PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a politcal and military drama setting

whisperwind1
2015-11-30, 05:15 PM
Hey all, i'm a huge fan of the Nobunaga's Ambition and Samurai Warriors franchises, and its gotten me thinking that I want to run something similar. The sort of military and political unification drama story, filled with allegiances and personal growth. The game where the PCs help decide the course of history, instead of just going into a tomb a slaying a lich or whatever.

Naturally I thought of using the Sengoku Period as a base, and that would be great since I know tons about it. But since my players aren't necessarily familiar with it, i'm also considering alternatives. Are there any settings dedicated to the sort of idea that i'm looking for? The sort of setting where every side has its heroes and villains, war and civil upheaval, that sort of stuff.

Any help would be appreciated!

VoxRationis
2015-11-30, 05:30 PM
Well, the Warring States or Three Kingdoms periods of Chinese history seem appropriate. The Hellenistic period in Western history would be another good place to get inspiration. Europe has had countless struggles through its history—pick a tech level you want and you can find a continent-spanning conflict to match.

LibraryOgre
2015-11-30, 05:39 PM
Are you looking for just a setting, or a system and a setting?

Given your enjoyment of Japanese history, you might consider using Legend of the Five Rings as a base... either directly in that setting, or for writing your own material for the actual Sengoku period. I've always been tempted to rehack the system into "Legend of the Seven Hills", and write something about the Republican Roman period, but lack the will to actually do so.

VoxRationis
2015-11-30, 06:15 PM
I've always been tempted to rehack the system into "Legend of the Seven Hills", and write something about the Republican Roman period, but lack the will to actually do so.

I wholeheartedly sympathize with your plight. I have a copy of 3rd Edition L5R and I am quite fond of the base mechanics of the system (separating reliability of skills from maximum potential of skills is something I can get behind, and I love systems where a character, even high-level, fears getting stabbed), and so I would love to apply it to other settings, but too much of it (particularly the schools, which impart most of the class flavor) is tied in with the L5R setting to make it an easy task.

whisperwind1
2015-12-01, 01:14 AM
Are you looking for just a setting, or a system and a setting?

Given your enjoyment of Japanese history, you might consider using Legend of the Five Rings as a base... either directly in that setting, or for writing your own material for the actual Sengoku period. I've always been tempted to rehack the system into "Legend of the Seven Hills", and write something about the Republican Roman period, but lack the will to actually do so.

Mainly i'm looking for a setting. System wise it'd probably be Pathfinder or something like that.

Cikomyr
2015-12-01, 06:42 AM
Game of Thrones.

Have fun.

Florian
2015-12-01, 07:21 AM
Mainly i'm looking for a setting. System wise it'd probably be Pathfinder or something like that.

I third recommending L5R and the rokugan setting.
What I wouldn't recommend is using a "gamey" system like PF for that, as you'll find yourself often in the situation that actions lead to consequences and a system should support that.

As for the setting besides something based on japan, I'd pick things where you can get a bunch of information from one or two books focusing on the background.
- Rome (Ab Urbe Condita, Discorsi)
- 12th century Florence (Istorie Florentine)
- Thirty Years War Holy Roman Empire
- Weimar Republic

VoxRationis
2015-12-01, 10:20 AM
I third recommending L5R and the rokugan setting.
What I wouldn't recommend is using a "gamey" system like PF for that, as you'll find yourself often in the situation that actions lead to consequences and a system should support that.

As for the setting besides something based on japan, I'd pick things where you can get a bunch of information from one or two books focusing on the background.
- Rome (Ab Urbe Condita, Discorsi)
- 12th century Florence (Istorie Florentine)
- Thirty Years War Holy Roman Empire
- Weimar Republic

I'm sorry—could you clarify that statement? Most systems support the idea that actions have consequences, I would think.

Florian
2015-12-01, 11:05 AM
I'm sorry—could you clarify that statement? Most systems support the idea that actions have consequences, I would think.

Most systems don't track how your actions actually influence both, your character and how the world around him sees him and what they expect from him.
L5R and Pendragon do this, amongst some really unknown other systems.
If you want, it's about the connection to the larger world.

BRC
2015-12-01, 11:27 AM
The issue is that this sort of game relies on/thrives off of having a large number of factions, each with a corresponding cast of NPCs, which can mean a LOT of names and details that are difficult to keep track of. Wherever you pick, you need to make sure that each faction has distinct naming schemes, traits, and motivations, to make it easier to remember.

Personally, I say mash up several cultures/time periods. Have one Faction inspired by warring states Japan, another takes it's inspiration from Rome, another draws inspiration from northern africa, another is Norse, ect ect.

So, when you say "The 12th Legion, commanded by Consul Lucinius Maximus is camped here. They have recently been skirmishing with troops commanded by Olaf The Red" the PC's have an easier time remembering what is going on (Pseudo-Rome is trying to hold onto it's old empire. Psuedo-Vikings are being pushed out of their old homelands by a supernatural curse of endless winter, and are trying to conquer a new home)

MrStabby
2015-12-01, 01:29 PM
Macbeth.

You have a Scotland with a weak king, plentiful potential usurpers, Thanes of questionable loyalty, ambition and struggles for power. You have a church but nefarious magic outside it. You have potential enemies to the south and over the sea. The kingdom needs to unite under a strong ruler just to survive.

BRC
2015-12-01, 01:50 PM
Macbeth.

You have a Scotland with a weak king, plentiful potential usurpers, Thanes of questionable loyalty, ambition and struggles for power. You have a church but nefarious magic outside it. You have potential enemies to the south and over the sea. The kingdom needs to unite under a strong ruler just to survive.

Some sort of Pseudo-Scotland would actually be amazing.

Pressure from the pseduo-english to the south, Witches running around handing out prophecies, big swords, plenty of Castles, Clan rivalries. A visual aesthetic close enough to standard D&D that just about everything can fit without seeming out of place, but with some unique features.

Bards using Bagpipes.

LibraryOgre
2015-12-01, 02:04 PM
Some sort of Pseudo-Scotland would actually be amazing.

Pressure from the pseduo-english to the south, Witches running around handing out prophecies, big swords, plenty of Castles, Clan rivalries. A visual aesthetic close enough to standard D&D that just about everything can fit without seeming out of place, but with some unique features.

Bards using Bagpipes.

Don't forget pressure from the sea, in the form of Vikings. Toss in a demonic bear for Brave call-outs.

whisperwind1
2015-12-01, 02:05 PM
The issue is that this sort of game relies on/thrives off of having a large number of factions, each with a corresponding cast of NPCs, which can mean a LOT of names and details that are difficult to keep track of. Wherever you pick, you need to make sure that each faction has distinct naming schemes, traits, and motivations, to make it easier to remember.

Personally, I say mash up several cultures/time periods. Have one Faction inspired by warring states Japan, another takes it's inspiration from Rome, another draws inspiration from northern africa, another is Norse, ect ect.

So, when you say "The 12th Legion, commanded by Consul Lucinius Maximus is camped here. They have recently been skirmishing with troops commanded by Olaf The Red" the PC's have an easier time remembering what is going on (Pseudo-Rome is trying to hold onto it's old empire. Psuedo-Vikings are being pushed out of their old homelands by a supernatural curse of endless winter, and are trying to conquer a new home)

That could work, although the political and military drama aspect of it might benefit from a single area of influence.

What draws me to the Sengoku Period is that its both epic and personal, and part of that I think is because it all takes place in a single nation at war with itself. That sort of factional civil conflict works better when everyone is in a cultural/social sphere doesn't it?

Also i'd totally run ASIFRP, but one of my players doesn't want to wreck continuity lol.

Also also, Pathfinder can adequately simulate political and social situations. The Consequences of actions is something the GM can handle I think.

BRC
2015-12-01, 02:11 PM
Don't forget pressure from the sea, in the form of Vikings. Toss in a demonic bear for Brave call-outs.

Demon-Bears, The Pseudo-English (if they invade, the Clans unite and fight them off, so they're looking for a clan to serve as a puppet), Vikings threatening the coast. Clans with histories and grudges and rivalries.

Yeah, I'm liking the sound of Scotland.

LibraryOgre
2015-12-01, 03:26 PM
Demon-Bears, The Pseudo-English (if they invade, the Clans unite and fight them off, so they're looking for a clan to serve as a puppet), Vikings threatening the coast. Clans with histories and grudges and rivalries.

Yeah, I'm liking the sound of Scotland.

Don't forget cultural tensions between the clans... Scotland has Highlanders v. Lowlanders, but you might also make the River Clans more cosmopolitan, with some non-violent ties to the Viking-expys, and trade relations with the pseudo-English, or even far away folks.

Or consider religious tension; you can have sectarian rivalries within a faith, or the old "traditional religion v. newcomer religion" that's so popular in the demi-Celtic environs.

Consider the types of magic available, and people's relationships with them. Are wizards held in high regard? Are most arcane spellcasters bards, sorcerers, or wizards? If there's a prejudice, why, and how does it manifest?