PDA

View Full Version : Alcoholic Beverages from Major Creation

thompur
2015-12-01, 12:07 AM
I'm playing a Binder in a game where wealth is rather scarce. My favored vestige is Zecryll and I owe a tavern owner a great deal of money. If I summon a Genii to use major creation to make whiskey or mead, would that qualify as plant matter(meaning it would be permanent)? I'm kind of assuming so. That would be 20 cubic feet of whiskey. How many barrels will I need to hold it all?

Geddy2112
2015-12-01, 12:25 AM
Well, major creation says you could make it from mineral matter as well. But the grain/yeast aspect certainly would be vegtable, and the alcohol organic.... I would say yes.

There are ~7.5 gallons in a cubic foot. Assuming you are using 55 gallon kegs, that is a little under three kegs.

Darrin
2015-12-01, 12:37 AM
If I summon a Genii to use major creation to make whiskey or mead, would that qualify as plant matter(meaning it would be permanent)?

Yes, this counts as vegetable matter. From a historical standpoint, the djinn could summon food and wine. And if wine counts, I don't see why whiskey or mead wouldn't. I can maybe see quibbling over mead, as honey has to be regurgitated by bees, but I'm not sure how much of the end-product would be considered non-vegetable.

I'm kind of assuming so. That would be 20 cubic feet of whiskey. How many barrels will I need to hold it all?

20 cubic feet = 566 liters. The standard (modern) whiskey barrel is 200 liters (53 gallons). So you'd get 2.83 barrels of whiskey.

Âmesang
2015-12-01, 12:39 AM
How about saké/rice wine? You may (or may not) fetch a higher price depending on its rarity in your game's setting.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-12-01, 04:24 AM
That doesn't work. Any of a summoned creatures spells expire when the summoning ends.
To get the permanent Major Creation from a Djinni you'd have to call it, like with Planar Binding.

Crake
2015-12-01, 05:52 AM
True creation is an 8th level spell that wish could emulate. That said, you need to remember that anything that would require a craft check to produce from raw materials would also require a craft check to produce via minor/major/true creation, so you'd need to roll a craft (alchemy) (or whatever skill your DM deems appropriate for making alcohol) to actually make the alcohol.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-12-01, 06:36 AM
True creation is an 8th level spell that wish could emulate. That said, you need to remember that anything that would require a craft check to produce from raw materials would also require a craft check to produce via minor/major/true creation, so you'd need to roll a craft (alchemy) (or whatever skill your DM deems appropriate for making alcohol) to actually make the alcohol.

True Creation is not a wizard/sorcerer spell, so you can't emulate it with Wish (at least not safely). You can duplicate it with Miracle if you're a cleric with the Creation domain, but in that case you could just cast it normally.

And paying 5000xp for a comparatively tiny bit of alcohol is a pretty sad bargain. Unless you get free wishes you'd have a ton of better options to make money. Even if you do, you can just wish up gold or other rare materials and sell them.

You could also just buy raw materials and use Fabricate instead, if you have the necessary craft skill (or Int bonus).
It's probably not craft (alchemy), because that would mean only spellcasters could make alcohol.