PDA

View Full Version : new to d&d, what adventure should i run?

Doomwhispo
2015-11-30, 07:55 PM
Hello, I just started playing d&d 5e a while back with my friends. Unfortunately all of us are new to the game so I took it upon myself to be the dm. Having fun and we are halfway through the starters box now (more or less)
I was looking at what to run next, but there seem to be only 2 other adventures available for 5e? Where can I get more to choose from? If there aren't any, how hard would it be to adapt to 5e an adventure from a previous edition, for a noob like me?
So.. any advice on what to run next?

Safety Sword
2015-11-30, 08:57 PM
Hoard of the Dragon Queen (HotDQ) is logically next, but be warned, there are some super hard encounters early on in the adventure.

Other than that, the adventure progresses quite linearly so it is easy to DM.

I actually think Princes of the Apocalypse (PotA) is better laid out, but I can't say I've run it.

Out of the Abyss (OotA) is a great module, but honestly I think it's a bit better suited to slightly more experienced players (who know when to run away!).

Doomwhispo
2015-12-01, 09:32 AM
Ok so I basically have 3 choices, all theese modules go from lvl 1 to 15?

Rhaegar
2015-12-01, 10:11 AM
Ok so I basically have 3 choices, all theese modules go from lvl 1 to 15?

They are all essentially lv 1-15, yes. the Princes of the Apocalypse main campaign content is lv3-15, but they give you several mini-adventures around town in order to level you up from 1-3.

You could potentially take your characters from the starter box directly into the PotA campaign if your players felt invested in them and wanted to keep them. I believe you end up around lv5 with the starter box. The characters would be a little powerful at the start, but it would even out quickly enough.

Falcon X
2015-12-01, 10:28 AM
For a new group, Hoard of the Dragon Queen is the only thing I'm comfortable recommending.

If you were more experienced, I might recommend porting in one from another edition, making your own, or using Out of the Abyss. However, Hoard is designed for groups just like yours. It's somewhat linear, and lays out to you all you need to know.
That being said, Hoard of the Dragon Queen is pretty flawed. The enemies aren't horribly interesting, it only dives a little into lore, and it's more linear than some like. If you do these, I strongly recommend you read blogs like Sly Flourish about how to spice up the games: http://slyflourish.com/greenest_in_flames.html

Personally, I found Out of the Abyss to be by far the most fun of the edition, and possibly several editions. The adventures are quirky, the NPCs and enemies are interesting, and the players feel very much like they are driving the plot. However, it takes high micromanagement from the DM and players, does best with DM knowledge of the Underdark (Read the 1st 2 Drizzt books), and assumes DMs who know how to get creative and flow with every situation.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-12-01, 10:53 AM
I own and have read Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but decided against running it after LMoP. I went with Princes of the Apocalypse instead and am in the early phases of running it.

HotDQ is very linear, and is set up nearly like a season of a TV show, with a set plot and direction and timing. Player agency is more limited and as a DM you'll have to work to keep them on track if the players try to steer off from the main plot. But if your players just want to enjoy the ride, it's fine for that. Lots of action will be delivered. The more linear plot would make DM preparation easy to manage I would imagine.

PotA is much more exploration based, set up like an Elder Scrolls game. To begin I just gave my players an unmarked map of the area, told them the setup (a trade delegation has gone missing) and asked them what they wanted to do. So they wander about, asking questions, making investigations and killing those who need killing and I tell/show them what they discover in this wide open space. We lost a PC already due to them messing with the wrong group too early. But that came from the party's choices.
This did front-load a fair amount of my work as DM, as I never really know where the party might be heading next so I need to prepare all the most likely outcomes. But hey, even if something I prepared isn't used today, it's very likely to see use down the line.

Edit: I can't speak to Out of the Abyss since I haven't read it or spoiled myself on it. I'm secretly hoping someone will get the DM itch and I can finally take a go as a player.

Shining Wrath
2015-12-01, 12:06 PM
I'm part way through Hoard, and I agree it's quite linear. They even divide it into Episodes. It is suitable (barely) for my 8 year old; by which I mean, she's able to follow the plot so far, and the challenges posed have not been too difficult for her to figure out how to respond with her characters.

I recommend running 5 characters, not 4, and being willing to generate characters using a method more generous than standard array / point buy.

At first level, they throw the part against an adult blue dragon using its breath weapon and then flying away until it recharges; the dragon also might attack mooks rather than the party, and retreats after 25 points of damage. Natheless - first level party, high teens CR monster, possibility of TPK if party bunches up and dragon decides to attack them. That's just one example of "Wow this is hard" in Hoard.

MightyDog16
2015-12-01, 12:18 PM
I'm DMing a group of 4 through OotA currently. I have one year D&D experience and this is my first try at DM. The campaign feels daunting at first because it really is up to the players what they want to do and you can't be prepared for everything. It does give you a solid start that should take up the first session. Then I found that if I simply ask what they intend to do next, that I could easily prepare for the next week in about an hour or two on my own. It's working out well and the campaign is pretty fun. Previous Underdark knowledge would help the DM in describing the areas (someone recommended the first couple Drizzt books, those are good reads anyway). So yeah, hope this helps.

ChelseaNH
2015-12-01, 12:40 PM
If there aren't any, how hard would it be to adapt to 5e an adventure from a previous edition, for a noob like me?

I haven't gone through the process myself, but there are plenty of people who have ported adventures from older versions to 5e. You should be able to find posts/articles about their experiences pretty easily. I'm probably going to go that route when my game finishes up with the starter kit.

Envyus
2015-12-01, 12:59 PM
Princes of the Apocalypse actually has info on how to continue from the Starter Set to it.

I also think its a really good adventure.

Doomwhispo
2015-12-01, 06:10 PM
Ok thanks alot guys for the tips. :)
I don't wanna play something that's too linear(hotdq) I'd rather put some more time in to preparing it and play something that really gives my pc the feeling that they are in control

Pota or Oota, I'm leaning slightly towards Oota even if it's a bit harder but im gona read a bit more about them both and ask my pc's as well. Anymore tips are welcome :)

Safety Sword
2015-12-01, 06:38 PM
Ok thanks alot guys for the tips. :)
I don't wanna play something that's too linear(hotdq) I'd rather put some more time in to preparing it and play something that really gives my pc the feeling that they are in control

Pota or Oota, I'm leaning slightly towards Oota even if it's a bit harder but im gona read a bit more about them both and ask my pc's as well. Anymore tips are welcome :)

I would say that OotA is quite party dependent too. It's a very hard adventure to run and make work if characters don't have certain abilities - Darkvision for all characters is basically essential.