PDA

View Full Version : DM gave my character a new weapon not sure if i should use it

Nosta
2015-11-30, 08:00 PM
I play A dusk blade level 15 and the DM through a female elf black smith npc gifted me a +3 platinum keen wrathful healing falcion with an extra 5ft reach. the blade is on a pole.

Also what would be the damage of a gold great Axe for a medium size user

Âmesang
2015-11-30, 08:31 PM
A medium-sized golden great axe would deal 2d8 base damage, using the rules for "heavy weapons" from Forgotten Realms: Magic of Faerûn, p.179 (makes me realize I haven't played Golden Axe in far too many years…). Granted it's 3.0 material, so I've personally ruled that heavy weapons inflict damage as a weapon one size category larger, but otherwise follow the same rules for heavy weapons; though it hasn't come up in any of my games, yet. Just keeps it a bit simpler, especially since there's no conversion given for a 2d4 weapon like a falchion.

I don't really have an opinion one-way-or-another regarding that platinum falchion, aside from wondering how it's supposed to work on a pole. Wouldn't that make it more like a glaive/guisarme/guan dao?

DrMotives
2015-11-30, 08:38 PM
I don't really have an opinion one-way-or-another regarding that platinum falchion, aside from wondering how it's supposed to work on a pole. Wouldn't that make it more like a glaive/guisarme/guan dao?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Sounds like your DM doesn't really have an idea what all the weapons in the PH are, what they actually look like.

Âmesang
2015-11-30, 08:53 PM
Though to be fair I once had a referee who gave one of my characters the "spoon blade."

"The head of the sword looks spoon-like and it has ten holes running down the blade. You have a strong urge to grasp its hilt.
That was over four years ago and I still have no idea how to picture that in my mind, though numerous times I've made the argument that if one's going to go down that route you might as well have spoon=bludgeoning, fork=piercing, and knife=slashing. Or… something…

WeaselGuy
2015-11-30, 11:27 PM
Though to be fair I once had a referee who gave one of my characters the "spoon blade."

That was over four years ago and I still have no idea how to picture that in my mind, though numerous times I've made the argument that if one's going to go down that route you might as well have spoon=bludgeoning, fork=piercing, and knife=slashing. Or… something…

http://www.bladeplay.com/imgs/butterfly-knives/under-15/bladeplay-butterfly-spoon-satin-gpbfsp-thumb.jpg

eh?