are magical bracers, and at his belt is a pouch with magical components on. His backpack can't be found, it's probably under the rubble.
She next goes on to Hern. He's wearing his spiked plate, which will be very difficult to get off, and holding loosely the great blade he got from the vault in Mokar. It's hilt is engraved with angelic wings.
Around his neck is an amulet of some sort, and on his belt are tied four bottles, all of which have been smashed by falling masonry.

Meanwhile, Livina (watched by Rhebin) searches the bodies of Draven and Ismal. She finds Draven's mighty mace on his belt, the one that sparks when bashed against things, and of course the mithral full plate that his corpse is still wearing. On his hands are gloves inscribed with runes, and on his back is a beautiful cape, but it's torn and shredded.
Ismal wears a beautiful vest under her clothes, covered in magical sigils, and has a set of matching silver jewellery, necklace, earrings, and finger rings. She also has a pouch of spell components on her belt, and a finely-wrought dagger of cold iron.

This leaves the corpses of Sumner and Khorik still unsearched.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-07, 04:35 PM
Livina
Gathering together the vest and Jewelry, Livina sighs as she turns away from the remains of Ismal. "You could be pretty creepy sometimes, but I'm sorry you're dead." Working through the remains of Draven, Livina removes the gloves and then also takes the mace.
"I'm sorry you're dead, too. Bull-headed as you were, you were brave and gorgeous."

After a moment's silence, Livina moves on with some curiosity to the bodies of the men called Khorik and Sumner, looking for valuables.

GryffonDurime
2007-06-07, 05:14 PM
Rhebin

Unwilling to deal with the corpses of those for whom he has no relation, Rhebin kneels beside Ismal, perplexed. He ticks off Livina's discoveries on his fingers--especially easy for a zahn, possessed as he is of twelve fine fingers.

Vest, jewelry, components, rings, dagger...but shouldn't there be a spellbook? Unless of course she was gifted by a talent like the Voice, innate power...perplexing.

Lycar
2007-06-07, 06:17 PM
After a moment's silence, Livina moves on with some curiosity to the bodies of the men called Khorik and Sumner, looking for valuables.

Akim watches scowling as the small woman loots the corpses of her earstwhile companions. As she turns her attention to his former companions however, he steps up and holds his hand in front of her, standing firm.

"No. Let them be. They didn't survive their track back out of the ash desert just to be picked clean by some featherless vulture."

"They were imperial nobles and they deserve better then that. Do not touch them or i will have to summon the town guard to have you arrested."

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-07, 06:25 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Stopping, the Mokai lady turns her head to one side as she regards the man in the scholar's robes.
"Oh. You knew them? Sorry..." She dusts off her hands. "They're yours, then." Backing away from the adept, she returns to Rhebin. "I guess...we find an undertaker now? Someone ought to stay with them..."

GryffonDurime
2007-06-07, 06:29 PM
Rhebin

Rhebin packs the flute away, satisfied at some distant sound or sight that's caught his attention.

"Yes...that would be the proper thing to do," he says, having Aidan add a small addendum: I do not trust them.

"So, then, I will wait here with them while you find an undertaker.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-07, 06:32 PM
Livina
Livina nods, and looks around at the wreckage one more time. She hesitates.
"Hey, Rhebin? Thanks for not being dead." She flashes a brief smile, and then trots out of the remnants of the inn, looking for the discreet black signs that, at least in the Mokai kingdoms, marked one of the undertakers.

GryffonDurime
2007-06-07, 06:55 PM
Rhebin

"Why Livina," he whispers as she reaches the edge of his vision, "what a sweet-talker you are. I'm glad your not dead either."

Rhebin turns, waiting. Despite his best attempts to restrain his gaze, it eventually wanders and finds its way to the others, crossing over Ismal and Draven's corpses.

"Are...are...do you need any help?" he finally stammers out to any of the other nearby survivors.

Brickwall
2007-06-07, 08:09 PM
Kizima

Kizima inspects the rings and amulets, and decides to leave Kaleff the holy symbol. She takes Hern's amulet, the two rings, and the bracers, though. As she lifts the greatsword, she pauses and lays it down back on Hern.

Maybe he should just be buried with it. It's too heavy to carry around besides. Now where is Sumner? He was here too.

Noticing that someone is guarding him, Kizima turns her attention back to her fallen comrades. She begins positioning their bodies in dignified poses, fit for burial. She puts Hern's sword in his hands, laving it vertically down his body. Kaleff...she positions in a manner that should fit in a casket.

After that, she puts on the ring she can identify, and puts the rest away in her backpack. Who knows what those do?

"See if you can make your way back, you two. I know it's been done, Kizima whispers silently to the two corpses. She then turns to watch the threshhold for signs of the undertaker.

Regwon
2007-06-08, 03:48 AM
Krashnix

After getting free from the rubble Krashnix thanks the woman who helped him then surveys the scene of devistation around him. After a short time ,with regret in his voice he speaks.

This is most unfortunate. They seemed to be good people. I pray that their souls find Imshaeroths embrace quickly. We should build a funeral pyre for them, then scatter their ashes to the winds.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-08, 08:10 AM
Livina looks around, but can't see any undertaker's signs, nor those of the Priests of Veldaera, who perform funerals.
However, at this point a detachment of guards marches around the corner, led by a couple of middle-aged, robed men, covered in mystic symbols and carrying staffs.
They look at the destruction of the inn, shocked. By Gothul's festering foreskin, swears one, what in Goramesh happened here?

Brickwall
2007-06-08, 09:07 AM
Kizima

"Somehow I think you will have trouble convincing me to burn what little is left of their bodies. I know already that it is no common rite for the dead. Burying them will be easy enough."

Isn't that guy a priest of Isana, according to Evil Hern? Fire goddess of some sort? I think he's trying to curry favor with her, or something.

Regwon
2007-06-08, 10:08 AM
Krashnix

With a surprised look in his eye Krashnix turns to Kizima

Better to burn then and truely put their to spirits rest than bury and have them come back to haunt us. That was an unholy blast that killed them, so theres no telling what its effects might be. I understand your sentiments, these were your friends and your pain at their loss must be great, but think how much more terrible it would be for them to be raised as undead, forcing you to kill them all over again. Is that a risk you would be willing to take?

Krashnix pauses in thought for a moment, closing his eyes and thinking deeply.

Parhaps you would like them brourght back to life? I am not powerful enough to accomplish such a feat, at the temple of Isana a days ride from here it may be achievable. However, we are not priests of Imshaeroth so there is no guarentee, and such a service would not come freely. The costs for rasing back to life, especially of so many, is substantial, but if you have the will, and the gold it would be worth a try. What do you think?

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-08, 10:14 AM
Livina
Seeing the guards, Livina makes a snap decision
If I just keep on going, I certainly get to keep their stuff, but then the task of explaining stuff is left to...Orin and the shady guy, the midget lady, and Rhebin. Hm.
Livina steps forward.
"Um," she says, lifting a hand. "There was a fight, and then a Bazalite blew himself up, bringing down the roof. He...killed a bunch of my friends."

Livina looks for a passerby to ask about an undertaker.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-08, 10:14 AM
Hey, you! The wizard is pointing at those of you still atop the rubble. What's going on here!

Brickwall
2007-06-08, 10:33 AM
Kizima

Why nothing, sir, just your average, everyday, friendly tavern game.

"Some psycho used unholy magic to explode himself and destroyed this place, plus a bunch of the people inside."

Having to fight my friends. Sounds familiar. Still, I do wonder if I'd be able to raise money to have them brought back. If there were a few nice houses in the area...

Ozzy_G
2007-06-08, 10:37 AM
The wizards order their soldiers to help move the rubble, and get people out. They gesture for Kizima, Rhebin, Akim and Krashnix to come down and talk to them. Livina of course is off to look for an undertaker, and Orin seems to have made good on his promise and left, though none of you saw him leave...
So, what details can you tell me? This man who exploded, what did he look like? Did he give any reason?asks the wizard who hasn't spoken yet.

Meanwhile, Livina is directed to a small shop full of coffins. Yes, miss, can I help you? asks the man at the counter.

Regwon
2007-06-08, 10:42 AM
Krashnix

Krashnix look at the wizard, his eyes cold and his tome sombre

As the woman said. There was a fight and the defeated man, a worshiper of Bazal, used his foul power to explode himself, and the tavern, when he found out he couldnt defeat the men he attacked. The man was old and had white hair. He called himself Hern, the 'Demon Knight' and claimed that he was not from this time. He wore armour that was black and covered in vile symbols of Bazal

Ozzy_G
2007-06-08, 11:18 AM
The wizard frowns. Bazal you say.
Ravan Zere worships Bazal, hisses the other wizard. Could he have been a spy? Or maybe he's trying to scare us off by killing our civilians.

Brickwall
2007-06-08, 11:24 AM
Kizima

"He also came from some alternate version of our world, and served the emporer there. And he was here to make this world mroe like his, or something. It's hard to interpret the ramblings of psychotic killers."

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-08, 11:33 AM
Livina
It's only as Livina steps across the threshhold and sees the stacked and mounted coffins that it hits her. She closes her eyes and leans for a moment against the wall. Gathering her wits about her once more, she straightens up and replies.
"Yes...Some friends of mine have been killed, and I want to arrange a memorial for them. Can you do that?"

Ozzy_G
2007-06-08, 11:51 AM
You have our deepest condolences, miss. To be honest, it doesn't sound like it, the man probably says this a hundred times a day. Have you arranged with a priest of some sort for a funeral?

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-08, 11:59 AM
Livina
Livina shakes her head. "No. I don't think they'd want a service from any priests around here. Their homes are on the other side of Ravan's lands; I think just the memorial. A statue and a stone, perhaps. Is there a mortician who can do..." She waves a hand. "Embalming, dressing, all that stuff?"

Ozzy_G
2007-06-08, 12:03 PM
Indeed, we can make a very nice set of gravestones. As to the mortician, there is one near the Wizard's Guild.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-08, 12:19 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina nods. "I guess...we'll want at least three, and one double stone. I'll be back later." Stepping out of the door, Livina pauses in the street, watching people come and go for a few moments. With a shake of her head, she forces herself to smile. She was still alive, wasn't she? Besides, there'd be plenty of prospects in a city like this. Maybe she'd even make good on returning that locket. Setting off at a breathtaking pace, Livina runs towards the spires of the Wizard's Guild, revelling in the sensation of being alive and free.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-08, 12:32 PM
Livina runs through the twisting streets towards the wizard's guild. She takes a short-cut through an alley way.
Smash! Something heavy bashes the back of her head.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-08, 12:37 PM
Livina
Reeling from the blow, Livina turns the forward impact into a turn, pivoting on one foot.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-08, 12:45 PM
Livina spins around, only to meet another blow to the temple, knocking her unconscious on the floor.

GryffonDurime
2007-06-08, 12:50 PM
Rhebin

Rhebin approaches slowly, Aidan roosting on his head once more.

Don't spies usually need to live to relay their information, the psuedodragon offers to the wizards and all those gathered telepathically.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-08, 01:14 PM
True, nods the wizard. It's more likely to be a terror tactic. Anyway, we'd like you to come to the Guild and answer some questions, please.

GryffonDurime
2007-06-08, 01:33 PM
Rhebin

"With apologies," Rhebin says, gesturing politely towards Draven and Ismal, "I can not leave my friends until we have arranged for their proper burial. My friend Livina has gone to fetch an undertaker. After she has returned, I would be happy to answer any questions for the Guild."

Brickwall
2007-06-08, 01:34 PM
Kizima

For the millionth time in the past week.

Kizima wordlessly begins descending from the rubble, but takes one last glance at the bodies.

"I'm assuming these will remain undisturbed, for the most part?"

Ozzy_G
2007-06-08, 04:14 PM
The wizards nod. We understand. How long do you think she'll be?

Brickwall
2007-06-08, 04:21 PM
Kizima

Guess we're waiting here then. Bori-wait a sec. Evil Hern was talking about all those titles. Orin mentioned earlier that he remembered them.

Ish'ti ka'nem.

"Y'know, I think there may have been a spy from somewhere. Name's Orin, has yellow eyes, last seen wearing black robes. He uses disguise illusions, though."

Ozzy_G
2007-06-08, 04:26 PM
A spy? Hmmm... the older wizard strokes his long beard. Perhaps we ought to send a message back about this.
The other wizard nods. I'll tell the Guildmaster immediately. A man called Orin, yellow eyes, black robes, uses illusions. Was he Davethran then? Any other details for me to tell the Guildmaster? What makes you think he might have been a spy, was he with the devotee of Bazal?

GryffonDurime
2007-06-08, 04:32 PM
Rhebin

"It can't take that long to find an undertaker," Rhebin wonders aloud, then turns to the wizards, "Can it? I don't know this city...hope Livina's not lost."

Lycar
2007-06-08, 05:16 PM
Akim keeps a quiet vigil about the bodies of his fallen companions, but when Kizima and the guild mage talk, he gestures to the cleric to come closer.

"May i have a word with you for a moment ? You said it is your peoples custom to cremate your dead. Well, these men were davethran nobles. As a fellow noble it would be my solemn duty to see that they get a proper burial. Alas, i am afraid it will be much easier for me to bring their ashes and personal effect back to their families in an urn then in a coffin."

Akim hopes that Krashnix gets a bit closer before continuing in a low voice "You also mentioned the possibility of some powerful priests to bring them back to life ? I must confess, i am nearly strapped of all my gold, yet, as a davethran noble i.. do posess a magic ring that may be accepted as payment maybe ? Oh excuse my manners, allow me to introduce myself. I am Akim Kar'zad, of clan Kar'zad. These men are.. were Khorik Nulliop and Sumner Kesh, former knights in the imperial army."

Akim sighs before continuing "Truth be told, i would be rather grateful if there was a way to bring them back. These are troubled times we are living in and even though i only had the pleasure of their company for a short time, i came to know them as honourable people. The kind of people who could make a true difference for the better for this world. So if you see any way to give them a chance to continue their struggle for the good of this stricken world, i will do whatever is within my power to help them. So please, tell me, is there something, anything i can do ?"

Lycar

Brickwall
2007-06-08, 05:30 PM
Kizima

"I think he is a spy because he is deceitful, untrustworthy, and skilled at being both. Besides that, I know he is from that other world, and that he has some Davethran blood."

Regwon
2007-06-09, 04:17 AM
Krashnix

When Akim gestures to him he walk over.

I will not lie to you. The cost of raising people from the dead is huge. You may be able to negotiate a reduction for the cost of the service but the materials required alone will cost thousands of gold. However, you say you have a ring that you would sell, and i have seen the small woman and the Mokai woman picking items off the bodies of your friends. You may be able to accumulate enough gold from the sale of those items to afford the materials or you may be able to trade them with the priests at my temple. I will vouch for the character of these men to help you get a reduction in price. if you do wish them raised we should hurry to the temple. There is a limit on how much time can pass before they can be raised, although it may be extended, and if it turns out you still do not have enough finances then you will need to earn more. You should decide quickly what you will do.

Lycar
2007-06-09, 05:11 AM
Akim nods "Thank you, you are giving me hope again. Yes, i shall see to it that their bodies will be transportet to the temple you mentioned. A cart and horse should do. As for the money, as i said i am willing to sell my ring. If any of the two feel like reimbursing me later i won't mind, but i will not steal from their corpses."

Akim turns to the assembled people.

"Excuse me, did anyone think of summoning a cart or something to move the bodies of the dead someplace more dignified already ?"

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2007-06-09, 06:53 AM
The wizards nod at Kizima's words, and look up at the obviously Davethran Akim.
Indeed...

When Akim calls down to them, the younger of the two sends a soldier to get a cart.
He suddenly startles. Oh! I got a message. A butcher saw a man who matches this Orin's description walk into an alley about 5 minutes walk from here. And the baker whose stall faces the other side didn't come out. We better go and have a look. Would you people mind coming with us? It's unlikely he's still there, he probably left invisible, but if he is we'll need you to confirm it's the right man.

Brickwall
2007-06-09, 12:24 PM
Kizima

Another chance to get this bastard under lock and key? How can I refuse?

"Alright, sure." Kizima finishes hopping down from the rubble and follows the enforcers.

Lycar
2007-06-09, 07:31 PM
Akim answers the mage "But of course."

Turning to Krashnix again he asks "May i ask yet another favour of you ? Will you stand vigil over the bodies of these two and ensure they are prepared for transport to that temple you mentioned ?"

Lycar

Regwon
2007-06-10, 02:01 PM
Krashnix

To Akim

I had assumed that one of these wizards and their soldiers will look after the bodies. I'm comming with you to see if we can find Orin, it was me that broke his manacles after all and if he represents a threat to Qusa i would like to deal with it personally. Krashnix turns to the nearest wizard Im sure the bodies will be taken care of, wont they?

Lycar
2007-06-10, 04:46 PM
"I suppose" answers Akim with a worried look "As long as they don't do anything that would interfere with a possible resurrection...."

"Very well then, lead the way."

Akim follows Krashnix and the mages.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2007-06-10, 05:49 PM
The older wizard stays with the guards to direct their rescue efforts (which have so far borne no fruit) while the younger leads Kizima, Akim and Krashnix through the streets. After walking for about 5 minutes, you near a butcher. Here we are. He points to an alley on the opposite side of the street to the butchers. You walk up it and find the normal alley paraphernalia: a smelly dog, back doors to buildings, human waste that's been dumped, moulding boxes, and so on.
Right, says the wizard, this is where he disappeared. He probably just became invisible, but it's worth looking for clues just in case.

Lycar
2007-06-10, 06:34 PM
Akim, davethran scholar in expensive robes

Akim makes a face at the stench coming from the alley.

"Ugh. This is nothing someone of noble standing ough to have anything to do with. But i suppose i can lend a hand."

After rummaging around in his component pouch for a moment, Akim concentrates and voices a simple incantation.

"There. No need to actually touch this disgusting stuff to see what's under it...."

Akim gestures and after a few seconds, an invisible force starts to move around some of the refuse, to see if anything is hidden behind or under it.

Lycar

Brickwall
2007-06-11, 03:02 AM
Kizima

"Why of course! Having rich parents absolutely qualifies one as being above using their best capabilities to find an enemy of the world, simply because the evidence is smelly," Kizima says in a most sickeningly sweet sarcastic tone.

"Now move your little spell aside, and let somebody competent do the searching." Kizima shifts to an angry tone as she marches forward and begins going through the refuse herself.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-11, 07:06 AM
With both the Unseen Servant and Kizima searching, you discover marks on the ground as if something had been dragged from the middle of the road to a cellar door at the side of the alley.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-11, 07:36 AM
Suddenly, you hear a woman's scream from behind the door, and a muffled shout.

Brickwall
2007-06-11, 08:28 AM
Kizima

Oh fun...

Kizima leaps quickly, pulling at the door (and pushing if that seems to not work) with all her might, right hand at the rapier on her side.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-11, 08:43 AM
Kizima charges in to the room, to find Livina, naked and hanging, tied-up from the ceiling and screaming her lungs out. The room is obviously a cellar of some sort, wine bottles sit in crates. There is door on the other side of the room, closed.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-11, 09:17 AM
Livina
The Mokai woman looks far worse for wear; her now grimy brown hair hangs down like sludgy curtains, and rivulets of sticky red-black blood can be seen flowing down her left leg, around the cruelly-tight ropes.
Almost hysterically, she cries out
"He's still here! He's invisible!"

Brickwall
2007-06-11, 11:46 AM
Kizima

What is she, bait or something? He's crazier than I thought.

"What do you hope to accomplish from this, Stillwater? Kizima cries out to the air, "Are you trying to prove something? Are you trying to lure us all into a trap? Do you seriously think that you can get rid of all of us? Even one? If you had stayed and been cooperative, you could have been home by now. Those wizards could have sent you there when they were done with you. But now, you've already cast yourself into far worse punishment. If you push it, you know it will only end in your horrible, utterly painful death." Kizima says this from the doorway, with one foot carefully placed back across the threshhold.

Lycar
2007-06-11, 12:30 PM
Akim quirks an eyebrow, alarmed.

"What's with all that yelling, what is going on ? Someone invisible ? Well, someone cast Detect Magic already then."

Akim looks between the accomanying mages expectantly.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2007-06-11, 01:18 PM
The wizard nods. I'll find you, Stillwater. He starts to cast a spell.
And then stops. As he has a knife sticking out of his throat. He falls gurgling on the ground, the knife slipping out of his throat with a wet sound. A tall, stocky, and horribly scarred Qusan man stands over him.

Brickwall
2007-06-11, 01:22 PM
Kizima

It never ends. It just never ends.

Impatiently, Kizima flicks a feather from her belt and tosses it at the newcomer. It transforms into a leather whip and begins lashing at the attacker.

That was my last one...I am making these people find me a magic shop when we're done here.

That done, she turns her attention back to the empty room, rapier held in front of her. She listens intently for any sign of invisible attackers.

Lycar
2007-06-11, 02:35 PM
Akim looks shocked as the mage slumps to the ground, slain.

(... that could have been me ...)

"Er... did i mention that i am a scholar and by no means a combatant ?" he asks while digging in his spell pouch for .. ah, there it is. Akim gestures and quickly chants a few arcane syllabies.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2007-06-11, 02:44 PM
The whip slashes across the man's forehead, and then wraps around him, holding him on the ground. He struggles, but doesn't seem to be able to escape... for now.

Kizima listens intently, but cannot hear footsteps or anything like that. Considering the man yelling on the ground, it wouldn't be easy to hear something like that.

Brickwall
2007-06-11, 03:25 PM
Kizima

"Okay, Mr. Scholar, why don't you find our erstwhile depraved otherwordly spy, since he doesn't seem to be responding well to diplomacy of any sort."

Ozzy_G
2007-06-11, 04:06 PM
Livina starts to wriggle, and try and loosen her bonds. It isn't too hard for someone as lithe as her, but it'll take a while.

Lycar
2007-06-11, 05:46 PM
(Hrm.... okay, i know that doing anything hostile while under the effect of invisibility breaks the feeble strands of illusory magic. I wonder if casting Detect Magic to find someone who doesn't want to be found counts as acting hostile towards them. Oh well, live and learn..)

Some quick chanting comes from some place in the room.

Lycar

Regwon
2007-06-11, 05:48 PM
Krashnix

Krashnix is shocked by what he sees in the room in front of him, and even more surprised when the wizard meets his untimely end. Shock quickly turns to anger however as he prays to Isana

Orlagar tirmynfiirdor Arcron Elos Dar

Orin what can you hope to accomplish with this? You cannot hope to escape unscathed. Even if you do you just killed a Guild wizard. The whole of Qusa will be on your tail.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-13, 11:40 AM
Wriggling madly, the man on the ground manages to slip out of the whip's embrace, and run towards the door... and Kizima who's standing with one leg in the doorway.
The two guards outside in the alley are shouting Sir? What's going on? They run up behind Kizima, and seeing the scarred man running for them draw their weapons.

Brickwall
2007-06-13, 11:54 AM
Kizima

"Dammit!" Kizima yells at she tries to stop the man and misses. "After him! He murdered that wizard! There's a kidnapper inside!"

Ozzy_G
2007-06-13, 07:58 PM
The two burly Qusans swing their short swords at the running man, but he's going too fast, and they only do flesh wounds. He pelts down the alley.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-14, 08:38 AM
Kizima steps back out of the door, and in one swift move, throws her rapier to her left hand, draws her mace and lobs it. It bashes off the man's shoulder, eliciting a yelp of pain, but he keeps going. The whip flies out of the room and after him, but he ducks its lashing coils.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-14, 12:45 PM
Livina
Naked, upside-down and bleeding, Livina squeezes her eyes shut against the tears as everyone leaves the dank cellar where she is bound. Unaware of Akim's prescence, she can only struggle to retain consciousness as the blood continues to rush to her head. Everyone else seems to abandon her to pursue the man with the knife.

GryffonDurime
2007-06-14, 01:24 PM
Rhebin

"Livina...honestly. What could be taking so long?...I really do need to learn how to scry one of these days," Rhebin says, twiddling his thumbs beside the corpses of Ismal and Draven.

"As always, it falls to me then," Aidan claims, jumping from his master's head and standing before him, expectantly. Rhebin waves his hand across the Psuedodragon, incanting a few swift spells. At the conclusion, the tiny dragon disappears from sight.

Aidan's been Hasted for 9 rounds, Invisibilatied for 9 minutes, and, because Rhebin is a total paranoid freako, Protection from Arrows for 9 hours.

He's looking for Livina, flying over as best he can at 90 feet per round for 9 rounds, then 60 afterwards. Checks, as I'm not sure what's needed

Spot: [roll0]
Search: [roll1]
Survival (to follow any tracks there may be, because apparently Psuedodragons are passing fair at it): [roll2]

Ozzy_G
2007-06-15, 06:37 AM
Stepping out of the door, Krashnix shouts some incomprehensible words, and the running man jerks and stops. The two guards pelt after him, and one stabs him in the back. The other's blow scrapes off some sort of invisible force.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-19, 05:43 AM
The whip hurtles after the scarred man, and wraps itself around him.

Back by the ruins of the tavern, the old wizard wonders up to Rhebin.
I hope I'm not being rude, but I was just wandering where you acquired that fascinating creature, he says pointing to Aiden.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-20, 04:08 PM
Seeing that the man is frozen, the guards drop their swords and whip out their coshes. They smash the scarred man on the back of the head, and he collapses unconscious on the ground.

Akim continues to concentrate on the room, but sees no magical auras that could be coming from a person. Looking around, he sees a box, with auras coming from inside it.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-20, 04:13 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Finally, Livina can retain consciousness no longer, and her vision darkens to black.

Lycar
2007-06-21, 12:37 AM
Scanning for potential hostile magic auras and finding none, Akim breathes a sigh of relief.

Noticing that the tied-up woman lost consciousnes, he frowns and ponders a few moments. Then, with a shrug he goes about to search the body of the fallen mage for a potion of healing or anything sharp to cut her from the ropes binding her.

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2007-06-21, 07:55 AM
The mage carries, besides his robe, an indecipherable book, a pouch of odd nick-nacks, probably spell components, and a dagger.

Regwon
2007-06-21, 08:35 AM
Krashnix

Krashnix walk over to the upsidedown and unconsious Livina, draws his dagger and cuts her down, easing her to the floor. Once she is safely down he mutters some more incomprehensible words and touches her on the forehead. Immediately she stops bleeding and her wounds start to heal slowly.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-21, 12:57 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina's groans, and then her brown eyes open. She blinks a few times in confusion, apparently puzzled as to why there is a red-haired man leaning over her, but then she winces as recent events catch up. With a slight whimper, she turns onto her side on the dirty stone floor and curls up into a fetal position, wrapping her arms around herself.
"Th-thanks," she says, indistinctly. "Can you...find me some clothes, please?"

Ozzy_G
2007-06-21, 01:12 PM
The dead wizard is wearing some nice robes, but they'd be rather big for Livina. There is a box at the side of the cellar, and a few crates of wine bottles.

Lycar
2007-06-21, 05:05 PM
The still invisible Akim picks up the late mages dagger, but upon realizung that the woman is already being helped out of her bonds by the knight named Krashnix, he just holds on to it for the time being.

He marvels at Krashnix healing Lavinia.

"You can heal ? Then you are truly touched by the powers of the gods ! It is a rare gift indeed in these times."

Adressing the now conscious Lavinia he adds "I believe you will find your posession in that chest over there. At least it does radiate magic."

"Does any of you need assistance ? Else i would rather see if they managed to capture the assailant."

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-21, 06:17 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina makes no move to get up, but continues to hug her own knees.
"Could...Could someone get them for me, please?"
Livina says, still in a very small voice.

Regwon
2007-06-22, 04:25 AM
Krashnix

Yes of course

Krashnix walks over to the chest Akim indicated, removes all the items of clothing and equipment he finds, takes it back over to Livina and places them over her.

Then looking up at Akim

My powers are nothing special for those that believe. Faith in Isana allows me to do wonderous things. Despite what you may have heard, we do not solely burn things.

Lycar
2007-06-22, 04:37 AM
"It would appear you have everything under control here."

Sill invisible and maintaining concentration on the Detect Magic, Akim leaves the cellar to take a little look-see at the situation outside.

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-22, 06:33 AM
Livina Lightfoot
As if in a trance, Livina draws herself into a sitting position and begins donning a dull green shirt and tan breeches, pulling the cloth quickly over her smooth brown skin. Almost automatically, she clasps two small brass bracers around her wrists and draws up her knees once more, now examining her feet. rubbing away some of the dried blood, Livina stares at the now-healed patch of skin where once there was a toe for a moment, and then slowly draws on her tall doeskin boots. After gathering up the rest of her gear and hoisting her pack, Livina slowly draws herself to her feet and wobbles a little as she tries to get the measure of her own balance now.

Finally, she lifts her head, meeting Krashnix's gaze for only a brief moment.
"You were in the Cauldron, right?" she says, quietly, and droops her head. "Thank you. I..." she rolls her shoulders and pulls back her now grimy hair into a ponytail, tying it with a blue ribbon. She hesitates, "Thank you. I'm ready to leave, now."

Ozzy_G
2007-06-22, 07:24 AM
One of the guards is tying up the unconscious scarred man, who is also entwined by Kizima's whip. The other walks back towards the door into the room Krashnix and Livina are in. Akim dodges out of his way as he walks in.
Syra's scrotum! he swears, looking in horror at his former boss, quite dead on the floor.
Looking around outside, Akim sees the vague forms of magic at the end of the alley. Focusing, he sees that the magic is emanating from the unconscious man, and that it is illusory in nature.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-22, 07:28 AM
Livina
Looking a little skittish, Livina peers at the guards. "I'm sorry he's dead...but did you catch him?"

Ozzy_G
2007-06-22, 07:53 AM
Yeah, nods the guard, my mate's tying him up right now. He walks over to the wizard, and carefully arranges him in a more dignified position.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-22, 07:59 AM
Livina
Something seems to be weighing on her mind.
"What's the penalty in Qusa for killing a wizard, kidnapping someone, beating them unconscious and torturing them?"

Ozzy_G
2007-06-22, 08:41 AM
He looks at you shocked. He tortured you? That's awful! Do you want me to take you to see a Mokai priest?

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-22, 09:49 AM
Livina
Livina hunches her shoulders and shakes her head.
"I'll be all right..." She looks at Krashnix with almost a smile on her face "I just... need to get out of this cellar." Still favoring her right foot noticeably, Livina stumbles up the steps and out into the alley.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-22, 10:57 AM
The guard follows Livina out. Well don't worry miss, we'll make sure this sick bastard gets what he deserves.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-22, 11:23 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Breathing deeply the fetid cocktail of scents in the alleyway, the young Mokai nods her head, absently, and looks around. She freezes stock-still as she spies the unconscious form of the bearded man sprawled on the ground. Her expression is nearly impossible to read.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-22, 12:28 PM
He's well tied up, says the other guard. I'll carry him back, if you carry the boss's body.
The other one nods, and turns to Krashnix. Could you give me a hand?

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-22, 12:36 PM
Livina
Livina walks slowly to where the bearded man lay and stared at him for a further moment. Then, with unladylike speed and precision, she draws her left foot back and kicks him squarely in the nethers, careful to make the blow a non-lethal one.
"Have that to remember me by, you bastard," she almost whispers.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-22, 03:24 PM
He grunts softly, but remains unconscious.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-22, 03:48 PM
As Livina's boot connects with his flesh, Livina realises it doesn't quite feel right, she aimed to kick him in the family jewels, but that feels like a stomach, as if he's shorter... a veil seems to open in her mind, and she sees that actually it is Orin Stillwater, in his black robe-like uniform. The others don't seem to have noticed.

Lycar
2007-06-22, 03:55 PM
Out of thin air (as he's apparently is still invisible) Akim remarks

"I just cannot understand why someone would do something so... so... "

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-22, 04:03 PM
Livina
Livina's eyes widen for a moment, but then her mouth forms a hard line as she adjusts her aim.
"I would have told you everything; all you had to do was ask."
Wham!

She turns from the unconscious Orin and walks slowly back to where the others are talking.

GryffonDurime
2007-06-22, 04:35 PM
Rhebin

Rhebin seems to be lost in thought, bobbing along...until the nearby sound of conversation buoys him.

"Hm? Oh, you mean Aidan?" He shakes his head, physically trying to remove the fatigue and worry and shock of the day's events.

"Aidan was entrusted to me by...an old family friend. She took me in. I can't tell you how much she taught me, and so when I was ready to leave she trusted me with Aidan...or he fancied to see the world, or thought I'd need the company...the little one's about as inscruitable as full-sized dragon. And I'm afraid that Aidan's not even the whole of my menagerie...I'd introduce you to Cairine, but I'm afraid the city guards would shoot her down if I called for her. Oh...Right. Sorry, it's been a bad day and I don't get to talk much and...right. Rhebin Fallir. And you?" he asks, trying to catch his breath now.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-22, 04:38 PM
Oslan Malk. You said see the world, I noticed your friends seemed a diverse lot, and you were in the Bronze Cauldron, a tavern frequented by adventurers off to explore the Illithid ruins. He sits down on a piece of rubble. Would you by any chance be adventurers yourselves?

Regwon
2007-06-22, 05:20 PM
Krashnix

Krashnix nods silently in response to the guard and moves to help him carry the unconscious man, pausing to let Livina kick him twice.

Where are we taking this skum then?

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-22, 05:24 PM
Livina
Listening to the guards talk for just a little while, Livina speaks up.
"This man" she points to Orin's unconscious form, "is disguised. It's Orin Stillwater, from the Bronze Cauldron." She pauses and looks around. "Where's Rhebin?"

Ozzy_G
2007-06-22, 06:32 PM
One guard carries the scarred man, which Livina claims is Orin, and Krashnix and the other pick up the wizard's body.
We'll take them to the guild.

GryffonDurime
2007-06-22, 06:47 PM
Rhebin Fallir

"Adventurers? I suppose that's as apt a way to put it as any. There...there were more of us. Now I guess it's just Livina and I...who I'm starting to get worried about. How long can it take to find an undertaker in this city?" Rhebin looks from side to side, hoping to see Livina. Finally, with a sigh, something sets in that Oslan said earlier.

"Illithid ruins? This bar catered to people who actually thought it was a good idea to go scurrying around in monstrous ruins of any kind--wait, I forget, which ones were Illithids? I remember Ayna warning me about them, describing all kinds of unpleasentness, but the specific escape me."

Ozzy_G
2007-06-22, 07:58 PM
Illithids ruled the world in the distant past, in the Age of Shadows, says the old man, obviously enthusiastic about the subject, before they were defeated by the armies of humanity, allied with Gothul's demons, while they were fighting some sort of religious civil war. It's really interesting, I've been working on a thesis on their religious practices for several years now. It's very hard to understand, but it seems it centred on their beliefs regarding the afterlife, there's some extremely interesting evidence that we found in the ruins, we're sending a dig out in a couple of weeks...
You get the impression that he'd be quite happy to talk to you about Illithids for hours if you don't stop him.

Lycar
2007-06-23, 05:24 AM
Akim approaches Livinia (still invisible) and asks, with both astonishment and morbid curiousity in his voice "What in Gothul's name did he want of you that he would stoop to such measures to get it ?"

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-23, 09:59 AM
Livina
Clearly a little discomfited addressing a disembodied voice, Livina looks around,
"It...it wasn't even any secret information. He was just asking me over and over who sent us and what they wanted with Orin Stillwater." She hugs herself and looks at the ground. "He wouldn't believe that I didn't know more than I said."

Lycar
2007-06-23, 10:37 AM
"Uhm, i'm over here ? .... oh... sorry..."

Akim decloaks with a slightly sheepish apologetic expression.

".. he, it is easy to forget about spells you do not have to concentrate on when you try to concentrate on some other spell."

Tapping his chin with his quaterstaff/walking staff absentmindedly, Akim continues "So then, i wonder, why are people so keen on getting their hands on this man ? What is so special about him ?"

"Don't get me wrong, for what he did to you he ought to face the full brunt of the law. Yet i cannot help to ask myself: What has the power to motivate a man to such depravity ?"

Lycar

Edit: Obviously Akim said that BEFORE they reached the building.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-23, 10:41 AM
Livina
Livina looks angrily at Akim. "How about being an utter bastard? That'd do it, right?"

Ozzy_G
2007-06-23, 10:43 AM
You walk through the streets, the townsfolk looking in shock at the dead wizard and prisoner you carry.
Eventually, you reach a large, walled compound, the high walls covered in carved mystic runes that glow with an odd glint. One of the guards knocks on a small door, and it opens, revealing a short, balding, middle-aged man in blue robes.
What is it, he snaps, you should go to the barracks... he stops, staring at the dead wizard. Ruthan! he cries, running over and hugging the corpse, tears running from his eyes.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-23, 10:47 AM
Livina
Livina looks at the ground, her hands behind her back.
That would have been me, only worse... she thinks. Poor Leyinya...

Ozzy_G
2007-06-23, 01:20 PM
The man looks up at the guards. What happened?
It was this man, replies the guard carrying Orin. He was in the that tavern in the south quarter that exploded, and some other survivors thought he was rather suspicious-looking. Ruthan and Oslan called for other wizards to help us find him, and we found he'd gone into an alley and not come back. We went to this alley, and found this girl, he points to Livina, tied up naked in a cellar with a door to the alley. This man stepped out of invisibility, and killed Ruthan. He tried to run away, but this priest of Isana cast some spell and he stopped moving, and then we jumped him and beat him unconscious. His name is Orin Stillwater, and he's a Davethran.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-23, 07:01 PM
Livina
Livina looks away, but remains silent.

GryffonDurime
2007-06-24, 09:21 PM
Rhebin

Rhebin motions to politely interrupt, quite satisfied with knowing that much and no more about Illithids. He turns his head back to the corpses of Ismal and Draven, muttering a quick, fowl word in Draconic.

"I don't suppose their belief in the Afterlife entailed a way back?" Rhebin shakes his head, letting his hand massage his temples before motioning to the corpses of his allies.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-25, 11:15 AM
Ah, no, I'm afraid not, says the man, embarrassed. But, uh, I was going to ask, if you are adventurers, would you be interested in doing a job for us? We would pay well, and it would help you on the way to raising the money to have them resurrected by the Priests on the Zhan isles. They have that power you see, and many people travel there every year with the corpses of their loved ones. But they charge a huge amount of money.

GryffonDurime
2007-06-25, 11:49 AM
Rhebin

"It always comes back to that, doesn't it?" Rhebin asks, jumping to his feet again.

"What would this job entail, then?"

Ozzy_G
2007-06-25, 02:01 PM
I'm not sure exactly, says the old wizard, I just know that the Guildmaster is looking for some adventurers to deliver something. I think he wants something taken to the east somewhere. I'm sure there's more to it than that, because otherwise we'd send our own people.

Lycar
2007-06-25, 02:17 PM
"Indeed. It has, however, come to my attention that this Orin Stillwater faces a most dire fate indeed should he fall into the hands of the bounty hunters that were sent to bring him back to Davethra, only to be sacrificed in a ritual meant to summon forth an unholy army of demons most vile."

Orin gives a slight bow to the mage. "While i certainly do not condone his actions at all, and i am deeply shocked that a davethran noble should be forced to stoop to such horrendous methods, i cannot help but wonder just how much fear he must have felt on his struggle to escape the clutches of his would-be captors. And fear, as we all have learned from our own painful experience, leads to hate. And hate leads to suffering.... point in case."

"Now while i fully support your legal authority and will not put into question your laws and customs, i neverless must caution you not to put him to death. For, as far as my limited knowledge of the situation allows me to imagine, was he to die, then simply the next Stillwater in the bloodline would become the focal point of said summoning. However, our informations indicate that all surviving members of clan Stillwater, save that one Orin Stillwater, are under the control of the very archmage who intends to perform said summoning."

"It must therefore be considered of utmost importance to neither have him killed, nor allow him to fall into the hands of said archmage. or his henchmen."

Akim takes another bow at the mage.

"I am fully aware that all this sounds very... confusing at best. It will probably be best to present the case to the guildmaster in full detail tomorrow. "

"Also, as you have undouptedly noticed, i, Akim Kar'zad, are a davethran noble myself. Having been absent from these lands for the past years, i missed the raise of the false emperor. I also am deeply disturbed by the prospect of a war looming on the horizon. Why, just as my good friend Gareth Spellwright said.... ah but i digress."

"Well, one of your men has been slain by one of my peers and honour dictates that i, as a noble myself, am now bound to make amends on behalf of my people and country."

"Now i understand that there is a temple not too far from here where the priests are capable of bringing those who died before their time back from the land of the dead."

"As it happens, two of my companions, who travelled with me through the ash desert, were killed in that cataclysm at the inn. I intended to do my utmost to have them raised. I would be forever in your debt if you would allow me to extend my services to your fallen friend."

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-25, 05:30 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina listens as the noble speaks, but when he gets about halfway through, her face flushes with anger, and she glares at Akim. After a second, however, she turns her gaze away, her hands clenched at her sides.

Regwon
2007-06-26, 03:20 AM
Krashnix

Krashnix listens to Akim speak with a look of surprise on his face.

That is most troublesome. I did not expect such a thing to be attempted so eary on in this conflict. An army of demons is a dire prospect indeed. Now i can see clearly why Stillwater was manacled. If what Akim Kar'zad says here is the truth then Stillwater must not be set free, or put to death.

He turns to Livina

I am sorry. No doubt you want to see this man punished, serverly, and so he should be, but we cannot risk putting him to death. Not yet. Once this Zere has been removed and the threat to this region has ended, then his proper punishement can continue, but until then an army of demon is far to high a risk to endure.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-26, 06:51 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina glares once more at Akim.
Don't think I didn't see you going off to have a nice long chat with Orin at the tavern. She thinks, Are you trying to protect that troll turd, Akim Kar'zad?
She glances at Krashnix, and her expression softens for a moment, but then she turns the full heat of her glare back on the glib noble.
Well, one thing's for certain; I'm not going to let you talk to the guildmaster alone tomorrow.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-26, 07:28 AM
The wizard only seems to be half-listening to Akim. He shakes his head. We wouldn't kill him anyway, he probably knows a lot, and we could do with a trained spy. We'll just question him and then have an elemental possess him or something. He speaks in a kind of dazed fugue, as if his mind is on something else.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-26, 11:46 AM
Livina Lightfoot
The Mokai lady sighs, but then lifts her head with some determination.
"We can come back later. We both have friends to bury, I guess." She looks around at Akim, but then she shifts her gaze to Krashnix.
"Let's go back and get Rhebin. And then we can find that mortician."
Livina sighs again and cups her face in her hands for a moment.
"And then...I'm gonna get a bath and fall asleep for a few days."

Ozzy_G
2007-06-26, 04:59 PM
The guards nod and help the wizard carry his friend's corpse into the guild, closing the door behind them.

Lycar
2007-06-26, 05:37 PM
Akim looks a bit disappointed as the guilds doors close before him.

"Yes, returning to the inn to make sure the bodies of my companions are taken good care of sounds like a good idea. I do suppose it is easier to have them raised if they are in good conditon."

Akim frowns for a moment before correcting himself "Or at least in what you can call a 'good condition' on a corpse."

Then he glances at the small mokai woman.

"So i take it you do not plan on doing anything about the demise of your comapnions then ?"

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-26, 06:09 PM
Livina
Livina stops.
"Wait, raising them?" She thinks for a moment. "I didn't think of that. But...can anyone around here even do that?" She sighs and looks down. "Even if there were, I don't think we could afford it, even if we sold some of their stuff and ours to cover it." She lets her eyelids droop, half covering her brown eyes.
"I can't think about all this right now; I've slogged through too much hell today. I'm just going to go back to the Inn, find Rhebin, and then work out what to do."

Lycar
2007-06-27, 12:37 AM
(Of course you didn't, you were too buisy looting their corpses....)

Akim keeps a neutral face as he talks to Livinia.

"In that case you might want to ask Sir Krashnix about this."

Then he starts heading back for the inn.

Lycar

Regwon
2007-06-27, 04:32 PM
Krashnix

Hearing what Akim just said, Krashnix answers Livina as they walk back towards the inn.

It may be true that some of the priests at my temple may be able to raise your companions, but as i told Akim, we care clerics of dream and fire, not of life and death, so there is no guarantee that such a task would be successful. The expense is also something to take into account. Raising the dead back to life is no easy feat. Expensive materials are required for the rituals involved so even if it were possible you may not have the money for the materials.

A small smile comes to his lips.

I shall of course tell my superiors about your cause and try to get a reduction in the service they might charge. Your friends were killed in a horrible manner and as such they should be brourght back if possible.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-27, 05:14 PM
Livina
Livina shrugs, absently. She's obviously used up all her listening for the moment. Taking care not to lag behind the group, the Mokai acrobat returns back to the ruins of the Cauldron.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-27, 05:29 PM
After about ten minutes walk, you arrive back at the wrecked tavern to find Rhebin still guarding the corpses, and talking to the old wizard you saw earlier. He turns to you as you arrive. Ah, hello, did you find that spy? Has Ruthan gone back to the guild?

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-27, 05:41 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina winces at the question and rushes past the wizard silently until she stands before Rhebin.
"Hey, Rhebin? Do you happen to know how much it costs to get people raised from the dead?"

Regwon
2007-06-28, 04:01 AM
Krashnix

Krashnix walks up to the wizard, his expression sorrowful

Ruthan is the name of the wizard that came with us yes? I'm afraid that I'm the bearer of bad news. While we were investigating the alley way where Orin was last seen we heard a scream comming from a nearby door. We found this woman he gestures towards Livina hanging upsidedown from the ceiling, having obviously been tortured. Ruthan tried to cast a spell to detect anyone who was inside the room, but before he was able to complete it Orin materialised in front of him and murdered him. It appears that he was a Davethran spy, trying to extract information about who Livina was sent by. He is currently at the guild awating questioning. Im sorry for your loss.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-28, 06:13 AM
Livina
Livina winces as Krashnix's part of the conversation drifts across the ruined in.
I wasn't going to bring up the torture part around Rhebin...

Ozzy_G
2007-06-28, 09:19 AM
The old man stares at you in horror. No, it can't be true! He was only a year away from being made a full wizard... he slumps on the ground, raising his hands in front of him, and starts to quietly weep.

GryffonDurime
2007-06-28, 11:29 AM
Rhebin

Rhebin jumps to his feet literally, jittering and nervous and genuinly concerned.

"Are...did he...are you alright, Livina? I mean, I thought you were gone an awfully long time but I just thought you got lost and...what kind of wizards is this place teaching?" Rhebin asks, turning to the wizard, his tone verging on paranoid accusation.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-28, 05:16 PM
The man jumps to his feet, his old face bright red. What's that supposed to mean? My apprentice is ****ing dead! Don't you care? Maybe because he's not a Zhan is it? You ****ing Zhan, you're all the same, you think just because you're so bloody mysterious you're better than everyone else?

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-28, 06:39 PM
Livina
Livina's mouth hardens to a line, and she kicks Rhebin lightly in the shin.
"Arguments later!" she shouts. She turns to face the wizard, weariness plain in her brown eyes.
"I'm really sorry he's dead...he was only trying to help, I think. The man was invisible, but when he saw there was a wizard..." She looks down for a moment. "He went right for his throat. It would have been the same for whoever got stabbed first."
The small Mokai woman raises her head again, looking at the evening sky overhead through the blasted remains of the roof.
"Right now," she continues, "I just want to get our friends somewhere safe and cold until we work things out." She deflates a little. "And then I want a hot bath, and somewhere safe to sleep." Her voice cracks as she finishes the sentence, and she stops. Passing both hands wearily across her smudged face, Livina stands still and silent for a second or two.
Finally, she lifts her head and looks at the wizard, her tone a little firmer. "Look, I'm sorry to be trouble and all that, but can you tell me where I can find a mortician? Someone who can care for these bodies," she indicates where the stiff forms of Ismal, Draven and the rest lay, "At least until morning?"

Ozzy_G
2007-06-29, 09:40 AM
He stares at her numbly. There's a gnome who lives down that street, he says pointing, who does that kind of stuff. He turns away, and starts walking down the street. I'm going to go and see Ruthan, he mutters.

The Great Skenardo
2007-06-29, 11:01 AM
Livina Lighfoot
The slight Mokai woman nods, a determined set to her face.
"Rhebin..." she says, with a surprising firmness, "Stay here just a little while longer, Okay?" She stalks over to Krashnix, and grabs him by the arm. "I'm not going unescorted this time." Goal in mind, she begins stalking towards the ruined doorframe, heading for the direction the wizard pointed, dragging the armored read-beard behind her, if necessary.

Brickwall
2007-06-29, 03:05 PM
Kizima

Kizima is silent for most of the time (though she seems a little too amused at Livina's treatment of Orin's unconcious body). As the two other adventurers go off to find the mortician, she stays with the guards near Orin.

"You're sending him to a prison, right? Not to sound cruel, but not restraint is too much, no restriction too unreasonable for him. Handcuffs, a gag, and solitary confinement should be enough, but he always seems to have more tricks."

With that, she stares at Rhebin intently.

"So you're the only other survivor I can talk to right now. Any idea what happened here?"

GryffonDurime
2007-06-29, 03:18 PM
Rhebin

"No. We were just sent here looking for that Orin kid, and then the demon-worshiping fellow just had to explode, I suppose, right in the middle of the tavern. This whole thing--the dopplegangers, the black fire...it's too much," Rhebin says dejectedly with a sigh, empathically reaching out for Aidan to return.

"A good friend of mine once told me that the best things life gives you are the things you least expect," he says, voice quivering a little but then strengthening, full of confused serenity, "but I just don't see how this--" he motions toward the corpses of his friends, "--is the best of life. Don't even know what to do or where I'm going. Have you ever felt like that? Just...adrift, I guess?"

Ozzy_G
2007-06-29, 05:57 PM
The guards reply to Kizima before leaving.
The wizards won't be tying him up. They'll take control of his mind, and probably send him back to try and kill his master, Ravan Zere.

Lycar
2007-06-29, 07:05 PM
Akim remains silent for the most part. All he has to remark is:

"Sir Krashnix ? How do we go about getting my companions to your temple ? If you should find yourself too buisy to accompany me, would you be so kind to, oh, maybe write a letter of recommendation ?"

Lycar

Regwon
2007-06-30, 12:46 PM
Krashnix

As Livina drags him out of the remains of the door door, Krashnix has time to look back at Akim and say,

Could you acquire a cart perhaps? I will travel with you to the temple, as soon as we have found a mortician

With that, Livina, and a slightly ruffled Krashnix, leave the ruins of the inn and head off down the street.

Brickwall
2007-06-30, 12:50 PM
Kizima

"Fine, but if he comes back to kill any of us, we'll know who to blame. Now maybe if you were to do both, there'd be no problem."

She then turns to Rhebin.

"In some way, yes. I honestly have very little idea of what's going on, and am mostly just getting swept up in things. All my friends seemed to know more about the overarching quest to save the universe, but now it seems that I'm among all the others who are lost."

Ozzy_G
2007-06-30, 02:56 PM
Livina and Krashnix head off down the street, and soon reach a single-story building, painted black (though the paint is faded and cracked) with a small skull nailed above the door, a child's skull you initially think, but it's too alien, the skull is overlarge and the nostrils oddly angled. Probably a gnome skull.
To the left of the door, a sign reads "Mortician, autopsies, corpse disposal, etc, etc."
On the right is a sign in Gnomish, which appears to be much longer, though this may be quite deceptive as Gnomish is a language with quite long words anyway.

Lycar
2007-06-30, 08:59 PM
And so, Akim remains to stand guard over the remains of Sir Nulliop and Sir Kesh.

"*sigh*"

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-01, 12:31 AM
Livina
Still operating on whatever fires of determination have kept her going this far, Livina opens the door and walks inside.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-01, 08:11 AM
Krashnix and Livina walk into a badly-lit room, with coffins on one side and strange tools on the other, with stuffed, preserved animals hanging above. A bell rings as they walk in, and a grey-skinned, extremely short bald man walks out of a door at the back and sits up behind a desk; a gnome. Hello, what can I do for you? His voice is dusty as a grave.

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-01, 09:01 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina falters at the doorstep for a moment, looking with somewhat wide eyes at the pallid gray creature before her. It was the first time she'd actually seen a gnome before, and his appearance, combined with the macabre nature of his shop, apparently has unnerved her into silence.

Regwon
2007-07-01, 05:51 PM
Krashnix

Gnomes are to morbid for my tastes, and this place is far to eerie for my liking. Let us finish our business here quickly.

He waits for a few seconds for Livina to reply to the gnome but when she does not he replies instead.

Greetings sir Gnome. There has been an incident at the Bronze Cauldron, no doubt you have heard of the place. There was an explosion and the inn was destroyed. Tragically many people died, including friends of my companion here, so we would like to hire your services to take care of their bodies.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-02, 10:17 AM
The creature nods, trying to look sympathetic, but not really succeeding. It's just regular business for him. What do you want me to do with them exactly? I can prepare them for a funeral, I can stuff them, I can stitch them back together if you can afford to have them resurrected, I can preserve them to be taken across country if you want to bury them in their hometowns, I can get coffins for them, or we can cremate them.

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-02, 10:45 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Having recovered her composure, Livina answers,
"We need them preserved until we can get them ressurected, but I don't know how long that will take. Is there a cold room or something? To keep them from going all runny?"

Ozzy_G
2007-07-02, 11:07 AM
The gnome nods. Yes, in the back, would you like to see it?

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-02, 11:11 AM
Livina
Livina bites her lip. "As long as there isn't anyone too...messy in there already, okay."
She prepares to follow the short, yet somehow menacing gnome.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-02, 11:24 AM
No, no, he says, waving his stubby arms reassuringly. You note that his black robe is spattered with old dry blood. He leads you through the back door into a short landing with three other doors leading off, and opens the backmost of these. A wave of cold wafts out at you. You see a stone room full of ice, though you cannot see what causes the cold. There are several black boxes, large enough for bodies. Look, he says, walking across to a smaller box, and opening it. Inside is another gnome. At first, you think she is asleep, so well-preserved is the corpse, but the lack of breathing gives it away. My wife's been here ten years, she's still lovely and fresh. I'm hoping to raise the money to have her reanimated, there's a guy up in Sural that does them.

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-02, 11:28 AM
Livina
The Mokai woman draws in her breath sharply as the cold air hits her skin, and she gives a small shudder as she rolls her shoulders, whether from discomfort or pleasure. She looks around the ice room with a sort of detached horror, and her mouth hangs open as the gnome introduces his wife. But then, she closes her mouth and nods.
"O-kay...I guess there are four bodies, then. We'll take you to them?"

Ozzy_G
2007-07-02, 11:42 AM
Four you say? I'll bring my cold cart then. He closes the lid of his wife's box, and leads you to one of the other days, which opens to reveal a small yard with an old horse and a cart with a large covered top. He starts to tie the horse to the cart.

Regwon
2007-07-02, 05:54 PM
Krashnix

I never have gotten used to gnomes. Their obsession with death disturbs me slightly, but they do provide an essential service in large communities i suppose.

Krashnix speaks to Livina as they watch the gnome go about his business.

Tomorrow i will be able to cast a spell that will keep the bodies pristine for a little over a week. The cart would still be useful, however, as we shall have to transport the bodies to my temple if you wish for them to be raised there.

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-02, 05:56 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina nods, watching the gnome go about hitching the cart.
"All right...but for tonight, let's get them someplace safe and cold."

Ozzy_G
2007-07-03, 09:02 AM
The gnome rides his cart out of the back alley and into the street, followed by Krashnix and Livina. You all head off back to the tavern.

The gnome opens the top of his wagon when he gets there, revealing loads of ice. Right, could you help me with the bodies please?

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-03, 10:07 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina nods, mutely, and moves forward to help lifting the bulk of Draven and Ismal's scorched remains.
Just a little bit longer girl, she thinks to herself, And you'll be able to get some rest and some food and a bath. Just a little longer.

Lycar
2007-07-03, 01:24 PM
Akim meanwhile waits at the inn.

When Krashnix returns with the undertaker, he is at first slightly startled when he realizes that it is a gnome. But then he regains his composure.

"Ah yes, thank you that you could make it. Sir Krashnix, would you please help with these bodies ? I am afraid, a life of study and contemplation tends to leave one's physical strength woefully undeveloped."

Akim Kar'zad will see to it that the bodies of Sir Kesh and Sir Nulliop will be loaded aboard the cart.

Then he regards the corpse of Hern curiously.

"Hrm.. i wonder. Ah, would you mind taking this one with you too ? It might be possible that Sir Kesh or Sir Nulliop might want to have him raised too afterwards."

Lycar

Brickwall
2007-07-03, 05:15 PM
Kizima

At the arrival of the mortician, Kizima turns away from Rhebin, and immediately heads toward Kaleff's charred skeleton. She lugs it over to the cart and places it inside. She then walks to Hern's body, and stops. She bites her lower lip as she stares at it for a minute.

"Could I, uh," she calls out loudly to no-one in particular, "could I get some help over here?"

Ozzy_G
2007-07-03, 05:32 PM
It takes you a while, but eventually with your help the Gnome gets all the bodies onto his cart. Right, I'll take these back to the cold room. You can come and collect them when you've raised the money to get them resurrected. It'll be 1 silver piece per body if I've got them for less than a week, or 1 silver piece per body per week if I've got them longer. He looks around. Hey, this was the adventurer's tavern, right? I remember it, I hired a bunch of guys to get me a Illithid skeleton from the ruins over the hill once. You guys look like a pretty eclectic bunch, would you be adventurers? Because I know the Archmage, you know, the head of the Wizard's Guild, wants some adventurers to do something or other for him, and he'll pay well. Good way to start raising the money to get all the diamonds you need for the spells. Once you've done one job for him, he might have more.

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-03, 05:39 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina's nostrils flare as the gnome mentions the potential commission. Her reply is terse;
"I've had just about enough working for archmages, thank you. Maybe I'll worry about it in the morning, but right now..." She stands still for a heartbeat or two, resting her face in the crook of her own arm. She takes a deep breath. "I'm going to go to an inn that doesn't explode, have a bath, and sleep."
And with that, She turns on her heel and trudges out of the ruined Inn, looking for a friendly sign.

GryffonDurime
2007-07-03, 06:49 PM
Rhebin

Still caught in shock, Rhebin jogs after Livina, still looking very concerned and also still trying to signal Aidan.

"Livina, wait, for me," Rhebin says as he catches up, trying his best not to look as awkward and conflicted on the outside as he feels on the inside. She'd been through too much already, and she deserved...something stable, he guessed. Something that wasn't going to explode or kidnap her.

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-03, 10:11 PM
Livina
As Rhebin calls, Livina slows to a stop and looks up at the deepening dusk sky. She waits for Rhebin to catch up, and then tilts her head, looking at him with a question in her eyes.

GryffonDurime
2007-07-03, 10:20 PM
Rhebin

Rhebin looks at Livina, a quick appraisal, confusedly.

"Are you alright?"

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-03, 10:33 PM
Livina Lightfoot
A flicker of emotions pass across Livina's face, But then she smiles, wearily.
"Well...I can only count to nineteen now. And I think that if I'm not taking a bath within a half hour, I'm going to have to shave my head." She picks at a tangle of her now filthy brown hair with her left hand. "Hell, Rhebin, I don't know. One part of me wants to collapse sobbing until some noble knight or whoever takes me off to someplace safe and warm," Livina looks a little embarrassed at the admission, "And part of me wants to scream and punch something until my knuckles bleed." She looks up again and smiles. "Can we just find an Inn for now? Once I've gotten a bath and something to eat..."

Ozzy_G
2007-07-04, 05:42 AM
Looking around, the party find a pleasant inn called the Sheep and the Dragon (named after an old Qusan story), where they stay the night. They get decent meals, nice beds, and Livina gets her bed. It costs each of you 1 silver piece.
The next morning, you all come down to breakfast nicely refreshed, and Krashnix has said his dawn prayers. Rhebin sits reading his spellbook while the rest of you eat.

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-04, 08:13 AM
Livina Lightfoot
The wooden stairs creak, serving as Livina's heralds as she steps down to breakfast. The combination of ablutions and rest appear to have worked wonders on Livina's frame of mind and state of dress. As she reaches the bottom of the stairs, she kicks her feet and does a little leap down to the landing, her traveling skirt drifting up to reveal sensible breeches below with the motion. It had taken almost an hour to get the accumulate grime of the last day out of her hair, which she now has tied up behind her head with a green ribbon.
The Mokai waves cheerily to Krashnix and sits down next to Rhebin, helping herself to positively unladylike portions of bread, fruit and water.

Brickwall
2007-07-04, 08:27 AM
Kizima

Kizima, after waking up, heads downstairs and orders a mug of ale, then sits down to eat. Without even really asking anyone, she drags a chair over to the table with the other adventurers and sits atop her backpack.

"So, I don't recall that I've been properly introduced to any of you. Since we're all now involved in this crazy mixed-up scheme, it might be best if we get to know each other more." She sips her ale, and is obviously not intending to start off the round of introductions.

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-04, 08:41 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina looks up from her water at the strange diminutive lady. From the inn, she remembered, and the first one to open the door to that godawful cellar. Through half a mouthful of bread, Livina says
"What crazy venture? We're all just looking into raising the scratch to raise our friends from the dead, right?" Livina frowns and looks thoughtful, "Oh, you meant working for the Archmage, like the gnome suggested? Ugh." The Mokai lady carefully puts down her cup and stares at her plate.
"I want them back alive just as much as you do, but I don't wanna work for another bloody archmage." In an offhand way, she adds "I'm Livina."

GryffonDurime
2007-07-04, 12:53 PM
Rhebin

Rhebin nods along with the conversation as he finishes consulting his spellbook, repeating short, strange words in Draconic in an attempt to commit them to memory, if only for a short while.

"Mhmm...Rhebin," he manages to mumble out between incantations, gesturing towards himself thickly.

Lycar
2007-07-04, 05:10 PM
Akim takes his sweet time getting up and refreshing himself before he comes down to the common room for breakfast. He immediately seeks to join Krashnix at his table.

"Ah, good morning Sir Krashnix. Do you mind me taking this seat ? Thank you."

Akim helps himself to some bread and butter and eats quietly. He does not seem too inclined to talk to anyone but Krashnix. At the very least he is not even trying to make eye contact with anyone.

After eating just a bit of food, Akim seems to remember something and he adresses Krashnix.

"Ach Sir Krashnix, this reminds me: I still have to bring Sir Kesh senior the bad news. I am just afraid i am a bit... ill suited for .. bearing such news in a graceful manner. I would really appreciate it if you would see fit to accompany me on this somber task."

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-04, 05:20 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina bites her lip as she tries to remember who Kesh was. But then she remembers; the young boy at the table. She shakes her head.
Poor bastard. It must have been his first adventure, and now someone's got to tell his dad that his son's been killed.

Regwon
2007-07-05, 03:22 AM
Krashnix

For those of you who do not know, i am Krashnix Dreamscape.

Livina i can understand your apprehesion about working for annother archmage, but i assume you have only worked for davethran archmages before. I can assure you that the archmages of Qusa are cut of an entirely different cloth. Where as the achmages of Davethra are only interest in enchancing their own power and status, the Qusan archmages are, for the most part, committed to ensuring that Qusa remains an independant state, not under the occupation of Ravan Zere's forces. Since you are looking to raise funds to ressurect your friends I think that working for the guild is an exellent way to do that, since they do tend to pay rather well.

He continues eating but looks up when Akim addresses him.

Of course Sir Akim. Was there a Kesh junior amongst the victims of the worshiper of Bazal? I no nothing of your companions I'm afraid. It is always difficult to be the bearer of terrible news, especially when relating to the death of a younger family member. shall we leave after breakfast?

Lycar
2007-07-05, 04:01 PM
Krashnix

I can assure you that the archmages of Qusa are cut of an entirely different cloth. Where as the achmages of Davethra are only interest in enchancing their own power and status, the Qusan archmages are, for the most part, committed to ensuring that Qusa remains an independant state, not under the occupation of Ravan Zere's forces.

Akim gives Krshnix a long look for a moment, but remains quiet.

KrashnixHe continues eating but looks up when Akim addresses him.

Of course Sir Akim. Was there a Kesh junior amongst the victims of the worshiper of Bazal? I no nothing of your companions I'm afraid. It is always difficult to be the bearer of terrible news, especially when relating to the death of a younger family member. shall we leave after breakfast?

"Yes, best we get over it soon. While i only had the pleasure of getting to know Sir Kesh and Sir Nulliop for a scant few days, they struck me as shining examples of davethran nobility, patriots and heroes who would stop at nothing to see davethra reclaim its rightful place among the civilised people of this world. Without being subjugated by a demon 'god', without murdering thousands of its people every year in the name of said 'god', without being a mortal threat to its neighbouring nations.... "

Akim takes a deep sigh.

"Ask some people and they will tell you that davethran nobles are a bunch of vile, inbreed and utterly immoral demon-worshippers who would rather cut out the still beating hearts of their own mothers then do one good deed..." he glances at Lavinia for just the slightest of moments here "but, as improbable as it sounds, some are actually crazy enough to believe that nobles ought to be leaders, shining examples to their people, paragons of virtue and, well, nobility, devoting their lives to the betterment and defense of the live of their fellow countrymen and, by extension, all humans... davethran, qusan, mokai or zhan... or halfling for that matter."

"I am just a humble scholar. My speciality, unlike that of most of my clan, is history. I got to read the written records from the last score of centuries from all sides. Of course, it is usually quite hard to get reliable accounts from the side who just, say, lost a war or got to be 'adopted' by a more powerful force.... yet, when you really look at it, life, or history if you will, always follows the same basic patterns..."

Akim broods for a few moments, frowning, then continues "Take our qusan mages for example. They are mages. They study the raw powers that make our world work. They HAVE, as a matte rof course, to learn to make logical and well-informed decisions. After all, as any practitioner of the arcane arts worth his title can tell you, a even minor, nay miniscule error in the casting of a spell can potentiall have desastrous results. Therefore, so the inevitable logic follows, they are ALSO the best, and only, people trained to deal with a country on the verge of war with a potentially superior opponent. Since they cannot possibly make mistakes. After all, they managed not to blow themselves up so far. Q.e.d."

Akim takes a quick sip of water before he continues "Certainly i don't have to point out to you that a certain other nation is currently ALSO being ruled by a number of very powerful and high ranking practicioners of the arcane arts... except they skipped the phases of internal squabbling over politics and went straight to all-out warfare all-vs-all."

"Mark my words: With the takeover of the mages, Qusa has entered a steep downward spiral... first they will make harsh but totally sensible and neccessary decisions to prepare their country for a war for sheer survival.... but then...."

Akim stops, shaking his head "No.. it doesn't have to end this way. There is still the chance to stop Ravan Zere and restore the empire. Then Qusa might as well be saved along with Davethra."

Akim turns to meet Krashnix gaze, getting somewhat excited with his eyes glowing with an almost fanatical fire as he continues "The chances may be slim, next to nonexistant maybe, but i firmly believe that with people like Sir Kesh and Sir Nulliop, there is still hope. And therefore i will do everything in my power to bring them back !"

Here he stops taking a deep breath.

"Sorry, i got carried away a bit. It is frustrating to see, to KNOW what is going to happen and be powerless to stop it from happening. But Sir Kesh and Sir Nulliop.... maybe even that Hern guy they mentioned... they are heroes--- well, potential heroes. They just might a difference. And maybe my role in history is just to make sure they get that chance. Well, history will not find me wanting."

Lycar

Brickwall
2007-07-05, 04:49 PM
Kizima

Kizima shuts her eyes for a second to resist rolling them as she detects the beginning of a rant. Still, she does pay attention to the whole thing. After Akim finishes, she leans forward and stares intently at him.

"I seem to recall knowing very few people as long-winded as you. However, those who know the word 'halfling' are rarer than kind-hearted magicians, and much more suspicious. Scholar and lecturer that you are, I'm sure you wouldn't mind telling me exactly how you came by that name?" Her tone is not threatening or intimidating, but her dark eyes meet the scholar's, and seemed to be attempting to look through his skull.

Lycar
2007-07-05, 05:16 PM
Akim turns to Kizima "Hmm ? How do you mean ? Kind-hearted nobles ? Hrm, don't get me wrong here, when i strive to restore our glorious nation i also do have my own best interests in mind too... or would you want to live under the scourge of a demon god if you had any other choice ? And make no mistake, being a noble at an archmages court is not as pleasant as you might think. You are totally right about one thing: Kind hearted nobles are rare. They tend to suffer appaling rates of attrition. "

Taking a moment to scratch his chin absentmindedly, he continues "And what name do you mean ? Oh... halfling .. but of course... you are right again indeed, that name is all but unknown to most people. Of course i am not most people. See, it really is a matter of straight thinking. You are quite small, smaller even then a mokai but you do not share thier darker skin colouration. Also you are, unlike human midgets, proportioned like a human. Except you are only about half the size of a regular human being."

"Now it just so happens that, during my studies of historical texts, i also came across various dokuments detailing expeditions old davethran explorers made into other parts of the world. And, as you undoubtedly already deducted yourself, they also mentioned coming across a certain people of ... er... 'human like beings, with bronze skin, almost akin to normal folk, except for their size, which amounts to roughly half the heigth of a human adult. We decided to call them 'halflings' until we find out what they call themselves'. Apparently their contact with those 'halflings' turned sour and they had to kill a score or two to make their escape and unfortunately never learned the name these people gave themselves...."

Akim raises an eyebrow at Kizima "Care to educate us ?"

Lycar

Brickwall
2007-07-05, 05:48 PM
Kizima

"As much as I love to talk about my heritage, I'm more concerned with how you ran across this document. Only rich, noble families seem to make such expeditions, and such families guard their personal accounts closely. I should know. Therefore, I think that it would be unusual for even a scholar to have access to such accounts. In fact, I've only heard of two, and was never able to get at either. What was that one name, Stillwater, I think? Of course, there are certainly more, but not too many. Not enough to be in every book collection in the world, at least."

((Little note: Kizima and many other halflings have copper or dark skin, Kizima being posessed of the former. Can't say every halfling for certain, but many. Thus, 'fair-skinned' may not be the statement you're looking for.))

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-05, 05:57 PM
Livina
It takes Livina a moment to place the name "Stillwater," but when she does her eyes blaze with anger. "You mean that torturing bastard? If he was a scholar then I'm an oath-sworn."

GryffonDurime
2007-07-05, 06:31 PM
Rhebin

Rhebin slams his spellbook closed, rubbing his temples gently while still reciting one last little Draconic litany.

"I now know more about the smaller people of the world than I ever desired to," he says, his voice once again dripping with sarcasm after a good night's sleep. "And I don't know that I've ever found a spell to go awry. Perhaps if one was so utterly moribund on the literals of the spell, rather than the intent...but I suppose it's different for those whose magic doesn't stem from personal power...enough about it. I don't want to sound like a scholar myself," the zhan says, sharing a quick, joking look with Livina before tucking the spellbook into his satchel.

"I have to wonder, though; even if we do take this work and collect money...what right do we have to pry souls from death?"

((Is it safe to assume that Aidan's come home by now?))

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-05, 06:43 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina doesn't join in with the Zhan's chortle. She just stares, blinking. Finally, she speaks, her tone somewhat incredulous.
"What d'you mean 'what right do we have?' I'm not doing this for me, you know; If you asked Ismal and Draven," he tone turns mocking, " 'Would you two rather be living and having hot dragonny sex together, or would you like to be shunted off to whatever cold seperate worlds await you after your fleshy bits have been roasted by unholy flames?' I don't think they're gonna take long to decide!" She shakes her head, her ponytail weaving silently behind her head. "I don't mind working to get money, even if it's not my favorite way, but I just don't wanna work for an Archmage."

Ozzy_G
2007-07-05, 06:56 PM
Aiden yawns sleepily from Rhebin's shoulder, after returning yesterday he spent the night hunting mice and other snacks.

Regwon
2007-07-06, 04:58 AM
Krashnix

Krashnix's eyes glaze over while halflings are being discussed but then he listens again to Rhebin and gives Livina an odd look when she speaks about Dragonny sex.

It it impossible for mortals to bring dead souls back to the mortal coil against their will. Only the great and powerful Imshaeroth, Lord of life and Death themselves, has such power. If a soul does not want to return to life, you cannot force it to. Resurrection is more of a request than a demand. A request that may be denied by either the soul of the dead or Imshaeroth, as your friends have likely come to rest in his realm. If your friends are content there then they may choose to stay, otherwise they may choose to return.

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-06, 07:22 AM
Livina
Finishing up a roll and dusting off her hands, Livina replies, somewhat indistinctly
" 'M na dithagreein' bout" she swallows "Imshaeroth, but if he lets people kill each other, I don't think he'll be getting his divine garters in a knot of people un-kill each other. 'Sides, that's what the diamonds are for, right? It's like a trade."

Lycar
2007-07-06, 10:07 AM
Kizima

"As much as I love to talk about my heritage, I'm more concerned with how you ran across this document. Only rich, noble families seem to make such expeditions, and such families guard their personal accounts closely. I should know. Therefore, I think that it would be unusual for even a scholar to have access to such accounts. In fact, I've only heard of two, and was never able to get at either. What was that one name, Stillwater, I think? Of course, there are certainly more, but not too many. Not enough to be in every book collection in the world, at least."

Akim quirks an eyebrow at Kizima with a surprised expression "What do you know about .... ah.. but of course...."

Akim sighs and rubs the bridge of his nose before continuing "You are right again, of course. Knowledge is power and the mages guard theirs jealously. Still, we Kar'zads are renowed for our expertise in all things arcane and such knowledge does not come from studying dusty tomes in tall towers alone, mind you. Although i'd be the first to admit that barely a Kar'zad ventured on any glorious expeditions. But they DID sponsor such endeavors and there WAS the odd Kar'zad explorer."

"If a Stillwater also had access to these records.... well, they get around a lot.... "

"... maybe some of them stumbled across these notes... accidently of course." he scowls, then his expression turns neutral again and he continues "I should add that we had ... dealings... with the Stillwater clan. What with them being the official envoys of Ralm and even beyond."

Akim regards Kizima curiously for a moment "Say, you wouldn't happen to have had dealings with the Stillwaters too ?"

Rhebin

"I now know more about the smaller people of the world than I ever desired to," he says, his voice once again dripping with sarcasm after a good night's sleep. "And I don't know that I've ever found a spell to go awry. Perhaps if one was so utterly moribund on the literals of the spell, rather than the intent...but I suppose it's different for those whose magic doesn't stem from personal power...enough about it. I don't want to sound like a scholar myself,"

Akim retorts "Yes, YOU know that, so do i and i dare say some of the others around here had sufficient exposure to the arcane arts to know that. But ask your average citizen or peasant about it... Ha, why do you think mages are that powerful ? Half the secret is that everybody believes they are and treats them accordingly. I don't know how they did take over, but im willing to bet good money on it relating heavily on the former lords not wanting to be frogged. Or worse."

((Little note: Kizima and many other halflings have copper or dark skin, Kizima being posessed of the former. Can't say every halfling for certain, but many. Thus, 'fair-skinned' may not be the statement you're looking for.))

((Changes the post to 'bronze skin'.))

Lycar

Brickwall
2007-07-06, 11:46 AM
Kizima

"Dealings? A couple. Enough to note some distinct features. Yellow eyes, often lie about their identity. Never had the displeasure of really getting to know any of them personally. Still, no need to make excuses for their actions. I should hardly think that there's even a point in defending them. Those who do not already think ill of them learn to in short time." Kizima relaxes her gaze on Akim and sips at her drink casually.

He's getting angry. Looks like my hunch was right. Whoever he is, he put a lot of effort into this identity. I bet his hair is dyed to avoid any mishaps. Still, if I can trick him into rubbing that makeup off, this could get interesting.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-06, 12:08 PM
Ah, excuse me? I'm sorry to interrupt you, but I couldn't help overhearing that you are in need of lots of money to raise your friends. And I might be able to help. A Qusan man steps up, probably in his 30s, middling height, dark hair and eyes. No real distinguishing features of any sort.

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-06, 12:12 PM
Livina
Livina looks up once more from her clay mug of water and regards the newcomer with cautious curiosity. She leans back a little, her legs crossed with exaggerated nonchalance.
"Yes?" she asks, politely, "How?"

Lycar
2007-07-06, 07:13 PM
Akim listens to Kizimas answer, then replies with a chuckle "I see.... it would seem you had the .. interesting experience of running into one of the familes.... ah... information gatherers. I must admit, they can become a little tiresome at times. As if not everybody already knows that the Stillwaters are Govans spies." Akim rolls his eyes here before continuing "But then again, i suppose that is just part of 'the game'. Huh, i wonder what it would be like to always have to deny your true self, hide behind illusions and deceptions...."

Apparently he was about to say more, but this is when the qusan stranger interrupts.

Lycar

Brickwall
2007-07-06, 07:17 PM
Kizima

Damn. If that's not what it was, what got him so irritable? Oh, wait, money!

Kizima turns around in her seat to face the stranger, but keeps her mug to her lips.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-07, 04:28 AM
Well, says the man, it's just that you guys seem like adventurers or something, you know, you've got a couple of wizards, and the priest, and so on. He pulls up a seat, and sits down. His eyes seem to light up with an enthusiastic gleam as he talks. I'm a researcher you see, and I recently got my hands on a genuine treasure map. It leads to the tomb of an ancient Dwarven King. It's probably full of priceless relics, books and artefacts with incredible potential to teach us about Dwaven culture and beliefs! He waves his hands as he speaks, it's obviously something he's very passionate about. The historical value would be huge, there could be all sorts of information there! He stops. But of course, you're probably not interested in that. But Dwarven tombs are always full of magical stuff, magic weapons and armour and so on, not to mention books of spells that the Guild would pay handsomely for. I'm no dungeon-delver, there might be traps and golems and things, and I'd need bodyguards for the journey anyway. You could come with me as my guards, and help me get into the tomb, and loot all the magic stuff to sell to the Guild and raise the money to get the diamonds to resurrect your friends. What do you say?

Lycar
2007-07-07, 05:11 AM
I'm a researcher you see, and I recently got my hands on a genuine treasure map. It leads to the tomb of an ancient Dwarven King. It's probably full of priceless relics, books and artefacts with incredible potential to teach us about Dwaven culture and beliefs!

Akim listesn to the stranger and when he gets to this part, his eyes start to glow with a fascination that mirrors that of the qusan researcher.

(How fortunate ! Just what i need, when i need it... maybe the fates smile on me today.. or at least right now... better seize the opportunity, lest it slips my grasp. Damn that halfling... doesn't everybody know about them ? *sigh* that is what happens when one takes the things one knows for granted ...)

"So you are a scholar ? A historian even ? Good Sir, if you don't mind, i am certainly not any good as anyone's bodyguard, but it just so happens that history is my speciality and i would be in your debt forever if you would allow me to accompany you on this expedition."

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-07, 06:07 AM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina nods, slowly. That sounded like pretty good work.
"But..." she asks, testing the idea for weak points, "Would the dwarves get mad at us for doing that? I hear they can be awful when riled up."

Brickwall
2007-07-07, 09:26 AM
Kizima

"I think the only one we'll have to be worried about is the one we're robbing, though if this dwarf was rich enough to have such a tomb, if dwarves are anything like humans, that will pose more than enough problems. Still, it's been too long since I've gotten to go raiding. Count me in."

I wonder who will be carrying all our stuff? My theif's pack is only good for so much. But if it's a tomb, I bet it'll just have the diamonds plainly, instead of just having enough money for us to go look for them. Rich people just looove jewels. And these scholars have to be at least a little skilled in knowing how valuable their finds are. This could actually go well...

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-07, 09:53 AM
Livina
Livina nods, liking the idea more and more.
"Hmm...That sounds pretty good, actually. Are we just guarding you, then? And...other question; where's the line drawn between "valuable historical relic" and "stuff we can have to sell?" "
Mentally, Livina adds
If the loot's good enough, I might be able to give Draven back his mace and Ismal her Vest. They'd appeciate that, I bet.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-07, 05:23 PM
No, no, he shakes his head, slightly condescendingly, at Livina's first query. This isn't one in the Gray Wastes, this is an old ruined tomb. There won't be any Dwarves. Except the dead one of course! He laughs at his own joke.
So, yes, about what we split between us, well you can have the books of spells and I'll have all the other books. And then in terms of artefacts, I'll study the runes and see whether they're important historical things. Like, say, a crown or something. But if its stuff like, uh, his dwarven axe of magical killing, you can take that. He waves at Akim. My fellow scholar can verify that I'm not pretending things are important when they're not.

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-07, 05:41 PM
Livina
Hmmm...
Livina looks around at the others gathered about the table. Rhebin's ears would have perked up at the mention of spellbooks, she was sure, and...What was the 'halfling's ' name? She hadn't said, had she?
Livina smiles inwardly. Livina could probably take a few lessons on caution from her. Anyways. Krashnix...well, Livina wasn't really sure about him. He seemed nice enough, but why was he so keen on helping out a bunch of strangers with whom he had no link? That was something to consider, maybe. And Akim...
Another bloody condescending noble with a lecturn up his ***, Livina thinks. She hadn't forgotten the quip about 'hairless vulture,' nor his habit of standing around making observations while people are hanging upside down in a cellar, naked and bleeding.

Anyways. With a mental shake, Livina returns her attention to the discussion at hand, quietly drumming her fingers on the smooth and notched wood of the table. She nods, then asks "How far away are the ruins, and when would you wanna leave?"

Ozzy_G
2007-07-07, 05:58 PM
When would be convenient for you? The ruins are on the other side of the Bitter Sea, in the hills of the east, where no one much lives.

Lycar
2007-07-07, 06:10 PM
"Indeed... dwarven tomes of magic should fetch a very high price. After all, they were, and to the best of my knowledge, still are very powerful mages."

Akim turns and smiles at Lavinia "And i might add, even if the spellbooks only contain, well, arcane formulas, even they alone could tell volumes about the history of the dwarves. How their understanding of the arcane evolved for example." Akim's eyes light up "Why, if i could secure some of those ancient dwarven spellbooks, i might even return home without...."

Akim stops suddenly, blinks and turns somber "Ah yes, but there is still the matter of rising the funds for the resurrection of my companions. Oh well, at least the qusan mages are known for paying good gold for good work. Or good information for that matter."

"Oh, and just in case any of you just happen to consider themselves professional tomb evacuators, remember that the ... hehe... evacuation countermeasures we are likely to encounter will likely be of a magical nature. So people who know about magic might actually prove useful to have around." Akim says, looking pretty smug upon his little joke.

Lycar

Brickwall
2007-07-07, 09:30 PM
Kizima

"The Bitter Sea again?" She clutches her forehead. "I just got over it! Like, yesterday! Are we traveling by airship again? Will there be dragons? And you," she turns to Akim, "The trap experts here know exactly what magical traps can do, so if you have any magic detection spells I suggest you prepare a lot of them, or else I'll make sure you're the one who ends up with an ass covered in warts! Take that as you will." Turning away from Akim in what seems to be a mixture of mock and real disgust, she downs the rest of her ale quickly.

"Why can't people just use regular, deadly traps? Honestly..."

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-07, 09:40 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina leans forward a little, resting her chin on her palms as she gazes with interest at Kizima.
"You know traps?" she asks. "I've never been any good with those. I can usually see them coming, but, well..." She shrugs her shoulders in a 'What-can-you-do?' gesture. She lifts a hand and scratches behind her ear. "Um. Did you ever tell us your name?"

Brickwall
2007-07-07, 09:53 PM
Kizima

"I didn't, though I'm more interested in knowing our employer's name right now."

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-07, 10:05 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina blinks, and then turns her head to regard the Qusan with a bright brittle smile, and she holds up a finger as if to say "Just a moment, please."

Letting the hand rest on the table once more, Livina idly traces patterns on the table as she returns her gaze to the halfling perched on the backpack.
"If I'm gonna travel with you, I've got to know your name, or just some name. You know, if I need to warn you, or curse your name or whatever. Doesn't even have to be your real one. We could call you Alicia, if you want." Livina smiles in what she hopes in a winning fashion.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-08, 06:25 AM
My name is Rego Vel, replies the man.

Regwon
2007-07-08, 05:39 PM
Krashnix

Krashnix sits and listens patiently although he does give Kizima an odd lookduring her outburst about magical traps.

So, Rego Vel, how do you suggest that we cross the bitter sea. I don't relish the prospect of sailing those waters this time of the year, or any time of the year for that matter. Do you have any idea about the extent of this tomb or who was laid to rest there? Only a fool walks blindly into a dungeon.

Brickwall
2007-07-08, 09:31 PM
Kizima

"And what about our loquacious friend here? I haven't heard his name yet, and I trust him the least. After I know his name, I shall give mine without reserve."

Kizima does not seem to be at all concerned of her rudeness. It contrasts strangely with her enunciated and somewhat educated speech.

Lycar
2007-07-09, 12:37 AM
Akim

Smiling slightly, Akim answers "Very well, introductions are in order then. I am Akim Kar'zad, of clan Kar'zad. Maybe you have heard about my family ? We are renowed for our knowledge in things arcane mostly, but this by no means our only area of expertise. Although, i must admit, few people will have heard about us outside of davethra i suppose."

Turning to Kizima, still smiling he asks "Now, if you could get yourself to overcome your fear of parting with your name we might get finished with introducions and return to the buisines at hand, yes ?"

Lycar

Ozzy_G
2007-07-09, 06:04 AM
Rego seems surprised that you don't all know each other's names, presumably he thought you were friends. He doesn't mention that though. Replying to Krashnix, he says The sea shouldn't be too bad this time of year, the trip by boat will only take about 9 or 10 days. Or, if you really don't want to do that, we could just travel around the edge by horse. But that would take much longer.

Regwon
2007-07-09, 07:19 AM
Krashnix

We were all introduced a moment ago, except the small woman, who was yet to reveal what she is called. If she does not choose to tell us what she is called then that is her own choice, even though it might breed mistrust amongst the rest of us.

He turns to Rego Vel

Is there any way can get there faster? In a day or two parhaps? If we take over a week it could be unfathomably harder to raise the friends we need to. If such a time frame isn't possible then we may have to refuse, for the time being at least.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-09, 07:31 AM
The man hesitates, an uneasy look on his face. It... it is possible to get there and back in a few days. But it would be extremely dangerous. You know about the Illithid ruins to the south? There is a portal there, that leads to another set of Illithid ruins on the other side of the Bitter Sea. But that set of ruins... he leans forward, and whispers. The ruins have been taken over by a cult of Silarthis, the Great Serpent. If they caught us, they'd sacrifice us to their dark Elder God.

Brickwall
2007-07-09, 10:39 AM
Kizima

"If there are no bat-squids, I think the ruins might be fine. I can scout ahead when we need it, and I presume that our mages have some way of divining some extra information for us? If not, I think I can do well enough. And my name is Kizima, now that everyone else has introduced themselves. Wait, who is Silarthis again?"

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-09, 11:13 AM
Livina
There, that wasn't so hard, was it? Livina thinks, rolling her eyes.
Aloud, she says
"Siltharis is one of the really unpleasant ones, I think." She steeples her fingers together on the table. "They're into the whole death, poison, deception, sacrifice..."

Regwon
2007-07-09, 11:33 AM
Krashnix

Well then we have a choice. Either we risk mind rape and sacrifice to Siltharis, not something I'd like to endure, to get through the illithid ruins, and thus to the dwarven tomb, quickly or we risk not being able to resurrect your friends unless we take the job the archmage is supposed to be offering. He looks at Livina I know archmages aren't you most liked of people at the moment and to be honest I don't mind setting some Siltharis worshipers on fire. On the other hand traveling through two, possibly three, dungeons presents a lot more risk to us all.

Brickwall
2007-07-09, 12:28 PM
Kizima

Siltharis...Sil'taris! They sound so similar, how does that always slip my mind? Oh, well.

"I'm fine with the ruins, personally. Probably plenty of hiding places."

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-09, 12:37 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina nods, but her expression makes clear that she doesn't much like the situation. "I guess I could live with sneaking through." She turns to their prospective employer. "How good an idea do you have of where the portal is, once we get there? And how much stuff are you taking with you? a backpack? a mule? a wagon?"

Ozzy_G
2007-07-09, 12:46 PM
The scholar looks uneasy, but obviously the chance to get the books is too much for him to resist. I know where the portal in the ruins near here is. I don't know exactly where it comes out on the other side, but it isn't right in the middle of the cultists, I know that. If we're going that way, I'll bring some mules to carry things back.

Lycar
2007-07-09, 02:25 PM
Akim waves dismissivly "Just some evil serpent-god that enjoys to swallow sacrifices whole and alive. Preferably virgins. Their temples are said to be full of ill-gotten treasures though. Simple god, simple pleasures."

Lycar

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-09, 03:01 PM
Livina Lightfoot
"Hopefully simple cultists, too," Livina comments, sipping her water. Setting down the baked clay cup with a soft thunk, The Mokai woman looks around the table. "I'm in. We can scout out the other side of the portal before the noisy animals go through."

Regwon
2007-07-09, 04:33 PM
Krashnix

Good. Now that that has been decided, i suggest we leave first thing tomorrow, if not this evening. Time is critical and if one of us, Isana fend, is captured by cultists or trapped somewhere inexplicable I'd like to have as much time to rescue them as possible. So if you would all like to make your preparations for departure, let us meet back here in 6 hours or so to be ready to leave.

Krashnix turns to speak to Rego Vel

I trust that you will be paying for the hire of pack mules, after all this is your venture that you have requested we take part in. I also think that you should purchase an ample supply of rations and water. We could now be considered your employees or hirelings, and it would not reflect well on you if we were to starve or dehydrate to death. We will provide for ourselves as much as we can but you should not count on each one of us being entirely self sufficient. Such expedition are successful only if the group is greater than the sum of its parts, and you are no exception to this. I am Krashnix Dreamscape and i am pleased to make your acquaintance Rego Vel.

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-09, 04:40 PM
Livina Lightfoot
Livina raises a hand,
"Uh, no. I'm not interested in being called a hireling; I'm thinking of this more like a partnership. Our friend Rego here is providing us with the map and the location of the tomb, as well as a quick way to get there, but we're the ones who are providing him with the means of getting in and out alive, as well as back to civilization. He gets what he wants, and we get our share as well. Let me just repeat that; not a hireling." She smiles and raises her mug.
"'Sides that, I agree. But really, I'd be ready as soon as Rego can get his supplies together; I'd like to be on the road soon as possible."

Ozzy_G
2007-07-09, 04:54 PM
Yes, says Rego, I was thinking of it as a partnership. I provide the map, you provide the muscle, we all get rich. He grins, but he still seems slightly uneasy. He obviously was hoping to not have to go through an Illithid ruin full of evil cultists.
I'll return in 6 hours with mules and supplies then.
He stands up, bows slightly, and walks towards the door.

Lycar
2007-07-09, 05:34 PM
Akim gets up and offers a short nod at his new employer.

"Very well then, there are still some things that need to be taken care of though. Sir Krashnix ? Is your offer to accompany me to Sir Kesh still valid ?"

Akim waits for Krashnix's response, ready to go alone if need be.

Lycar