PDA

View Full Version : Rope Trick(Spell) List of Creative Uses

The Shadowdove
2015-11-30, 08:17 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks to my group's first 5e wizard reaching level 3 (Yay, woo, cheer) I'd like to begin compiling a useful list of ways to incorporate their new "Rope Trick" Spell!

Use this thread to list uses for the Rope Trick Spell, or ask questions on how to use it.

I'll list them up here as they go.

List:

1) Escape Drowning for 1 Hour.
2) Time an Explosion (1 hour it falls out/detonates)

-Dismiss for surprise confetti party
3) Hide

-From angry fathers
-Bodies
-For a quickie/adult purposes
-For a short rest

4) As a noose

-Execution
-Suicide
-Murder
-Intimidation/interrogation
5) Chain multiples to swing from (Tarzan style)
6) To use for climbing up things (not the extra-dimensional space)

-Escape from pit trap
7) As Cover (Duck in/out while ranged attacking/spells)
8) Tie a weight to the rope and swing it from above as a wrecking ball
9) Entertainment

-self
-make money
-distraction

Keep at it everyone, I'll keep updating it!

-Dove

The Shadowdove
2015-11-30, 08:34 PM
can you move the space?

Such as, by pulling the rope.

krugaan
2015-11-30, 08:37 PM
- hide from angry dwarven father (with dwarven daughter)
- mimic rope of climbing
- hide bodies while stealthing through the fortress of doom
- daisy chain rope tricks to tarzan your way over a long pit (edit: just read the spell again, this might not work)
- insta-tree-fort: no gurlz allowd

INTERROGATION TOOL:
1 - capture bad guy
2 - cast rope trick
3 - tie noose to end of rope
4 - bring bad guy into interdimensional space
5 - place noose around neck of bad guy
6 - "tell me what the secret password is or i'm gonna snap your neck"

PORTABLE WIZARD COVER:
1 - cast rope trick on a 5' rope, climb inside
2 - climb out, cast fireball, climb in
3 - repeat 2 until everything is dead
4 - profit

Madbox
2015-11-30, 08:55 PM
Short rest, any time, anywhere, even in dungeons.

Escape from pit traps.

Tie a weight to the end, climb up the rope, start swinging for an improvised wrecking ball.

Fill space with shredded paper and candy, dismiss spell for one heck of a surprise party.

DracoKnight
2015-12-01, 01:24 AM
I think I saw my favorite use for this spell in a one shot.

The Half-Elf Assassin just saved the High-Elf Conjurer from being killed by a rather feisty Young Red Dragon.

Upon the his next turn, the High-Elf used Rope Trick above himself, used his free world interaction to throw the assassin over his shoulder, and the his movement to climb up the rope. They spent the next hour playing some very raunchy games for two.

JackPhoenix
2015-12-01, 08:50 AM
Put on a show for money, as with the original Indian rope trick (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_rope_trick)

Iguanodon
2015-12-01, 11:46 AM
Cast it in free fall to avoid full falling damage. Also helps with escaping collapsing buildings.

Or they can make a nice meteorological device: hanging a rock from the rope can indicate the current weather conditions: If the rock is wet, it's raining; if it's white, it's snowing; if it's waving around it's probably pretty windy. If the players have trouble finding a rock they can just make a low Perception roll.

KorvinStarmast
2015-12-01, 12:51 PM
Fill space with shredded paper and candy, dismiss spell for one heck of a surprise party.Great idea, love it.

Alternately, fill it with members of the town guard and then dismiss it as you sing ...

"It's raining men, halleluah (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5aZJBLAu1E)!"

krugaan
2015-12-01, 01:32 PM
Great idea, love it.

Alternately, fill it with members of the town guard and then dismiss it as you sing ...

"It's raining men, halleluah (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5aZJBLAu1E)!"

hahaha, had to lol at that one.

Shaofoo
2015-12-01, 03:17 PM
Do note that in order to get to the safety of the rope you will have to actually climb the rope, which might make the Str dumping Wizard be unable to use his own rope trick as he fails Athletics check after Athletics check to climb up.

krugaan
2015-12-01, 03:26 PM
Do note that in order to get to the safety of the rope you will have to actually climb the rope, which might make the Str dumping Wizard be unable to use his own rope trick as he fails Athletics check after Athletics check to climb up.

I can see it now...

DRAGON: RAAWWWWR

PARTY: AUUUUGGHHHH!

WIZARD: Rope Trick! I climb to safety! /rolls I Fail!

BARBARIAN: I climb to safety!

WARRIOR: I climb to safety!

WIZARD: PULL ME UP!!!!!

BARBARIAN: hahahah, suckit wizard!

DRAGON: WHOOOOOOHFIREBREATH

WIZARD: ********dies

JellyPooga
2015-12-01, 04:33 PM
I can see it now...

DRAGON: RAAWWWWR

PARTY: AUUUUGGHHHH!

WIZARD: Rope Trick! I climb to safety! /rolls I Fail!

BARBARIAN: I climb to safety!

WARRIOR: I climb to safety!

WIZARD: PULL ME UP!!!!!

BARBARIAN: hahahah, suckit wizard!

BARBARIAN: *ducks inside*

WIZARD: *looks around suspiciously. Looks up at Dragon* "Dinner will just be a few moments, my lord" *bows, summons cauldron, lights fire, dismisses Rope Trick*

krugaan
2015-12-01, 05:02 PM
BARBARIAN: *ducks inside*

WIZARD: *looks around suspiciously. Looks up at Dragon* "Dinner will just be a few moments, my lord" *bows, summons cauldron, lights fire, dismisses Rope Trick*

Hah, all dragon's know that one adventurer in the gullet is worth two in the rope trick.

rlc
2015-12-01, 05:14 PM
Magic lasso.

krugaan
2015-12-01, 05:58 PM
time to start combining ideas:

rope trick + noose + Halfling + immovable rod

TETHER-HOBBIT

Christian
2015-12-02, 01:33 PM

It's even worse than that. The Climb skill is used for attempting to "climb a sheer or slippery cliff, avoid hazards while scaling a wall, or cling to a surface while something is trying to knock you off." There are no rules for climbing ropes (which is obviously a very different thing from climbing a sheer or slippery cliff). So, that's clearly impossible in the game and this spell is totally useless.

Seriously, what DM asks for Strength (Climb) checks from characters climbing ropes? Does he also ask for Charisma (Persuade) checks from characters ordering drinks at the tavern? Wisdom (Perception) checks to see the flagon of ale they ordered sitting on the bar? When they throw themselves at the ground, do they have to make an attack roll, and do they just float away if they miss? (h/t Douglas Adams)

EvanescentHero
2015-12-02, 02:36 PM
Seriously, what DM asks for Strength (Climb) checks from characters climbing ropes? Does he also ask for Charisma (Persuade) checks from characters ordering drinks at the tavern? Wisdom (Perception) checks to see the flagon of ale they ordered sitting on the bar? When they throw themselves at the ground, do they have to make an attack roll, and do they just float away if they miss? (h/t Douglas Adams)

Asking for an Athletics check to climb a rope is a perfectly reasonable request.

On top of that, even if I didn't require a check for the wizard to climb the rope, I would sure as hell ask for one while said wizard was busy hanging on with one hand and flinging spells around with the other.

krugaan
2015-12-02, 02:43 PM
Asking for an Athletics check to climb a rope is a perfectly reasonable request.

On top of that, even if I didn't require a check for the wizard to climb the rope, I would sure as hell ask for one while said wizard was busy hanging on with one hand and flinging spells around with the other.

that's why you make the rope as short as possible when using it for cover, so the check won't be as difficult. Sure, climbing the full 60' is impossible given movement values, but climbing 4-5' should be perfectly doable, or an easy DC.

Shaofoo
2015-12-02, 04:12 PM
It's even worse than that. The Climb skill is used for attempting to "climb a sheer or slippery cliff, avoid hazards while scaling a wall, or cling to a surface while something is trying to knock you off." There are no rules for climbing ropes (which is obviously a very different thing from climbing a sheer or slippery cliff). So, that's clearly impossible in the game and this spell is totally useless.

Just because it sets an example doesn't mean that lesser situations are free pass. Those are examples but they aren't everything that an Athletics checks will cover and that everything else is a free pass

Seriously, what DM asks for Strength (Climb) checks from characters climbing ropes?

I would ask for a check on Strengthdump the Wizard with a Str of 8, Verystrong the Fighter with a Str of 20 will probably have his check waived thanks to his Strength of 20 and proficiency in Athletics checks. Besides it has been a staple that climbing a naked rope to not be something that anyone can do on a whim.

Does he also ask for Charisma (Persuade) checks from characters ordering drinks at the tavern?

Depends on the situation, if you want something more from the tavern or if you are ordering in a hostile environment. Asking for a check to order drinks isn't so outlandish when you think of the reasons.

Wisdom (Perception) checks to see the flagon of ale they ordered sitting on the bar? When they throw themselves at the ground, do they have to make an attack roll, and do they just float away if they miss? (h/t Douglas Adams)

Friendly advice for the future: If you want people to take you seriously do not engage in pointless hyperbole, it obfuscates the point that you are trying to make and it paints you in an unflattering light. Maybe you should rein back any such examples and just say that climbing rope shouldn't require a check (which I think it should if the person isn't physically adept, if the person has strength then I can waive that just like I can waive the wizard to make intelligence checks on magic while the fighter will have a hard time dealing with something outside his sphere)

krugaan
2015-12-02, 04:35 PM
can you climb a 60' rope? it's much harder than you think.

Then, ask yourself how fast you can climb a rope in 6 seconds.

Hudsonian
2015-12-02, 04:58 PM
obfuscates the point

Dude, I think your whole post was on point but special props for using a rare and precise work like obfuscate. Well done sir!

krugaan
2015-12-02, 07:13 PM
Dude, I think your whole post was on point but special props for using a rare and precise work like obfuscate. Well done sir!

/notsureifserus

Merudo
2018-09-21, 02:05 PM
Can you make knots in the rope to eliminate strength checks? Climbing a rope with knots is literally child's play (there was a rope at my school for that very purpose, I'm pretty sure all kids could climb it)

Sigreid
2018-09-21, 02:08 PM
Short rest, any time, anywhere, even in dungeons.

Escape from pit traps.

Tie a weight to the end, climb up the rope, start swinging for an improvised wrecking ball.

Fill space with shredded paper and candy, dismiss spell for one heck of a surprise party.

I was thinking fill it with large rocks...

opticalshadow
2018-09-21, 02:57 PM
Can you make knots in the rope to eliminate strength checks? Climbing a rope with knots is literally child's play (there was a rope at my school for that very purpose, I'm pretty sure all kids could do it)

I dont think it should negate the check , since while knots help IRL, they are not anywhere as close as easy to use as a ladder.

i would say they would grant advantage on the check though.

Man_Over_Game
2018-09-21, 03:46 PM
Let's not forget that your Climb speed is generally 50% of your standard speed. Assuming it takes your action to cast the spell, and you spend all remaining normal actions/speed to move up the rope, and you use it at the end of turn 1, you'll be in the thing with an action and no speed on turn 3.

So it takes you roughly 18 seconds to get up the 60 foot rope. That's about 3.3 feet a second.

krugaan
2018-09-21, 08:59 PM
Merudo: I cast raise dead.

DM: the thread is like 3 years old.

Merudo: I do it anyway!

Callak_Remier
2018-09-22, 07:41 AM
Rope trick. A very expensive assasination tool. Give someone a bag of holding have them enter the Rope trick. Boom

Merudo
2018-09-22, 10:19 AM
Let's not forget that your Climb speed is generally 50% of your standard speed. Assuming it takes your action to cast the spell, and you spend all remaining normal actions/speed to move up the rope, and you use it at the end of turn 1, you'll be in the thing with an action and no speed on turn 3.

So it takes you roughly 18 seconds to get up the 60 foot rope. That's about 3.3 feet a second.

So you use a 15 foot rope instead, and use your free item interaction action at the end to pull the rope up.

Slayn82
2018-09-22, 11:20 AM
Rope trick is the "I'm gonna take a short rest now" spell. Also the "I'm gonna drop an anvil on your head" spell.

The portal itself is invisible. What do you see if you look at someone who is part inside, part outside? Yeah, magic tomography.

Also, put the entrance over a segment of stairs that you plan to pass later. You enter and hide the piece of rope. Whoever comes after, will follow the normal path of the stairs, so it's a decent miss direction. Put the portal under a table or bed, and you have the perfect place for an ambush or hide a thief to take something.

stoutstien
2018-09-22, 05:29 PM
I've made an time bomb with it to take out a presueing horde of orcs. Cast it and filled it with barrlels of oil and a few alchemist fires. place a bait treasure for them to argue over under it and wait for the spell to expire.

Dalebert
2018-09-22, 07:04 PM
There are some climbing situations that I don't bother with checks for out of combat but in a stressful situation, I make them a DC 10. You're trying to climb quickly and while you're dodging arrows and crap, e.g. trees and ropes.

Teaguethebean
2018-09-22, 07:36 PM
Seriously, what DM asks for Strength (Climb) checks from characters climbing ropes? Does he also ask for Charisma (Persuade) checks from characters ordering drinks at the tavern? Wisdom (Perception) checks to see the flagon of ale they ordered sitting on the bar? When they throw themselves at the ground, do they have to make an attack roll, and do they just float away if they miss? (h/t Douglas Adams)[/QUOTE]

I feel like climbing a rope takes some effort so i could see a strength check

Dalebert
2018-09-22, 07:43 PM
Outside of initiative/combat, you climb a rope no problem. I assume you take your time and are cautious, maybe even loop the rope around your waist for a little extra traction. In combat or other time-sensitive context, DC 10 to climb up the rope at half speed. Same applies to other situations like climbing a tree. Out of combat, you just climb the tree. You have plenty of time to do it carefully. Want to climb the tree at half your speed in combat? DC 10.

DC 10 is HIGH btw! Characters who are athletically inclined will manage it most of the time. Someone with str 8 and no athletics proficiency will fail half the time!